47. Something to Protect
1.2k 17 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 47: Something to Protect

 

The Ak’hims won at the mines and quickly stripped it of any valuables. They filled carriages full of as many metals and magic crystals as possible and sent them on a shipment to Dragonsmourne to be used as resources for the war effort. Anything else was buried deep in the mines and the mines were subsequently collapsed to prevent the enemy from using it. The whole town received the same treatment as well, stripped of any valuables before being burned to the ground by the Ak’hims themselves in order to prevent the enemy from using it.

They then proceeded to move on to the next town and city, evacuating any citizens before stripping clean the place and burning it down. There were a few Alliance armies that they had to clash against while doing this, but they were all easily dealt with. 

The Alliance detachments were simply outnumbered by the joint army. Things weren’t all sunshine and rainbows though. Due to their decision to prioritise certain cities and towns, the other cities were being overrun by the Alliance. Reports have been coming in from all over about the deaths of tens of thousands of Ak’hims throughout the land.

The news only served to further demoralise the Ak’hims who already started to feel the fatigue of continuous campaigns and moving around the Kingdom. Morale took a hit and progress slowed down all across the board. This eventually turned out to be such a serious problem. So serious that the Ak’hims were forced to set up camp and recuperate as soldiers were starting to lose consciousness over the lack of sleep and rest. 

As far as Medica was concerned, this wasn’t a bad choice as they needed to take care of their wounded. Wounded that were resting in the medical tent right now, being treated by the medical Succours who worked extra hard. One of these medical Succours was Lina who was treating Medica. Medica who uncharacteristically received an injury to her arm during one of the battles. Lina was helping her change her bandages and the two shared an awkward moment.

“...I’m sorry.” Lina broke the silence by giving her an apology.

“Lord Lina…?” Medica tilted her head.

“I’m just so… pathetic. I’m not fit to lead all of you...” She said, her eyes not moving away from the task she was doing.

“Lord Lina…”

“I got one chance at proving myself and when the time came I just froze… I kept remembering the time where I lost my wings and suddenly I couldn't move… Maybe… I’ll just be a medical Succour like you,” Lina continued.

Medica couldn’t think of any good response to give her. What she did was give her a sincere smile. “Whatever you plan to do. I’ll support you to the best of my abilities, Lord Lina.”

“...Thanks,” Lina smiled back.

In a way, Medica was truly happy about the matter. Instead of giving up and going back to her depressed state, she decided that fighting is not for her and chose another path. Whether it was the right choice or not, Medica wouldn’t know. All that she knew was that Lina was much better at combat than being a medic. Though, there was nothing she could do to help. All she could do was stay by her side.

 

* * * * *

 

Lina’s medical capabilities weren’t top-notch or anything, so other than the small duties of changing bandages and applying first aid, there wasn’t anything much to do for Lina. She decided to take a walk around the encampment to clear things off her mind. She wasn’t really that afraid anymore to show others what had become of her and her wings. A full recovery, said Medica. 

“What a lie…” she muttered to herself. What part of her displayed a full recovery? Especially when she froze in fear of just the sight of combat.

Letting out a sigh, she continued to walk and observed the faces of the people in the encampment. Especially the Succours. She could see their happy faces, their beautiful figures, their hard work, their determination... their wings. 

Lina then thought of the Succours under her and their loyalty towards her. In a way, she was clueless as to why they were so willingly following her, even to this point. Especially after the fact that she showed something so pathetic the other day. To them, the fact that she was walking again brought smiles to their faces. It only serves to make Lina feel even worse about herself as she was unable to meet their expectations.

With no purpose and with an empty mind, she just walked and walked. Even after her legs started to feel sore, she still mindlessly wandered around the encampment. It was around nighttime, under the shine of a  full moon that she realised just how much time had passed. Yet, she still continued to walk. 

An amusing thought came to her mind, that she never actually did walk this long before in her life. For as long as she could remember, she had always flown using her beautiful wings.  Although unnatural of her to be grounded like so, it was oddly satisfying in a way. She felt calm and relaxed. She could hear nature for what it is rather than the sound of the wind constantly flying by her ears. Walking on the ground has its own perks. Perks that Lina never seemed to realise before.

Her leisurely stroll ended when she saw Klauna on top of a small hill looking onto the moon. In her hands was a bottle that she constantly took sips from. Her face was slightly red as she stared into the moonlight for no particular reason. It was clear that she was tipsy. Probably snuck out in order to sneak a drink or two. 

Lina may have been moping around during the past few months up to Prashyufa, but she was still aware of the circumstances that happened in the Seventh Army. Medica, Harbin and Cera were very close friends ever since Fort Kron and Medica would often tell her experiences when it was her break time.

She knew about Harbin’s secret intellectual battle against Klauna. The battle for the possession of liquor. The two have gone to great lengths to outsmart each other in their attempts to secure the liquors. Harbin’s goal was to prevent Klauna from drinking and vice versa, Klauna was to drink and keep as many bottles of liquor as she could find. Currently, as far as Lina knew, Harbin was winning. It was a one-sided battle really. Harbin had connections all over the Seventh Army. She was close friends with many and got along well with the other officers in the army. Officers that share the same goal— of wanting Klauna to be as sober as possible for the upcoming battles. 

Harbin and the other officers enforced an army-wide ban on liquor and pretty much went through every inventory item to prevent Klauna from getting her hands on one.  Though it seemed that the general has a few tricks up her sleeves, considering that she was drinking a bottle right in front of Lina.

