Second Arc (His Art of War) – 35. The Burden That The King Must Bear
770 10 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The sky in Eternal Harmony City had turned dark. Angel came out of the study room alone. Several guards who waited outside the room swiftly followed him but he raised his hand ordering them to remain in their position. Right now, he doesn't want to be accompanied by anyone, he just wants to calm himself. Although his cold expression did not change, but the emotions inside him continued to overflow. His feelings were mixed until he did not know what he felt. It felt like there was an invisible knife stabbed in his heart and he could not do anything to get it out. His feet stepped down the corridor to the castle entrance.
"Prepare my horse," he ordered one of the guards.
"Yes, Your Majesty," answered the guard and he carried out his orders.
Shortly a horse was brought before him. He took the reins from the guard's hand and climbed it.
"There is no need to tell anyone about this," he ordered.
Which was answered with a nod from the guards.
Angel turned his horse and spurred it. He passed through the castle gates and down the quiet Eternal Harmony City streets. His mind continued to wander with everything that happened fifteen years ago when everything changed, when the crystal came into his life and took everything from him.
"At that age, I killed an expert magic user?"
He thought King Gervis was only afraid of him because of his dark power, but during his time as the prince of Asteria he had never used that power, he didn't even know he had it. What King Gervis feared should be groundless. But today he knows another reality. He now understood why his uncle would never admit him. Never thought of him as his nephew. The real reason why he decided to execute him five years ago. Because he is a big threat... not only for the Reinheart family but also for the kingdom of Asteria. If he was in the same position as his uncle, as the kingdom of Asteria's protector, maybe he would do the same.
He continued to spur on his horse, past the gatekeeper who immediately opened the gate and bowed when they saw him. He exited the Eternal Harmony City's North gate, passing through trees to a hill with a large stone gate protected by Asteria's special guards. It was a sacred place where the late Kings of Asteria were buried.
They stopped him, even though they knew that Asteria was now in his authority. But this is sacred land that they must protect.
"Forgive us, Your Majesty. Only the Reinheart family can enter this sacred land."
"Move!" he ordered. He did not have much patience now. 
But they answered him by drawing their sword.
"Forgive us, Your Majesty. But we cannot allow you to pass."
Angel's eyes turned piercing cold, his dark aura spread to the surroundings. They trembled in fear as if their instincts were saying there was danger before them.
"Move!" he ordered again in an intimidating voice.
Slowly, they stepped aside to give him a way while lowering their heads in fear. He kicked the horse once again and moved forward.
A few minutes later, the view of the trees before him changed into large stone tombs. The tombs look magnificent, describing who is resting in it. He pulled the reins around his hand to stop his horse and get down. 
The night wind that was blowing hard ruffled his hair. His feet hesitantly moved and approached a tomb that looked newer than the others. He knew he didn't deserve to be here. This is where the Asterian kings rested, the tomb of Asteria's protectors, traitors like him will only pollute the land. But he could not contain his emotions anymore and as a king, he must not show his weaknesses, can't say his complaint. He must bear everything no matter how hurt it is.
His feet stopped moving, his eyes gazed at the gravestone before him and wiped the writing that engraved on it.
Rest in Peace.
6th King of Asteria.
Renart Ives Reinheart
He took out his broken Loyalty which is covered by cloth from his blazer pocket and opened it. The sword glow that he had used to defend Asteria was gone, his dried blood was still attached to the sword. He placed his Loyalty in front of his father's grave and knelt down. He paused for a moment as he stared at his father's gravestone. His eyes looked as if they were storing sadness that couldn't be expressed in words. No words can come out of his mouth. Guilt, sadness and anger mixed in his heart.
After an hour, Angel knelt silently accompanied by the dark sky that was covered in thick clouds and the wind that blew between the tombs, he finally opened his mouth.
"Father, I came to visit you ..."
He fell silent again, bowing his head in shame. He was sure if his father was still alive maybe his father would not want to see him again, but somehow he really needed someone to talk to. Just to release the pressure in his chest, only to show his weakness even if only for a moment, therefore he decided to come here.
But for some reason after he was in front of his father's grave, his courage disappeared, His lips were closed like glued. He could face any dreaded monsters, face thousands of soldiers alone, face the nobles' resistance in the court, but at this moment he felt like a seven-year-old boy who had made a mistake. Such a big mistake that he was so embarrassed to face his father even to ask for forgiveness. After a while, he gathered his courage and raised his head.
"Father, forgive me. I once promised to bring you flowers if I visit you again, but now ... I bring your
Loyalty that has been broken."
He remembered when last time he was taken here to swear never to take the throne, he promised to bring him flowers.
"Father, I have become king... but I am not a king in my own homeland. I am a king in a foreign kingdom. I have sworn to faithfully carry out my duties... I have attacked Asteria, conquered it, taken its territory under my authority ... I have broken my promise to replace you protecting Asteria. I have disappointed you... "he said in regret.
He paused again and gritted his teeth as he held back his emotions. It feels so painful after he knew everything, but there was nothing he could do to change it. What he can do now is move forward and carry out his duties as a King of Euphorion.
The thunderous roar of lightning was heard accompanied by rain and strong winds. Angel closed his eyes and raised his head, letting the rain run down his face. Let the rain replace his tears that have dried. Letting the sound of lightning to replace his screams that could not come out of his mouth.
"They are right. I am a traitor ... I will never deserve to be the King of Asteria ... I don't deserve to replace you ..."
19