Chapter 45: More Than A Mage-Guard
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 45:

More Than A Mage-Guard

(Narrative POV)

The Vossen Empire. The center of the known world. It has stood for many generations under the guidance of wise, powerful rulers. These rulers all came from the distinguished Vossen-Stone Family. This was to be expected, for it was they who founded the Vossen Empire.

In its history, there have been wars. Many, many wars. There were years where Rulers urged for peace, and prosperity filled the land. There were times when the Empire was ravaged by bloody conflict. It has stood proud and radiant through it all.

However, never, in all its years, has there been a time where the Empire has fallen so low. There was always a single constant through the entire history of the Vossen Empire. The Vossen-Stone Family never fought amongst itself.

There were many who said that, should that ever happen, the Empire would fall. Gwenevere Vossen-Stone had heard these stories her entire life, but she realized the truth of such a thing. The reason the Vossen-Stone Family never fought amongst itself...it was so that the snakes who surrounded them couldn't make their nest. A single crack in the wall that was the Vossen-Stone Family, and a snake would find its way inside.

They would slowly strangle them until they could no longer breath. Gwen realized early on what she had to do. Cut off the rotten part. Get rid of the foot that prevents the rest of the leg from working. The hand that no longer listens to the arm, is not a hand that is needed.

She was in a sea of enemies, all alone against the tide...until she found shore. She built upon it a foundation that would stand the test of time. No matter how the waves crashed against it, it would not bend. It would not bow.

She would master the sea and weather the storm. The radiance which faded in the Empire, she would reignite. She would remind everyone what the Empire truly stood for. All that was in her way was the one who started it all. The one who allowed the snakes inside.

The Emperor, her Father, Albert Vossen-Stone.

Of course, she did not see him as a father. To her, she had none. Only her Mother, Queen of the Elves, Lucine El'Vaari, and her younger twin siblings, Evelina and Elric, were in any way related to her. You might ask of any other family.

Perhaps the siblings of Albert or Lucine. Yes, they existed, but in his youth, when he took the throne, Albert pushed them away. They live a life far from here. Far from the worries and woes of the Empire. As for Lucine, her siblings were few. One brother and one sister, who had taken charge in her stead after she had married Albert.

They are not relevant to this story, taking more of a backseat to this conflict, or having nothing to do with it at all. Yet, they do exist. Gwen, however, had never really met them.

Perhaps one day she would meet them, but until that day comes, she must remain focus, and focused she was. She rose from the ashes, swam among the overwhelming swells, and stood upon the shore defiant and ready to fight. She conquered the North, took the West, and now as she returned to camp, news of the East surrendering to her forces.

In the Capital, Sol'Valen, news of this reached The Emperor's ears. He did not doubt that his daughter, Gwenevere, would fail. He had known for a while just how strong his daughter had become. He was proud of her, but knew what would need to be done for the Empire to be born anew.

He did not ask for forgiveness, and she would give none. It did not matter his reasons or the lies he told himself. What mattered is that the Empire was rotting, and in order for it to thrive once more, it had to be cleansed. Whether through death, or some other means of removal.

Thus, the Army of the Phoenix found itself outside of the gates to Sol'Valen. Its grand walls were before them...and the gates were open. It was an invitation, and one that Gwen expected. The Emperor did send that letter...but she was not going to go alone.

-----

(Gwen's POV)

"...Will he keep his word?" Gwen inquired of her mother who stood beside her overlooking the beautiful city of Sol'Valen.

"Albert is a stubborn bastard," her mother told her, "He pushed the Noble Faction and the Queen-Consorts from the city when they tried to take it...he forced the fight at Northshall. He's expecting you."

Gwen gritted her teeth, not liking this one bit. Sol'Valen was a large, vast city of several districts which spanned an incredible amount of land. There were multiple walls that separated each, and a few rivers and streams which ran through. They were connected to the glistening, pristine lake nearby.

