Postlude(Act 1)— Lonely Warrior
33 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I work hard and long to make sure Sofalia is ready to be Queen.

The power I wield is not simply of the Value of Existence, or in player terms— levels. My knowledge of the future, the various information in my head about the weapons and people, and the Legacy Pathways that I know are at the Queen’s disposal. However, that ends now.

In the past five years, I have taught her knowledge of a Player. Most often, she asks me about the Vanaheim’s Mirror that I speak of, which is more than welcome as it is a good topic in which I can educate her more about the lore of this world which I believe is enough to aid her ruling over Blumend.

There is nothing that can beat the accumulation of knowledge of a Player. And the walkthroughs I am predisposed to speak of how much knowledge I actually carry.

I continue to oversee the aftermath from behind the scenes, while the Queen’s Ten slowly but surely start to reveal themselves to the world. For them, their obligations to Sofalia are also about to end.

***

Sofalia enters the royal chambers where her father lies weakly. His gray hair has little streaks of dark blonde reminding her of Pyla. He is old and weak, far from his prime. The only thing that remains the same to him now is his emerald eyes whose brilliance seems to never fade away.

“Father,” She calls to him, her voice shaking in a mixture of doubt and certainty. “I have conquered our Kingdom back…” She softly tells him in doubt of her father’s view on this, yet certain that everything will change for the better from now on.

“You did well, daughter…” Her father compliments him with a smile. The illness is getting to him, a mysterious illness that no physician seems to be able to heal. Even her knowledgeable Advisor does not know what illness is this. “I am proud of you…”

Tears swell from the old King’s eyes. He is crying, yet his eyes remain bright.

Yet, there is a slight regret within these bright eyes. The King knows that he has to tell her daughter about this before his death as this is the least she deserves. “My daughter… No… Sofalia, I have to tell you something.”

At the change in her father’s tone, Sofalia realizes that there must be something wrong going on, proving these are the words that come next out of her father’s mouth.

***

The sky is bright with the rays of the sun streaking above us. I remain seated on the edge of the tower, seeing the Blumend Kingdom for all of its glory. I see the royal castle and its stylish architecture. I also see various buildings under reconstruction due to the battle of the Queen’s Ten, excluding Tilen whose fight should be outside the capital.

“It is almost time for me to go…” I cannot help but utter these words, feeling the need to reaffirm this fact. The Five Years has been long. Weirdly enough, when I am but an AI, I cannot even feel the flow of time.

Now… I am feeling something close to nostalgia and melancholy.

The Queen’s Ten disbands at the fulfillment of the contract, and the new state of Blumend ought to make its mark on the history of the world as the first Constitutional Monarchy.

It is the government that STRF is able to design at my request, according to my few inputs. Blumend should not be the first Constitutional Monarchy in this world, but a different Kingdom from the future. The ripples I am causing by helping Sofalia will be big, but I don’t really care.

I am more concerned about myself. After I return to White Peaks, I wonder whether Kruff and Pyla will be amenable to relocating here in Blumend. That will be nice.

***

Neo Parliament

Sofalia gives permission for this new constitution’s making with the former Queen’s Ten as the immediate members of the parliament.

The House of Lords inducts the ministers of every department, aristocrats above viscount, and peasants at high positions in the Neo Parliament, thus creating a new dynamic of checks and balances. After that, the House of Lords is remade as another part of the Neo Parliament.

It is fortunate that none of the former Queen’s Ten chooses to leave Blumend. All ten of them admit to a new contract for a more stable and permanent job. Sofalia one by one gives stamps on various papers to put the Queen’s Ten on the now several vacant positions.

As Van will be leaving, she admits Tinel as his replacement advisor. Marcus will be the new Defence Minister, Liza will fill up the long-empty position of Royal Magic Scholar, and Masked will lead a new organization expertly dealing with information. Sofalia also makes sure to transform STRF into a more recognizable institution. There are many things for her to do.

She silently does her work in her office with unbridled focus, distracting her from the troubling revelation that she learns from her father. “Sigh… If only it is that easy…” She still cannot believe the King is keeping such a fearsome secret from her.

Gazing out the window, she sees Van letting himself in.

“I will be going now,” He softly says to her.

Sofalia stamps the papers about the plans for the King’s funeral, and then her eyes land on the papers about the plan for her coronation. Van is about to leave, and among the two either her coronation or her father's funeral, she wanders which she should prioritize. In the end, her feelings for her father win over wanting Van to see her coronation.

Thus. For now, she decides to postpone her coronation.

She gazes at Van for a moment and decides to convince him to stay longer. “Attend my father’s funeral… I will... want you there.” If only a hasty coronation is allowed, or if only funerals are harder to prepare than a coronation.

Childish thoughts run amok in Sofalia's head.

To her request, he nods. Sofalia sighed in relief, a little bit happy that her former Advisor is at least not ignoring her. Their acquaintanceship is not really the best of terms, but Sofalia learns to like being around him.

