Chapter 9 Date Night.
82 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Dr. Emma Winters)

Emma woke early to find that Steven had a spike while she was sleeping. Fear gripped her for a moment as she wondered if she was about to watch him sleep with another woman. Was it that she didn’t want to watch it or that it wouldn’t be her with him? She took her time getting some water for her hangover and reached a point where she couldn’t wait any longer and opened the file. The spike was minor and she let go of a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding. The scan opened and the feed pulled up. She watched him pull the cat woman out of the tavern and to the back alley. She turned up the sound and listened to him tell her that he had ordered three dolls for the girls.  She let out a slight growl as she watched the other woman jump at Steven and hug him. This explained the spike and she made her report about it. She bit her lip as she struggled to write an Email she really didn’t want to write. After several drafts and going back and forth on sending it, she finally worked up the nerve and sent it off.

Subject: Can I have a meeting with Steven?

From: Dr. Emma Winters

To: Dr. Travis Walker

Travis, I know it hasn’t been that long since Steven has been, but some weird spikes have come up and I was hoping to interview him. It would also be nice if we could email him if anything comes up. Feel free to update me on your life as I feel mostly alone after working with you two for the past few months. Hope to hear from you soon.

 

She got ready for the day and jumped when her phone rang. It was Travis. She took a deep breath before she answered it.

“Hello Travis. I take it you got my Email?” She asked, clearing her throat. He chuckled embarrassed

“Yeah. We actually forgot to incorporate that in the last update. Sorry. We are planning another one in about two hours. If you can get here, I may be able to plug you in during a sleep cycle.” Her heart fluttered as what he said hit her.

“Plug me in? Like I’d be able to be in the game with him?” She asked not sure if she had the nerve to do that. He sighed and made a humming noise.

“No, you would just be in one of our programs. I can get everything set up in the meantime.”

“So I’d be in a dream program? Can I pick the program?” She asked, thinking of a beach and blushed madly as she thought of Steven in his avatar in swim trunks.

“I don’t see why not. What did you have in mind? The beach? Movies? Or how about a cafe in Paris?” He said the last one with a chuckle. He had known her better than she wanted to say.

“The last one sounds nice. Would we be able to eat and drink?” He made a grunt that sounded like yes. She knew he was referencing some old show and she smiled at that. The nice thing about nerds is that they didn’t judge others unless one was talking poorly about what they were passionate about. “Thank you. I owe you a big one.” She said, pumping her fist and thinking about what she would wear.

“Yeppers. About that, Gabe Towson has been asking about your counterpart watching Lu-Shi. Do you know if she is single?” He asked and she could hear him wince through the phone.

“Actually yes. You want me to ask for him?” He made that grunting noise again. “See you soon. I’ll ask her when I can.” She hung up and jumped up and down cheering. She would have to pick a nice outfit. Would that really matter though as he wouldn’t be able to see what she picked? She would still dress up a little just in case. Her cats were yelling for food and she started singing as she moved around her apartment.

(Steven Edwards)

I opened my eyes and was sitting in a cafe on a tight street. It looked like a car wouldn’t be able to fit, but a scooter would or I bet most people just walked through. I watched several people walk past. I had expected to see Alfraid waving at Batman and Catwoman, but sadly no. It was clear I was in a program. A screen popped up and I smiled at it.

EMMA WANTED TO TALK AND WE NEEDED TO UPDATE THE SYSTEM. BREAKFAST IS ON ME. TRAVIS OUT.

I smiled and held my hand up. A generic french man walked up and said in a stilted way.

“What can I get you?” He asked robotically.

“Can I have a Coke and the young woman joining me will have an iced coffee with hazelnut sprinkled on top. Also two croissants please.” I said remembering the way she liked her overpriced fancy goodness.

“Very good sir.” He walked away and the drinks and food popped onto the table. I took a drink of the soda and smiled. I had missed this. Emma came in with a chime and my jaw dropped. She looked hot as hell. She was wearing a black sleeveless turtleneck dress. It hugged her body perfectly and drew my eyes to the carves that her lab coat had been hiding. She also had on a sexy red lipstick, tasteful makeup and black boots that came to mid calf. She smiled at me and then looked down at herself. I heard her say under her breath as she picked up the coffee.

“Travis I owe you big time for this one.'' She looked at me and bit her lower lip. My stomach did a little somersault at her gaze. I smiled at her and looked at myself, not sure what to expect. I was wearing a white shirt that was half unbuttoned and a pair of black slacks and flip flops. It looks like he was playing matchmaker. I owed him too. He had made me look like the cover of a cheesy romance novel. She cleared her throat and I looked over at the beautiful blonde. “So Steven, How are you doing in your new life?” She asked sweetly and I had to gulp before my mind would clear. I shrugged and smiled.

“The town is beautiful and the world is nice. I just wish Travis would tone down the fighting. I’m a freaking farmer not a fighter.” She smiled at me and shook her head slightly.

“Good. How do you feel about everything though?” I smiled

“I feel okay. Lu-Shi is doing well and I have my own place now.” She sighed and reached over to touch my hand. A slight thrill ran up my spine at the touch. I looked into her eyes, my mind going blank for a short while.

