Second Arc (His Art of War) – 28. A Traitor Who Has Never Betrayed
1.5k 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hours had passed since King Gervis signed the statement. It's already noon but Eternal Harmony City's state is still quiet with the previous battle's trace spread out in the city. The entire Asteria army had surrendered their weapons and the castle's 'magic shield' had been reactivated.

The Euphorion troops were seen guarding every corner of the city while the civilians hid in their homes. Some of the carriages arrived in the Golden Light Castle's courtyard, one by one the nobles and ministers descended from their carriage. In the castle entrance, they were examined by the guards to make sure no one carried a weapon before entering the castle. They had been told verbally that the king had signed a letter of surrender and made the Kingdom of Asteria as part of the Kingdom of Euphorion. But the king of Euphorion wanted to meet them in person and discuss some things with them.

They walked into the castle escorted by Euphorion's troops into the meeting room, their expression turned tense. They did not expect the capital could be taken down so quickly, they even did not hear anything about the war between Asteria and Euphorion.

The door opened, a large, luxurious room with a long table and chairs lined up insight. They held their steps as their attention was immediately drawn to the King of Euphorion who sat waiting for them at the end of the table. The seat that can only be occupied by the highest authority in the castle. His legs folded leisurely and his hands placed on his lap. While King Gervis, their king, sat to his right, even though his face looks tired but he still maintains his composure.

"It was him..."
thought Duke Owen.

"Y-Your Highness? Are you still alive?" said one of the nobles in a halting tone.

"It's 'Your Majesty', Chancellor Vello. I'm not a prince anymore," He said in a cold voice.

Chancellor Vello could not say anything more, nor could the others. They knew he was the king of Euphorion from his uniform and badge, but what surprised them was that they did not think he was still alive after being executed. More than that they did not expect a prince of Asteria to have the heart to attack his own homeland and took it under another kingdom's authority. That was even worse than overthrowing the king.
"What are you waiting for? Sit down," he added. Although his words were polite but his tone sounded like an order.

They showed displeased expressions after hearing his orders.
"Forgive us, Your Majesty. But we don't take orders from traitors like you," Duke Owen replied in objection.

Faster than a blink, he swiftly takes out Nightmare and throws it in their direction. His movements were so fast that they only realized after the black sword passed through and stuck in the wall behind them. They stiffened in shock at what just happened.
"Sit down," He repeated in a cold voice.

The atmosphere turned tense and frightening. His eyes turned piercing cold, shrinking their guts. He knew that if he wanted to stabilize his power in Asteria quickly, he had to make them support King Gervis's decision. Disunity within the aristocracy would only worsen Asteria's condition after being weakened by war and highly possibly triggering a rebellion. To reach the agreement faster, he had to show what he could do as the enemy king who had just conquered their kingdom. The choice is obeying him or he will destroy Asteria without mercy.

They exchanged glances briefly before returning to the room and taking their seats according to their position in the aristocracy reluctantly.

He held out his hand, his sword turned into a dark aura and reshaped in his hand. Everyone looked at him in shock, since the castle was protected by the 'magic shield', there shouldn't be anyone who could use magic here.

He sheathed his sword, placed it on the table and returned to speak, ignoring their shock.
"I will go straight to the topic. King Gervis has signed a surrender statement, therefore, I want you to also sign a statement that you agree with King Gervis's decision that Asteria is under the rule of Euphorion," he said as several guards handed out statements and placed it before them. They read the letter for a few moments while frowning. The statement contains the agreement to King's Gervis decision and agreed that Asteria was under the rule of Euphorion, any violations will threaten their families' safety.

"What if we refuse?" asked Chancellor Vello bluntly.

Angel plopped his back on his chair casually and turned his gaze to Chancellor Vello.
"It doesn't matter. I only need to take over Asteria completely under my control. Including stripping away all your power and authority."

-Bang!

Duke Owen hits the table hard with his palm as he stands up in anger.
"You!" The Euphorion troops who have guarded them swiftly took out their weapons and aimed at him.

He turned his gaze to Duke Owen.
"Duke Owen, is there a problem?" he said coldly.

