Chapter 217: Because We Must.
20 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here we stood, facing off with a literal God. Though, this was hardly the end of our journey, it truly felt like it. Even then, I wasn’t sad or disappointed. If anything, I felt a burning pride. Together we stood. Our souls ablaze, like a burning bonfire resisting the storm.

With every passing second, the God’s presence bore down on us. With every passing second that presence weighing us down grew that much more. Resistance felt futile. It felt like, we alone were holding up the skies. Only together did we manage to stand. Our burst of energy, influenced by Aspa’s sudden inexplicable transformation was like a lighthouse glaring out on a foggy night. A single ray of guiding light. Ushering us onward, calling out to us.

Even now, standing next to him. I could feel it. His body calling out, a challenge to all our Saiyan blood. Demanding, taunting us, asking us almost constantly, could we keep up? And so, we did. Even unleashing everything, even pushing against that constant pressure upon us, we did the unthinkable. We resisted.

And yet, even with all of us working together, it did nothing. Now though, our resistance has rallied others. Jake, finally making an appearance. The others I fought earlier now finally out of their little slump. Even then, we knew without a doubt, we could not win.

The fear in my bones still existed. The primal urge to flee still existed deep within my blood. But most of all, I felt those beside me. Their burning souls, helping to keep my own blazing. And in doing so, my ow soul did the same to them.

Even when the God floated, mostly unharmed despite us throwing everything, we all faced forward. Not a single one of us took a step back. Not a single one of us speaking beyond what was necessary. We grit out teeth and smiled. Putting our best foot forward, prepared to die.

We waited; we watched as the God looked down on us. Every second it grew stronger. Marking itself on creation. Settling in and yet, it did not immediately move to strike us down. Nor could we simply attack it. Just standing here, standing against it was hard enough.

I was tired, but even then, even through the exhaustion, I felt a constant pulse of energy. A resonance between me and everyone else. I glanced over to Aspa, the man, my father. It felt right to say that now. Seeing him. His form, even now crackling with wild energy, his hair white, blood red eyes. He stood tall, as if bearing the weight of the world.

He was, in a way, our pillar. His own body constantly challenging us. Encouraging us to press on. No doubt, he was taking the bulk of the God’s presence. Even then, he stood tall and we, at his back, supported him.

Seconds, minutes passed with neither side moving. The air around us thickened like soup. Only when it felt like we might break, the God spoke.

“Why?” It said, a voice made up of countless others. All meshed together perfectly. “Why do you resist what you cannot fight?” It continued, I could sense the curiosity, and perhaps something more. A sense of awe.

I expected Aspa to speak up, but at the God’s words every head turned on me, focusing on me. Even the God’s. The sheer weight of their expectations nearly made me buckle, but somehow, some way, I held my ground. I gathered everything I could, knowing that I couldn’t back off. Not like this.

Still… why the hell am I the one answering!?

Biting back my wish to retort, or merely yell out my frustration. I spoke. Not with just my voice, but our collective will.

“Because, we must.” Was all I answered with. It was after all, self-evident. My answer seemed to confuse them.

“Is that so? Then what if, we were to offer an alternative.” They said slowly, letting each word worm its way into our skulls and brains. “Turn back now, flee, and you shall be spared.”

Silence followed. Eyes still focused on me; I didn’t speak up. Instead, I looked over to those beside me, to those behind me. Focusing instead on each of them in turn before turning back to the God whose gaze was still on me.

“That isn’t my decision to make.” I simply said, shrugging. I felt the gazes shift, our combined will shuddering for a moment. Then, came a low laugh. I glanced over to Aspa, and he spoke.

“As a father, I have a duty. A duty to protect my…” He paused and looked at me, then Vega. “Daughters.” He finished. And I could almost feel Vega’s heart quake. “I will not leave. Not now, not ever.”

His words ignited something. Seri spoke up next, “I would never abandon my mother!” And echoing her sentiment were the children, all making the same claim. “After all, we were raised better than that!” She exclaimed one last time, earning nods from Latus, Reeka, and Radda. Even the God before us seemed to acknowledge her words.

