76. The Final Meeting
1.2k 9 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 76: The Final Meeting

 

The night passed and the ray of dawn soon hit the great floating city of Divinatus. The streets started to bustle again as the citizens started to wake up. Ignoring the fact that the city turned into a half storage unit facility and the fact that there were still in the middle of a siege by a force of at least one hundred and twenty thousand soldiers aside, things were rather normal with people going out to the market to buy food and necessities.

Klauna was amazed at how much normalcy there was. Amazed that no matter how terrible a situation is, there will always be people who go about as if things don’t matter. Walking her way down the street, she could see a multitude of people just living their life. Klauna didn’t know whether it was because they were trying to escape reality by creating an illusion that things were normal or because they were trying their best in the situation given to them.

Still, it was better than seeing a bunch of people just standing around and doing nothing. It meant that there was hope, that the people have yet to lose to despair. 

There was another thing that caught Klauna’s attention at all this. It was the fact that, as she was walking along, there were a few people who saw her and gave her a respectful bow. She didn’t understand why they would do so. 

It was a given. In all her life, people have never bowed down to her. What makes this day special?

Harbin, who was walking next to Klauna, seemed to know the answer, but chose to keep it to herself. She smiled with pride as she saw the people gave their respect to Klauna.

“Why are you so happy?” Klauna saw Harbin’s mood and was rather confused by her actions as well.

“Well… it’s just that. It feels good to be able to walk down the street and have people respect you, you know?”

“I see,” Klauna replied. “Yeah, I guess it does feel nice not having someone look at you like you're trash for once.”

“I know right?” Harbin replied with a bubbly tone.

Giving her a soft smile, the two then continued to walk through the streets. Towards the walls of Divinatus. The event of people bowing down to Klauna continued till the two reached the wall.

….
….
….
….

As soon as they reached the wall they were greeted by four men. Kazakiel, Sennari, Natahiniel and Blackmask. The four were just waiting near the stairs of the place, anticipating Klauna’s arrival. 

Looking around, Klauna observed the wall which was filled to the brim with soldiers who were getting prepared for the next battle; every single one of them stood in standby. Near the end of the wall were all the officers and higher representatives of the military gathered around in the area, each one of them overlooking the barren lands, observing the Alliance on the other side.

“Hey, Cera! Hey, Medica!” Harbin yelled and jogged towards them, leaving Klauna alone with the four.

“Energetic as ever huh?”  Natahiniel said to the group. His tone was shaky and his face showed no signs of happiness.

“Let her be,” Klauna replied, no smiles on her face as well.

“Understood.”

 Klauna then turned to face the four. “More importantly, how are preparations?”

“Done. Everything is set up to perfection. You have my word,” Blackmask replied. The other three nodded with his statement. Every single one of them had a serious look on their face.

“I see. Thanks. Usually, I will get Balestra to do these kinds of things for me. But…” Klauna brought her eyes away from the four in front of her.

“You don’t have to tell us anything, Lord Klauna. We understand,” Sennari said

Klauna shook her head in denial before staring at them in the eyes. “No. I mean it. Thanks for everything you guys have done for me. I appreciate it.” 

None of the four could reply with anything else.

“You guys are the types that don’t take credit, I know. But you four have done so much for this Kingdom. Being the people who work behind the scenes, you all deserve it. The war would have been long lost if there weren’t people like you who are willing to do the dirty work. To do my dirty work,” Klauna gave them a sincere smile.

“...I’m not one for mopey dialogues, so let’s just cut to the chase, Lord Klauna,” Kazakiel answered, a slight blush on his cheeks.

Natahiniel let out a small chuckle at his statement. “Anything else you want us to do?”

“...Nothing from you, Sennari and Kazakiel. But there is something that I still want to ask of you,” Klauna looked towards Blackmask.

“If there is anything I can do, just tell me,” Blackmask replied.

“I want to see the person behind the mask. Your name as well. It’s the one thing that still bugs me till this day,” Klauna said to him.