At the approaching time of his departure, she cannot help but feel sad.

***

The funeral commences as it is planned. There are many people who attend the event. All of the aristocracy, the other ministers, scholars, historians, and even a few peasants who have a connection with the King are able to attend the funeral. This is the first time I am showing my face to the public.

While working behind the scenes, I am very careful not to reveal my face.

Even after the aftermath, I prefer to remain in the shadows. I find comfort in being hidden. I guess the more I learn about being human, the more conscious I become about them.

Sofalia calls to the crowd with a solemn cry. “The Kingdom has been liberated from the shadowy hands of the invaders. Their schemes to corrupt us from within have been thwarted but many sacrifices have been incurred. It is a sensitive time for all of us, and now we grieve the death of my father.”

I don’t know funerals in general. There are very few quests back in Vanaheim’s Mirror about them. Moreover, players don’t really know death. Well, I am able to experience it once, and I can tell— it is a very hateful experience. I am confident to say that I don’t want a second death.

I wonder, perhaps, if I die in this world, will I respawn? What am I thinking? Of course, I will die. I already know that, but in the back of my mind, I want to deny it. My first true death is so much of a terrible memory for me that I sometimes become paranoid just at the thought of it.

After Sofalia’s eulogy, she approaches me and grabs me by my wrist. “Let’s go,” She tells me, so I follow.

Deeper inside the royal garden of labyrinthian shrubbery, Sofalia takes me to a patio below the shades of a curious majestic tree.

Under the eaves of green, we sit on our glass chair with a small porcelain table separating the two of us. She seems prepared as she brews tea for the two of us. I am not ignorant enough to think that this action is not ingratiating. She is now Queen and possesses great status, yet she defers herself to me.

“Will you stay?” She asks me.

Hmmm… I can. But do I want to? I don’t know. I guess, I become used to teaching her, being with her, and doing stuff with-and-for her. “I will think about it,” I tell her cryptically. For now, I will return to White Peaks to tell Kruff that Blumend is safe.

From there, I don’t know what to do.

“I want to tell you something,” She announces. She sips on her tea, trying to calm herself. “I… I…”

“What is it?” I similarly drink my share of tea while I wait for her.

“Never mind…” She turns her face away, and for some reason, there is hesitation in the way she acts.

I am curious, but I feel like not asking because of my whimsical expectation that she might ask me something I cannot give her. Perhaps, my continued services? Or my Darkbringer?

Sofalia sips her tea until it is empty, and then she directs at me her eyes as blue as the sky, except for the tinge of emerald that dances from deep within. I read once from a book that the eyes are a person’s gateway to the soul.

I lean forward, curious to see if I can see her soul. I don’t know what even a soul looks like, but maybe I will find something. Before I knew it, I was already too close to her to the point that I could feel her breathe.

And then.

Sofalia suddenly pecks me on my lips. It is a kiss. The taste of mulberry’s mild sweetness presses on my lips. And then there is the strong taste of honey and milk. I imagine her breakfast on my tongue. I think to myself. Why? My gaze remains on her. I see her closed eyes, her fair skin, and her azure hair ticklishly touching my cheeks. She is one to rarely comb, but that doesn’t depreciate her beauty.

When she removes her lips from mine, I realize that I also have developed an understanding of aesthetics.

“Why?” I ask her.

To this, she tilts her head in confusion. I understand that kissing is a form of expression of love to someone. But why did she kiss me?

“I… don’t understand…” I tell her my honest feelings, expecting an explanation from her.

But she just cryptically answers back. “Me either…”

Short silence ensues between us until the peace is broken by an intruder. Tinel comes hollering. “Your majesty! Advisor!” She calls to us. “Am I interrupting something?”

I realize too late that I am too close to Sofalia. This is an invasion of space and will make people uncomfortable. This is my fault. My curiosity has caused me my blunder. “Ah~ I am sorry. It is my fault.”

After I say that, more of the former Queen’s Ten arrives. I return to my seat, while everyone goes into a clamor. Sofalia similarly joins the quips. Yes, she is Queen, but the Queen’s Ten for her is more than that. They are her comrades.

I stand up from my seat and go on my way. When I look back, I see them going on with their ruckus.

This feels familiar. Isn’t this like that dream I have before Kruff finds me sleeping in the snow?

I remember. "So, it is a precognitive dream." Only now that I realize the meaning of that dream as my eyes stay on them. The Queen's Tend and the Quebb herself... So this is what that dream means.

Ultimate Skill— Treasure of the Heart

It is an ultimate skill I am able to learn after slaying the Dream God with a random party at that time. It is an incredible feat, which is announced in all of Vanaheim. The reward of that raid is an ultimate skill that will let its wielder dream of a treasure. I rarely sleep, in fact, the only time I remember sleeping is that time before Kruff finds me in the snow. So it is understandable I forget this particular skill.

In my defense, it is quite a forgettable and misleading skill, and its effects revolve around dreaming about items as treasures specifically, and not people.

