Second Arc (His Art of War) – 8. The Truth
848 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ilex walked down the corridor to Ophelia's room, but when he was just about to approach the door. A knight bowed.

"Your Highness, the princess is sleeping. She said she did not want to be disturbed."

"Alright, " replied Ilex. He almost turned around and planned to return, but then he felt suspicious.
"It's still daytime, she usually doesn't sleep at this hour." Finally he asked again.
"Has Princess Ophelia left her room today?"

"she took a walk earlier, but she returned before she could greet His Majesty in the study, " the knight answered.

"Did she go to the study room?"

"Yes, she was just about to come in but she didn't. Maybe she saw that His Majesty was busy. "

"Could it be that she heard our conversation?" He began to worry. Ilex approached the door and tried to open it, but it was locked.
"Ophelia, open the door, " he said as he knocking the door.

No answer...

He knocked again.
"Ophelia!"

"Your Highness, the princess is sleeping."

Even though her knight said that, but he was still worried. If she hears his conversation with King Gervis in the study room, he is afraid she will act recklessly. Ilex knocked the door harder while trying to open it.
"Ophelia! Open the door!"

Suddenly a pale-faced guard came in hurry to him and bowed.
"Your Majesty, we found a rope coming out of Princess Ophelia room's window."

Ilex's eyes widened in surprise.
"Tell my father about this!" he ordered. He averted his gaze to the two knights who standing guard in front of the room and pointed his index finger to them alternately.
"You and you. Tell the others to search for Princess Ophelia around the castle and close the gate!"
Then he turned his gaze to the other guard.
"The others tell the City guards to the check clearly for everyone who goes in and out."

They quickly bowed and carried out his orders.

"Ophelia ... What are you doing in times of emergency like this ..." Ilex thought.

*

*

*

Meanwhile, Angel and Ophelia ran to a street, then turned into a busy market. They blended in with the surrounding while walking slowly avoiding the attention of others and immediately turned into the nearest alley. They ran again and crossed the street before hiding in another alley. When they were safe, Angel released his hand from Ophelia.
"Why do I feel her hand are smaller than usual?" he thought as he staring at her hand.

She was breathing heavily, this is the first time she had a long run like this. Seeing her off guard, Angel immediately seized his sword and sheathed it. She could only stare at him irritably.
"You are really rude, " she complained .

"Is taking someone else's property is not rude?" said Angel without looking at Ophelia.

She did not answer. She knew her actions were rude, but she really wanted to run away from here.

Seeing Ophelia speechless, he asked again.
"You are a princess, you have a good life. Why do you want to run away?"

"Princess..." she murmured, then she chuckled. "It all sounds beautiful to a commoner like you. High status, living in a luxurious castle, guards and servants who serve you twenty-four hours. But do you know behind all that? We must keep our image, responsible to the kingdom. We can't show our emotions, don't have freedom. We can't choose ... Even for our own husband. "

"You are still young. Why does the king want to set you up?" He asked in confusion. He knew that King Gervis loved Ophelia so much even more than Ilex, since she resembled his late wife. It strange if he let her married this fast.

"For the victory ... For the glory of Asteria. He will do everything... including setting me up with another royal family, " she answered sadly.

"Is King Gervis planning to use her to form an alliance through marriage to win the war?"
"Who does the king want to set you up with?" he asked again.

"Prince Artheur of Draconis."

Angel paused as he trying to guess what King Gervis's plans was.
"Draconis... It's seems he wants to attack Euphorion from both sides."

Ophelia realized she was saying it spontaneously without thinking twice.
"Forget what I said before. A commoner like you doesn't need to think about it, " she added.

He turned his gaze to Ophelia.
"Miss, thank you for telling me what I never knew, " he said. What she said was very important information for him.
"But I want to advise you, the King and Prince Ilex are your family and they love you. You should return to the castle," he added.

"I know they love me ..."

"You should return then."

Ophelia shook her head.
"I don't want to marry someone I don't love."

Angel breathed heavy sigh.
"Does that mean the rumor about you falling in love with the late second Prince of Asteria is true?" he guessed.

"You right... I do love him ..." she eyes filled with tears as she remembered him.

"Miss, he is your cousin. You shouldn't fall in love with him, " he said again.

"If I say he's not my cousin, do you believe it?"

"I've also heard that rumor. But how can you be sure he's not a royal family just because his hair color has changed?"

"No... when he was found with the late king, my father ordered an expert magic user to examine him since he did not wake up for days. And he said that the child that they found had strange power in him. The power was never possessed by my cousin, " she answered.

Angel was speechless, for years he thought they treated him differently because of his hair color but in fact they already knew the strange power inside him even before he realized it.
"King Gervis and Ilex knew about the strange power in me all this time. But why they didn't said anything? Why they never told me about it?"
"What if he really is your cousin?"

"It can't be... Didn't you already know. The Reinheart family is a descendant from the Celestial Tribe. The power within him is the power of darkness. That alone is enough to make sure he is not my cousin."

Angel lowered his head. What she said was true... A Reinheart could not possibly have a dark power like him. The crystal changed his life and fate, just like Prince Lucian told him. He clenched his fists tried to hold the pain in his heart.
"Because of this power... all of you think I was someone else. "
"Then you shouldn't love someone like him. He's a traitor, " he said coldly.

Upon hearing his words, Ophelia threw her slap, but he caught her hand.
"You! You don't know anything about him! You don't know how he risked his life to protect Asteria!" she screamed angrily.

He released his hand.
"Miss, he is dead. The second Prince of Asteria is dead. He is a traitor who deserves to die, " he said firmly. Even though he never betrayed Asteria five years ago, but he will attack Asteria soon that will be make him a real traitor. Besides with the dark power within him, he doesn't deserve to live as a Reinheart anymore.

Ophelia looked at him angrily.
"He's not a traitor! You don't know the truth—"
But before she finished her sentence, she pressed her lips. She could not told him that her father and brother who had slandered and killed the second Prince of Asteria. Finally she looked down sadly.
"Angel... Even after your death, everyone regards you as a traitor."

22