Chapter 12: Choosing Techniques
6.4k 19 332
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As a Grade 2 Alchemist, Xiao Hong’s status could be considered to be quite high and equivalent to some less important Outer Sect Deacons. This meant she could freely browse the First Three Floors! For the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Floors, she needed to become a Grade 4 Alchemist or an Inner Disciple. The Seventh to Ninth Floor was exclusively for the Core Disciples and Elders.

The last one was exclusively for the mythical Essence Soul Mighty Figures of the Sect. 

Xiao Hong looked around for nearly half a day before finding some worthwhile Techniques and Spell Arts. 

Adhering to the principles of Qi Characteristics, Xiao Hong had filtered out a few Spell Arts and Techniques: [Dark Serpent Flame ], [Earth Shell], [Earth Burrow], [Star Shifting Steps] and finally the [Spirit Transformation Art]

The [Dark Serpent Flame ] was a high Profound-Rank Spell that was derived from the Earth-Rank Spell [Black Dragon Divine Flame]. It created a Serpent made of Black Flames that could be controlled to both attack and defend against one or multiple enemies. It was one of the best Spells of the Rank that was available in the Profound Rank thanks to its versatility. The best part was that one would have an easier time learning the [Black Dragon Divine Flame] when they had outgrown the [Dark Serpent Flame ] spell.

[Earth Shell] (high Profound-Rank) was obvious from its name - it formed a spherical Shell that completely protected the user from all directions. Its defensive powers were among the best in the Profound Rank. It was also one the easiest to learn - making it a really popular Defensive Art. At least among those who could actually afford the whopping 1,000 contribution points.

[Earth Burrow] (high Profound-Rank) was a special Technique that was derived from the Heaven Rank Divine Ability: [Earth Escape]. This was the Escape Technique she had chosen to cultivate. While it put an immense drain on one’s Zhenqi, its escape speed and anti-tracking capability were truly peerless! It was just very difficult to cultivate. It was the most difficult Profound-Rank Technique!

[Star Shifting Steps] was a high Profound-Rank Movement Technique that allowed her to move anywhere within the specific areas almost instantaneously. This Movement Technique defines a ‘constellation’ with the user as a centre and allows you to ‘shift’ between the position of the ‘stars’ almost instantaneously. The greater one’s accomplishment in the Technique, the more complicated their ‘constellation’ was and the faster they could ‘shift’.

Finally, the [Spirit Transformation Art] (Earth-Rank) was the most powerful Technique she could get her hands on. It was the watered-down version of the [Purple Spirit Transformation] Art - which was the True Inheritance of the Purple Spirit Sect. 

[Purple Spirit Transformation] Art allowed the cultivator to multiply his base power, depending on the level he cultivated it to. The [Purple Spirit Transformation Art] had theoretically infinite levels. It was the greatest reason why the Purple Spirit Sect could stand as a giant among Sects - a Super Sect.

The [Spirit Transformation Art] was not nearly as powerful, but it still allowed for one to achieve up to eight times their base power!

So, what was such a powerful art doing, sitting in the area for Outer Disciples?

The only reason she could get her hands on an Earth-Rank Technique was that the Purple Spirit Transformation Art and the lesser Spirit Transformation Art were the signature Art of the Sect. The Sect wanted the Disciples to be able to use the Art. The Sect’s ideology was to let as many disciples learn it as possible. 

It was like a sort of brand logo:

‘Oh looky there! That feller is using the Spirit Transformation Art! He must be from the Purple Spirit Sect!’

‘Wow! So powerful, the Purple Spirit Sect must be very awesome! I wish I could join!’

Xiao Hong had realised by now that the Sect put in a lot of work to maintain its popularity. She did not know why, but it was not difficult to speculate.

What did cultivators love the most? Resources! But why? Because Cultivation! So it definitely had something to do with cultivation!

***

“These are the ones.” Xiao Hong nodded and went to get them registered and was instantly set back by 6000 Points. 