“Hah~!” I snicker, and from there, I begin to boisterously laugh. “Ha ha ha!” I laugh, tears of joy escaping from my eyes. I place my palm over my forehead. Truly funny. I almost forgot that I have that skill.

“Advisor, you are returning, right?” Tinel calls to me.

“Exalted One! Safe travels!” Marcus reverently calls me, while manly tapping his chest.

“Please, be well…” Liza Ounder Paraz gives me a mage’s bow.

“…Thank you.” Masked removes his mask as he shows me respect and gratitude. The others silently express their shock at how androgynous he actually looks underneath.

Gilmore the Grassmace, Elena the Potioneer, Morpheus the Dreamcaster, Prance the Swordsman, Thema the Bard, and Orun the Gunner. All of the Queen’s Ten give me their salutes. I am proud of them.

Sofalia wordlessly smiles.

We say our goodbyes in the royal garden, and I am almost ready to return to White Peaks. I cannot wait to tease Kruff and Pyla, two of my favorite people in the world.

Every one of them— Kruff, Pyla, Sofalia, and the Queen’s Ten has become my favorite people. “My comrades, you all did well.” I compliment them all. “I will be leaving you all for your merriment.” This time, I turned my back to them completely.

Skill— Aura Step

“See you again.” I silently bid them my farewell as I leap off to the sky.

***

“I am not your biological father…”

This is her father’s last words to her. Sofalia’s mind keeps on coming back to her father’s story-telling of how she arrived in this world through Immaculate Conception that one day, her mother suddenly becomes pregnant out of the blue without a touch of any man. It is a disturbing story, and maybe even hurtful to the King.

Despite that, in her heart, Sofalia’s real father is Admaren Din Blumend, the late Blumend King. There is no way her perception of her real father will change because of this.

Burying the useless thought in the recesses of her mind, she focuses on what is in front of her.

Van the Third, the Warrior, and the Advisor. The very man who declares so arrogantly that he shall make her Queen. Sofalia is not really sure of what to think of him.

She sees him off with a wordless smile. He then leaps to the sky, with a single bound. She so much wants to consult him about her shocking origins, but in the end, decides against it as he is no longer her advisor.

Sofalia touches her lips, reminiscing about that kiss. She doesn’t know what took over her. “What if he is my father?” It is an awkward thought. She berates herself for what she just did. “No, that is impossible…” She convinces herself of her assumptions.

If he really is her father, then why do they look so far apart? They don’t share any physical characteristics at all. Moreover, he is Demi-God according to Fenrir, and not a God.

“I need to visit Fenrir…” She thinks to herself. She needs to clear her mind and abandon any thoughts that might cause any misunderstanding.

But before that, she had more urgent responsibilities as the new Queen of Blumend.

***

The journey back to White Peaks is filled with memories and nostalgia. The Underdark, the Umchaka forest, and even the familiar monsters barring my way cause me to reminisce.

I think of all the times I spent with Kruff and Pyla. It is a damningly short month, yet my attachments to them remain true. Again, I recall a particular knowledge from the books I read which I find fascinating. Perhaps, my attachment to Kruff and Pyla is due to imprinting.

Imprinting is a form of learning in which an animal gains its sense of species identification. Birds do not automatically know what they are when they hatch— they visually imprint on their parents during a critical period of development. After imprinting, they will identify with that species for life.

It is intriguing. My sense of life is skewed in a sense after all.

I remember the stories I hear from Kruff and Pyla's sweet laughter as we make fun of him. I run uphill through the treacherous mountains of White Peak, and none of the obstacles prove of any challenge against me.

When I arrive at the familiar cabin, I am welcomed with open arms. Kruff and Pyla are happy to see me. The old hunter, Kruff, has become so much older as the streaks of gray in his hair have become whiter. Meanwhile, Pyla has grown taller. The little girl is now barely a teenager.

With quick steps, she rushes at me with a hug. “Brother!” She cries.

“That took you long,” Kruff offhandedly comments with a smile while he drags a carcass of a deer inside his cabin. “It’s good you are back. Will you please kindly send it inside?”

“Don’t you need to butcher it?” I curiously glance at him, while I rub Pyla’s head whose hair has grown longer.

Kruff scoffs at my words. “I… I… forgot…”

Clearly, what comes with old age is failing memory. I help him butcher the deer, so that we may go and rest inside. We share stories and drinks and enjoy each other's company. I give Pyla a mug of my booze, and Kruff heavily reprimands me for doing so.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I am home. I finally felt like I belonged. I serve my duty to Sofalia, and now I can settle into a comfortable life with Kruff and Pyla.

It feels good to have a place I can call home.

But… Is this really home?

I ponder that thought.

Fin.

The Warrior will return!

Author's note. The dream sequence happened in Chapter 2. He dreamt of this farewell about this exact moment in this chapter, but instead of being on the patio, he was on the porch in the dream.

3