Second Arc (His Art of War) – 109. Chaotic Meeting I
372 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Second Arc (His Art of War) - 109. Chaotic Meeting I
The door opened, a large, luxurious room with a long table and chairs lined up insight, with some guards lined up on both sides. They held their steps as their eyes were fixed on a young king sitting at the end of that long table with their king, King Eudon sitting to his right. Although they maintained their composure, they were clearly chatting like longtime friends.
Their attention was focused on the younger king. From his black uniform and badge, they knew he was King Angelus of Euphorion. His cold face and sharp eyes were just like what people described him, but despite his overwhelming aura and the rumours they had heard that he was so terrifying and could make the King of Asteria bent his knees, strangely, he acted friendly with King Eudon. Behind him, a white-haired general stood with two short swords tucked behind his belt, his eyes looking at them with caution. Without needing to introduce himself, they already knew who he was, general Frost of Euphorion, King Angelus' trustee general. Some of them gulped hard since they knew this meeting would be different than previous ones. And one thing for sure, they couldn't say a wrong word or they would lose their heads.
Meanwhile, Ivetta and Duke Bartlet saw Angel's closeness to King Eudon as bad news even more than when they heard about Rose. They exchanged glances and this time they agreed on one thing, they must not let Angel and King Eudon get too close or what they had been fighting for all this time would be in vain.
While Angel had planned this with King Eudon beforehand. In order to lure the rebels, they had to show their good relations at the meeting and see the nobles' reactions. The nobles should have supported their good relationship for the sake of Zephyrus' stability after the war, but the rebels would not be happy about this and would try to separate them and even incite them to kill each other.
Feeling their acting was enough to convince the Zephyrus Nobles, Angel glanced at the nobles who were still stiffened in front of the entrance.
"Looks like we forgot to let the guests come in," said Angel in a casual tone.
"You are right." King Eudon turned to the nobles.
"Come in and take a seat."
The nobles bowed before taking their seats according to their position in the aristocracy. Their brains were guessing what had happened. Of course, this was good news for the nobles who support the Heart Family. Since this meant Rose and King Eudon had successfully negotiated with Angel. With this, at least the Heart Family could maintain their position as Zephyrus' ruler and the aristocracy's position would not change.
Different than in Asteria, King Eudon was the one who opened this meeting.
"Thank you for attending this important meeting. On this occasion, I would like to tell you some important things, especially about yesterday's attack. Previously, there had been a misunderstanding between Euphorion and Zephyrus which led King Angelus to conquer Ironwall City and made me sign a surrender statement. But after we discussed, we managed to clear up our misunderstanding and decided to cooperate for Zephyrus and Euphorion's glory. Therefore I hope your cooperation and your support by signing a statement that Zephyrus is under Euphorion's rule." Even with Zephyrus' defeat and the mess that Angel had made at Rose's engagement party, King Eudon's voice sounded calm.
Several guards handed out statements and placed it before them. They read the letter for a few moments while frowning. The statement contained an agreement to King's Eudon decision and agreed that Zephyrus was under Euphorion's rule, any violations would threaten their families' safety.
"Princess Rose and Prince Artheur's engagement was cancelled due to this unexpected incident. We have also discussed it with the Fallensoar Family and they have agreed to it," added King Eudon.
"Your Majesty, may we know what misunderstanding that has caused this war?" asked one of the nobles.
"This was caused by third party incitement," replied King Eudon without giving further details. This was the bait he had prepared to lure the noble who supported the rebels because Angel had told him that this rebellion had something to do with Slyhelm Town's rebellion and Prince Ilex.
The other nobles frowned since it was so unusual for King Eudon to only give such brief explanations.
"May we have more details, Your Majesty?" asked the other noble.
"Since we still want to discuss a few things, that's what I can tell you for now," said King Eudon.
"But how can we possibly sign this letter if we don't know the source of this problem?" said a noble and his words were approved by the other nobles.
Angel smirked and made his voice.
"Zephyrus is under my control. Do you still need a reason to sign the letter?" he asked.
They fell silent. His words were true, they had no other choice but to sign it but for the rebels, of course, this was different. They saw this as an opportunity to tarnish King Eudon's reputation and they were not going to waste it.
"Forgive my impudence, Your Majesty. Does this have anything to do with Pearl Gate City's incident?" said Marquess Digory. His face showed as if he was worried.
Angel guessed that the noble might have something to do with rebels.
"How did you come to that conclusion—" he gave a gesture for that noble to introduce himself.
Marquess Digory stood up from his seat and bowed.
"My name is Marquess Digory, Your Majesty." Then he sat down and continued his words.
"That was just my wild guess. Since this was a misunderstanding, I believe you would not possibly attack us for no apparent reason," he said in a calm tone.
"Your Grace, why did you come to such a conclusion? Why Pearl Gate City's incident? " asked the other nobles to Marquess Digory.
Marquess Digory turned his gaze to that noble.
"I don't think there is a more plausible reason than that."
"Wasn't it Asteria who destroyed that city?" asked the other, doubting Marquess Digory's words.
"If Asteria had managed to break through to Pearl Gate City, why did Asteria lose the war?" Marquess Digory replied with another question.
The others fell silent. While Angel, King Eudon, Ivetta and Duke Bartlet already knew what he would say next.
"That's why I think it has something to do with His Majesty, King Eudon's ability." Although Marquess Digory lowered his head to show his politeness, it was clear that he was trying to tarnish King Eudon's reputation.
The other nobles' murmur immediately filled the room, while Angel smirked, not expecting them to take his bait this fast.
'Looks like they can't wait to overthrow King Eudon.'
13