3 – Scamming Kami-sama!
463 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

King Sire placed his face in his hands and let out a long sigh.

Why was it that everyone around him was incompetent? Other than him, Ma Jik, and Fi Tyr, the First Sirius Kingdom was lacking in talents. He had been hoping that Kami-sama’s supposed hero would help resolve the situation and stop the Demon Lord, but he should have known better than to trust the one who told him to become king and then left him to figure out how to do it on his own.

After about a minute ruing his life, King Sire raised his head and said, “It looks like we’ll have to resort to Plan B, Jik.”

The elderly Archmage tilted his head and said, “The artificial soldier plan, Sire?”

King Sire nodded. “Better to spend the magical metal we have lying around in the dead zone than lose lives fighting against the Demon Lord.”

Fi Tyr frowned and said, “About that, Sire…”

“What is it, Tyr?”

The muscular man in full plate armor shook his head and said, “Adventurers I sent out have reported back that while the frontier villages were overtaken by demons, there has yet to be any signs of casualties. It seems that the Demon Lord is keeping the humans safe for some reason.”

Ma Jik scowled. “No doubt for some nefarious purpose. There could be no other reason for the embodiment of evil and darkness.”

King Sire nodded. “All the better to expedite the plan. But… Hm. It will be irksome if the hero that Kami-sama sent were to perish or captured by the demons…”

Although Kami-sama didn’t intervene much in their world, the few times he had descended wrought great changes. Mountains rose from the earth, vast forests bloomed before their very eyes, and deserted wastelands became fertile grasslands.

They were impossible miracles that couldn’t be replicated even by Ma Jik, who spent his entire life studying the underlying principles of the world and magic. Not only that, but from what Ma Jik told him, what Kami-sama did also defied what the mage did know about magic.

That fact was the only reason that King Sire had not taken Ma Jik’s suggestion to separate the church and state.

While Kami-sama did not seem malevolent and was inclined to help them, not to mention responsible for their lives being in this world to begin with, there was still the chance that Kami-sama would turn that destructive strength upon them instead. And that chance would increase if they actively opposed him.

Which led to their biggest problem: Kami-sama’s hero who had run away.

“Hm…”

King Sire glanced around the room and pondered about what he should do.

Send Fi Tyr to retrieve him? No, that guy would wreak havoc the entire way there and get sidetracked to fight demons. It’d be months before he heard back from him.

Ma Jik? No, the old man was wise and powerful, but that guy was also impatient and irritable. Also far too prone to explosions and hellfire.

King Sire placed a hand on his chin and muttered, “Do I have to go myself?”

“Father! Allow me!” A lovely and determined voice echoed in the throne room, and then someone walked through the doors.

King Sire looked up.

A beautiful young woman. Wavy brown hair tied in a strict ponytail with wispy bangs framed a delicate face and sharp blue eyes. She wore sparkling silver chainmail over a light blue tunic and had a rapier strapped to her right side.

“May?” King Sire frowned and said, “What are you doing here?”

Princess May Din Sire stepped forward and crossed her arms. “I heard what happened! To think that the great hero summoned by Kami-sama would be so cowardly…!” She lowered her arms and clenched her fists. “I will drag that worthless man back here and force him to apologize!”

King Sire felt a headache starting.  “I appreciate your enthusiasm, May, but the hero is unnecessary.”

In fact, it was better like this. Their problems were better solved by themselves and not relying on a whimsical god.

…Unfortunately, it seemed like his headstrong daughter had other ideas.

“That can’t be, Father!” May shook her head and said, “He is the one summoned through Kami-sama himself! It’s the greatest honor and our greatest hope! To run away and let you shoulder the weight of the world again… I refuse to allow it!”

Fi Tyr laughed and smiled at May. “It seems like you’ve inherited your father’s righteous spirit.”

Ma Jik scoffed. “Hmph. If only she had inherited his wisdom as well...”

May narrowed her eyes. “What did you say old man?”

Ma Jik rolled his eyes and waved his staff.

May narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth to shout, but no words came out. Realizing that, she glared at Ma Jik and jabbed a finger at him, no doubt cursing him out silently.

After a while though, she took a deep breath and closed her mouth.

Ma Jik raised an eyebrow and said, “Are you done now?”

She nodded.

Ma Jik waved his staff again, dispelling the mute spell he placed on her.

May glared at him and said, “Perverted old man.”

“You-!”

King Sire sighed. “May. Jik is essentially your grandfather. Treat him with respect, would you?”

“Hmph!” May crossed her arms and said, “I’ll treat him with respect when he stops spying on the female baths with his crystal orb!”

“How do you know that?!” Ma Jik froze and then coughed. “I mean… I know nothing of what you speak.”

King Sire pinched the bridge of his nose and said, “Dammit, Jik. I thought you promised to stop?”

Fi Tyr glared at the Archmage and said, “Yes. Do you need to be taught another lesson?”

Ma Jik groaned. “I can’t help it. That damned Kami-sama cursed me to be this way, alright?”

May scoffed. “Sure. That’s what all perverts say.”

King Sire sighed. “In any case, it’s too dangerous, May. I know you’ve been training, but we don’t know where or when the Demon Lord will strike. It’s better to have the hero out there to distract him while we gather our forces.”

“But Father-!”

“No buts. Besides, despite what your mother thinks, Kami-sama isn’t omniscient.”

If that bastard was, he would have known better than to send a hero that ran away at the first signs of hard work.

“Even so!” May flung her right arm to the side and said, “You can’t allow him to disrespect your authority like that! If one person does, then-“

“I’m well aware of the consequences, May. Now, go back to your room and resume your studies.”

“Aaargh! Fine!” May marched out of the throne room, stomping along the way. After walking through the doors, she slammed them shut, causing more rubble to fall from the roof onto the floor.

Fi Tyr stared at the doors for a while and then said, “She’s going to run after the hero, Sire”

King Sire sighed. “I know. That girl inherited my stubbornness… but unfortunately her mother’s intelligence.”

While beautiful and kind, Sire could not call his wife, Intellega, very… well, intelligent.

He glanced at Fi Tyr and said, “Send someone to keep an eye on her for me, would you, Tyr? Jik and I will start on Plan B in the meanwhile… And if Kami-sama sends any more oracles, immediately report back to me.”

“Understood, Sire.”

With that, Tyr nodded and walked off.

King Sire sighed.

…Why did he decide to follow through on being king again? 

Oh right. Because he was promised the most beautiful and kind woman in the world as his wife.

…Damned scamming Kami-sama.

Fun fact. Sire once had a full and thick head of hair. And then he became King Sire...

A bit more setup now. We'll get back to our 'Brave' protagonist next chapter and see what he's up to. The antics should be starting up soon!

7