4 – Why Is It So Hard To Be Low-Key?!
414 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After running for countless miles, Yuu Go collapsed on the ground.

His stomach was empty, his throat was parched, and he had a headache from not being able to peruse the internet.

Staring at the blue sky above him, Yuu muttered, “Is this what they mean when they say you won’t miss it until it’s gone?”

He wanted his phone. He wanted his laptop, his games, his light novels.

And thinking about that reminded him.

Yuu groaned. “Now I’ll never know what happens to Caelum and if he gets together with Nami in the end.”

The decade long wait… postponed indefinitely.

If he knew it was going to be like this, he would have never picked up that game made by Ramuno Yatsute.

“Should I head back?”

For a split second, Yuu considered returning to the king and apologizing… and then he remembered how they’d work him like a mule.

He already had enough of that back on Earth!

This was supposed to be his second chance! Every otaku’s dream! Sure, he didn’t get to see what happened at the end of Kingdom Stars III, but he was in an Isekai!

Yuu jumped to his feet. “That’s right! What am I moping around for?”

He had the opportunity of a lifetime! Sure he didn’t have the internet, but this was a world where he could learn magic and swordsmanship and everything! This was the perfect chance!

Yuu nodded to himself and started scanning his surroundings. “Now, just gotta find a town and-“

[Navigation MAX obtained.]

Yuu froze after seeing that message pop up in a floating light window in front of him. “Right. I forgot about this.” He stared at the screen and said, “Is this the cheat that Kami-sama was talking about?”

He tapped on the window, causing it to vanish. At the same time, the world around him changed.

Before, it was just an open grassland with nothing in sight. Now though, it was like he stepped into an MMORPG. There were markers everywhere, a minimap floating in the corner of his vision, and a few highlighted marks on that minimap that he could tap and examine.

“Huh.”

He poked the minimap, causing it to zoom into show a miniature version of himself atop the grasslands. At the same time though, there was a big glowing red dot moving towards him.

Yuu groaned. “That’s weird.” He tapped on the red dot and read its information. “…Giant Killer Kero?”

“Look out!”

A voice called out to him. Female… and frantic?

Yuu blinked and looked towards it.

There was a woman running towards him. She had long violet hair and was dressed in red bikini armor.

He blinked again, distracted at the sudden flash of bare skin. “Um… What?”

She pointed up and said, “Above you!”

“Above me?”

Yuu glanced up. There, he saw it.

A giant red toad, about the size of a small van falling towards him. Its bulbous yellow eyes swiveled to look at Yuu and a low croak rumbled from its throat.

Yuu’s eyes widened.

It was too fast and shocking. Instead of running, his legs froze into place. Realizing that, Yuu did the only thing he could do.

He closed his eyes and then swung his fists in a panicked frenzy.

THWACK.

[Berserker Fury MAX obtained]

[Fisticuffs MAX obtained]

A wet, meaty sound echoed, followed by the sound of something fleshy popping. Like a giant pimple or a rotten watermelon.

Yuu opened his eyes.

His fist was outraised, and he wasn’t dead. Instead, all around him, there were bits of red flesh and white bone scattered all about.

The woman in the bikini armor running towards him froze, coming to a stop. She pointed at Yuu and said, “That-“

Yuu glanced down at his fist, his blood-stained shirt, the demolished toad, and then the group of people slowly coming over behind that woman and made a logical conclusion.

“I’m getting out of here!”

Using his maxed out escape skill, Yuu ran away again.


“Ha… ha… ha…”

After running even more miles away from the scene of the crime, Yuu finally came to a stop.

Looking around, he saw that the scenery had changed. Before, he was at a rolling grassland, but now he was by some farmlands. There were wheat fields nearby, and in the distance he could see smoke drifting into the sky.

Also, his minimap was telling him that a village was over there.

That was good. It meant he could find a place to eat, get water, and wash all the gunk off of him.

Or that was what he hoped to do. But…

“What am I supposed to do about this?”

He glanced at his fist. The same fist that casually blew up a giant toad falling from the sky.

Was this Kami-sama’s cheat? To get the max level skill for whatever he tried doing?

First was escape, after that, berserker fury and fisticuffs…

Yuu turned to the side and casually tossed out a punch.

The air cracked and a muffled boom echoed.

His eyes widened and he slowly lowered his fist.

“Scary.”

Way too scary.

It was one thing to be overpowered, but this… Did that Kami-sama not understand the meaning of balance?!

How was he supposed to stay low-key like this? Wouldn’t the Demon Lord know where he was right away if he was this strong?!

“Alright. Calm down, Yuu. This will all work out.”

[Self-Hypnosis MAX obtained.]

Yuu felt a calm running through his body. The panic that was settling in his heart faded.

When he realized why though, that panic instantly returned. He glared at the message and quickly tossed it away.

“Scary! Way too scary!”

Casually talking to himself got him a skill, and one like that too? What if he thought about killing someone? Would that get him something like Murderer MAX?

Yuu shivered and then slapped his cheeks. “You can do this.”

[Cheer MAX obtained.]

“Quiet!”

[Scolding MAX obtained.]

“Aaargh!”

Yuu felt like pulling out his hair.

That damned Kami-sama… Did he not put any checks into his system? Not only that, the messages were different too, weren’t they? The first time, it said he learned escape before saying he mastered it, but now he was just getting a MAX skill off to get go?!

No. Calm down… But not too calm. He didn’t want to hypnotize himself into an emotionless wreck.

It was alright. Fine. This was… just like when he first joined Company X. Right. He just had to play it cool and pretend he didn’t know anything. Just… keep his head down and go with the flow.

Boing.

“AAAAH!”

Yuu flinched and threw a punch out at the sound.

A tiny slime came into view and was instantly turned into dust… along with everything else behind it.

Yuu stared at the destruction and then clutched his head in both hands before making a break for it again.

“Damn it! Why is it so hard to be low-key?!”

Recovering from a stomach bug, so sorry for the late chapter. I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but cookie to whoever knows the game reference in this chapter is as well as who Ramuno Yatsute is supposed to be.

Thanks for reading! I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts and ideas. I'm playing free and loose with this story, so anything I find fun might make it in at some point. You never know!

9