9. Return to Blumend III
46 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They continue their travels in the Underdark with the Warrior leading the way.

The past few days for Sofalia have been extremely hectic, as she fights all kinds of enemies that the Warrior throws at her. The journey in the Strait is especially exhausting. Most often, they have to stop so that they can accommodate their vampire companion.

At first, Sofalia feels disgusted by the dwarf, but she has to owe to her mistakes thus leaving her responsible for the vampire. Thankfully, the vampire's regenerative ability seems to suffice as she quickly recovers from her blood loss. 

The vampire, Minen, is a shy reclusive woman. Her fair white skin, brown hair, and emerald eyes are an object of beauty. Sofalia can only imagine how popular she must be back in her human days.

“I will be scouting ahead. There are no enemies in a mile’s radius, so you will be safe. Wait here for a while…” At the Warrior's instructions, Sofalia drops to the ground to take a breather.

When she cannot hear the Warrior’s footsteps anymore, she asks Minen about her well-being.

“How are you, Minen?”

“A-afraid…”

Sofalia frowns at the straightforward answer. Maybe it is only right for Minen to be afraid as Sofalia is a human. While the inhabitants of Underdark might be discriminatory to humans, the opposite is also true. For a has-been-human, the feeling should be more prominent for Minen.

“Hmmm… Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you…”

Minen shudders as she lowers the Basilisk Skin Leather Bag that is full of various monster parts and items. The bag is so huge that it seems comical.

“N-no, my lady… Y-you are kind… I am fortunate to serve someone as honorable as you… But…”

Her hesitation gets the best of her as in the end, Minen keeps her thoughts to her own.

However, Sofalia insists on what she thinks. “What is it? Tell me?”

Minen calmly takes long even breathes trying to calm her agitated blood. “I don’t know about Vampire Physiology in detail. But I am aware that the more delicious a creature's blood is, the stronger its sense of existence is… The creature with you is indescribable…”

A blush of excitement fills Minen’s cheeks recalling the taste of blood of that Existence. She cannot begin to imagine what kind of existence he is to possess such powerful blood. “Milady, is your master perhaps a Dragon?”

Sofalia doesn’t answer immediately, wary that the Warrior might be listening. She too is curious about the truth of his identity.

“He is not my master…” She belatedly adds to inform the vampire of their relationship. “He is simply my companion… Tell me more about what you have observed…”

Minen excitedly recounts her perspective. “The Underdark has two things to offer— Darkness and Numbers…”

Hearing the familiar words, Sofalia’s ears perk up in attention. “I know about the Darkness… What is this Numbers?”

“Milady, you cannot see it as you lack Night Vision, but every day… hordes of the undead swarm at us in a multitude of numbers that will make the human nations balk. Only those who share the mark of Undeath can safely traverse the Tunnels of Underdark, but that Existence you are with… He doesn’t need the mark of Undeath…”

Sofalia unconsciously shivers as she listens to Minen’s narration.

“I am no warrior, but I dare say I am an accomplished and learned magic caster. Despite that, I can say with confidence, that your companion is an Existence logic cannot contain. The natural Undeads of the Tunnel who don’t know fear for the first time express their shuddering reverence to Him out of dread and pure terror…”

The way Minen addresses ‘Him’ as if he is some sort of God is unnerving.

***

I return from my scouting. The map I received from Velvyn Inn is proving to be more convenient than I imagined, I return to where Sofalia is.

“Let’s go…” I tell them we can now proceed forward.

Our journey can only be this convenient because of the environment and the hidden effects of Darkbringer. This sword possesses symbolic meaning that whoever wields it has the right to rule over darkness.

While there are a few Undead who seem to not recognize my rule, I easily and quickly deal with them. In time, the Tunnels of Darkness seem to learn of my existence and are sending lesser monsters on my way until it finally decides to just not send any at me and my party.

The Tunnel of Darkness is conscious. It has a shard of the soul of the mother of all Drows, the most respectable name among the Dark Elves— the Drow Queen. That Drow Queen back in the world I know is about Level 99 like me, and is an Existence all of Underdark reveres like a God.