At its edge sat the Palace. An incredibly large structure that was almost a small city in and of itself. Its gleaming, elegant towers and imposing stone looked oddly unfamiliar. She hadn't looked upon it in almost a year now. There was a certain disconnect when looking upon it, as she knew that it is where everything began...and where everything would end.

"I almost don't recognize it," Gwen chuckled, shaking her head, "He really wishes to fight me...end this with a one on one duel."

"Will you do it?" her mother asked, "Give him the death he asks for?"

"...Does he even deserve it?" Gwen scoffed, "After everything he's done. After all the pain and ruin he's allowed to befall not only his own family, but the Empire he's sworn to protect and it's people...does he really deserve the easy way out?"

"You know he doesn't have long, right?" she countered, watching Gwen with a keen eye, "The last I saw him...the poison had burrowed deep."

"As you said, he's stubborn," Gwen stated with a slight shrug, "He'll hold out, and you...well, if you wanted to, while you can't cure him...you could prolong his life."

"You assume I want to," her mother replied with a slight smirk, "I suppose I still do care for the man, but any love I held in my heart for him has long since dried up. If he wishes for death...I saw give it to him."

There was a solemn silence that fell between them before she spoke once more.

"Perhaps in another life..." her mother mused wistfully, "He'll have some goddamn sense in that head of his."

Gwen chuckled at this, for it was just like her mother to say such a thing. Honestly, Gwen wasn't sure if death would make up for everything that The Emperor has done. That's why Gwen was punishing the Queen-Consorts and her older siblings, rather than killing them outright. They had to suffer and understand the weight of their sins, but for The Emperor...was it even possible?

Somehow, Gwen doubted it. Still, she wouldn't know until the time came. From the hill she stood upon with her mother, Gwen motioned for her army to march. The gates were open, and she knew that he wouldn't set a trap. It wasn't that he was incapable of it, but that he simply wouldn't.

Any fighting that would be done...would be between them.

-----

(Gwen's POV, Cont.)

Sol'Valen welcomed them with open arms. They had not yet won this war, yet the people celebrated as if they had. Gwen knew that she had won the peoples heart, but for them to act like this...it seemed like The Emperor had already told them about her arrival, and what she had come to do. They had been yearning for change...and today, that change would happen.

"...Gwen," Vincent rode up beside her, a comforting presence to be sure, "Is this not weird to you as well?"

"No," Gwen sighed, shaking her head, "I expected this. He's trying to win me over."

"What do you mean?" he tilted his head in that curiously adorable way of his.

"The Emperor..." Gwen paused for a moment, her gaze turning towards the palace which was looming closer every second, "He wishes for a duel. As a way to hand the Empire over to me...without explicitly declaring me the heir."

"I don't understand," Vincent furrowed his brow, "Why not step down if he wishes to give you the crown?"

"Because he's a stubborn bastard," Gwen clenched her jaw as she spoke, "He thinks his death will make up for all the shit he's done."

"Are you expecting trouble?" Vincent inquired with a worried tone.

Gwen relaxed her jaw, her expression softening as she looked towards him. He was worried for her, and she was touched by his concern.

"Honestly, I'm not sure," Gwen admitted, "I don't think he's set a trap or anything, but I do expect him to pull something. Most likely to force me to kill him."

Her gaze lingered on Vincent, and once their eyes met, he suddenly understood.

"I'm not going to stay behind," he told her firmly, "So, don't ask me to."

"...No," Gwen shook her head, "I wasn't going to do that. I mean, I want to, but...I'm not taking my eyes off of you, Vincent."

She was speaking directly from the heart. She didn't want to see him get hurt, and if the chance was there, she wanted him to be nearby so that she might be able to prevent it. At the very least, she would be there to destroy anyone who tried.

"O-Oh, uhm, well...good then," Vincent looked to be slightly surprised by that answer, a light blush entering his face as he sheepishly scratched his cheek.