“I saw you and the rabbit.” I gave an embarrassed smile at her words.

“Yeah not a fighter.” I said rubbing my neck with my free hand. I didn’t want to move the one she was holding. She frowned at me and sighed.

“No after the rabbit died. How are you holding up?” It sunk in and I looked at the table, my mind going back to that moment.

“That wasn’t fun.” I was back there for a moment remembering the thoughts and feelings. “I just wondered if my own neck made that noise.” I moved my hand to my throat and rubbed ith without realizing that I was doing so. “For a moment I was back in the bed...” I trailed off and just looked at the plate not really seeing it. I felt her hand squeeze mine and her thumb rub the top. I looked up into her worried eyes and blinked several times.

“You are not there now. You are here with me.” She said taking a sip of her coffee. My eyes locked on those bright red lips and I nodded slowly. I tried and only managed a halfhearted smile.

“I’ll be okay. It will be okay. I’m fine.” She gave me a slight smile, but her eyes still looked worried. She licked her lips a little, took a breath and said. It made a slight thrill run up my spine as I wondered what her lips would feel like on mine.

“If you ever need to talk, I’m here.” She said before looking away.

“How? Not being mean or rude, but how?” I asked, feeling a little exasperated. She gave an honest smile

“Travis is hooking in the system that will let you reach out to us if you need to.” I actually laughed at that. Freaking finally. I messed getting caught up with everyone and there was the Nigerian prince who really needed to tell me about my car's extended warranty.

“About freaking time.” She laughed with me and took another sip of her coffee. We talked for a long while and enjoyed the food. A screen popped up in front of us, spoiling the mood.

SORRY GUYS, YOU ONLY HAVE ABOUT A MINUTE LEFT.

 

Emma sighed and smiled. as we both stood. She held out her arms. “I need a hug.” She said with a smile and a blush. I reached out holding her tightly. I missed hugs and her perfume was making my head spin a little. She was warm and I felt something wet on my neck as she kissed it softly. I got my movie kiss finally. I inwardly cheared. I looked down to see her blushing and batting her eyelashes as everything went black.

Waking in my bed with my own smile, my mind went back to that date. Was it a date? I shook my head. No she is a real woman in the real world. Out there you are just an oversized hot water bottle. That was nice and unexpected though. WIth a sigh, the familiar message was flashing, drawing my attention, and I opened it with a sigh.

DAILY QUEST PEST CONTROL LEVEL 3

PESTS HAVE INVADED YOUR FARM. FAILURE TO STOP THEM WILL RESULT IN A 10% LOSS IN CROP PRODUCTION. AS YOU HAVE MORE CROPS, AND MORE VALUABLE CROPS, STRONGER MONSTERS HAVE APPEARED.

REMAINING PESTS:

CRAB GRASS x5

WILD HAIR x3

SICKLY ELK x1

SYSTEM UPDATE. YOU CAN NOW SEND DOVES TO EMAILS AND THE HERO SHOP IS OPEN. SAY SHOP TO OPEN IT. THIS WILL LET YOU BUY ITEMS FROM THE REAL WORLD. ITEMS CAN NOT BE SOLD, BUT CAN BE USED OR GIVEN TO NPCs.

 

Well Kara will be happy about the pests. Good thing she was coming here. I tried the shop and the window that popped up looked like a normal web page, the prices were a bit different as it was listed in copper, silver and gold. Wow, a single beer was three silver. I also noticed something called a clean scroll. Just crack it like a stick over what you want cleaned and it will have any dirt, blood or any other common status effects that are covering you or an item removed. It does not work on curses or hexes. At three copper I quickly bought two. I cracked one over myself. A funny static tingle ran over my body and I sniffed. It smelled like I was fresh from the shower and my clothes were clean too. What would it be like if we had these in the real world? I know some of the coders would keep a stack of them around if the ads were anything to go by.

  I went to see Lu-Shi. She was still sleeping with a cute smile on her face. I cracked the scroll over her and she sighed in her sleep, rolling over. Stepping outside, I looked at my field. The rabbits were on the edge and the crab grass were mostly on their own. A slight fog made the crops hard to see them. It was peaceful and I just sat down and watched the world go by. Just before the sun came up, I saw Kara on the edge of the woods. She raised her hand and the kittens froze beside her. She crouched and faded from view. It was creepy the way she did that, but this was a game and I bet some rogues will be able to do the same. The elk that had been eating grass looked around. She jumped onto its back and stabbed it until it fell. The poor creature barely made it a few feet. I felt bad for the elk, but she and this town needed to eat. She turned to the rabbits and took them out quickly. She waved over the girls and they ran yawning and rubbing their eyes. She led them up to my door and refused to look up at me. “Morning Kara, Meta, Leta. Did you girls sleep well.” Kara nodded and the twins spoke at the same time as some twins do just to be creepy.

“We did. Is Lu-Shi awake?” I smiled and ruffled their hair.