Then came Jake, forcing out his words. “Rettas showed me what it means to be a beast. To truly live. To step away now, would be to abandon those teachings.” His followers echoed his sentiment. Firming their stances.

“I’ve already decided my course, and I don’t like changing my mind halfway through. I’m in this to the end.” Fera followed up and ended with a sigh. But even then, I felt her conviction.

Mary merely laughed at the God. And Kaede said not a word, only brandishing her blade to show her intent. Bailey at my side was silent, but even against the pressure she stepped up to Aspa’s side. Making her intent clear.

The God watched us. Seemingly weighing us. Judging us. When it finally spoke, it held a different kind of emotion. “Truly, for beasts, unruly animals that could never abide peace… we have to admit, the way you live your lives is quite… beautiful.” It said, the melancholy, the regret and perhaps something more in its tone.

“We will not continue to dishonor your choice. Even if we must end you, we will not enjoy this. After all, this is for peace. For the future. For all people.” It spoke righteously, and yet, I felt like it was trying to convince itself.

“Is that so?” I bit in. “Can you really say that?” I continued, for no other reason than to buy a little more time. For even with the pressure bearing down on us, every second still allowed us to rally something, anything to resist. The God went silent at my provocations. “After all, can you even say that when you gave up already?” It was a guess. A shot in the dark.

And yet, those words stilled the God. Their presence, even for a second, seemed to waver. The pressure upon our shoulders faded. Before we could even try to take advantage of that, it came back in force. Nearly making our knees buckle. The presence, now pressing us down wasn’t merely passive, but active. The God before us trying to make us kneel before them.

“And what would you know?” It said, its voice rang out. Filling our hearts and nearly extinguishing our flames. Even then, I knew I could not stay silent. I could not simply sit back and wait.

Taking everything, I had, I spoke. “Because, the only reason you would be acting, is if you gave up. Isn’t it?” I wasn’t entirely sure. I had theories, lots of ideas on what the God before me was, but nothing concrete. Yet, it felt right. My intuition screamed at me. Guiding me. A bestial thing that rarely if ever steered me wrong.

And once more, it proved its worth. The God went silent, buying us a momentary reprieve, even if the pressure never relented. However, my words had an effect. Though, if that was positive or not, I wasn’t sure.

“You may be right… However, it changes little. Even if you are right, we will end you in a single blow. That is the truth.”

As one, we faced our impending death. Not a single person uttered a complaint. I felt pride in those children, pride in those around me. I felt them press in, Vega’s hand grasped mine. Bailey walked up to me. Each and every one of us huddled in closer, as if for a family picture. The God before us extended a hand, energy gathering.

An ending like this wouldn’t be so bad? Right? Even if it felt cheap, out of nowhere, like suddenly encountering the final boss in the starter area of a game. I think, this wasn’t so bad at least. And I could feel that sentiment. A shared feeling passed between us all.

None of us would have it any other way. And yet, looking at the God, despite their flashy appearance that made you pay attention to them. My eyes caught on something peculiar. A rapidly approaching figure. Stumbling and running with all they had. A familiar figure, but one I couldn’t quite place.

I felt like the world came to a stop. Every single one of us slowly noticed that approaching figure, hell, even the God realized they were approaching. Not a single one of us moved, the God content to simply wait and see what happens before erasing us from existence.

It was strange, futile and totally ruined the mood seeing them. They didn’t look heroic. Not with how they were struggling to make it here nor did it seem like they were having an overly difficult time. Which was strange with how heavy the pressure the God was giving off. In the end, we just stared and when they got closer, that feeling of familiarity grew, until they finally got close enough to the God and did the most bewildering thing possible.

“SNEAK! ATTACK!” He, because they were very clearly a he, yelled out. Not a single person even thought his so-called attack was sneaky, hell, his approach was anything but sneaky. It felt like we were all being made fun of. Like this was some kind of joke.