The palace was close now. Gwen could see the main gates. The Royal Guard were stationed outside. They were stoic, wearing full plate armor with the symbol of the Empire upon their chest. A simple Blazing Sun. They saluted as she approached, though held their halberds across to block access.

"We greet the Second Imperial Princess, Glory be to the Sun," they greeted in unison, with one speaking up, "I apologize, but His Majesty, The Emperor, has requested that you, and only you, may enter the palace."

Gwen sighed, looking to Vincent, Cassandra, and Miranda. All of whom she had brought with her. They had been with her since the beginning, and they would be with her till the end. Her cool gaze passed over the guards, and in that moment, they hesitated ever so slightly.

Her hand flashed out, gathering within it a crimson blade made of her Sword Aura. She did not need to draw a blade to wield a weapon, for it was an extension of herself. In a few swift motions, their halberds fell to pieces, and the gate behind them crumbled with a resounding slam upon the ground.

"My friends go where they please," Gwen told them sharply, "Now, either step aside or we'll go through you."

"But...The Emperor, he..." they looked to each other nervously before the other just shrugged.

Understanding their position, they moved out of the way, and Gwen, along with Cassandra, Miranda, and of course, Vincent, rode through the gate towards the Palace. The road to the palace was a beautiful paved road that wound its way around and up towards a grand plaza. The plaza was flanked on either side by a well-kept, freshly cut lawn and was surrounded on all sides by high walls.

These walls held open walkways for people to look out into the courtyard, and for any defenders to easily aim down into it. There were immaculately trimmed bushes lining the wide road leading to the main door of the palace. Grand columns were placed between the bushes holding up archways that were of no real value, save aesthetics.

There was a stunning, clear pond in the center of the plaza filled with rocks of various shapes and sizes. Some stood out of the water, providing it a "natural" look. It babbled gently, fed water through fixtures underneath that helped to clear it out and keep it clean. Though some manual maintenance was still required.

The plaza before the palace was not empty, for it was filled with Royal Guards. As they rode up into the plaza, they were all lined up the road. It was like some procession. Each one saluted, however one stepped out from the rest.

"Forgive me, Your Highness," their voice, female in tone, came from within the helm they wore, "We have orders. If you arrived with others by your side...we are to preoccupy them. Please, go on ahea-"

Before she could finish speaking, the entire courtyard erupted into a blazing inferno. Gwen released the entirety of her aura, crushing stones and melting columns. Only those she allowed were kept safe from the effects. The Royal Guards, unable to withstand the pressure, fell to their knees.

"Y-Your Highness, please," the woman struggled to speak, "We're only...following orders."

"If you wish to lose your life, by all means," Gwen's words echoed throughout the plaza, "He's so keen to get me alone..."

Gwen could only think of one reason he would want that. Separate her from Vincent, and any other allies she may bring. He never liked being seen as vulnerable. He also probably hoped to use their lives as leverage.

Something along the lines of "Kill me, or they die" which...honestly, did he think that would work? After everything that Gwen has gone through, she wasn't about to let something like this stand in her way. Besides, everyone with her has grown incredibly since last they were here. Cassandra was Gwen's only rival, and Miranda...well, she wasn't at Vincent's level, but even he respects her magical abilities.

The Royal Guards and Imperial Knights were terrifyingly strong, but they were nothing in comparison. This was their final warning.

"Anyone else who stands in our way..." Gwen exuded danger, "I will kill them. Show me to where that bastard is."

Gwen allowed the woman to stand, only for her to suddenly lunge forward, drawing her blade.

"Forgive me, Your Highness, but I have my orders," the woman said, a solid blue aura coating her blade, "For The Empire!"

The woman did not lunge at Gwen, but at the nearest one to her...Vincent. Despite the theatrics, Gwen noticed something. There was no malicious intent in the attack. She knew that Vincent could handle the strike, but she had told him beforehand...only fight if absolutely necessary. Leave everything else to her, and so, he trusted her and Gwen did not disappoint.

