Chapter 30: The Senator From Onderon
898 3 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at Mina Bonteri I looked for any hint of deception.

I also felt for her emotions through the force.

But in both those departments I got nothing.

Mina's face is giving nothing away and her emotions and thoughts are locked up tight.

I can't get a clear read on her. Though she seems genuine.

Even so I can't simply take her on her word. One wrong move here and I might end up getting screwed over big time.

A situation I cannot afford to have happen under any circumstances.

That's why I need to feel her out a bit more before I make any decisions regarding her offer.

"My, what a generous offer you just made me senator Onteri. But please tell me, why does a senator from an Inner Rim planet care about the issues of the Outer Rim territories?" I spoke.

"Those people out there need people. Simple as that." Mina replied.

"Forgive me senator but from what I've seen over the years those in politics never do something for nothing. So, what is it you want?"

"As I said. I simply want to help the weak and defenseless. Since the government we both serve seems to just be content to ignore the problem. Disgusting." Mina spat.

Which tells me she already highly anti-Republic at this time like she is shown to be in the future in the cartoon.

"The Republic is supposed to stand for something. To help those who can't help themselves. Yet the ones in power only look out for their own interests." Mina spoke.

"Aren't you also one of those people in power." I pointed out.

"I am. But what other choice did I have if I wanted to make changes?" She replied. "When I first became a senator I was ecstatic to be part of what is called the heart of the great Galactic Republic. Now I simply keep my position as a senator to make sure Onderon doesn't end up in the hands of someone who would willingly sell out my home just to line their own pockets."

Hearing Mina speak I can tell her words are genuine.

Still, I'm not convinced just yet.

"I hear you senator, I do. Still, you know I am a jedi. We serve the Republic." I said.

Which made senator Bonteri snort. "Good one. Since you can say such words with a straight face I would almost believe you. Except your actions prove otherwise. For the last three years you have been working with Republic Judicial Forces to clear the Mid Rim of pirates and smugglers. And not on anyone's order I might add. But of your own volition. Reports I've received from the Republic personnel you've worked with all say generally the same thing. You are humble and respectful, and allow the military personnel to do their jobs instead of acting like you know better than them."

"Well I don't." I replied.

"All this proves to me is that unlike your fellow jedi you actively care for the people. And simply won't just act if the Senate commands. I've also heard rumors you are a supporter of the Republic once more having a central military force. Taking all this into account I believe we are of similar thinking master jedi. A change needs to be made in the galaxy. So, am I right?"

"Yes." I replied.

Having decided to trust Mina.

I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

"The Republic is not what it once was. A sad but harsh truth." I said.

"Truly." Mina added.

"So, if I agree to let you back me as you say how would it work?" I asked.

"I simply help you push your agenda's through." Mina spoke. "Nothing more and nothing less."

"What you're proposing is dangerous for us both." I said.

"Oh I'm well aware." Mina admitted. "Even so I feel if the two of us work together we can accomplish many good things."

"Well then, let's get to work." I said.

Mina and I then shook hands.

Starting a very fruitful and long lasting relationship.

Although neither of us knew that at the time.

***

Walking the streets of Coruscant I soon reached my destination.

A hangar I started renting under an assumed name several years ago where I now dock Solar Wind instead of at the jedi temple hangar.

Curiously when I stopped bringing my ship to the temple no one asked me about it. 

But if they are minding their own business who am I to question things.

Reaching the door of the hangar I placed my thumb on a scanner where the lock should be. Since I modified the door to only unlock using a biometric scan of my thumb.

Call me paranoid if you want, but considering all the shit in this universe out to get jedi I would rather be safe than sorry.

A few seconds passed before the scan completed and once it did I heard the familiar click of the door unlocking.

Pushing it opened I entered the hangar and then closed it behind me.

After I did I headed to one of the back rooms and changed into some comfortable clothing.

I then walked over to the lounge area I had set up when I first purchased the place.

It includes a couch, a rug, and a holoprojector so I can watch live news streams and holomovies if I want.

Reaching the couch I picked up Komari's legs and then sat down, placing them over my knees.

Since she is lying sprawled out on the couch lazily watching a news feed on the holoprojector.

Yeah, Komari knows about this place. As do Adi and Sifo-Dyas.

But that is all.

This is sort of like a safe house if things go to shit. So the less people who know about it the less chance there is its location is leaked.

"So, how did the meeting with the mystery person go?" She asked me.

"It went well. I think she will make a good ally." I said.

Which I generally believe.

After a rather wonderful meal senator Bonteri told me she would do all she could to get my Outer Rim anti-piracy and anti-smuggling task force approved and funded.

But knowing the Senate I am not holding my breath.

Still the fact she is going to try says a lot about her.

"She you say. Who did you meet with Van?" Komari asked.

"Senator Mina Bonteri of Onderon." I said. "It seems the good senator is fed up with the Republic and wants to do something about it."

"Can she be trusted?" Komari asked.

"I'm reasonably sure." I replied.

"Ok then." Komari said.

She then dropped the matter.

The two of us then watched the news in a comfortable silence.

I can't wait for more times like this.

***

(3rd Person: POV)

Arriving at her senatorial apartment Mina Bonteri quickly went into her bedroom and changed into her sleepwear.

She then grabbed a datapad and went to work.

She had a promise to keep after all.

To a person she hoped to cultivate a long lasting relationship.

Professionally mind you.

She is a happily married woman.

Besides, Mina knew enough about jedi to know they never got into serious relationships.

Then again Mina also knew Van Zobek was not a typical jedi.

He actively worked with the Judicial Forces to crack down on smugglers and pirates.

An action most jedi never take.

Oh sure, Mina knew they served as diplomats and bodyguards. Fixing problems all across the Republic.

But most of that was at the request of the Senate.

A place that made Mina's skin crawl.

But she stayed.

Not only to protect Onderon from the machinations of a person who might replace her, but also for her family. Her husband and son.

She wanted to set a good example for both.

But the more time Mina spent in the Republic Senate the more she realized just how difficult setting said example would be.

Given all the corruption within said governmental body.

Honestly being around it every day made Mina angry and near violently ill.

That's why if there was ever an alternative to the Republic she would chose it without hesitation.

She just hoped it would be better than the former.

A true beacon of fair and honest government within the galaxy.

As such thoughts ran through her mind Mina Bonteri began working on getting the first item on Van Zobek agenda approved.

Having no idea that in the future she would become a core member in founding that true beacon of fair and honest democracy within the galaxy.

***

Van teams up with Mina Bonteri over a decade before the Clone Wars.

Just how will this affect the future?

Stay tuned.

As for why I did this Van will need political allies in the future and Mina Bonteri fits the bill. She's anti-Republic but still has a conscience.

 

 

 

 

 

 

34