Hearing the man’s voice, the God turned. “Useless, you can-“ They never got to finish. The man’s ‘sneak’ attack not only punched through the golden barrier surrounding the God, but even managed to land a square hit right on the featureless face of the God. The God stumbled back, and the man awkwardly hit the ground and stumbled before managing to position himself between us and the God.

The God was frozen. As we all were. On that featureless face, that mostly unmarred face, barring where Asa had dealt a blow, that single scuff mark, dent on its otherwise perfect features. Was another mark. A mark delivered by the man before us.

“I-I-I’ve come to help, b-b-b-brother!” The mans stuttered, clearly terrified. None of us had any clue who it was, except Aspa who started laughing. It was then, that the dots connected.

“WAIT!” I exclaimed, “NORM!?” I questioned.

“YES!” He answered back, almost in a squeal. I had so very many questions. The man looked terrified. His knee’s shaking so much I wasn’t sure how he was even standing. The oddest part was, it wasn’t because of the pressure, no, the man was merely terrified.

“I couldn’t just stand back, and watch my brother die!” He exclaimed, answering the question nobody asked. “Not when your putting everything on the line, so, I figured I’d join in!” He managed to finish between teeth chattering and stuttering and all. Even then, Aspa stepped forward.

“I’m glad you could be here, brother.” At that, Aspa laid a hand upon his shoulder and almost immediately, the man, Norm calmed down. “But, as amazing as that punch was, I don’t know if you being here would help.”

Almost as if to answer him, the God recovered. “You!” I didn’t really sense anger, despite them yelling, really it felt more like complete and total confusion. “Do you think!” Norm didn’t let them continue, letting out a cry.

“SUCKER PUNCH!” He declared, to everyone’s embarrassment. The God reacted, throwing up a blinding barrier and yet, once more. Norm simply crashed through it and delivered another punch to its face. Completely and totally uncontested.

The God hit went flying and hit the ground. Norm, shakily tried to stand tall. “I can hit them, I can beat them, but… not alone!” He declared, looking back at each one of us. In spite of his fear, in spite of everything. That look he sent us. That fire in his eyes resonated with each and every one of us. Telling us all, he wasn’t delusional, he wasn’t insane. That he could do what he said, only, he needed us.

I laughed. A full bellied laugh, tears coming out of my eyes. As I laughed, more of us joined in, until I felt my stomach hurting. I caught my breath and stepped forward, wiping away the tears. I walked past Aspa, right to Norm’s side.

“Right, sounds good, we’ll back you up. Just do your best, right?” I asked and looked back. At my words every person nodded and shouted back.

“I will!” He declared. Taking up the front, with us at the back. The God, stood, a pillar of light descending on their position. Bewilderment gave way to anger and rage.

“Right, let's go to town on that God!” Everyone yelled out in unison. We charged forward. Norm at the forefront. Angered, the god fired out blasts of energy, Norm threw himself in the way, the energy shattering on contact with him. Which raised more questions, but now was not the time. Seeing their efforts made useless by the oddity known as Norm, the God prepared to flee, only for Kaede the shinobi, along with the vampire samurai girl to shoot forward. Together, they burst out with tremendous energy, pulling out everything they had, their blades expanding and pulsating with incredible power. One lit up with an eerie blue light, the other a crimson glow.

They both flew above the God, managing to cut them off, and swung. Less like a sword swing and more like a pair of batters trying to hit a homerun at the same time. Smashing into the God’s barrier, shattering it, and hitting their form to no effect. Yet, it still carried enough force to abort the God’s attempt to flee, giving time for Norm to catch up, throwing another punch into the God’s face. Crumpling it in ever so much.

“HOW!?” The God declared, their voice impacted with physical force enough that our eardrums burst and yet, our resonating ki pulsed out, so when Norm spoke, we all heard it.

“My hands are rated, E for everyone! Even God’s!” I nearly stumbled, having him take my taunt. No, what was worse was it would have sounded cool if he didn’t keep stumbling over his words. In the end, it just sounded awkward and totally out of place.