Lina knew what Klauna was like when she’s drunk. Not to say that Klauna’s a radically different person when drunk, she was pretty alright all things considered, but if she had to pick, she would rather have the sober one. Choosing to ignore her presence, Lina decided to continue her stroll, basking in the moonlight. Although she didn’t really mean to, she accidentally got too close to Klauna which alerted the Analyst to her presence.

“Senior Shia…?” Klauna asked as she slowly turned around only to see Lina. Her face turned into a frown the moment she saw Lina.

“Who is that?” Lina said before walking closer, giving off a frown as well.

Klauna took a sip from the bottle before staring back onto the full moon. “A person who taught me things.”

“...I see…” Lina replied as she sat down on a piece of rock next to Klauna. Lina didn’t know why, but seeing that she was already here, she might as well exchange some words with Klauna.

Though it’s not like she had anything to talk about with Klauna. They were never really close. The only time she ever interacted with Klauna was during meetings and times where she would throw mocking insults to the drunkard. The last thing she expected was that the same drunkard would be the one giving out orders to her. That the person she looked down upon the whole time was actually really freaking strong. In a way, she was kinda glad that she didn’t have a showdown against Klauna that one time. She knew now that she never stood a chance.

Thinking about it, Lina had done nothing but mean things to Klauna. She didn't understand why Klauna wouldn't just demote her and throw her into a mental ward. Any normal person would do just that. It was only natural.

“Why… Did you bring me into those meetings? Why go all the way just to include me? Back then I was nothing more than a worthless deadbeat. I wasn’t going to provide anything useful in those meetings,” Lina broke the silence by asking a question that has been plaguing her mind for a while.

“Why not? You are a captain of the Seventh Army. It’s vital that you are at least aware of what’s going on,” Klauna responded. It was clear she didn’t put any thought into the answer.

Lina was not satisfied with the answer. She felt very irritated with the way that Klauna said it to her. “...That’s all? I don’t get it. You could have just demoted me rather than forcing me to join in all those meetings. You have the power and the valid reasons to do so.” 

“What difference does it make?” Klauna responded.

“Huh?”

“What difference does it make if I demoted you. Results the same anyways. All I will get is the ire of the Succours,” Klauna answered with an answer that fitted her flat tone and nonexistent expression. A cold logical answer with no feeling behind it. She was basically saying that Lina wasn't even worth paying attention to.

Lina clicked her tongue, getting more annoyed at the emotionless golem in front of her. “What’s wrong with you? You know what? Don’t answer me. Just demote me now. You are right in that I am worthless, might as well drop me out. I wasted good soldiers at Kron, wasted everyone's time and effort at Prashyufa and worse. I even risked the lives of people at the mines with my pathetic act. Demote me now, at least I know where my worth is.”

Klauna only let out a sigh at her sudden outburst. “It is you who I want to ask what is wrong. I deny your request. You don’t get the easy way out of this Scuttlelinaria. It’s too late for you and me both. If it’s fear that prevents you from being useful then you only need to conquer it. To find courage. Sitting around and complaining to me in frustration isn’t going to help your case.”

Lina scoffed at her response. “Easy for someone as strong as you to say. You probably won’t understand. You dive in deep into enemy lines alone without any signs of hesitation. I wonder if you even feel any fear. Cause it seemed to me that you don’t.”

Klauna gave an annoyed look at Lina.“What are you even babbling about? Of course, I feel fear. I would be lying if I say I didn’t. I’m quite afraid of every time I have to enter battle. I am afraid of dying just like everyone else. I’m afraid of getting hurt myself. I am afraid of letting everyone down. It would be unnatural to feel otherwise,” Klauna answered, never breaking eye contact from her.

“Wh-what..? But you...”

“There are things that I am more afraid of losing than dying or losing a pair of limbs, Scuttlelinaria. I would rather die many times than to lose that. When you think about it, death is really just an easy way out. It comes for everyone eventually, it’s pointless to think so much about it.”

Lina kept silent, unable to respond to her.

Shaking the bottle and drinking the last bit of liquor she had left, Klauna then stood up and started to walk away. Just shy of a few steps, she then turned around to face Lina. “Courage you see, is not about being fearless. It’s about standing strong and moving forward despite being afraid. Maybe the first step to conquering this irrational fear of yours is to find something you fear losing more than your own fear of battle. It might help a little bit.”

Klauna then turned around and started walking away for real. “Or you can do whatever it is that you are doing now. I’m not a doctor, I wouldn’t know shit about this.”

Klauna’s silhouette soon disappeared from Lina’s sight. 

“...how vulgar,” Lina murmured to herself. She then just sat there mindlessly, looking at the moon.

….
….
….
….

She didn’t know for how long, but Lina ‘woke’ up when she saw the skies turning orange. 

Dawn was arriving.

She’s pretty much been awake for a whole day now. Thinking she could still get some sleep, Lina started making the trek back to the medical tent. It was on the way, when she passed by the storage tent, that she saw Yuupiecca working hard at the ray of dawn. The sunlight hitting him at just the right timing, illuminating his figure.

The warm fuzzy feeling appeared again in her chest.  Her body became light and she felt unnaturally happy for some reason. She then remembered the words that Klauna said to her the night before. About finding something that she fears losing more than her own fear of battle.

It was at that moment that Lina finally realised her feelings. There was something she needed to protect, that she fears losing more than herself. Her underlings’ respect. The happiness of her closest friends. The man that saved her life and pulled her out from the darkness.

Slapping her cheeks, Lina decided to give it one more try. This time she will take it slow.

“Hey, Yuupiecca. You are up early today,” Lina said with a smile on her face.

 

Thanks for reading! You all got fooled thinking chapter 47 will be on 3rd of April! No it is chapter 48 that will be on 3rd of April! mwahahahha.

46