Xiao Hong decisively exchanged 1250 Contribution Points for Spirit Stones, leaving her with a little less than a thousand. Now, her net worth was a whopping 50,000 Spirit Stones!

She happily made her way back to her courtyard.

Back at her home, Xiao Hong brought out the jade slips and sent her Divine Sense into them one by one. After she had finished browsing through it, the jade slip disintegrated into dust and fell through her fingers. This was one of the protection methods used by the Purple Spirit Sect. The contents of the jade slip could only be browsed once. After which, she would have to go to the Scripture Library and spend more contribution points if she wanted to view it again.

Ding! Discovered Spell Art: Dark Serpent Flame  (Profound Rank), use a slot for cultivation?

“Yes.”

Ding! Discovered Spell Art: Earth Shell (Profound Rank), use a slot for cultivation?

“Yes.” She took out another jade slip.

Ding! Discovered Escape Technique: Earth Burrow (Profound Rank), use a slot for cultivation?

“Yep!”

Ding! Discovered Movement Technique: Star Shifting Steps (Profound Rank), use a slot for cultivation?

“No, store for now.” She was still waiting for the Heaven-Swallowing Roc Breathing Method to be completely cultivated.

Ding! Discovered Secret Technique: Spirit Transformation Art (Earth Rank), use a slot for cultivation?

“Obviously!”

“Status!”

Name:

Xiao Hong

Age: 

16

Lifespan: 

750 years

Primary profession: 

Cultivator

Secondary Profession(s)

Alchemist (Grade 2)

Inventory (27m3)

50,000 Spirit Stones

Cultivation Base:

  • Essence: Initial Divine Sea
  • Physique: 4-star Ancient Godling (3rd Disaster Equivalent)
  • Soul: 3rd stage Red Soul (1st Disaster Equivalent)

Skills:

  • Soaring Crane Sword (Normal) - Small Accomplishment
  • Flash Step (Normal) - Small Accomplishment
  • Heaven Swallowing Roc Breathing Method (Heaven) - Uncultivated
  • Dark Serpent Flame  (Profound) - Uncultivated
  • Earth Shell (Profound) - Uncultivated
  • Earth Burrow (Profound) - Uncultivated
  • Star Shifting Steps (Profound) - Uncultivated
  • Spirit Transformation Art (Earth) - Uncultivated

Cultivation Method: 

  • Celestial God Essence Cultivation Method
  • Ancient God’s Physique Scripture
  • Spirit God’s Soul Cultivation Method

Battle Prowess: 

High (3rd Disaster Equivalent)

Automatic Cultivation Slots: 5

Details: 212.5x of Normal Speed

  • Slot 1: Dark Serpent Flame  (3 Days to Beginner)
  • Slot 2: Earth Burrow (3 Days to Beginner)
  • Slot 3:Earth Shell (3 Days to Beginner)
  • Slot 4: Heaven Swallowing Roc Breathing Method (1174 Days to Beginner)
  • Slot 5: Spirit Transformation Art (10 Days  to Beginner)

Xiao Hong had removed her Cultivation Methods because she would not really gain a greater Battle Power by strengthening her cultivation. Plus, even with her current rate of absorption, she would take almost a year to reach mid-stage Divine Sea. The trial would begin in a little more than three months.

So, there was no point in continuing to cultivate them. At least until the Heaven-Swallowing Roc Breathing Method reached the Beginner level. 

Speaking of which, Xiao Hong nearly vomited blood when she saw the time required to reach the beginner level for it. That was more than 3 years!!

‘Are all Heaven-Rank Methods so perverted?!’ Xiao Hong felt a headache coming on. Despite Gu Ran calling it an Earth-Rank technique, the system recognised it as a Heaven-Rank Technique. She speculated Gu Ran had lowered its evaluation because of the difficulty in cultivating it.