He didn’t give out any response nor did he show any signs of responding. He stayed still as if deliberating on whether to comply with the request. A good ten seconds passed when he finally nodded and brought his hands towards his mask. He then went to the back of his head and pulled down his hood, before finally taking off his mask in front of Klauna and the others. What was revealed was beyond Klauna’s expectations. The person in front of her had long hair tied in a bun and a rather handsome but feminine face. 

The woman in front of her then gave her a salute.

“Arakashtoskali Saboteur,” the voice that came out sounded manly, but it was without a doubt the voice of a female.

Klauna couldn’t contain her shock and let out a small chuckle at the sight in front of her. “Who would’ve thought… You sure got me there.”

“It wasn’t my intention to mislead anyone. It’s easier when everyone knows you as a man. It’s a secret that I’ve kept for sixty years,” Arakash replied.

“I see…” Klauna smiled and took a look at her four ‘shadows’. “Once again thank you. I’m proud to have served with you,” Klauna gave them a nod before moving towards the other officers on the wall.

The four only gave her a salute from behind before moving into position as well.

 

* * * * *

 

Klauna had received news that morning. Good news informing her that the repairs of Divinatus have been completed and departure from the continent was imminent. She was also informed of bad news. News that the Alliance were making their movement towards Divinatus once again. 

To deal the final blow.

“And that’s my report. Every single one of them is coming for us. I believe they have about one hour before they are ready to launch an assault on us,” Aberanis said to everyone in the gathering.

Tension among the Ak'hims rose as they gave out a look of frustration. Once again, the Alliance refused to back down.

“Yuupiecca. What is the status of the repairs? You told me that it’s done, why are we not sailing away?” Klauna asked.

“We are. Just not fast enough. The ancient engine needs some time to warm up before getting to max speed and efficiency,” He replied.

“How long?” Kazakiel asked.

“About a few hours. Even then we will not immediately leave the place, it will be a slow sail.” 

“A few hours? The enemy will overrun us by that time!” Vargus yelled out in anger. It was something that a lot of the officers in the area agreed with.

“Is there no way to speed things up?” Lina asked.

“We’ve already tried the best we could. We just need more time.”

“How much time can we even buy? We are only eight thousand strong and exhausted to boot. We can’t possibly last that much longer,” Parash commented on the matter.

“It doesn’t matter. We have to make it,” Cera said to the group.

“Yeah! It’s alright guys! We’ll make it for sure. As long as we work together.  We are almost there. We have to do it!” Harbin’s cheerful voice rang out in the area as well. She was trying her best to bring the mood up.

Though not many people there were in agreement with her. Yes, they must defend the place at all cost. But determination only was not enough to make such a thing happen. They needed a plan.

“The young Analyst is right. We need to prepare for the next battle,” Queen Saladis said out in an attempt to rally the soldiers as well.

However, before any of them could reply, Klauna stepped forward, turning everyone’s attention to her.

“There is no need. I have a plan that will buy us all the time we need. Without losing any of our soldiers,” she said.

“Eh? You do?!” Harbin’s shocked yell resounded in the area.

Though she was the only one to do so. Everyone else had a complicated look on their face. They knew something that Harbin has yet to realise.

“I’m glad… for a while there I actually thought we have to fight to the death,” Harbin brought her hands to her chest and let out a sigh of relief.

Everyone’s pensive expression became even more sorrowful at the sight. Everyone except Klauna who let a smile towards Harbin.

“Yeah, of course. I always have a plan,” Klauna said to her. She brought her chest up high as if to flaunt to the Analyst.

“Yeah. I guess you always do. E-he-he,” Harbin scratched the back of her head.

“By the way, before I unveil the plan. May I borrow the grimoire for a while? I need to look up a certain spell. I believe there is something that could make the plan work better.”

“Um? Sure…” Harbin tilted her head as she passed the grimoire to Klauna. Once received, Klauna opened the grimoire and started to flip the pages around. 