The God froze, giving him time to punch him again, sending the God flying. While also waking them up. Now, they were clearly infuriated. Letting out a roar they didn’t bother to fire energy out, simply charging forward towards Norm. He yelped out, but before the God could even reach him, both Jake and a woman wearing a familiar outfit stepped forward. A fusion outfit.

“SHADOW!” Jake roared, his shadow expanding and flowing into him. Covering him in darkness, where only blood red eyes and a maw filled with jagged teeth could be seen. The one beside him spoke, their voice layered, as if two people combined, and immediately I understood.

““Strengthen!”” It was obviously a fusion, their hair split between black and white. Their energy surged, and combined Jake and the fused vampire swung out. The combined blows destroyed the barrier surrounding the God, the ground around them exploded, their fists carried through. Smashing into the God to no effect once more, but Norm came in from behind. With everything he had, and a strangled cry, he punched the God’s sternum, denting it in. But, it didn’t go flying.

The God’s form shone brilliantly. A hand raised to strike Norm down, both Jake and the fused vampire froze, unable to move as the pressure bearing down on us all receded and focused on the area surrounding the God. The ground around them impacted inwards. Blood sprayed from both Jake and the fused vampires' mouths.

I tried to catch up, but me and my fellow Saiyan were exhausted, and in order to break the barrier surrounding the God every single combatant was using everything they had to slow them down. Which meant, they were faster than us and stronger than us. I knew, instinctively I knew, we wouldn’t be able to reach Norm in time. He would be struck down and die. Yet, a red blur bypassed us. An older man, suddenly materialized right before the God.

All at once, a terrifying presence bore down, both negating the God’s own presence and deflecting the incoming blow towards Norm. Norm took the chance to strike again, once more hammering into the God’s chest, sending them back. Jake glanced back at the man, a trace of surprise in his eyes.

The old man fell to his knee’s coughing up blood, but quickly forced himself back up. A nod was passed before they surged forward, working together, allowing Norm another pair of strikes. Kaede and the vampire samurai came back, striking another blow against the God, allowing for another strike.

And when the God recovered, once more trying to hit Norm, blasting back the now exhausted Jake, and the fusion, whom defused on hit, splitting into a pair of vampires, one black, the other white. When all this happened, a concentrated beam of crimson energy, with the viscosity of blood slammed into the God, pushing them back, allowing Norm to scuttle away.

Once more the God tried to catch up to Norm, trying to kill him when the blood beam came back. Glancing back, Mary was working with a vampire sorceress, combining and concentrating their blood energy into fine beams or projectiles to slow and harass the God, allowing Norm to get hits in, slamming his fist into arms and legs, while avoiding disrupting the energy beam.

Once more enraged, the God’s presence faded, withdrawing in before exploding. Slamming into us like a hammer, forcing us all back, save for Norm who was entirely unaffected. Taking the chance, the God surged forward, only to be cut off by the sound of thunder, the crack of a gun firing off. A bullet easily the size of my head, pierced through the shield, smashed into the God’s face and for a moment, it seemed like it too would be rebuffed, only for it to punch in and imbed itself into the God’s face, forcing it back.

I barely sensed the fluctuation of energy, but instinctively I knew who it was, the sniper vampire. Of course, having shot their shot, I sensed them collapse into unconsciousness. Even then, the damage they did was not small. A chunk of metal hit the ground, revealing the cratered and fractured face of the God before us. Chips and pieces of it fell. Golden blood oozing from within. Almost cautiously, the God raised a hand to its face, pulling back the golden ichor making up its form.

A moment, a beat was all it took and yet, I couldn’t help myself.

“IT BLEEDS!” I yelled out and cackled, and like beasts smelling blood we pursued. Hearing my words, the God was not cowed. For a flicker, for a moment it seemed ready to run, but it didn’t. We were closing in, finally able to support, the God, suddenly froze. The wheel behind its back gave a loud clunking tick, and the next second it was gone.

Norm cried out, having made some distance from the God after seeing the bullet slam into its face, knowing he would draw its ire. Not only that, but having been pushed back, we were still a distance away. Yet, in a single moment the God had closed the distance. Fist raised, prepared to strike him down.