‘Let’s hope those Beast Crystal Cores are useful.’ Otherwise, she’d have to wait until after the Trial to cultivate this. As for cultivating on her own? Pfft~! Like that’s gonna happen! She would not reach the Beginner Level in her lifetime!

Even without the Heaven-Swallowing Roc Breathing Method, Xiao Hong really required those Beast Crystal Cores. Even with the System’s 100x enhancement, it would take her nearly a decade to reach peak Divine Sea Realm. Which was honestly miraculous considering Xiao Hong’s trash-grade talent. Without the System, Xiao Hong speculated that she would never have reached the Divine Sea Realm in the first place.

Another thing she’d discovered when her storage bag was full, was that if she stored Spirit Stones in the System Storage, it would automatically absorb the Energy from there. Due to the nature of the system, it completely isolated energy leakage.

Meaning, that she could cultivate anything other than her Cultivation Methods outside and no one would notice! Before, the system would absorb the Spiritual Energy from the environment even if she held the spirit stones in her hands, but upon placing it in the Storage, it directly drew energy from there and ignored the Environmental Spiritual Energy of Heaven and Earth.

Unfortunately, for Cultivation Methods she still had to do it at home. The Circulation of Cultivation Methods caused large fluctuations in the respective attributes they cultivated. The Celestial God Essence Cultivation Method would cause her Qi to surge and sink in specific rhythms which would in turn cause fluctuation in the Spiritual Energy of Heaven and Earth. Similarly, the Spirit God’s Soul Cultivation Method would cause fluctuations in her Divine Sense.

The Ancient God’s Physique Scripture was quite discreet, but Xiao Hong did not dare to take a chance - what if there was indeed something that she didn’t know about? If someone realised she could auto-cultivate, and wasn’t a benevolent entity, she would be done for! She was still a puny Divine Sea cultivator who could be casually pinched to death.

So, Xiao Hong decided to be steady. It wasn’t like she spent a lot of time outside anyway.

Xiao Hong picked up her Communication Jade. 

“Sister Ying?”

Instantly, she got a reply, “{Yes, Sister Hong?}”

Smiling at the uber-quick reply, she explained the situation with the Secret Realm Trial and then told her that she would go into closed-door cultivation. 

Qiao Guiying somewhat weakly asked, “{Do you have to go, Junior Sister? It’s too dangerous! Almost 30% of the disciples die during the Trial!}”

“Almost 30%?” Xiao Hong asked playfully, her mouth twisting into a smirk.

“{A-Ah! Maybe it was 3%? I don’t remember…}” She said guiltily.

“Mh-hm” Xiao Hong’s smirk widened.

Qiao Guiying knew that she had no chance so she changed tactics, “{The Secret Realm is so boring, always fighting and killing. A noble Alchemist shouldn’t bother herself with this!}”

“But I’m going there as an Alchemist, Senior Sister. Besides, I need resources for cultivation.”

“{Nuuh…}” Since Xiao Hong had thrown out the reason of Cultivation, Qiao Guiying could not say anything else. In the world of Cultivation, restricting one’s cultivation path is worse than killing their parents!

“{I’ll evaluate you before you go for the Secret Realm Trial. If your battle power isn’t up to my standards, I won’t let you go!}”

“Yes, Senior Sister~, I’ll listen to you.” Both of them knew that Xiao Hong couldn’t not go. It was just for Qiao Guiying’s peace of mind that Xiao Hong agreed.

After a bit more casual talk, “{Alright, Junior Sister, cultivate hard! You mustn’t disappoint me!}

“Yes, yes, alright.” Xiao Hong rolled her eyes. This Senior Sister was such a worrywart! 

“See you in three months!”

“{See you!}”

Xiao Hong cut off the Qi supply.

She took a deep breath before releasing it, “Alright, let’s do this!” She clapped her cheeks to encourage herself.

She wanted to try and see if she could cultivate the Ancient God’s Physique Scripture on her own. She was the most talented in body refining after all!

***

Incidentally 1147/365 is very close to pi! What a strange coincidence.

332