Chapter 38: Instruction & Debate
1.5k 9 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing at a podium I rested my elbows atop it.

Ready and waiting inside a grand lecture hall.

Since today is the today I begin instructing the kids participating in the Youth Legislative Program week-long workshop about the Jedi and Jedi Order in general.

As I worked to calm what little nerves I had the kids eventually start filing into the room.

Filling up the empty seats of the lecture hall. Until eventually no more arrived.

Seeing this I knew it was time to begin.

So I stood up straight and looked directly at all the students present for my first day of lecturing.

"Good morning youths of the galaxy." I spoke in a loud voice. So all of them could hear me. "My name is Van Zobek. And as some of you may have already surmised I am a Jedi. Specifically I am a Jedi Knight within the Jedi Order. As to why I am here I have been asked to instruct you all during this next week on what a Jedi truly is and what the Jedi Order truly is." I explained. "Now then, first we'll start off with a brief history lesson."

I began by telling the students about how the Jedi Order first originated on the now lost planet of Tython.

Then I went into explaining to them how the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic have stood side-by-side for millennium. Having weathered all manner of conflicts together from the Great Hyperspace War, to the Galactic War, to most recently the New Sith Wars.

As I spoke I felt happy since all the students were paying attention to my lecture, interest clear as day in their eyes.

Now I know how all my teachers felt in school during my previous life.

Eventually I ended the history portion of the lecture.

I then began explaining the various roles a Jedi performed.

We are warriors, diplomats, protectors, etc.

Once I finished up that portion I gave students a simplified overview of how we Jedi are able to utilize the Force. I then took out my lightsaber and showed if off, while also explaining its primary functions to Jedi as well.

Before I knew it the time for my lecture came to an end.

As the youth left chatting about it amongst themselves I felt my words reached them.

Making this entire thing worth it.

***

The following day I got quite a shock.

Since nearly all the seats in the lecture hall were filled.

'I guess I made more of an impression than I initially thought.' I thought.

Well it's fine.

The more the merrier.

Once it became time for the lecture to begin I did so. Giving a brief overview of the material I covered the previous day.

I then decided to open the floor up to questions for the second half of class.

Give the youth a chance to voice their own opinions on the material I've covered thus far.

When I did this several hands went up.

I selected one at random.

"Mr. Jedi are you a military officer?" A young woman asked me.

"I am not." I replied.

"If so then why as a Jedi are you allowed to lead troops into battle?" The same girl asked again.

Making me like her way of thought.

"Well as I've said. The Jedi and the Republic have had a unique relationship for generations. We are its protectors and as you've heard from my brief history lessons that is especially true in times of great conflict. It is during those times we Jedi are usually treated as military officers and given command of soldiers. Even though we are not soldiers ourselves." I explained. "But to be clear most Jedi nowadays have little to none military training. Not like the Jedi of old who took several military courses and trained in the ways of warfare in case they were ever called to the battlefield."

"But isn't that a good thing?" A young girl spoke up. "No Jedi being trained in the ways of military affairs means peace has reigned for a long time and diplomacy is prevailing."

I looked at the girl who spoke up. "One could say that young lady. But it depends on your own beliefs regarding such matters." I told her. "Also, may I please have your name since you feel it's alright to speak out of turn."

The young girl blushed at my words, while several other children snickered.

"Sorry Mr. Jedi." The girl told me. "As for my name I am Padme Amidala of Naboo." She stated.

"I see." I mused.

Keeping my face neutral as I did so. As I looked at one of the most iconic characters in the Star Wars universe.

"Well thank you for words of insight Ms. Amidala.  Now then, let's move on." I spoke.

As I did so the youths hands shot up once more.

This time I picked the raised hand of a teenage Tholothian male.

"Sir, if the Republic were to enter a war would the Jedi participate in it like they did in the past?" The boy asked.

"Of course we would." I replied. "We are the defenders of the Republic after all. If it was in trouble we Jedi would respond without hesitation. But unlike in the old days we would be at a severe disadvantage."

"Why?" A male Rodian asked.

"Because unlike in the past the Republic has no military that would be able to assist us Jedi in fighting a war." I explained. "Listen well my young friends we Jedi are not all powerful despite what rumors might be going around the galaxy that we are. We might be able to access the Force but we bleed and die just the same as others. Not to mention on a grand scale our numbers are small. So if war was to ever come to the Republic like in the days of old it would be in serious trouble."

My statement caused several students to start murmuring and I saw the gears turning in their heads.

Good.

"But Mr. Jedi if we focus on diplomacy then there will be no need for war, and if it does break out we can end it quickly." Padme spoke up.

As she did so I resisted the urge to facepalm.

While I loved Padme fiery spirit in the movies and the cartoon her stubbornness in regards that everything can be solved with words is something that grated on my nerves.

"Ms. Amidala while I admire that sentiment of yours I'm afraid the world you seek is an impossible dream. There are beings out there who will never be willing to negotiate and will only stop when you meet them with force. Of course I'm am always up for finding a peaceful solution to matters. But sometimes that's just not possible." I stated.

At my words Padme flinched slightly.

She then didn't say anything for the rest of the question & answer session.

But I could sense conflicting emotions coming from her as it continued.

Meaning she was thinking a out my words.

Good.

Now maybe when the Naboo Crisis happens she'll be open to a more aggressive means of ending it.

Once again proving that coming to lecture these students wasn't a mistake at all.

I wonder if I can make this a regular thing.

 

 

 

29