Suddenly, a line was drawn on creation. A woman in a white suit appeared, A wicked knife in hand, a second later, the blade shattered and yet, the God’s limb went flying. Golden ichor spurted from the stump of an arm. A pause, a brief moment. The God roared, and the earth quaked. The knife wielding vampire hit the ground hard, and Norm stumbled. The God stamped forward, preparing to end Norm’s life along with the knife wielding vampire’s life, when Fera came bursting in. She ran in, twisting her body, tail slapping aside the vampire, all the way to safety and with a twist of her body, managed to grab Norm with her mouth and drag him away, but not unharmed. The god barely missed her, even then, the force behind the God's blow carried through, smashing into Fera, shooting her towards us. In a final flex of her body, she managed to toss Norm our way before continuing to hurtle away.

Norm landed in our midst, while Fera continued rolling past, and out of the fight. I glanced around, taking stock of our surroundings. Grimacing. It was only us. The vampires were out, including Mary. Fera was out as well, and Kaede the Shinobi was panting by the side. Her blade sporting some worrying cracks.

In the end, that just left us. It was annoying to have been sidelined so long, but… it did give us more time to recover. It wasn’t much, but. Now? Now we felt like maybe we could actually do something.

The God stood, ichor had stopped dripping from their stump of an arm, their arm had curled up and was rapidly dissipating into light. They looked at us with their cracked face. Focusing on Norm, and I could sense, that it was about done. Without a word, the world shook again. The pressure changed, from pressing down to lifting us up. We had no issue, but Norm did. I tried to catch him, or help him, only to find my own flight cut off on contact. Though, I could still circulate my ki oddly enough. Just not force it out.

I tossed him towards a chunk of debris floating up and the moment I let him go, I found I could fly again. I considered the implications, but didn’t know exactly how to warn everyone about that… Well, might as well try.

“If you touch Norm you can’t fly!” I sent out with my ki, hoping the God couldn’t hear us. Though, based on how they were trembling on the spot, I suspected they might not have listened even if I yelled it to the heavens.

“Enough.” The God spoke, the rising debris and landmasses froze in the air. Chunks of the planet simply raised. A wave of their hand, and a huge number of chunks gathered around them. Instinctively, I knew what was going to happen. Norm could stop supernatural things and no doubt he was buffing himself with Ki. Normal attacks could hurt if not kill him, but so could more mundane means. Like, throwing countless projectiles at him.

“PROTECT NORM!” I declared, though, I really didn’t have to reiterate our purpose. Countless rock projectiles shot towards Norm, and the children all worked together, sending out ki blasts to avoid them, whilst Norm ran and hopped along floating landmasses, doing his best to bridged the gap. Aspa flew by his side, managing to grab and chuck him towards the God.

The God swept its arm across its body in a flourish, resulting in a giant chunk of rock shuddering and hurtling towards Norm. Vega and I forced ourselves forward, both of us punched the giant mass, causing it to splinter and shatter. The kids followed up along with bailey, with a score of energy blasts to vaporize what was left, allowing Norm to punch the God again.

The God tried to swipe at him, only for Latus to come roaring in and body slam them, breaking past the golden barrier that seemed to have grown weaker. Making the God whiff their attempt. Norm went sailing away, only to get caught by Reeka, and promptly thrown towards another landmass.

At this, we cycled. Moving and dancing between projectiles. Flying and flowing, buying time for Norm.

With every punch, the God grew notably weaker, and yet, we quickly tired. Expending ki to destroy projectiles and oncoming obstacles. Using our bodies to take hits and get Norm out of the way. Quickly, we found ourselves reaching our absolute limit. Our ki sputtering. Our already abused bodies starting to fail and yet, when we thought it was the end, a nw burst of energy would fill us. Pushing us on.

After a hit, I went flying. Crashing into the ground. I sat there a moment. My body not wanting to respond. I heard feet land next to me, I reached out my hand, and another hand grasped mine. Pull me up. Now standing, I looked at my helper.

