Chapter 11: Lu Xinyi
6.4k 21 334
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, I've decided to try out posting a 1.5K-ish word chapter more often instead of a longer 3K-word chapter for a bit. Do you guys prefer this or the previous pace? A few chapters later, I'll throw up a poll.

Perched majestically atop a rugged mountain peak, was a massive edifice that dominated the landscape. The structure possessed an undeniable grandeur that immediately caught the eye of anyone who cast their gaze upon it. Yet, despite its grandeur, it exuded a sense of enigma.

A small number of disciples could be seen going in and out of the building. Each disciple came here with utmost reverence and anticipation in their hearts; for this was the Scripture Library where they would learn their Techniques to achieve the Dao.

Xiao Hong also held anticipation in her heart - because, now, she was a rich little lady, with more than ten thousand contribution points to her name! 

Even if she was technically in debt, it didn’t change the fact she was rich!

Important things need to be repeated thrice: She was fucking rich!!

So, Xiao Hong swaggered over to the Gates of the Scripture Library, giving off the aura of a Nouveau Riche.

There, like in a typical Xiania setting, was an Elder with his eyes closed in meditation pondering Heavenly Secrets or perhaps Victoria’s Secrets - Xiao Hong didn’t care. She walked over, showed her token to the Guards and casually stepped inside. Of course she didn’t have to wake up the Elder! If an esteemed Elder had to greet every brat that came with hopes to learn Peerless Techniques, he wouldn’t be so esteemed anymore, would he?

Upon entering the Scripture Library, she found herself in a vast hall as spacious as a city block. Rows upon rows of towering shelves loomed over her like ancient sentinels. They were tall enough that a person on the third floor of a building would be able to casually reach out and grab a jade slip.

There were probably hundreds of such shelves that were lined up much like the public libraries back on Earth. Each shelf was incredibly tall, towering over her with its height.

Each of these shelves had hundreds of jade slips and in front of them were information boards, much like the educational placards found in the museums of Earth. 

These information boards offered a comprehensive description of the technique. It had everything that a prospective cultivator would want to know about the Technique they want to practise: from its Zhenqi consumption to Affinity details, from Qi Characteristic requirements to attack/defence/support capabilities and so on.

She marvelled at the sight for a few moments. Xiao Hong felt a sense of age from the sight. This was the uncountable years of accumulation the Purple Spirit Sect had gone through. It was only through this incredibly long history that it was able to collect and summarise the details of so many Techniques.

Xiao Hong, who was dazed by the sight, was startled out of her reverie by a cute and meek voice, “B-Big Sister Hong?”

Xiao Hong snapped towards the voice and was instantly surprised. What greeted her was a cute little thing, with scruffy shoulder-length hair framing a round face, and eyes as blue as a clear summer sky. Beneath them was a cute nose that made one unable to hold back the desire to pinch it. The little thing that barely reached her chest was staring up at her with eyes as wide as flying saucers.

“Lu Xinyi?”

Lu Xinyi’s slightly round face blushed furiously under Xiao Hong's gaze, fingers pressed together, big eyes looking away with a cute expression and stuttering in a mosquito-like voice, “I-I-I f-found you, Big Sister!”

This Lu Xinyi was surprisingly a person from the old Xiao Hong’s hometown! This adorable little bugger used to stick to Xiao Hong like a particularly stubborn sticky plaster at the orphanage.

She remembered when this cute animal had chased after her, shouting something about going to the Purple Spirit Sect when it was time.

It was just that the old Xiao Hong didn’t really care for Lu Xinyi. Little Xiao Hong found the sticky plaster-like behaviour particularly annoying and tried her best to avoid this fellow. But unfortunately for her, Lu Xinyi came pre-installed with a ‘Xiao Hong detector’. It was truly absurd, even now to the new Xiao Hong, how easily the 8-year-old Xiao Hong was found by a child 2 years younger!

Even after Xiao Hong had managed to get lost in a forest, she was still found!

‘Xiao Hong, ah, Xiao Hong, how could you neglect such a cute, shy, little sister?!’ The new Xiao Hong wanted to give the old Xiao Hong a piece of her mind.

“It’s been a while, Little Sister Lu!” Xiao Hong gave Lu Xinyi, a wide smile, causing a blush so deep, that even her ears turned red!

“B-B-Big S-Sister, actually, I-” Lu Xinyi was about to say something when a voice interrupted.

“Junior Brother Lu,” a girl with blazing red hair looked at Xiao Hong with a barely concealed look of jealousy. Her sculpted lips curled in displeasure as she continued, “Why don’t you introduce me to your Senior Sister?”

