Chapter 33: Setting The Stage
833 1 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the military personnel walked into the conference room he took his seat at the table.

Since there is a only a single man from the Judicial Forces present.

But the insignia pins on his uniform tell me his rank is a captain. Which means he must know what he's doing.

I hope.

"Greetings master jedi I am captain Jan Dodonna. I hope we can work together to resolve this matter quickly." He spoke.

As he did so I had to stop myself from reacting.

Since Jan Dodonna is a legendary figure in the Star Wars universe.

Not only was he one the most highly decorated generals in the Rebellion in the original timeline but he also revolutionized modern space combat. Creating tactics and ideas used for generations to come.

To work with this man is an honor as far as I am concerned.

"We feel the same way captain Dodonna." Nova spoke.

"Yes." Marcellus agreed.

"Me as well." I added.

Dodonna nodded at our words.

He then activated the holotable.

The second after he did so various holo images projected in the air above it. Looking at them I saw ship log's, a 2-D map of the galaxy sporting various red dots, reports, etc.

"What you see here is all the information we have gathered on the attacks. Which from all accounts seem to be targeting the Techno Union." Dodonna spoke.

He then explained the situation in detail.

For the past several weeks an unknown group has been attacking cargo vessels affiliated with the Techno Union and stealing their contents.

These attacks have taken place all over the galaxy. From the Colonies to the Outer Rim territories.

"Our mission is to find the perpetrators of these attacks and stop them." Jan spoke. 

Finishing the mission briefimg.

As he did so I finally understood why we jedi were assigned to help deal with this matter.

The heads of the corporations associated with the Techno Union must've complained to their senator's who in turn likely brought this matter before the Senate in some fashion. Which in turn led to the Senate requesting jedi aid bringing us to right here and now.

"Understood. So, what leads have been investigated so far?" Marcellus asked.

"Not many I'm afraid." Jan replied. "We barely know anything about who is doing this. Since the only evidence they leave behind is the destruction they cause."

"What about survivors of these attacks?" I asked. "Surely their first-hand accounts must've given you some clue on where to direct this investigation."

At my words I sensed anger coming from both Jan and Nova.

"Master jedi there have been no survivors of these attacks." Jan said.

"Every single time these cargo vessels have been attacked all members of their crews have been killed. No exception." Nova explained.

"I see." I said. Clenching my fists as I did so.

Now I'm glad I was assigned this mission. Since people like this can't be allowed to continue doing as they please.

"Yes." Dodonna sadly agreed. "But that is why we must stop these attacks, so that no other people suffer the same fate."

"On that we all agree." Marcellus spoke. 

"Even so we still have a big issue in accomplishing the task at hand." Nova said. "From the various reports I've read detailing these attacks it looks like they are completely and utterly random."

"That is true." Jan agreed. "We have no idea when and where these unknown assailants will strike. Which is hampering our efforts to resolve this situation immensely. I've only been assigned a task force of six ships to command for the duration of this operation. We can't cover the entire galaxy. Unless we have a specific target to hit I'm afraid we're just stuck in dry dock."

"What about asking for assistance from the Techno Union themselves?" I asked. "Surely they must've have some idea who's targeting them. And on that note how about we ask them to lend us the aid of their own security forces to help us resolve this matter on a quicker note?"

Jan sighed at my questions. "Master Jedi not to offend you but I already requested both those things from the Techno Union when I assigned to handle this matter. In response they handed over a list of all potential threats and rivals who have the ability to perpetrate these attacks. But the list is a long one and will probably lead us nowhere. As for the Techno Union aiding us in any offensive operations against this threat they denied to do so."

"Why?" Nova asked. "These are their cargo vessels that are being attacked and their employees being slaughtered without restraint."

"Points I made when I made my request for aid to the Techno Union senator Wat Tambor master jedi." Dodonna explained. "The response I received was that at the current moment the Unions' armed forces are all tied up securing other interests and none can be spared to help deal with this matter."

Which means we're on our own in dealing with this shit.

"Tch!" Nova clicked her tongue in frustration. "Probably a load of bantha dung. They probably don't want to commit any forces to this so in case something goes wrong the blame will fall simply on all of us."

Nova is most likely right.

"That may well be true master jedi. Unfortunately we must work with what we have." Jan said.

"Then lets get to work." I spoke. "Let's go over all the data we currently have and can't see if can't find some clue or get some idea of what these attackers might do next. Everything they do can't be completely random. There has to be some kind of pattern and if we can find it we're one step closer to ending this whole thing."

The others nodded in agreement with my words.

Once they did so we started sifting through the data. Each of us reviewing a chunk of it and comparing notes and details with the others as we did so.

Several hours passed by in the blink of an eye.

As they did we got no closer to moving forward in our investigation.

Until we did.

"I think I've got something." Marcellus spoke up.

As he did so we all looked at him.

"What is it?" Jan asked.

"The cargo vessels that have all been attacked thus far have each been associated with a different company within the Techno Union." Marcellus explained.

He then showed us the data which proved his theory.

"Ok, so what does that tell us?" Nova asked.

"I think it tells us where the attackers will hit next. Since the only the companies whose cargo vessels have not been attacked thus far belong to Mon Cala Shipyards." Marcellus explained. "Following logic that will be the next target."

"While a good theory it's only a theory." Jan pointed out.

"True, but it's the only theory we have to go on at the moment. Unless anyone else has a better idea?" Marcellus stated.

No one spoke up.

"Ok, so following Marcellus' theory cargo vessels from Mon Gala Shipyards will be hit next. The only thing we need to figure out now is when and where." Nova spoke.

"I think that the where has already been established in a sense." I spoke.

"What do you mean master Jedi?" Jan asked me.

"Well from all the reports I've read over the past few hours it seems the cargo vessels that have been attacked thus far are always those either heading to or returning from the Outer Rim territories." I explained.

I then showed everyone the information behind my conclusion.

"You're right Van." Marcellus.

"So we basically have the where. Now all we need is the when." Nova said. 

"Unfortunately it's not going to be so easy." I spoke. "I still can't find a truly discernable pattern in the time of the attacks on the cargo vessels."

"Not to mention the Outer Rim territories are vast. Pinpointing one single attack in such a wide stretch of space without a few more key details is next to impossible." Jan added.

"So we've forward yet also taken several steps back." Marcellus said.

"Looks like it." I muttered.

If only we had more solid information we could end these attacks in no time at all.

This is frustrating.

"Hey, what if we set a trap?" Nova spoke up.

Which drew all our eyes to her.

"We spread a rumor that a group of cargo vessels from Mon Cala Shipyards is carrying highly experimental weapons technology. Then we wait and see if our attackers take the bait. If they do we pounce on then. Wrapping this entire thing up." She explained.

"That could work." Marcellus spoke up. "But do we have the time to do that before more cargo vessels are attacked?"

"I think we should." Jan said. "The reports say these perpetrators spread out their attacks. Only hitting a single target every few weeks. That's actually the reason it took us so long to realize these incidents were connected."

"Ok, this can work." I said.

Once I did so the four of us began ironing out the details of the operation.

Me hoping we aren't too late to save innocent lives.

 

 

 

 

30