Prologue (His Past) – 15. Betrayal
2.1k 3 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Angel and Ilex were already in the study room before the sun fully rise, in front of them, King Gervis was sitting at his desk while opening a map.
"Come closer," he ordered.

They approached him.

King Gervis showed them the map and pointed to an X mark. 

Map

"This is where your destination is, your mission is to find the rebel's hideout. This place is very dangerous, so you have to handle this mission carefully. Even though I already assigned a platoon of elite troops to come along, but you can't be careless. After you complete your mission, get out of there immediately and go back to the South Point Town, do you understand? "

"We understand." they answered together.

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex.
"Ilex, you are the leader of this expedition. You must be able to carry out this mission well and show your quality as a leader."

"Yes, father. I won't disappoint you."

King Gervis turned his gaze to him.
"Angel, I'll leave this map to you, show them the way. I know you haven't recovered, but in this case I'm counting on you." he said as he rolled up the map and gave it to him.

"I understand." he replied shortly while taking the map from King Gervis's hand and placing it in his blazer pocket.

Ilex bowed.
"Father, we will leave now." then he left.

He also bowed and following Ilex.

They walked down the corridor to the castle's front yard. Suddenly his attention was focused on the sword on Ilex's belt, the handle was covered with a cloth and the shape was different from usual.

"What's wrong with your sword? Did you replace it?" he said out of blue.

Ilex quickly covered his sword with his hand.
"It has nothing to do with you!" he said in sarcastic tone then he fastened his pace.

Angel breathed in weary sigh while continued to run after him.
"It's weird, why he cover up his sword like that?"

Some bad thoughts crossed his mind, but he quickly threw them away.
"That's impossible... they won't do that far, besides I already gave up my right to be a king. There's no benefit for them for doing it." 

*

*

*

The expedition route is long and dangerous. Difficult terrain, monster attacks and bandits ambush keep delayed their journey. It took five days of travel and when they arrived, it was already dusk.

Angel swung the reins around his hand and pulled it to stopped his horse.
"According to the map, it's should be around here," he said as he looked around his surroundings.

Ilex stopped his horse beside him.
"Are you sure?"

He took the map from his blazer pocket and gave it to Ilex.
"You can check it yourself. Our destination is in Southern border area near the Death Forest." then he pointed to a forest that filled by dead trees with black soil and surrounded by evil atmosphere, not far from them.
"That is the Death Forest, if we pass through it, we will reach Kingdom of Euphorion's territory. This should be the place, but why there aren't any signs here?"

"Then we'll search it until we find it!" Ilex said as he raising his clenched fist and lowering it, ordering the troops to get off their horse.

Angel also followed his order and came down from his horse.
"I don't think this is a good idea, the sun almost set and this place is dangerous. If an ambush occurs, the situation can be very serious."

Ilex turned at him and gave him a sharp stare.
"As I remembered the leader of this expedition is Ilex Ferris, not Angelus Raizel. You do your job, I do mine. Understand?" he said sarcastically and left.

"Alright..." he said as he tailing Ilex from behind.

After some time, a member of troops approached them then bowed.
"Your Highness, we didn't find anything."

"Impossible, there should be somewhere around here. Isn't there anything else you found?" said Ilex in disbelief tone.

"Nothing, Your Highness. We only found Moonlight Sunrose field under a cliff near the forest." he answered.

"Moonlight Sunrose? With infertility soil and lack of sunlight around Death Forest, I don't think it's possible for that plants to grow here," said Angel doubtfully.

"Take me there!" Ilex ordered.

They arrived at the top of the cliff and could see white roses field below them.

Angel knelt down on one leg to observe the flower more clearly.
"This is not Moonlight Sunrose, but Whitedevil Rose. " He stood up and turned around facing Ilex. "We must leave immediately. This plant is very dangerous," he added. 

Ilex looked at Angel who stood before him while an evil smirk began to appear on his lips.
"There's no need, this is the place I'm looking for."

He frowned in confusion.
"You mean the rebel is hiding here?"

"No, the rebel is stand before me right now. But soon I will make this place his grave." Ilex raised his hand and waved forward, ordering the troops to advance, in an instant he was surrounded by dozens of elite troops.

He swept his gaze towards the troops who surrounds him before returned his gaze back to Ilex.
"What does all this mean?"

Ilex glared at him.
"The king's order! The second Prince of Asteria, Angelus Raizel Reinheart, tried to start a rebellion. His crime was very heavy and unforgivable. Therefore he must be executed immediately!"

His eyes widened in surprised as what he thought earlier come true.
"Rebel? I don't even have an army. How can I rebel? Besides, didn't I made an oath before my father's grave to never take the throne? You were also there."

Ilex gave him a condescending stare.
"Maybe you don't want the throne, but they want you! Do you know after the hunting competition, the nobles and even other royal officials began to support you? You don't know how sick am I when I hear your name mentioned so many times in every meeting?"
"Angelus Raizel, as long as you are alive. They will never look at me. Therefore I must get rid of you first!"
"Attack him!"

Glossary 

Whitedevil Rose is carnivorous plant that eats humans or other animals, to be precisely sucks out its blood. This plant is very poisonous and has a shape similar to Moonlight Sunrose to lure its prey. When getting their prey, the color of the flowers will turn red by the blood of their victims.

43