Chapter 19: Bai Hao
6k 39 294
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Recap:

‘What the heck? Grand Spirit Cycle-type engine? Dragon Power?’ Her lips twitched. ‘This… feels so damned familiar!’

It was only after a short while that she came to the conclusion, ‘Boys will be boys, no matter the Universe!’ 

Then she continued paying attention to them.

But it was only a short moment later that she noticed Gu Ran and also Qiao Xuan. Her lips twitched even more violently!

‘... Fuck. This Secret Realm is done for.’

***

Just as Xiao Hong was contemplating whether to just scream “Abandon Ship!” and high-tail it out of there, she noticed Gu Ran and Qiao Xuan coming her way - obviously, her ‘Approach-me-not’ Aura was as effective as tissue paper used as armour.

‘Fuck, I’m about to be used as a face-slapping plot device, aren’t I?’ Xiao Hong cursed inwardly. ‘Fuck you, fate!’

She turned around, trying to pretend she didn’t see either of them and stared at the railing with great interest. Obviously, the railing was the most spectacular piece of architecture she’d seen in her life!

That’s when she found another detestable presence: Mo Tong.

‘FUCK! Why is this bastard here?!’ Xiao Hong nearly cursed out loud. She suddenly felt that Fate was conspiring against her. It seemed hell-bent on making her a plot device for some Protagonist and his squabbles with young masters. It did not give her face at all!

Her eyes darted around trying to find anything that would bring her out of having to speak with them. But fortune did not favour Xiao Hong today. 

Gu Ran who was closer, and thus reached Xiao Hong first, greeted with cupped fists, “Good Afternoon, Junior Sister Xiao; your beauty has become even more devastating!” 

Gu Ran’s experienced eyes immediately picked up on the slightly different temperament she exuded. Her aura was sharper and firmer, different from her softer, more peaceful aura from before. It was as if she had become more cultivator-like from her civilian-like state before. According to Gu Ran, she’d most likely fought and killed. Maybe not human beings, but she had definitely taken lives. She’d also very likely fought a few difficult battles. And as a result, her mindset had changed to become less soft.

Such an aura was much more to Gu Ran’s taste in women. So he honestly complimented her.

“You jest Senior Brother Gu, I have not changed at all.” Xiao Hong replied politely, cupping her fists.

Gu Ran simply nodded. He didn’t mention his notice of her change - no one liked to be read like a book, let alone a woman. Especially a woman. Besides, he was here to see if he could get the remaining Dark Abyss Stone from her - startling her would be counterproductive to that end.

“Ahem, I’d like to ask-” Gu Ran began but was interrupted by a loud voice.

“It brings me great joy to see you come along for the Trial, Junior Sister!” Qiao Xuan, who had just arrived, greeted her, completely ignoring Gu Ran.

“Greetings, Senior Brother Qiao.” Xiao Hong cupped her fists in greeting. 

Gu Ran’s eyes narrowed his eyes in irritation. He was really starting to hate this Qiao Xuan. Last time, he lost the Dark Abyss Stone to him, and now he was here again, hindering his goals. Gu Ran even thought for a moment that this dandy had something against him. But then he shook his head. It made no sense to him at all - why would he go out of his way to make trouble for someone unrelated?

And indeed, Qiao Xuan would not have. But sadly, Gu Ran chose the wrong time to have a conversation with Xiao Hong.

Qiao Xuan turned to Gu Ran and said, “Junior Brother, you are?”

Gu Ran suppressed his irritation and replied, “I am Gu Ran, Senior Brother Qiao. I-”

Qiao Xuan interrupted him again, “Junior Brother Gu, I have some very important business with Junior Sister Hong here, please do your business at a later time.” Saying so, he waved him away.

Gu Ran clenched his fists tightly. This time he was angry, but he still maintained his calm, “Senior Brother, I also have something very important to discuss with Junior Sister.”

“Oh and what could it be? Could it be more important than the Secret Realm Trial?” a contemptuous sneer appeared on his face as he mockingly asked.

‘Oh? Oh, Oh, Oh? What is this~? Young Masters face-slapping the Protagonists instead?? Is this, like, one of those Villain-dominates-Protagonists novels??!’ Xiao Hong’s urge to escape suddenly disappeared - it was another one of her favourite tropes after all!

