Second Arc (His Art of War) – 40. Negotiations
701 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Meanwhile, Eternal Harmony City's South gate is closed. Flare stood on the wall facing the outside, next to her the archers and magic users were lined up neatly preparing their weapons. In front of them, Commander Irwin and his troops were also preparing to attack them.
"We meet again, Commander," said Flare casually, looking at him with a look of disdain. An evil smirk adorned her face.
Commander Irwin looked at her furiously, after being stuck for days in Southpoint Town and forced to leave half of his army to help residents repair the city gates. Now he returned only to find out that the capital had been successfully captured by the enemy.
"How dare you!" he shouted angrily. His emotions immediately ignited after seeing Flare.
"King Gervis has signed a surrender statement and Asteria is under Euphorion's rule. Drop your weapons! I will open the gate."
Hearing her words, Commander Irwin's eyes blazed in anger even more, his hands clenched in fury. If she was in front of him right now, he would not hesitate to attack her. She was playing with him like a fool.
"What if I refuse?! Do you want to use hostages again?!"
Flare laughed sarcastically.
"I don't need a hostage this time," she answered in a casual tone.
"Then this will be easy!" shouted Commander Irwin, raising his two fingers. The Asteria archers aimed their arrows at them. Even though he was not sure he would win and his army was not as much as Euphorion's army in the capital, he would not surrender without a fight.
Commander Irwin was just about to order to shoot. Flare suddenly gave her order.
"Barrier!"
Euphorion's magic users came out of their hiding place, surrounded Commander Irwin's army and cast 'magic barrier' to confine them. He swept his gaze around him with anger and confusion, it never occurred to him to use the 'magic barrier' to confine enemies, since the 'magic barrier' was usually only used to protect themselves from enemy attacks.
Flare smirked when she saw Commander Irwin's confusion.
"Just give up," she said again.
"Sooner or later their magic power will run out," he thought.
"In your dream! " he replied.
"Then look under your feet," she said again. Seeing Commander Irwin's stubbornness in Southpoint Town, she had guessed that negotiating with him would not be easy, but she had prepared an offer he could not refuse.
Commander Irwin turned to the ground and frowned in confusion because he found nothing. After he swept his gaze for a while, he noticed a sheet buried in the ground beneath him. He descended from his horse and swept the ground covering the sheet. His eyes widened when he realized it was not a sheet of paper but a parchment of high explosion magic formation that was ready to be blown up. He turned his head from side to side among the Euphorion's magic user and caught some high magic users controlling it nearby. 
"You know what happens to your army if I blow it up. Drop your weapon now!" she ordered.
Commander Irwin stood up while trying to contain his anger. If the formation exploded while they were confined to like this then his troops would surely perish without being able to make any resistance.
"I have no choice but to obey her orders. As soon as she opens the barrier I will take my weapon and retreat to set the strategy." To be honest, he was surprised to learn that the capital had fallen into enemy's hands since when he was spying before, the city looked fine, even the Asterian troops were still on guard. But who knows, once they approached it turns out that the Asterian troops who were on guard did not hold weapons, you could say they were merely displays. 
He sighed in exasperation then he dropped his weapon unwillingly, which was followed by his troops.
"Open the barrier!" Flare commanded.

Commander Irwin prepares to snatch his weapon once the barrier disappears. But once the magic user removes their barrier he realizes another thing, they only removed a small amount of barrier and the gap only can be passed by one person. 
Commander Irwin could only be silent while gritting his teeth in annoyance when all his plans fell apart, he even could not fight at all.
Flare noticed Commander Irwin's annoyed face and smiled in satisfaction.
"Put your hands behind your head and come out one by one," she ordered again.
 
16