Second Arc (His Art of War) – 5. King Gervis’ Plan
864 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, at Golden Light Castle's study room, Asteria. King Gervis walked back and forth in the middle of the room with anxious face while thinking hard. He had just gotten the news from the Southern Outpost that General Helias and his troops had vanished. Also an intruder managed to destroy all of his poisons and disrupt the Outpost last night. According to witnesses, the intruder was General Gale of Euphorion.

"How could be fifty thousand troops have vanished without a trace? And that Euphorion's General, how could he possibly infiltrate and face the outpost guards without being caught?"

Soon, a knocking sound and the door opening sound came. Ilex entered the room and bowed.

King Gervis immediately approached him.
"I have bad news, General Helias and our troops disappeared when they attacked Euphorion's border. Also, an intruder managed to destroy our poison, " he said without further ado.

Ilex surprised when he heard his father's words.
"How is this possible ?! Even though we didn't send all of our troops, but compared to their border guarding troops. We should be far outnumber them."

King Gervis breathed a heavy sigh, if he knew why he might be not be this panic. With the poison from Zephyrus, a sudden attack plan and a far greater number of troops. Even though Euphorion's military power was strong at least they did not lose all their forces in one attack like this.
"I don't understand either. I have ordered General Collett to prepare our other troops and went there as soon as possible. Right now, our priority is to prepare of their counterattack." then he turned his gaze to Ilex.
"But I'm still worried... if only with the border troops, Euphorion managed to defeat General Helias's entire army. It's mean that their military strength is extraordinary. We must think of other ways to attack them."

Ilex clenched his fists in anger, his mind trying to find another way out.
"Angelus Raizel... He really has prepared everything well."
"What if we attack him through another route?"

King Gervis shook his head.
"It's too risky. If they can defeat General Helias's army only with their border guard. With our current troops, we can only defend our Southern border and keep Eternal Harmony City safe. If we divide too many, it's the same as sending them to their death. "

They both fell silent when they thought hard.

"The only way out that occurred to me is to marry Ophelia to the prince of Draconis. Right now, all of Euphorion's troops are concentrating on attacking Asteria. Their southern border guard will be weakened. If Draconis can attack them from there, then victory will be in our hands. "
"I am thinking of marrying Ophelia to the prince Artheur of Draconis. That way we can work together to attack them from the North and South. Only in this way can we defeat Euphorion," King Gervis added.

But Ilex immediately refused.
"Father, Ophelia doesn't know anything about this war. She shouldn't be involved."

"As the princess of Asteria, she has the responsibility to protect this kingdom, " said King Gervis as he staring sharply at Ilex.

"But we can find another way, " Ilex added swiftly.

"Then do you have any other ideas?"

Ilex back deep in thought as he try to find another way. Under these conditions, he could not act recklessly. His actions not only affected his family fate but also his people fate. Finally, he lowered and shook his head when he didn't find another way. He must admit that attacking from two sides of the border is the most effective way.

"Then I will send a letter to King of Draconis. You try to discuss this with Ophelia," King Gervis said.

"Yes, father, " Ilex answered while keep his head down. He never thought, he had to sacrifice Ophelia's happiness just to win this war.

*

*

*

Ophelia sat down in front of the dressing table. She stared at her reflection in the antique mirror while a maid brushed her hair gently. Although Angel's death still made her sad but she felt a little relieved after her meeting with King of Euphorion was canceled. At least it proves that her family is still thinking about her feelings.

The maid checked on Ophelia's hair once more, making sure she was neat before putting the comb in her hand on the table. She has been Ophelia's personal maid for many years. She could remember how Ophelia had been so exited to get ready every morning only to see Prince Angelus at the main hall every morning, after that she would have a breakfast with Prince Ilex at dining hall. But since five years ago, Ophelia seemed was no will for life. All she did was cry or lock herself in her room.

"Your Highness, today's weather is nice. How about we take a walk?" said the maid as she looking at Ophelia's reflection at the mirror.

Ophelia answered her with a nod. Usually she refused it, but today she was in a good mood so she decided to take a walk.

She got up from her chair assisted by her maid, then she left her room. Her two knights that waiting in front of her room quickly followed her. She walked aimlessly, just following where her feet took her. Pass through the garden in the middle of the castle, the corridor, the main hall to the front of the study room.

She saw some of her father's personal guards standing outside the study room, it's mean her father was inside. Finally she decided to greet him, something she hadn't done for a long time.

Just when a guard wanted to report about her presence, Ophelia stopped him and opened the door of the room slowly, planning to surprise them. But she had just opened the door a little, she stiffened in surprise when she heard her father's words.

"I am thinking of marrying Ophelia to the prince Artheur of Draconis. That way we can work together to attack them from the North and South. Only in this way can we defeat Euphorion."

Ophelia closed the door as silently as possible, her heart pounding and her mood turned sour. She immediately walked back to the room.
"I thought Father canceled the meeting because of considering about my feelings. Turns out I was wrong ... Now, he wants me to marry Prince of Draconis to defeat Euphorion."

As soon as she arrived in front of her room she turned to the maid and her two knights who followed her.
"Leave me alone, I want to sleep. I don't want to be bothered by anyone." she said with a displeased expression, then she entered her room and locked it.

"Forgive me. Father ... brother ... But I don't want to be your political tool anymore ..."

22