There was a flash of crimson and a spray of blood. Gwen had not drawn her blade, yet the woman had been cut. Her legs had been taken out from under her, the tendons severed. Gwen was sure she was surprised, as when she fell, her helm tumbled from her head to reveal the bewildered expression of a tan face, blue eyes, and dark hair.

"Why...didn't you kill me?" she inquired, glaring up at her.

"Your loyalty is admirable," Gwen admitted, meeting her gaze unflinchingly, "However, foolish. I did not kill you because you did not come at him with the intent to kill. I won't be merciful a second time."

Leaving her there, Gwen urged her horse forward with Vincent, Cassandra, and Miranda following closely. They dismounted before the intricate, golden inlaid doors of the palace. Gwen held the pressure of her aura until they had all made it safely inside, and the doors closed behind them.

Once inside, Gwen took a deep breath and expanded her senses. There, almost immediately, she felt it. The intense pressure coming from further inside.

"He's waiting," Gwen told them, motioning for them to follow, "He's in the throne room."

-----

(Gwen's POV, Moments Later)

Gwen stood before another grand set of double doors, but this one was different from all the rest. Located at the end of a large marble corridor, it appeared nondescript save for the suits of armor which lined the way. They stood against the wall on either side. Eternal Watchers, some called them.

When Gwen was younger, they used to look so intimidating, but now...they were honestly an eyesore. She made a mental note that they have watched long enough. She'd retire them and replace them with something more pleasant. Between the suits of armor, hung from the ceiling, were tapestries upon which the symbol of the Empire was emblazoned.

That very same symbol was upon the set of double doors.

"The Throne Room," Gwen sighed, taking a deep breath to compose herself, "Oak once given to us by the Elves and inlaid with gold and silver. A gift from the Dwarves before we enslaved some of them to work our mines."

Gwen reminisced about the Empire's history and all those who they have screwed over. The Dwarves, Elves, and even their own people were not safe in the past couple of generations. The Dwarves forced to work in the Darkstone Mountains that the Empire had taken from the Aurelians. They used to have a great nation within the mountains just north of Aurelia, but they went underground many generations ago and its borders permanently closed.

Gwen hadn't thought of them in a long time. She would have her work cut out for her if she wanted to be allies once more, but for now, her attention was on the powerful presence she sensed beyond the door. Right now, she had to focus on the task at hand.

"Stay alert," Gwen told those with her.

They nodded, and placing her hands upon the doors, pushed them open. Stepping inside, they were met with an incredibly large room that went up at least thirty feet or so to vaulted ceilings which held a beautiful glass dome that allowed the sun to bear down upon the room. Tapestries, like those from the corridor outside, hung between grand pillars that lined the room as supports.

A great crimson carpet trimmed in gold led from the door, all the way to the other side of the room, whereupon steps began to ascend to a platform. There, upon the platform, was a large, beautiful throne made of gold. Its high arched back erupted into a depiction of a blazing sun, inlaid with rubies.

A man sat upon the throne, resplendent in golden armor and a crimson cape. By his side, propped against the throne, was a sword that bordered between being a longsword and a greatsword. Its hilt designed to look like the Sun, with the pommel inlaid with a sparkling ruby. Crimson and Gold, the colors of the Empire.

The man's face was stoic, watching them with cool, deep ruby eyes as they approached, his fiery red hair swept back. Before them, sitting upon their throne, was The Emperor.

"Defiant to the end," he said as they approached, his voice echoing, yet he did not yet, "I ask you to come alone, and of course...you bring them."

Though he said them, there was only one he meant. Vincent. His gaze turned to him as he spoke, filled with disdain, and also...resignation.

"Well, I'm rebelling, didn't you know?" Gwen scoffed, matching his cool gaze with one of her own.

"Yes, the little flame has grown into a raging inferno," the Emperor spoke as if full of pride, and yet...there was an emptiness to it, "Come to sweep away the fading sun and replace it with their own light. Are you even worthy?"

