Book 1, Chapter 19 Epilogue.
367 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Book 1, Chapter 19 Epilogue.

The next morning, my group and I were siting by the lake, enjoying the summer's sun but protected from the summer heat by a bewitched tarp we tied from tree branches and roots.

Our placement allowed us to enjoy this bright day, without suffering from it's heat.

I was providing the music with my violin, while Sydney swam along the lake embankments. It didn't want to go far from it because of the girls.

Pansy, Millicent and Daphne all brought food for our pets, but also for the giant squid.

Whose size didn't agree with Sydney's.

My pet's size went up during the year, it was now the same size as my hand. It still couldn't be compared with the squid's twenty meters long.

The girls kept levitating snacks for it. Far away enough that the splashes didn't bother my playing. (They were being considerate).

 

The snacks ?

 

 

Big chunks of Crab.

 

 

No !

 

The animal.

 

Not Crabe, we didn't want to poison it. Nor make it angry.

 

Daphne's lizard, Daenerys, was lazing on an exposed branch. So did Morgana, Millicent's cat. She finally decided on a name by the end of June. She wanted it to be perfect. Goyle still had some stigmata for trying to question her naming sense, but don't let this small detail stop you from expressing your thoughts.

 

- I can't believe we had the philosopher's stone at the school. Said Daphne. That crook Quirrel really hid his game.

- Well, he's dead now, so who cares about him ? Answered Pansy. (With votes results of three against, one neutral and two not mature enough to understand the question, it was decided that we shouldn't talk about the chimera part of our late teacher).

- We know you would have wanted the life elixir for your sister, but did you ever dream of what you would have wanted if you had illimited money ? followed Millicent.

- I don't know. I really didn't get a thought about it. Answered Daphne, her mood subdued but not sad.

- Potter and the others should have tried to keep it. At least for a moment. Do you imagine what we could have bought with it ? I would have got a huge mansion in Andalusia, south of Spain, with a room full of first edition fantasy books and another one just for my shoes. And an house elf, just to dust the former and polish the later. She said with an air saying she gave it a lot of thoughts.

(Millicent really didn't like school books. But took a liking to the ones describing stories, real or not of peoples. Mostly adventures and, alas, romance. Teen years are coming... Thank the founders she will never find the Twilight's series. Oh, before I forgot, Crabe tried the same as Goyle but with her reading choice with an alternative of questioning but similar ending. Now you know what you have to do to dodge this bullet. You're welcome).

- I would go with a collection of all the best brooms in the world. And some more to create my own full girls quidditch team, like the Holyhead Harpies. Oh, and that huge expansive wireless they promoted in the Daily Prophet last week. It's so powerful it could make the walls of your house shake. Said Pansy while looking at me with a questioning look.

- Me ? I would have bought some Stradivarius strings and kept playing. I said,  without stopping my move.

The girls went on about my family being so rich, with or without me adding to it personally, that it would not have made much difference for me. (Distant and aloof air for the win).

Daphne was the only one catching my gaze in her direction. She knew very well I wasn't thinking about the gold right now. My choice would have been the same as her.

(By the way, can you pass the word among you muggles to give us back the Stradivarius you stole ? Why do you think nobody among you can pull of making strings so perfects ? His family is one of ours. Go find the Maestro's stores located on Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, tell them I sent you).

The trolls told us they would have bought the brooms and the wireless (copied Pansy), a huge book-free house (copied Millicent, except for a small detail, yeah saw it coming), and LOTS of sweets, cakes, and food... I swear, bellies-bullies on legs with no brains.

I had to shush them out when they tried to bring out Voldemort's nickname in the discussion. And to only discuss about it in the common room. MORONS !

Are they stupid twenty four/seven or do they sleep at night ? Do they want us to be ostracized ? Even more than now ? Three houses against one. Are the maths too hard for you slugs-brains ?


After the sun went down, I couldn't not remember a scene that happened in professor Dumbledore's office two nights ago, I had been brought here by professor Snape.

 - I appreciate how you kept watch over Harry and his friends, Draco. He said, while looking and examining me.

