Prologue (His Past) – 14. I Agree
2k 4 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week had passed. The Peace Alliance Meeting is over, all guests have returned and the Golden Light Castle's condition which was busy with guests for last few days, has returned to normal.

King Gervis sat on his desk in his study room with a grim expression, his fingers pressed against his temples. He just finished led today's court. The nobles and ministers asked him to immediately bring Angel to the court for their approval to make him the crown prince. Which means Angel just one step away to become the next King of Asteria. Although his identity is still full of pros and cons. But all this time he had done his duty well and always kept himself a low profile,so the nobles' trust on him increased.
"I have to do something, before it's too late."

A knocking sound accompanied by the sound of the door being opened came. Ilex entered the room and bowed.
"Father, did you call me?"

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex.
"Yes, I want to discuss about this morning's court."

Ilex fell silent as he recalled this morning's court. He could remember how the nobles urged his father to bring Angel for the final approval as the crown prince. Although his father had reasoned that Angel was sick, they instead asked for his whereabouts and wanted to visit him.
"If we don't take care of that illegitimate child right away. Sooner or later the kingdom of Asteria's throne will fall into his hands."
"I'll take care of him," said Ilex.

King Gervis sighed tiredly.
"I know you're angry but we can't act rashly now."

"Father, this is the best time to finish him. Right now he is seriously injured and cannot fight well. We can take him to a remote area and kill him."

King Gervis paused after hearing Ilex's words.
"He's right. Now is the best time to kill him, but if a prince disappears without any cause everyone will question it." He glanced at his desk and accidentally saw the southern border Asteria's map. An evil smile spreaded on his face when an idea crossed his head. He took the map and looked at it.
"Ilex, I will prepare my trusted elite troops and send you on a mission."

Ilex frowned in confusion. How could his father give him a mission at important times like this.
"Mission?"

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex, the grim expression on his face was gone .
"Yes. I am assign you to executing a dangerous rebel on the southern border of Asteria."

"Rebel? Why I never heard any news about that?" Ilex asked.

"The rebel name is Angelus Raizel Reinheart, the second prince of Asteria," replied King Gervis.

An evil smile also developed on Ilex's face then he immediately gave him a slight nod.
"I understand."

King Gervis took the King's Sword from his desk and gave it to Ilex.
"Take this."

Ilex took the sword carefully from King Gervis's hand and looked at it in amazement. This is the first time he is holding the King's Sword.
"This..."

"To defeat a swordman, you must break his sword. Loyalty cannot be broken without King's Sword," King Gervis added.

Ilex returned his gaze to King Gervis.
"I won't disappoint you, father."

*

*

*

Angel lay weak on his bed, he suffered a lot of blood loss and his wound made him unable to move. Even a week has passed, he still can't move around much. Doctor said it took a month for him to recover, during that time he had to rest and shouldn't move around too much.

With his severe conditions, King Gervis decided to freed him for a while and let Ilex to take over his duties. During his recovery, King Gervis also forbade anyone to see him except the doctor.

Suddenly, a knocking sound accompanied by door opening sound could be heard.
"Angel, how are you feeling?" King Gervis said as he approached him.

He struggled, tried to get up from his bed.
"Uncle, what brings you here?"

King Gervis pushed him back slowly.
"Keep lying down. Are you feeling better?" he said while sitting beside the bed.

"I'm feel better. Thank you for your attention." he answered with a weak voice.

King Gervis observed his condition a moment before he started to speak again.
"I don't know how to say it. I know you haven't recovered yet but I have no other choice... Right now, our South border area is in trouble, Ilex insists to take care of this problem. But as you know Southern border is the most dangerous area in Asteria, aside from difficult terrain, monsters and bandits still roaming there, we also don't have diplomatic relations with Kingdom of Euphorion, if something happens to him in their territory it will be very difficult to ask for help. I hope you willing to accompany him on this expedition. "

He fell silent, after what happened last week he didn't feel like meeting with Ilex, at least until his wound healed. Moreover, with his current situation he won't be able to carry out this mission properly.
"It's not that I don't want to. But with my current condition, I even won't be able to save myself. I will become a burden ."

"I know, but you are the only person that familiar with South area. Besides, right now a rebellion still occurring at Kingdom of Zephyrus. I have to assign another military leader to protecting our Western border and prevent the rebellion spread to our territory. "

"Uncle... you know my relationship with Ilex is bad. I don't think this is a good idea." he said as he tried to refuse King Gervis's request politely.

But, King Gervis insisted. 
"I know Ilex has gone too far, I hope you can forgive him. I already explained to him, you only act as a guide. Besides, I have also assigned a platoon of elite troops to join you."

He fell silent again, tried to find another reason to refuse his uncle's request,but he couldn't.

"I hope you can take care of this problem with Ilex." King Gervis added.

He gave a sigh of surrender.
"Alright... I agree." he answered doubtfully.

"That's the answer I want to hear. Now rest early, you will leave tomorrow morning." King Gervis said as he tapped on his shoulder. 

41