“Ah, Guo Lanying,” ‘HE’ blinked in surprise as if seeing her for the first time, causing Guo Lanying to narrow her red eyes, her jealousy growing stronger. “This is Big Sister Xiao Hong! She used to take care of me when I was little. The big sister that used to protect me from the bullies at the orphanage, the one that I told you about!” It was obvious from his tone how much he admired Xiao Hong.

He turned to Xiao Hong, “B-big Sister Hong, this is Guo Lanying. A Senior Sister who is in the same cohort as me.”

The relatively casual introduction fuelled Guo Lanying’s jealousy even further. 

“Greetings, Senior Sister Xiao,” Guo Lanying said, her tone polite and seemingly grateful, “Thank you for protecting Brother Lu back then.”

Xiao Hong couldn't care less about the way Guo Lanying had put herself in a closer position with her words - she was too busy picking up the pieces of a beautiful dream, now broken.

“Huh, ah, yeah. Nice to meet you too.” She casually waved at Guo Lanying and then looked at Lu Xinyi, “You’re really a boy?” It was a naive hope, but, maybe, maybe, maybe…?

Lu Xinyi pouted. “I’ve always been a guy, big sister!” His bottom lip trembled lightly as he looked down. He whispered, “Even if, even if, I look so girlish…”

He looked so pitiful, Xiao Hong almost wanted to hug him, but she caught herself, ‘No, no, no Xiao Hong, it’s a trap! It’s a trap!’

“Junior Brother, don’t worry you’re actually very manly!” Guo Lanying exclaimed. It was the perfect chance to better her image in Lu Xinyi’s heart! “Besides, you’re still growing! I am sure you will look super handsome when you grow up!”

Xiao Hong also realised she was a bit rude and also consoled him, “Junior Sister is right! Besides, even if you’re effeminate, it doesn’t matter! Some people might even like that, you know?” She winked. 

“R-really, Big Sister?” His face brightened up and he looked at Xiao Hong with his sky-blue orbs that seemed to glow with anticipation and hope.

Xiao Hong nodded. “Mh-hm.”

“Thank you, big sis!” He threw his arms around Xiao Hong startling her. Before Xiao Hong even said anything, he had already pulled away. He embarrassedly said, “S-s-sorry, I-I couldn’t control myself. It seems even after so long, I still have this habit…”

‘So you acknowledge your sticky plaster-like behaviour?’ Xiao Hong lampooned inwardly. 

Outwardly, she just shook her head. “It’s alright, I don’t mind.”

On the other hand, Guo Lanying who was completely forgotten seethed in anger, her oval face warping, ‘This hussy! How dare she touch my - Guo Lanying’s - man?!’ Her nails dug into her palm, deep enough to leave marks.

She controlled her emotions and cleared her throat, “Ahem! Let’s go Junior Brother! We have to choose our Techniques!”

“But I just met Big Sis after so long…” Lu Xinyi was reluctant. Then his eyes lit up, “Can’t we go with Bis Sis?”

“Sorry, Junior Brother, the Merit Token is only for the most talented people. Father will punish me if he hears that I brought anyone else! I had to pay a great price to get this token for you.” Guo Lanying shook her head, seemingly helpless.

“But-” Lu Xinyi began.

“It’s okay Junior Brother.” Xiao Hong reassured him. “Besides,” she pointed to the Grade 2 Alchemist Badge at her waist. “I don’t really need it.”

Guo Lanying’s initially disdainful eyes nearly popped out of her sockets. “G-grade 2 Alchemist?!” While Grade 2 Alchemists weren’t really all that much in the grand scheme of things, it still meant a lot to someone like Guo Lanying!

“Big Sis, you’re an Alchemist?!” Lu Xinyi almost jumped in excitement! 

“Mh-hm. You can come to me if you want pills, and I’ll give you a discount. You too, Junior Sister Guo.” She extended to her the same courtesy. ‘Since Lu Xinyi was a bust, let’s try this Junior Sister!’ - was Xiao Hong’s current mentality. Lu Xinyi's introduction had suddenly awakened a need for a little sister in her life!

“Well, you guys have fun, I need to go get me some Cultivation Techniques. Don’t wait for me!” Xiao Hong bid the two of them farewell and headed to the third floor which was the highest floor she could access. 

“See you later, Big Sis!”

On the way up, she suddenly paused, ‘Huh, did I accidentally face-slap Guo Lanying?!”

The situation was too familiar!

‘Dammit! Again! I was pulled into a face-slapping situation again! This time as a Main Character!

‘Now that I’ve ‘offended’ her, how am I supposed to make her a little sister?’

Upon reaching the third floor, ‘Bah! I’ll think about it later! Let’s select some techniques first.’

 

334