It seems ‘She’ decides to leave me on my own as our journey becomes smoother and smoother.

At first, it is kind of a bummer as I cannot increase my loot anymore, but I cannot be too greedy. The bag of loot that Minen carries is enough for our travel expenses.

Moreover, I believe Sofalia’s training is now complete.

Light scatters at the end of the tunnel as finally, we reach our end of the journey.

“Sofalia, what are you going to do with Minen? As you can see, she is now a vampire, and the sun will only make her life worse. Not to mention the discrimination that comes with her new life as a blood-kin.”

“I am thankful of your mercy, oh great Existence… But I only wish to now rest…” replies the vampire, without waiting for Sofalia's input.

I frown at Minen's way of addressing me finding it vaguely familiar but cannot recall in my data where I heard it, which is weird... I do not bat an eye at her as I simply continue to walk forward.

“Minen, you are free now… You can go on with your life…” Sofalia softly utters, trying to persuade the vampire to start anew. But Sofalia is not that naïve. Still, despite what she is saying as cruel, she believes that it will be better for Minen to continue living forward.

I have no opinions on the matter. I am only curious. What will Minen choose?

To my surprise, she only seems to continue addressing me. “Oh, Great Existence… Please grant me mercy! Only by being struck with your authority will I be set free…”

My mind spins on numerous texts of history and background stories. This world has Gods, and each of them has its own respective Sects, Organizations, and Beliefs that have pervaded the world since the recordings of the First Lore.

I glance at my sword. According to its flavor text, it is an Authority manifesting through the void of the heart.

Only the most emotionless Existence can bear wielding such a weapon. This Mythic-Grade Sword is something I have luckily won over the random Boss Raid Monster— Eyeless ‘Voidheart’ Derilven.

“I don’t want to end in the hands of the Mad God Porahas and his dominion of blood and hate… Please allow me in your paradise…” She begs me once more.

I look at her, crying tears of blood, a characteristic uncommon to vampires. This only happens when they are truly in great emotional pain.

Sofalia doesn’t understand any of this as she only watches us in silence.

“Then, I will set you free…” There is little light coming from the exit, and its rays come slithering to the Tunnels as if shining attention on the vampire's wishes.

I raise my Darkbringer high, earning Sofalia’s silent cry of regret. She knows that she cannot stop me. But I ask nonetheless. “Vampire Minen, I shall slay you with my sword, but I cannot promise that it will bring you to a better place… as the afterlife for me is a foreign concept."

“I accept,” She raises her hands in mad wait. “Thank you… for your understanding, oh Great Existence…”

I glance at Sofalia seeking her permission to off her slave. And I receive her nod of approval.

“Rest in peace…” So, I swing my sword down.

The moment I do, I sense the tugging force resisting my swing, a spontaneous barrier of overwhelming defense bars my sword's path purely coming from Minen's survival instinct, and then I realize… she is a [Tier 8] powerhouse… Such a waste, I think to myself. Still, I press harder.

My sword penetrates her barrier, and with one swift motion, I cut her head.

To possess such strength and be a slave to a measly dwarf. I find it ridiculous.

“Hmmm…” I ponder on the Black Rose, the crest on her gown, and I come to realize that she must be the last remaining member of the Necromancer Clan of Augsburg Nobility. “I applaud your bloodline, the last Black Rose. Know that in a few years, your household name shall return to this world at the Black Rose’s daughter’s resurrection. Rest well.”

I utter the line feeling it only right for the lingering ghost of Minen to hear a bright future of her clan.

The Blumend Quest is not the end. There are so many stories that this world has yet to offer, and for me to fulfill, but I don’t know exactly what to do with them

I glance at Sofalia who seems to be suffering from confusion as she stares at Minen’s ash.

My obligation with Sofalia is not done yet. “Let’s go. Carry the bag. Now that you have become stronger, we shall gather an army at your behest… The only way for your Kingdom to have Peace is for you to become Queen... Now you have acquired the necessary strength to achieve your goals, it is time we cover your bases.”

After that, I might bother Kruff for a long time on the meaning of my existence.

3