A lot of disciples were starting to look over - Xiao Hong already had many people staring at her, plus, Qiao Xuan’s voice was quite loud, as though he were afraid no one would hear him. The combination of these factors caused a large number of people to pay attention to the three of them. So, like usual, these people brought out bags of melon seeds and chewed on them.

Melon Seed Eater B asked Melon Seed Eater A who had been watching the show from the start: “Yo, yo, what’s going on?”

Melon Seed Eater A briefly explained the situation to him upon which Melon Seed Eater B replied, “Tsk, this Gu Ran is too much! How could he, with his puny Earth Disaster Cultivation, have anything important to request of Junior Sister Xiao?”

Melon Seed Eater C popped in, apparently a Young Master bootlicker, “Right, right! How dare he disrupt Mission Leader Qiao’s business?! He should be removed from the Team!”

Melon Seed Eater A, however, clicked his tongue in disdain, “Tch, dumbasses. You really think that is what’s happening?”

Melon Seed Eater C as a Young Master bootlicker, had a short temper when it came to his boot. “What else could be happening then? Explain Mr.Oh-I’m-so-smart?” He challenged Melon Seed Eater A.

The chad Melon Seed Eater A’s disdainful expression intensified as he looked at the bootlicker, “How could Senior Brother Qiao have anything important to discuss with Junior Sister Xiao alone? If it was really something to do with the Mission, they’d get all the Mission Leaders and the Alchemists together and then discuss!”

Melon Seed Eater B was enlightened, “Then what could be happening, Ju-no, Senior Brother?”

“Hehe, isn’t it obvious? They’re competing for Junior Sister Xiao’s attention!” Melon Seed Eater A smirked.

“Ah! I see, I see! You’ve enlightened me, Senior Brother! Let me treat you to wine this evening!”

“Haha! It better be a good one, I have high standards!”

Similar conversations were happening among everyone observing. However, most of them did not have anyone as smart as Melon Seed Eater A. Or rather, they didn’t use their brains for this matter. Why would they, when it didn’t have much to do with them? Cultivation was exhausting enough on their brains!

Moreover, if they didn’t apply their brains, it would be even more enjoyable to watch! So the majority of the people were on Qiao Xuan’s side.

As such, the typical scene of the protagonist being ridiculed and the Young Master being praised ensued.

“This Gu Ran fellow is really arrogant! Just because Junior Sister Xiao is polite to him, he really thinks he’s awesome.” Melon Seed Eater M sneered.

“Heh! He probably wants to gain Junior Sister’s attention by boasting!”

Of course, there were also some people who applied their brains in the completely wrong direction:

“Just try seeing it from his perspective: how could a mere Earth Disaster like him draw Junior Sister’s attention? He has to boast. Otherwise, why would a genius Alchemist like Junior Sister even pay attention to him? This actually makes me admire his boldness!” 

Gu Ran, being an old fogie, was not to be trifled with either, so he repeated Melon Seed Eater A’s words, “Surely, Senior Brother Qiao, you’re not going to discuss the Mission with Junior Sister alone? There are other Alchemists as well!

“Would it not make more sense to talk with them all at once?”

“Or does Senior Brother, perhaps, have other motives?” Gu Ran questioned calmly, slightly emphasising the word ‘other’. He didn’t specify what the other ‘motives’ were. He left that to the listener’s imagination. A human’s imagination was incredibly active - they could cook up all sorts of things! And they also believed in everything they imagined!

This was partially why Inner Demons were so fearsome. They were merely products of one’s own imagination - but so many cultivators fell prey to them for this exact reason. Inner Demons were born from their own doubts and negative thoughts!

This was one of the reasons why more simple-minded cultivators achieved more in the path of Immortal Cultivation. Overthinkers literally thought themselves to death!

Of course, it wasn’t as simple as that, but in general, this was the case.

Just as Qiao Xuan was about to reply scathingly, a voice echoed through the Balcony, “Brother Qiao, I’ve been looking for you!”