Gwen's eye twitched at such a question. He was trying to provoke her, but it was poorly done. His words had long since stopped affecting her. She was simply surprised he was still trying.

"A question you should have asked yourself," Gwen shot back with a shrug, "Perhaps we could have avoided all this."

"Perhaps," the Emperor responded, standing slowly from his throne, his hand grabbing the sword by his side, "We'll never know now. Prove me your worth."

"I've nothing to prove to you," Gwen told him calmly, "You were the one who had to prove yourself to me...and you've already failed."

Suddenly, the Throne Room was plunged into a sea of crimson as two powerful Auras clashed with each other. The Emperor's eyes glowed deeply with a powerful golden-red light. A trickle of blood escaped the corner of his mouth, but he ignored it. Despite the poison taking root in his body, The Emperor was still The Emperor.

"It's a bit of a shame..." Gwen thought to herself, "It feels almost cheap to fight him like this, but..."

Despite her worries, Gwen knew that he was no less powerful. The poison was just taking his life with every use of Aura. That was the mistake that the Noble Faction had made. The Emperor was saving their strength for this moment. One last final battle.

Gwen's eyes were aglow with an intense inner light, her hand hover over the blade at her side. She had not drawn it this entire time, and the reason was simply...her blade was only meant for him, and so, she slowly drew it from its sheath, and so too did The Emperor with his sword. The Emperor's blade was an intricately grafted marvel with golden filigree within its center.

"Enough of the theatrics," Gwen said as Vincent, Cassandra, and Miranda, all began to move off to one side of the room, "It's time to end this."

"I couldn't agree more," The Emperor flourished his blade, entering a starting stance.

Gwen did the same, the flat of her blade over one arm, point aimed towards The Emperor. The two of them compressed their Aura's, pulling it within themselves and encasing it around them like an extra set of armor. The Daunting Lion and the Majestic Phoenix.

At the same time, Shadows entered the room, attacking Vincent and the others. Gwen clicked her tongue as the first of their blade strikes landed against each other.

"I knew you would try something," Gwen condemned, "You've lost all honor."

"I knew you'd bring them," The Emperor replied, "If you wish to help them, you better-"

Gwen pushed against the heavy weight of his blade, knocking him back several steps. She looked upon him with pure contempt.

"It's kind of you to worry, but..." Gwen smirked, a devilish glint in her eye, "You underestimate them."

Sure enough, from the side, there was the sound of ice forming, and seven individuals cloaked in black, were frozen in place. They were still alive, simply restrained. Vincent's cool gaze turned back towards the fight, giving her a nod. Cassandra and Miranda flanked him, providing him support.

"We shall see," The Emperor replied, gritting their teeth and preparing for another attack.

-----

(Vincent POV)

He would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous. Knowing that the woman who had saved his life was putting hers at risk to give not only him, but the entire Empire a better life...it difficult to just sit back and do nothing. That's why he was grateful when the Shadows came to life, leaping from them like reapers, only to find an icy embrace awaiting them.

It could be said that his worry was a bit more than a simple concern for a friend. To see Gwen in peril, even as she danced so effortlessly with her blade against The Emperor, wrenched at his heart. He wanted to jump to her aid. Fight with her. Protect her.

It was a foolish notion, for even he could feel it. As strong as he was, she was stronger. The will that burned within her was enough to devour the very Sun. The power she held within herself, she was holding back. She was always holding back.

There was only ever one moment in time that she was free to be herself. To go all out, and as Vincent watched the fight between giants unravel, he saw that moment in his mind. She was a child again. They both were.

She danced amidst a field of flowers in the garden they played in as children. She laughed and smiled, pulling him with. They danced so carefree. She didn't have to hide herself or the beauty of her soul within. She didn't have to hold back.

