Second Arc (His Art of War) – 49. Zephyrus and Draconis
612 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Second Arc (His Art of War) - 49. Zephyrus and Draconis 
Meanwhile, at Scarlet Stone Castle, Zephyrus.
King Eudon sat at his desk in his study room with a gloomy face. He just got word about Asteria's downfall. He really didn't expect that in less than a month Asteria could lose the war even with his poison. 
Although there is no written agreement between Asteria and Zephyrus only by the poison itself Euphorion can prove the Heart Family’s involvement. Panic struck his mind if Asteria could be conquered that fast, let alone his kingdom which was almost always hit by rebels every year. 
Currently, he had no choice but to seek an alliance. But since Asteria had fallen, the peace alliance had also dispersed. So the only way he has now was to marry Rose to one of the other royal families. Besides, if Zephyrus had to surrender before Euphorion at least he could evacuate Rose to another kingdom.
His mind continued to sink into his thoughts, he wanted to marry Rose to the prince of Pontus since the Kingdom of Pontus' location was the farthest from Euphorion. But the prince of Pontus was a famous casanova, he could not have allowed his only nephew to fall into a man like that. Because of that he finally thought about marrying her with Prince Artheur of Draconis. Rose had met him in Asteria five years ago. Also, he and King of Draconis had also been good friends for a long time. At least he could be at ease if Rose was with them. The Kingdom of Draconis itself was very peaceful, revolts were very rarely occurred there, very different from Zephyrus's chaotic circumstances.
'That way maybe Rose will live her life peacefully like a true princess. She no longer needs to carry a weapon and take care of the rebels. '
A knock accompanied by the sound of a door opening was heard. Rose entered and bowed to him.
"Uncle, did you call me?" Again, she wears a military blazer instead of a dress.
King Eudon did not say anything after seeing how she was dressed. He knew, there was no point in reprimanding her for how to dress.
"Rose, you're already twenty-one years old. I think it's time for you to get married," he opened their conversation.
Rose frowned and gave an objection.
"I think it's too soon for this. After all, Zephyrus had just recovered from the last uprising. Isn't we better waiting for a few more years?"
"No. This is the right time for your marriage. Have you heard the news of Asteria's downfall?"
"I have heard of it."
King Eudon sighed, his worries clearly visible on his face.
"Zephyrus is unstable at the moment, there is a possibility that Euphorion will also attack us."
Rose frowned in confusion.
"But we never have a problem with Euphorion. It doesn't make sense if they suddenly attack us."
King Eudon remembered his decision a month ago and now he regrets it. If he didn't give his family's poison to Ilex, maybe Zephyrus would not have to be involved in this war.
"We don't know how the new King of Euphorion thinks."
"I heard he was a hunter who came from the commoner. I think he must have understood the people's feelings better," Rose said. It seems that her uncle's worries are too excessive, although there's still no announcement about the cause of the wars between them, but according to rumours, it was because Asteria attacked Euphorion's trading city, Pearl Gate City. 
"Maybe he is from the commoner. But with his ability to seize the Kingdom of Euphorion's throne without any troops. He is a threat to all kingdoms. Now Asteria as the leader of the peace alliance has fallen. It will be easier for him to destroy other kingdoms," King Eudon reasoned.
"How about sending me to Euphorion to talk about it?" King Eudon's reason did have a point, but for Rose instead of making such baseless accusations wouldn't it be better if they talked about it first?
"No!" King Eudon's expression turned serious. "Don't think about that kind of thing. A princess goes to a kingdom that has just won a war. Don't they think we're licking their boots?"
'I can't possibly tell Rose that Euphorion might have suspect Zephyrus's involvement in their war against Asteria.' 
Rose was silent, his words were true but she also disagreed with her uncle who judged the new King of Euphorion bad intention without clear evidence.
"I'm thinking of arranging your marriage to Prince Artheur Rayner Fallensoar of Draconis. He is a kind and polite person. You've also met him five years ago. "
"Five years ago ..." she muttered. Again, her mind wandered to the cold faced man who was executed five years ago. Somehow, after years she still couldn't forget him.
Seeing Rose's sad expression, King Eudon was confused.
'If he likes Ilex why did she reject him when Ilex came here five years ago?'