I knew what he was waiting for.

- Thank you professor. I responded, taking out something from my pocket and placing it carefully on his desk, right next to it's copy. 

That's action brought the full scope of professor Snape focus on me. 

- It appears that your student switched the real philosopher's stone for this copy he prepared beforehand during Harry's and professor Quirrel's fight. 

On my demand, Professor Dumbledore provided me with a glass bowl and some water, in which I placed my stone. 

Soon the water went from colourless to almost cranberry like, tinted by the same ruby red as the stone. 

Lifting the stone from the bowl, I showed it to both of the professors. 

The stone was almost intact, but lost some of it's shine.

- The result is just tinted water with a slight of cranberry taste, sir. The die is in a small compartment inside, with tiny holes to allow the water to get in and out.

An inscription was now visible on my stone, proving it's authenticity :

JKR-HP™ Ref : NN7386, EAN 812370010226. 

Just like a common accessory sold in bulk in some stores. 

- I wanted to find what would annoy the most whoever stole it. 

- Does this number mean something ? Asked the director. 

- HP for Potter's capitals. The other three are randoms. So are the numbers. I answered, my attention drawn to that evening's newspaper. 

 

It showcased a picture of Mr Weasley, along with a chapter about his muggle's defence law proposition and the debate it provoked among the witches and wizards. 

- That man won't appreciate it sir. He must be really angry now. I said in disgust, getting a nod from professor Dumbledore. 

I knew what will occur now. I will have to mess up your vacations plans Harry.

Unleash the Kraken !

Sorry, but you won't get nice holidays... 

Don't try to pout or complain, you get the Kraken, I'm stuck with the Karen, and we will still both have it easier than your future fiancee. 


The day before we had to take the train back home, I was called to the headmaster's office again when all the others students were already asleep.

But that time, I wasn't called alone.

Showing her the way up to the stairs guarded by the ugly stone gargoyle (and not a gryphon, the movie lied), I whispered the password to it (Sherbet Lemon). Annoying my friend as she couldn't use this occasion to eavesdrop it.

Arriving at the end of the stairs, we heard some voices talking animatedly behind the door and knocked.

It didn't take long for professor Dumbledore to open it for us, letting us in and see Daphne's parents and sister. 

- Come in you two. We were just about to begin. Said professor Dumbledore going behind his desk.

Mr and Mrs Greengrass were sitting nervously, Astoria next to them. 

- As all the students must have already told their parents, it appears that our DADA teacher, Quirinus Quirrel, associated himself with Lord Voldemort. (the Greengrass shivered at that time). Their goal was to steal the philosopher's stone and resuscitate Lord Voldemort (same again) as soon as possible. With that in mind, it's creator Nicolas Flammel decided to destroy it. Now, for young Astoria here, the life elixir wouldn't help you cure your blood curse permanently. But it will help you go through your school years and some more, allowing us more time to research and find it's remedy.

He then took a crystal vial out of his pocket, placing it on the table. 

Astoria was looking at it with tears flowing from her eyes. The rest of the people present didn't fare better. We all understood that the years to come would be a battlefield. That it would bring forward hopes and deceptions. Despair. But Nicolas Flammel gift won us some time.

We would not waste it. 

Seeing my gaze on him and the size of the vial, professor Dumbledore added.

- Consuming this vial right now will be sufficient for you to go through the next years. As you're not trying to escape death by old age like Nicolas and his wife, you won't need more. A good luck sign in our direction. Merlin know to what lengths some people would go to steal it for their own advantage. 

What he said was a warning, against Voldemort. The Greengrass would not be swayed easily after that, but, we would have to keep what happened here a secret.


The last day passed and rushed the students like an F1 Grand Prix. Everybody was furiously packing, unpacking and checking lost and misplaced items in their rooms, common room or worst, the school. It wasn't strange to see flying furniture zooming through the air, summoned by the Accio spell.

The staff didn't forgot to give us our letter warning us that underage use of magic was prohibited. 

Too bad for them, my parents won't mind me using it at all. Geniuses have to practice to stay at the top of their game.

