Second Arc (His Art of War) – 31. Distrust 
800 5 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several hours had passed since Angel left the meeting room, King Gervis and the nobles were still discussing in the room. It wasn't easy for King Gervis to tell them everything, answering all the questions, holding back the nobles' disappointed gaze at him. Some of them understood his difficulty but many of them were disappointed why he didn't discuss this important matter beforehand, especially regarding the war decision and Angelus Raizel's execution five years ago. Although they could understand his fears about the authenticity of his nephew's identity at least he had to take Angel to court and give them a chance to judge him. By making his own decisions, King Gervis is considered to have no respect on them and now due to his decision, Asteria lost the war and they must submit under other Kingdom's authority.

The sun had begun to lean west, the sky color above Eternal Harmony City began to turn reddish, the sunlight penetrating the window in the meeting room began to fade. King Gervis sighed tiredly, his face looking pale. He hasn't rested since he woke up at dawn.
"I told you everything. Is there anything you want to ask?"

The others also looked tired, after being shocked by this morning attack, now they had to accept the fact that the attack was only a counterattack. Even though King Gervis did it because he was afraid that Angel would take revenge on Asteria, but there was no strong evidence to prove it. Because of that, Asteria was still considered an attacker while Euphorion was only considered defending themselves.
"No, Your Majesty," answered one of them.

"Very well, we will end this meeting," said King Gervis, closing the long meeting. He stood up followed by the others, then they bowed to him before they dispersed.

The meeting room's door opened. The nobles began to scatter out escorted by Euphorion's troops towards the exit. King Gervis had just come out of the room when a guard approached him and bowed.
"Your Majesty, His Majesty King Angelus calls you to the study room."

King Gervis's expression turned annoyed when he heard their words.

"Hmph! He just took over Asteria, but he dared messing in my study!"
But then he realized, the finance minister and Chancellor Vello were also standing along with several other guards near him.

"Did he also call them?"

"Take me there," King Gervis replied.

The guard gave a gesture to follow him, they walked down the corridor, while guessing what Angel's reason for calling them, but from the person he called, King Gervis can predict the reasons must have to do with finance and treasury. King Gervis's feet kept moving but his mind continued to sink into his thoughts. The worst scenario crossed his mind.

"Does he want to claim compensation for Pearl Gate City's destruction?"

His worries began to strike his heart as he expected for the worst. Asteria's financial condition is in turmoil and now they have just lost the war, if Angel demands compensation for Pearl Gate City then Asteria will plummet in economic crisis.

King Gervis glanced at Chancellor Vello and the finance minister, their worries also clearly visible on their faces. Although he managed to cover Asteria's financial problems from the others, but he did not cover it from them.

They arrived in front of the study room entrance and two guards opened the door for them. Once they entered the room, they immediately noticed the changes in the room. A neatly arranged table with four chairs was already set in the middle room. Several servants with small carts were seen waiting on one side of the room. Angel sat on one of the chairs while sipping a cup of tea, while his eyes were focused on a document in his other hand.

"Sit down," he said without turning his eyes to them.

They approached him, some servant swiftly pulled the chairs for them and they sat reluctantly there. King Gervis looked at him in annoyance, he not only messed with his study room but also changed it at his will.
"Angelus Raizel, did you forget Golden Light Castle's rules that you were not allowed to eat in the study room or library?" said King Gervis sarcastically.

He put down his cup and turned his gaze to them.
"I remember, but I'm not interested in obeying unnecessary rules in times of emergency like this. Besides the documents I need are here."

"What do you want?" King Gervis asked straight to the point as he didn't want to spend his energy anymore.

"We'll talk after you finished your dinner," he replied in a casual tone. Actually, he wanted to directly discuss Asteria's financial problems with them, but he knew they had not rested since morning. Discussing problems on an empty stomach will only worsen it.

He waved a small bell before him, some servants approached and placed some well-made dishes before them. Basil and clove bread with light vegetable soup, along with a roasted crown cow and oven-grilled crescent hog, also some fruits. Some servants poured drinking water into their glasses, then retreated back to their positions.

The fragrant aroma of food made their stomachs rumbled, but their hands didn't reach out to grab any of it. They just stared at Angel suspiciously.

He noticed their suspicious gaze and responded with an evil smirk.
"Don't worry, I didn't poison your food. I'm not that cunning."

"How do we know that?" said King Gervis suspiciously.

He held out the document in his hand to his side, which was taken by Frost. He took a piece from each dish and put it on his plate then gestured to King Gervis's assistant to approach him.

The assistant approached him with hesitant steps and a confused expression.
"Are you calling me, Your Majesty?"

He gave the plate to the assistant.
"Eat it."

The assistant looked shocked at his command, but he still took the plate doubtfully. Meanwhile, King Gervis's expression and the others turned displeased.
"Are you trying to threaten me with my assistant's life?!" said King Gervis in anger.

He gave them an evil smirk.
"Frost is an elemental spirit, human food has no effect on him. While I'm also immune to poison." He leaned over to King Gervis.
"And I must thank Ilex for this." Then he ended it with a slight evil laugh as he leaned his back on his chair.

They responded by looking at him in anger.

"Eat!" he ordered again to the assistant.

The assistant gasped in surprise, his face turning pale. But he still had to carry out his orders, currently, the highest authority held by Angel even King Gervis could not do anything to help him. He took the fork on the edge of the plate doubtfully and began to eat it. The whole room fell silent, their attention fixed on him. Only Angel who nonchalantly took his cup and sipped it.

After he had finished eating it, the assistant was preparing to face his death. But after waiting a few minutes and he felt fine, he heaved a sigh of relief.
"Your Majesty, it looks like these foods are not poisonous."

He returned his cup to the table and turned his gaze to them.
"Do you trust me now?"

King Gervis only snorted without giving him any answer, but he was certainly relieved that his assistant was still alive.

"Now stop wasting my time and eat," he added.

Although they were in doubt, their hands finally took some food, put it on their plates and started to eat without saying another word for the whole dinner.

18