"Rose, are you still thinking about prince Ilex?"
King Eudon's voice interrupted her thoughts.
"No. I thought that assessing Euphorion would definitely attack Zephyrus was a baseless assumption."
"The fact about Euphorion would attack us or not, it does not matter. But I don't want to wait for him to attack us. If we make an alliance now at least he will think twice about attacking us."
Her uncle's words were indeed reasonable, if Zephyrus faced rebellion and attacks from other kingdoms at the same time then this kingdom would definitely be destroyed.
"Is there no other way?"
King Eudon shook his head.
Rose looked down and clenched her fists. Although after helping King Eudon for several years she understood many of her uncle's difficulties. But she also does not want to marry someone who she barely knew of all sudden.
"At least give me a chance to get to know each other."
"Then how about the engagement? We can still cancel it if you feel unsuitable with Artheur," he suggested. Engagement is a strong bond and reason to perform an alliance, besides it will give Rose a space to adjust herself before marriage.
She was silent for a moment, she knew that this time she could not escape like five years ago.
"Fine," she answered reluctantly.
"Since you agreed, I will send a letter to Draconis asking for their approval."
*
*
*
A few hours later, the evening sun in the sky of Dragon Cross City, Draconis began to fade. King Esteve sat in his study at Blue Rock Castle. His second son, Prince Artheur, stood before him. Today he had heard about Asteria's downfall, remembering the reply he had sent to King Gervis he decided to get ready for his kingdom. Although the letter was not necessarily found by the King of Euphorion but he still wanted to make sure Draconis was ready for war if Euphorion attacked them.

He needed to admit, he made a mistake in writing the letter. Because he wrote his request for half of Euphorion's territory clearly there. He didn't think Asteria would fall that easily. In addition, Euphorion's territory is more fertile and more suitable for agriculture, tempting him to get a part of their territory.
With Draconis' location on the southern of the Andromeda Continent, the majority of their people rely on marine fisheries rather than trade or agriculture. But fisheries result is determined by the weather at the sea, it would be better if they could also get results from agriculture. At least if one day the sea's condition is no longer friendly, the people's food availability can still be guaranteed. That is the main reason he agreed to King Gervis's proposal.
"Father, I am willing to guarding our northern border. If I see strange movements in their territory I will send a word to the castle immediately," Artheur's voice broke the silence between them.
"Your presence will only give them evidence that we are panicking."
"So what's your plan?"
"We still have time. The King of Euphorion has just conquered Asteria, at least he needs time to return and prepare his troops to attack us. Moreover, the letter is not necessarily found by him." King Esteve got up from his chair and walked slowly toward Artheur. His hands were crossed behind his back, his forehead furrowed in thoughts.
"For the time being, I will discuss this matter in the court tomorrow morning and order the northern border army to tighten our guard. If the court agrees to increase our kingdom's status to be on alert, I hope you can help me prepare our troops."
"Yes, father."
- Tuk - Tuk - Tuk
A red cardinal bird was seen knocking on one of the windows. Artheur looked at it in confusion, since their kingdom's 'magic messenger' is the blue Sialia bird. Seeing his son's confused face King Esteve spoke again.
"Calm down the red cardinal is the
'magic messenger' of the kingdom of Zephyrus. Sometimes King Eudon exchanges informal messages with me this way."
"Ah! Alright." Artheur walked and opened the window.
The bird flew into the room, King Esteve extended his hand as a place where the bird could land. As soon as the bird landed on his hand, it turned into a red light then shattered into pieces, a message came into his head.
'Asteria has fallen. I propose the engagement between Rose and Artheur as the bond of our alliance. Eudon Crystoll Heart. '
'An alliance ... Looks like this is the best idea at the moment.' thought King Esteve. He turned his gaze to Artheur.
"Artheur, you once told me that you met Princess Rose of Zephyrus five years ago. What do you think of her?"
"Princess Rose ..." Artheur's face turned red.
"She's an attractive woman. Too bad I didn't have much to say to her then."
"King Eudon proposed your engagement with her. Do you agree?"
A smile developed on Artheur's face, he immediately looked down to cover it.
"I will leave that decision to you, father."
 
12