Duke Owen was silent for a moment, he knew their current position was very difficult. If they make even the slightest mistake then their lives will be in danger, no... Not only their lives but also the whole people of Asteria will be in danger. Duke Owen finally sat down and tried to hold his anger.

He waved his hands down, ordered his troops to lower their weapons and retreat, which was immediately carried out by his troops.
"Sign it," he said again.

Feeling they had no other choice, they took the pen and signed a letter in front of them unwillingly. Frost collected their letters and gave them to him. While Angel checked the letters to make sure their signatures were valid.

"I didn't expect the late King Renart's son would betray and destroy his own kingdom. Your father would be very disappointed in you," said Chancellor Vello out of blue with a sarcastic tone.

As soon as Chancellor Vello mentioned his father, his heart ached but he was ready for this. Facing a war with Asteria is tantamount to facing his past. Angel put the last letter in his hand on the table and let out a slightly evil laugh before returning to speak.
"Do you deserve to say that while you know nothing?"

"What do you mean?!" replied Chancellor Vello in anger. He was a Chancellor, he was sure there was nothing in the castle that he didn't know.

Angel averted his gaze to King Gervis, who had been silent from the beginning.
"King Gervis, do I need to explain everything to them about your attack on the kingdom of Euphorion a month ago? How did you destroy Pearl Gate City and kill everyone in it?"

Their expressions turned shocked mixed with disbelief, upon hearing his words.
"Why I never heard of it?" said Chancellor Vello in disbelief.

"Because your king attacked Euphorion without a declaration of war," he answered simply.

They were silent as if his words explained all their confusion. A sudden attack by Euphorion, even without any news from the border is absurd. Asteria is the biggest kingdom in Andromeda Continent with great military power. How could enemy forces cross the border unnoticed if it is not their own king who covers this news? They looked at King Gervis as if asking for an explanation from him.
"Your Majesty is that true? That you have attacked Euphorion without our agreement?"

King Gervis sighed, as soon as Asteria lost this war. He already knew that he had to explain everything.
"Yes, I have no choice but to do it."

Instantly, the entire room was filled with people's murmurs as they exchanged their gaze to each other, some of them staring at King Gervis in disappointment.
"Your Majesty, how could you do it without discussing anything with us?" Said Chancellor Vello, his disappointment clearly sounded from his tone.

But before King Gervis answered his question, Duke Owen opened his voice.
"Didn't you hear it? His Majesty King Gervis did it because he had to!" He gave Angel a sharp look before continuing to speak again.
"If not, maybe Asteria has been destroyed from the beginning."

Angel smiled cynically in reply.
"Duke Owen, I also want to ask you. On what basis you can say I prepared an army for attack Asteria?"

Duke Owen let out a slight sarcastic chuckled, without changing his gaze.
"A traitor takes another kingdom's throne and forms a large army. Is there another reason that makes more sense than revenge?"

"Your words sound reasonable. But now ask you again, are you sure I betrayed Asteria five years ago?"

"Of course! You have signed the statement!" said Duke Owen in certainty.

He pointed to the pile of statements in front of him with his eyes.
"You have signed my statement. Does that also make you a traitor?" he replied.

Duke Owen clenched his fist in anger.
"You forced me to sign it!" he said in an elevated tone.

"Then what's the difference between us? Are you sure I wasn't forced at that time? There was only my blood stamp in the letter, are you sure I can still hold a pen like you now?"

Duke Owen fell silent, his doubt clearly seen on his face. He realized about that, but as time went by he began to trust all of King Gervis's words.
"You mean ..."

A slight evil smirk appeared on his face.
"I will not discuss it now. I am not a person who likes to discuss the past. But if you are curious, you can ask King Gervis directly. I'm sure he will tell you the truth," he said in a nonchalant tone. He rose from his chair and swept his gaze to the nobles in the room.
"I have other business to do. I will postpone this meeting until tomorrow morning. I will take my leave now." Then he walked to the exit followed by Frost who carried their statements.

They turned their gaze to King Gervis once more, disappointment was clearly visible on their faces.
"Your Majesty..."

King Gervis took a deep breath, from the look in his eyes he was ready to take responsibility for all his decisions.
"I'll tell you everything …" 

36