Chapter 322 – Not My Problem
258 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of course, that isn’t the end of it. Jason is put through a number of tests by Gregor just in case something would show up. Maybe it would have worked on another Traveller but Gregor already knew the results for this. A blank result. The difference was this time the alchemists and government were payrolling it so Gregor had gone all out.

Gregor and Jason had a good laugh over it while they wrapped the tests up. Jason stretches as he readies to leave. Gregor stops him, “So all the tests are over and everything I have to report to them has been gathered. Of course, if the System decides to tell you anything and you feel it is directly related to the potion make sure to drop me a line.

“Off the books, I’m guessing you know some of the benefits you got. If the people I report to can unstick themselves from their rut, they will too. You clearly gained something related to your core and conceptuals. I don’t expect them to realize that because as far as they are concerned you’re just a low level nobody. I don’t expect you to tell me anything but any hints? From the results, you clearly are delving interesting paths”

Jason laughs, he had kept something back. So much so that until the tests were finished, he hadn’t even allowed his conscious mind to realize it. An interesting use of meditation techniques, but when truth spells exist, it has some extra value.

Though there is one bit that doesn’t need to be hidden. “I won’t know for sure until I go back to my world but the potion should cross over. If any other traveller can make use of this will depend heavily on what kind of training, they have over there. But I’m sure you already knew that was potentially true. After all, in theory, just about any soul effect should transfer to some degree.

“I must admit that this one might be more effective because of what it does. The System likely dampens the effects that would target the soul shell of travellers. This potion? If I had to pin down what it does, I would say it forces your soul shell to move. Of course it does more than that but the extra stuff seems to have to do with increased learning ability. Like, if you wanted to waste the potion you could probably use it to teach just about any mental or physical technique which can take place while the potion is working.”

Gregor laughs, “We don’t even have enough for the kitsune that need it.”

Jason looks over at him, “But we literally just gathered the main ingredient as almost a side thing.”

Gregor shrugs, “While it is the main ingredient, it isn’t the rarest ingredient. They have to add stuff that allows the effect of the pearls to transfer over to a sapient.”

Jason frowns, “Then why was everyone so keen on grabbing the mind pearls we had?”

Gregor pulls out a gold coin, “Can anything you can buy with common coinage truly be rare? Sure, the mind pearls might drop from most swarm cats and so in theory far outstrip the supply of the other ingredients. But even if the other ingredients require you to kill hundreds of naturally spawned bosses to get even a single set of ingredients, that is just a matter of having enough money.

“Even if it requires multiple parties of level 100 plus adventurers, that is just a matter of putting up a quest with a decent reward. I spent a few magnitudes more on the supplementary ingredients than those mind pearls cost. And that’s the thing. These potions aren’t for just anybody.

“They’re meant for four-tailed kitsune who are advancing to their fifth tail. That means someone who is at least 600 years old and level 300. Oh, and before you ask, yes, if you only needed the mind pearls your group had gathered for a single potion there would be way more than needed. Sadly, you need a mountain’s worth of them to make one potion.

“Peter has been gathering them for a while. It would have gone quicker if we had been willing to use the kingdoms but it imposes a few restrictions on any takers. The restrictions aren’t really all that bad but while I like the kingdom, I prefer being as free as possible. Like, half the reason I’ve ended up with such a high level was to gain enough power for more personal freedom.”

Jason stands there for a moment before nodding. “Fair enough. Though it definitely sounds like I came out with way too good of a deal here. Why would they waste a potion like that on me? Someone who isn’t even level 25, let alone 300.”

Gregor laughs, “No matter that we call them pearls, they aren’t actually pearls. The things have a shelf life to them and the same is true for the supplemental stuff. It was less of wasting a potion on you as it was making use of some things about to spoil. Even the non-data they got from you is important.

“While it doesn’t seem like much, every bit of data will help. Next time they try it they can compare what the traveller experiences . Even just the fact you gained so much control will mean something if others don’t have a similar gain.”

Jason nods, “I can see that. Though I can almost guarantee no other traveller will see such a large jump for quite some time. The reason I gained so much is because I already had excellent control and it was just a matter of giving me access to my soul. About the only way someone will be able to match that is through training their soul before taking the potion. And of course for travellers, that basically means it is impossible. Soul training isn’t exactly a thing where we are from and without something like that potion would be useless, anyway.”

Gregor shrugs, “Not my problem. But even if you are the exception, you would be there to prove the rule, as it were.”

Thank you for reading the chapter, I hope you enjoyed it! Please consider Reviewing, Favoriting, and Sharing the novel. And if you want more? My Patreon has two extra chapters available to read for free right now!

8