Chapter 36: A Rebellion On Two Fronts
809 6 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaning against the wall of one of the entrances to the Senate Chamber I watched the current session take place.

Since today is the day Mina Bonteri puts forth my petition for an Outer Rim Judicial Forces taskforce to the floor of the Senate to be voted upon.

After months of preparation the moment of truth is here.

Let's see if the Senate shatters my expectations of them or not.

"The floor recognizes the senator from Onderon." Mas Amedda loudly proclaimed.

He is yet another one of Sidious' allies which I need to take out.

Since I am pretty sure he is one of those that cannot be turned to my own side. Along with several others in Sidious inner circle of pawns.

All of whom are going to need to die.

I just need to figure out how.

'So much to do so little time.' I thought.

Minus' repulsorpod floated into the middle of the chamber. Where the eyes of all senator's soon landed on her.

But to her credit she didn't even flinch with all those gazes pointed at her.

This makes me respect her even more.

"My fellow senator's today I come before you not for the sake of my own world but for the sake of those world's being ravaged by tyranny and oppression whose voices are not present here. Well today I have decided to be their voice. Today I have decided they need to be heard. For this body was created by the people for the people. So I ask of you all today let me convey the will of the people." Mima passionately spoke.

Drawing in the attention of multiple senator's from what I am sensing through the Force. Hell she's even drawing me in.

I guess that's the power of a great public speaker.

Mina gave an incredible wonderful and passionate opening statement.

She then got down to the heart of the matter.

"World's in the Outer Rim are being beseiged. Millions of beings oppressed by the likes of slavers, pirates, and warlords. Even if they are not part of the Republic I feel it is our duty, no our obligation to help them. That is why I have come before you today with a petition. A petition for the formation of a Judicial Forces Outer Rim taskforce whose sole purpose it will be to help those oppressed beings. I ask you senator's, think of your own homeworld's. Think of what you would do if it was being oppressed under tyranny and what lengths you would go to to rid your world of such oppression. I know what actions I would take. I would do everything within my power to see my home returned to freedom from any sort of tyranny. If any of you feel the same then I ask you, support this petition so that we may save others from a fate we ourselves could be living." Mina spoke.

Finishing her address to the Senate on a strong and powerful note.

"Voting will now commence." Amedda said.

The senator's then cast their votes.

I saw many repulsorpod's light up green, but many more light up red.

A few minutes passed before Finis announced the results.

"In a vote of 30% for and 70% against the petition put forth by senator Mina Bonteri from Onderon has been denied." Valorum explained.

This sent the entire Senate Chamber into an uproar.

Tuning out all their yelling and whining I simply waited as Mina repulsorpod floated over to the entrance of the Senate Chamber where I was leaning against the wall.

Once it did so she stepped out of it, a blank expression on her face.

But I can feel the anger, disappointment, and slight resignation at the results of the vote bubbling under the surface.

Saying nothing Mina began walking.

Then as she passed me I got in step right beside her.

Since people now know publicly we are acquainted.

The two of us arranged a meeting in public some months ago and now we are friends out in the open.

This makes it a lot easier for the two of us to discuss our plans.

As we walked the halls of the Senate building the two of us did so in complete silence.

Reaching Mines' private office in no time at all.

Once we did so we stepped inside.

I then went to sit on one of the couches.

While Mina went over to her office desk and started throwing things.

"Those selfish, greedy, uncaring kriffers!" Mina shouted.

Letting out all her bottled up anger.

As she did so I simply sat and waited until she finished.

Fifteen minutes passed before she finally calmed down.

Once she did Mina opened a drawer on the left side of her desk and pulled out a bottle of Regellian Draught. She then opened it up and took a big drink.

Not that I can blame her.

Placing the bottle atop her desk Mina crashed into her seat.

"Feel better now?" I asked her.

"Yes and no." Mina replied. "You know a small part of me held out hope the Republic might change. That is might one day become the shining beacon of hope in the galaxy it once was. But after today that part is utterly dead and buried."

"I mean at least you tried which is better than doing nothing." I spoke.

"Yes. But it seems no matter how hard I try things will never change." Mina spoke. "I wonder. Maybe my people and I would be better off if we simply left the Republic. I assume that would be a better alternative than staying aboard this sinking vessel of a government."

"Mina, what if I told you that I am very soon planning to leave the Jedi Order and by extension the Republic." I spoke.

As I did so Mina looked at me.

I met her gaze with my own. 

Unflinching as I did so.

I also reached into my left pocket and activated a short-range signal jammer.

Just in case anyone was being nosy and listening in on our conversation.

Which is about to take a very drastic turn.

Especially since I am about to try and convince Mina to have her and her people secede from the Republic earlier than in the original timeline.

In fact it won't just be Onderon either.

To oppose the Sidious and his plans I plan to create a new galactic superpower.

One that will actually care for its people and truly stand as a beacon of hope in this galaxy rife with strive and corruption.

"I asked you if you are serious." Mina replied.

"Very." I answered. "I've already laid some groundwork for my departure. And its not just me either, but several jedi who share my line of thinking." I revealed.

"Which is?" Mina asked me.

"That the Republic and Jedi Order have rotted too much from within to be saved." I spoke. "My allies and I have realized that if we want to truly make the galaxy a better place we must leave this failing government behind and not turn back. And from the way you speak and your ideals I wonder if you might be open to assisting us in our goals."

"By leaving the Republic you mean." Mina said.

"Yes. By leaving the Republic." I replied. "As well as creating a government that will truly represent its people. I know that there are many dissatisfied with the Republic. Those who are ignored, fed-up, and just downright disgusted at the current state of things. Just as we are. I mean to bring us together so that we might create something better." I explained. "Of course I do not seek power for myself. That is not my intention in any regard. I simply want to create a place in this galaxy where issues are not overlooked because they are inconvenient, where everyone has a voice, and where people truly stand up for what is right."

I mean every word.

"That sounds wonderful master jedi." Mina spoke. "And if that is your goal, your plan, then I would be happy to assist you."

"Truly?" I questioned.

"Truly." Mina said. "Several of my allies would as well." She revealed.

"Well then, let us get to work." I spoke.

"Yes." Mina agreed.

The two of us then started planning on our separation from the Galactic Republic.

***

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I was trying to show the political aspect of the Star Wars universe and what leads to the downfall of the Galactic Republic.

Since Sidious is only one man.

The Republic needed to already be failing for him to make his Galactic Empire a reality.

I hope this chapter conveys some of that.

Also a third power is coming to the Galactic Scene. Which will shake up canon immensely.

Stay tuned for more.

 

 

 

 

32