“She isn’t yet. Why don’t you two go join her if you want more sleep?” Meta or was that Leta yawned and both went inside. “Thank you kindly for taking care of those animals.” I said turning to the beautiful cat woman. She looked up and frowned.

“You okay?” She asked blinking those big green eyes at me.

“About you killing them? Yeah it doesn’t bother me.” I said frowning at my field.

“Rabbit last… time?” She asked and I could hear the worry in her voice. I smiled at her and shook my head slowly. Why was everyone worried about my freak out?

“Last time was a one time deal.” I hope at least. I added the last part in my head, hoping she wouldn’t be able to read my mind. I knew she couldn’t as I have had a few naughty thoughts when I hoped no one was looking.

“How much... to hunt… what I did?” She asked lowering her head and hiding her face.

“How many times do I have to tell you? Your kill, your coin. If anything, you are helping me.” I said in outrage. she nodded, not wanting to look up at me. Maybe I had scared her with my anger.

“See you… sunset.” She turned and ran away. I called out to her hoping to smooth things over.

“Stay safe. See you this evening.” I went in to see the three girls sleeping in the bed holding each other. Cute as hell. Going back out I began to take the crabs apart. It netted me another sixteen meat and much to my delight I got four silver for the pest quest. It looks like a higher level quest means more coins. I took care of my crops and went back to the porch. Yeah, I get more money and Xp. It was a relaxing morning and I took my time cutting my grass. I nearly had the whole field cleared and ready. I wish it was as easy as slashing the grass with a sword like some silent elf we all know and love, but this game didn’t work like that. 

The girls slept in until early morning. I fed them and took all three into town so I could get some seed and let them play with Heinz. He was cleaning the stoop of Lusinda’s shop when he stopped to wave at us. I stood proudly and called out. “You can not pass me until you answer these questions three.” He stood tall and smiled. “Did you sleep well?” he nodded, his long white mane flying. “Did you have a good breakfast?”

“I did.” he said with pride.

“Do you want to go pick flowers with the four of us later?” He smiled and picked up the twins letting each ride on a shoulder. “I’ll take that as a yes.” I said patting his arm and lifting Lu-Shi to my own shoulders. He just nodded and followed us to the shop. I got a few more wheat seeds and one cotton seed. I’d plant those once we got back to the farm after flower time. Heinz took us to a new field and about three hours passed in the blink of an eye. The girls mostly picked pretty flowers and Heinz and I picked useful herbs.

“Lusinda will be pleased with our haul today.” He said stretching his huge back. His two lower arms rubbed his back while he flexed his upper ones. I nodded and patted his huge hand. “I must go back to finish cleaning. Tonight she is fixing me a special meal.” He said as he licked his lips. We all headed to the tavern for a quick meal, sold off the junk and then back home. I had been worried that the three of them might be too much for me, but it was nice. My little Lu-Shi made sure the twins stayed in line and that we all held hands when walking on the roads. Once back at the farm, the girls played in the grass as I planted the seeds. The rest of my day was spent playing with the girls and relaxing. When the sun started to set I took them to the tavern for supper. It was a nice relaxing day. Kara came in looking around, saw us and smiled. She looked like she had a good day. Once our evening routine was done, I took Lu-Shi home. The moment I laid in bed a dove came in through the roof and popped into a screen.

My dearest friend, I hope this message finds you well. We in the real world have been fighting the bugs in the trenches. The battle has been hard and the spirits of the bugs have been tenacious as the moment we take out one three others rise to take its place. How is the weather on the home front? I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that I long for our nights of watching Godzilla. I have failed you and yet to partake in Gamera, but I should have time tonight. I will await your reply,

Your dearest friend Travis.

I laughed hard at his message. Gods, I missed those guys. It was amazing seeing Emma today, but I was missing the two of them. I pulled up my own screen and sent one to him, before drafting one to Emma.

My dearest friend, Travis. Life on the farm suits me well. The crops came in yesterday and I’ve already planted the next batch. The weather here is mild and pleasant. My little Lu-Shi is in good health and has made friends. I can’t keep this going. You win this round. I love the new shop and the cleaning scrolls are a game changer. I was smelling a bit ripe. Thank you for the date with Emma. She looked like she needed that. You guys are still freaking wizards. Try to remember to have fun. Hope to see you guys soon. Maybe by then I can get you a bunny as a pet.

Your RL BFF, Steven

Hey Emma,

I enjoyed our date today. I know I should wait two days, but rules are for squares. You looked amazing by the way. How are your fur babies? You seemed a bit stressed, Is everything okay? You should see the farm and soon I will have cute bunnies who hopefully won’t try to kill me. Remember to relax and feel free to reach out,

Steven

Writing that letter took a few tries and still felt off. The first time I almost signed it love Steven, but quickly deleted it. I closed my eyes after watching that dove fly through the walls and off into the void. A plan formed in my mind as to something crazy and sweet. It would take time and coin. Both I hoped I’d have soon.

{ZeroGiven40}

Do you have friends like this? If one of your fiends sent you an old-time message like this, would it make you laugh or want to slap them? Do you think Steven will end up with Kara or Emma? Those who have read the old version, please no spoilers.

8