“You okay?” It was Vega. Exhausted and covered in wounds, much like myself. “Just taking a breather.” I replied, shaking off what I could and once more throwing myself into the fight. Vega followed just behind.

Another attempt. Another moment where I thought I wouldn’t get up.

“Done already mom?” Seri asked, helping me up.

“I could do this all day.” I said, ignoring how exhausted I was. Another round, another crash. This time resulting in me taking a serious blow. I coughed up blood. My accrued wounds no longer healing. Bailey came this time, supporting me up.

“That… those look serious.” She said, ignoring her own wounds that were just as bad, if not worse.

“Tis, but a flesh wound.” I said jokingly, and even the serious frown on her face cracked, a ghost of a smile making its way there.

“It is, isn’t it?” She said, trying not to laugh. Once more, we went into the breach. Over and over. Each of us at our limits. Even then, slowly, I felt changes overcoming the children. Subtle things. But I knew, without a doubt, that after this they would evolve, improve. Only needing a final catalyst. Attaining God Ki, or Super Saiyan 4, hell, some of them even had the burgeoning embers for Evil Ki, only needing a small push.

A push they would only get after this fight ended, no doubt. Next time, Aspa hit the ground, his energy fluctuating madly. I could feel the toll his form was taking on his body. I flew down and helped him up.

“What, can’t keep up old timer?” I said, extending a hand. He laughed, ignoring the pain. Grasping my hand.

“You should be the one keeping up with me.” He said, a twinkle in his eyes and once more we went. Again, and again. Over and over. Slowly, the wounds on the God accrued. Slowly the damage picked up, until all at once, it seemed to end. Once more Norm crashed into the God, only this time they fell to the ground.

Norm atop them, sending out punches. The man was exhausted. How he was even standing was beyond me, but I could hear him talking to himself. Muttering under his breath.

“They’re counting on me.” “I can’t give up now.” “Just another punch. Just one more.” Constantly psyching himself up, pushing himself forward. The occasional word, or compliment from Aspa or one of us seemingly revitalizing the man.

Until finally, it all ended. The presence faded; the God lie still on the ground. Norm beating it. Only to stop, just before he could properly kill the God. He as panting. Hesitating. Yet not a single one of us could do anything. The moment the God fell, we all fell. Transformations ended, we all hit the ground in heaps. Panting and breathing. Our bodies simply no longer responding to our will.

We all wished for sleep. Our aching bodies demanded it. Many slipping into slumber, and yet, I forced myself to stay awake, listening for the end.

“Why, do you fight for them? They are calamities, they will bring the end of everything?” The God asked, their voice almost a whisper a cry.

“Because! They are my family!” He spoke. “And no matter what, I want to believe what Rettas told us long ago.” I could feel the God’s focus. Intent to hear what it was that Norm said. “That she will show us a world, beyond what we know. A future none of us could ever know. Further beyond our greatest dreams!”

A conviction in his words, and yet, with those words, I heard the God sigh.

“Is that… so?” And I heard no more.

Norm's ability was hinted at for a long time. With the prison arc being the most obvious. Norm can negate supernatural phenomena. He is both, the strongest and weakest person in the universe. He can strengthen himself with ki, but he dies fairly easily to technology or mundane attacks. Still, that means he can actually hit and hurt Gods, ghosts, and such. His strikes completely negating the natural ki shields and everything else. The sniper vampire and the Knife wielding vampire were both MVP's however, both utilize strange, but exceptionally powerful skills and arguably did the most damage to the God.

Frankly, I can't tell if I did good or not with the fight. It felt messy at times, and besides stretching it out, which I didn't want to do. I feel like I hit that sweet spot of length and intensity. Next chapter is the fallout and debrief, and we make a sprint for the Majin, tying up the last few knots before the final, final fight. Knowing how close the story is to ending, I find it hard to sit down and write because I'm constantly thinking about what I want to do next, worse when I know just how close we are. It'll probably be five more chapters at most? I'm not really sure. The absolute max would be ten chapters. I'm already at the word goal I had for the final book.

1