As she did so, she took this chance to ask another to Harbin. “Hey, Harbin. How old are you again? If I recall correctly, you are supposed to be eighteen, but I can’t remember when’s your birthday.” 

“Huh? What’s with the random question?”

“Don’t ask back so many things. Just tell me. “

“Um… ok… I actually have been eighteen for quite a while now. My nineteenth birthday is coming up soon, about a few weeks from now.”

“I see… Happy belated coming of age,” Klauna said to Harbin, avoiding eye contact with her.  Klauna never stopped flipping the pages around, seemingly analysing the contents of the book. If one looked closely, one could see that she was writing something in the book.

Harbin gave Klauna a deadpan stare. “That was the most insincere apology I’ve ever heard.”

Klauna let out a wry smile before giving back the grimoire to the Analyst. “I’ll make it up to you. I promise.”

Harbin’s eyes widened the moment she heard the word ‘promise’. Everyone should know by now that making a promise as an Ak’him is no small matter. It’s a contract mark on the soul, a gamble on an Ak’him’s existence. The fact that Klauna said that meant that she was very serious about the matter. It wasn’t just Harbin who was surprised. Everybody else who was near the vicinity gave out shocked looks as well.

“Lord Klauna…”

“I think this spell should work well enough. Harbin, can I ask you for a favour?” Klauna said to Harbin, her smile never faltered.

Harbin immediately went stiff and gave Klauna a salute. “Just let me know. I’ll do my best to do it.”

Klauna didn’t immediately order her. Only brought out the spear Indominatus and started untying the banner of the Seventh Army from the spear. “I want you to live a fulfilling life. That no matter what happens, you won’t let anger and vengeance consume you. That you will become a wise person.” 

Klauna paused for a moment.

“Don’t… waste your life like I did.”

After successfully untying the banner, she then brought and tied it around Harbin’s neck. It became like some sort of shoulder cape. Klauna then let out a satisfied nod. “Yeah. That looks good on you. Take care of the Seventh Army for me, will you?”

“... You know you are acting super weird right now, Lord Klauna,” Harbin took a look at the banner that was just tied to her shoulders. “What does this have anything to do with your… huh…?”

It was then that Harbin started to stumble, her eyelids felt heavy and it was hard for her to concentrate.

“I'm sorry that it has to come to this Harbin...You can hate me all you want after this.  Don’t blame the others. I was the one who told them to do it,” Klauna said to her, a bittersweet smile on her.

“Lord Klauna…” Harbin muttered, her vision getting blurry by the moment. 

“Thank you for everything you have done for me, Harbin.” 

It was then that Harbin completely lost consciousness and fell down, caught by Medica who was waiting in standby behind her.

The place went silent for a while, everyone looked at the pair with eyes of sympathy.

"Is this really alright, Lord Klauna? You don't have to do this. We can make it out together," Medica said to Klauna. In her arms was an unconscious Harbin. She would not wake up for hours.

"It's because I don't have to do it that I'm going."

"But… it's so cruel not to tell her…"

"If I told her, then she would force me to stay. Besides… I just want to see her smile one last time. I won't be able to do it if she knew," Klauna responded before turning away.

“Open the gates. I’m moving out,” Klauna ordered the soldiers around her. 

“Roger, Lord Klauna.” 

Klauna then faced everybody in the area. “Don’t wait for me. If you can leave then just leave. That’s an order.” 

She then gave a bow towards everyone. “This is farewell. I wish you all a better future.”

She turned around for a short while before realising something, turning back to face all the officers. “I’m taking this with me, by the way,” Klauna presented the spear at them.

It was then that she really started walking away— towards the gates through a small opening made especially for her. The soldiers and officers all over gave her a salute as she passed by them. Nobody said anything. There was nothing left to say after all. All they had left was silent respect for the Analyst.

 

Thanks for reading! Not going to mince words here, but the story is coming to an end.

42