Now, as she danced once more, crimson petals flashing with each clash of their blade with The Emperor's, he was reminded of that field. She danced once more, if only a bit more refined and deadly. He could see it. Deep within her heart.

The flame that glowed. Her soul. Caged and trapped. It beat heavily with a pulsating desperation. Vincent wished to reach out and break the bars which held her soul imprisoned.

To see her dance how she used to. Beautifully and without worry. Not that she wasn't already beautiful. Elegance, strength, beauty. She was an incredibly stunning existence. One that Vincent wished to see free of her own shackles. The shackles she didn't even see upon herself.

In his distraction, focused upon Gwen's fight with The Emperor, Vincent failed to sense the deception. As Gwen began to gain the upper hand, The Emperor performed a feint that undercut her guard. She was able to recover, if only barely, but that's when he saw it.

A Shadow within a Shadow. They had been hiding within the shade of one of the seven that Vincent had restrained. An eighth Shadow that he hadn't accounted for. That he hadn't notice.

He cursed himself for allowing such a simple thing to go unnoticed. He cursed his fate. The way he was distracted. Yet, cursing would get him nowhere. Gwen was still off-balance...and the Shadow was rushing straight for her.

Time slowed. Vincent's head turned in disbelief, eyes wide. The Shadow was quick. He felt mana surging within their body. They were strong.

"Are they faster than me?" Vincent barely had time for the thought, his mana reacting subconsciously. It danced to the tune of his most base desires. Protect Gwen. Without her, life had no meaning. His life held no meaning.

Gwen noticed the Shadow, her eyes flicking towards them, but she didn't have enough time to react. The Emperor smirked. He had this planned from the beginning. He had everyone believing that he wouldn't use a trap, but an ambush...well, there was one fatal flaw that everyone overlooked. Shadows.

They would give their lives for the one they served, but the one who would do anything to protect, save, and ensure the victory of the one they served...was a Mage-Guard. That Shadow, they were The Emperor's Mage-Guard, and a powerful one at that. Possibly even rivaling Vincent himself...if he hadn't gone through hell.

Vincent simply reacted. The mana that had built up within him upon reflex shrouded him in an icy, electric aura. Hunching down, the ground cracked beneath his feet before they propelled him forward. The Emperor was not the only one with a Mage-Guard. Miranda was too slow. Only Vincent could do it, and he would do so gladly time and time again, for Gwen was no mere woman. She was the person whom Vincent loved with his entire heart and soul.

The Shadow Mage-Guard's blade was mere inches from Gwen's neck, only...it found another. He didn't have time to use a barrier. He only had time to react...to attack. Vincent sacrificed defense for offence. It was how he was taught. His body could, and would, act as a shield.

The clap of thunder, followed by a spray of crimson. Everything happened in the blink of an eye. Time returned to normal. Vincent's head left his body, flying into the air. The pain was intense, but nothing he couldn't handle, though he felt weak...dizzy. With what consciousness he had left, his gaze turned towards the Shadow Mage-Guard below...now nothing but a smear of paste upon the marble floor. Only the upper-half of his torse and head remained.

In the split second that Vincent had to protect Gwen, the blade met Vincent's neck, and his hand touched their torso. Vincent put everything he had time gather into one attack. An icy eruption and frozen lightning. It tore the would-be assassin apart, but at a cost.

"My name...is Nathan Ironthorn, and you..." the man said with the last of his breath, "Are a worthy Mage-Guard..."

Their eyes faded, glossing over into lifelessness, and Vincent's consciousness began to fade, yet not before he felt his blood, still connected to the rest of him, congeal and begin to pull him back together. His mana acting as strings connecting his body to his head. It had taken everything in him to protect Gwen, but he had no regrets.

"VINCENT!" he had never heard Gwen's voice sound so...emotional.

There was a primal sound that came from within her, and before his consciousness finally faded as his head reattached to his body, he felt himself fall into her arms with a smile upon his face. His eyes drifted towards that flame inside of her...and it broke free.

-----

0