 ‘Which idiot interrupted such a juicy moment?!’ Many people turned to the voice in dissatisfaction, only for their eyes to widen before they looked at the person who interrupted in admiration.

An extremely handsome young man, looking to be around 17 or 18 strolled over, his gait exuding an unparalleled confidence. His long, pure white hair was like a pristine veil of moonlight that rippled lightly with his steps. His perfectly chiselled jaw rivalled the finest sculpted marble. With his flawless skin that would make women jealous and icy-blue eyes that seemed to pierce one's soul, he did the term ‘Young Immortal’ a favour, rather than it being the other way round.

The young man radiated a powerful aura of sharpness, like an unsheathed Divine Sword. Any and all swords within a certain radius of him vibrated, letting out small cries of acknowledgement as he walked by.

This was the power of Sword Intent! And it was Sword Intent that was infinitely close to Sword Domain! 

Xiao Hong’s jealousy instantly pierced the Heavens! It was a super-attractive Sword Immortal she dreamed about being every day! She really wanted to be like that fellow, causing swords to acknowledge her as though she were their Queen wherever she walked.

“Brother Bai, what are you doing here?” Qiao Xuan’s surprise was evident.

This handsome young man was Bai Hao, the number one on the Outer Sect Roll! He was the Eldest Disciple of the Outer Sect and the Heir to the Bai Family - a powerful Family that far surpassed the likes of the Qiao Family. They had two Core Formation Elders among them, making them one of the more fearsome forces on the entire Eastern Mystic Continent! Only the Seven Great Families of the Inner Sect and other equivalents were stronger than them.

“Haha, I heard Brother Qiao had come to the Balcony, so I made haste to get here as soon as possible!” Bai Hao laughed as he walked over to them. “I really can’t forget the wine you shared last time!”

“So, that was it.” Qiao Xuan nodded. 

As he came closer, Xiao Hong could feel the terrifying aura from the man - it was far stronger than Qiao Xuan’s aura. And that was only in terms of Cultivation Base. Xiao Hong was sure that if he used his Sword Mastery, Qiao Xuan would be thrashed one-sidedly. And what was more hateful was that this bastard was around 17! The same age as her! 

Xiao Hong felt deeply stifled by the malice the World had towards her. ‘It’s okay that I’m not talented, but do you have to give others such a bullshit level of talent?!’

“Ah, and who are they?” Bai Hao noticed Xiao Hong and Gu Ran.

“This is Junior Sister Xiao, an extraordinarily talented Alchemist who’ll be joining us. She has an excellent reputation for refining only high-quality or top-quality pills and has never exchanged for a pill lower in quality!” Qiao Xuan introduced Xiao Hong to their interloper, his words filled with praise. He did not even bother to introduce Gu Ran.

“Greetings, Senior Brother Bai. Please take care of me during the Trials.” Xiao Hong greeted him with the standard fist-cupping. 

“Haha, it’ll be my pleasure to!” Bai Hao laughed, “I only hope that you will perform to the best of your abilities during the Trial.”

“I will, Senior Brother!” Xiao Hong nodded with determination. 

“Good! I expect great things from you!” He gave her an approving nod and then turned to Qiao Xuan.

“Brother Qiao, let’s go! My heart yearns for your Tears of the Fallen Immortal Wine! I won’t let you go until you…” And dragged a helpless Qiao Xuan away, each of his steps taking him hundreds of metres, while also somehow parting the crowd.

Xiao Hong stared at Bai Hao’s departing back with great interest. She was very surprised, because this Senior Brother didn’t ogle her, nor did he come up with all sorts of ways to talk to her for longer - unlike those other male cultivators.

And she was the only one that was surprised.

‘What an interesting fellow,’ Gu Ran felt surprised, ‘he managed to use his Sword Heart to sever his desire to show off in front of Junior Sister Xiao.

‘This kind of talent is truly one of a kind! It would be a great idea to make friends with him.

‘Also, this Lower Realm is quite extraordinary - there are already 3 anomalies that should not appear in a Lower Realm. Or at least the chance of them appearing should be infinitesimally small.’

So, I added a Recap at the beginning of the chapter, to help with the continuity. Is it helpful?

294