All students received their exam results.

It wasn't a surprise when I placed myself at the top of the first years. Ex aequo with both Hermione and Daphne.

Millicent and Pansy scored decent grades and would be praised by their families.

The trolls miraculously passed, thank to my coaching and a big nudge from our house-director.


In the evening, we were all seated in the Great Hall, waiting on princess Harry to arrive. 

All along the hall, pieces of green and silver were hanged. The biggest being the one behind the teacher's table, displaying a silver snake coiled on itself. 

A huge and heavy silence befall on the hall when he entered. It was then progressively interrupted by whispers more and more loud.

Luckily for him, Dumbledore entered soon. 

- Another year gone ! He said cheerfully. And I must trouble you with an old man’s wheezing waffle before we sink our
teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been !

Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were … you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts.

Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third,  Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw have four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two.

Huge waves of cheers and stamps broke out from our table. I could see Harry looking at me. 

- Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin, said Dumbledore. However, recent events must be taken into account.

The hall went very still. My housemates smiles faded a little, not knowing what was to come. I was sad that their efforts would be void. 

- Ahem, said Dumbledore. I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes…
First – to Mr Ronald Weasley …

And one sunburned radish to take off, one.

- … for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points.

The reds' cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver.

Dickhead Weasley could be heard telling the other Prefects.

- My brother, you know ! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall’s giant chess set ! 

He looked so proud. Not like the asshole and family traitor he will become in four years.

Professor Dumbledore commanded the silence from a wave of his hand. 

- Second – to Miss Hermione Granger … for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points.

Hermione buried her face in her arms, not able to face other persons and enjoy her fame. 

She's so cute. 

The reds were ecstatic, they had won a hundred points. 

- Third – to Mr Harry Potter … said Dumbledore. The room went deadly quiet… for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points.

My housemates' faces were literally of the same colour of our crest now. Many were glad only this tree went in the corridor. What would have happened if they were four ?

Wait for it guys. 

The headmaster raised his hand again. 

- There are all kinds of courage, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr Neville Longbottom.

Explosives cheers went on in the hall. Red, blue and yellow with joy, green with anger and deception.

For the first time in his life, Neville was celebrated as a hero.

- Which means, Dumbledore called over the storm of applause and rage, we need a little change of decoration.

With a clap of his hands, my house's defeat was proclaimed as the red and gold rose proudly everywhere in the hall.. 

Professor Snape congratulated professor McGonagall, even if he felt biter about the ordeal. 

Should I tell the winning team I should have got points too ?

Nah. 

Let's not go there. 

Professor Dumbledore would have to give them even more points otherwise. 

As the feast went on with three quarters of the hall joyful, I couldn't not think about our trip to come. 


At the moment of departure, Hagrid got to take us back with the boats to the Hogsmeade station. Giving Trevor back to Neville once again this year. (should have named him Michael Scofield)

We passed a nice and long uneventful time on the train. Mostly playing, eating, talking and having fun.

In London, the platform 9 and 3/4 was crowded and foggy that late afternoon when we finally arrived. The trolls moved all our trunks fast, pilling them against one of the platform's walls. 

You could see the old guard making the families pass through the gate in small groups. Which with the number of students, took quite a while. I will have to suggest to Grudge through my father that the M-o-M construct more gates, still in King's Cross, but at different emplacements in it. It would facilitate coming and going and lessen the risk of people seeing the families. Even with the spell preventing muggles to see us coming out of the wall, the current system had limits. 

While I explained that to my father, as we bid our farewell to my friends, I was able to see the golden trio.

The Weasleys were surrounding Harry and Hermione. Inviting them to stay at the burrows if canon could be trusted. 

Uncle eggplant was there. Neckless, petty, pouty and all of that as he had to take back Harry to his home. 

The other two Dursleys were behind him, hiding, or trying to. For it was an impossible task for cousin Baby-Cachalot. It may be possible if his mom stood in front of him side by side with his dad. You would have to check by yourself if you cared. 

The awkward presentation and conversation done, Harry's jailers took him with them.

Hermione's look showed disbelief in front of their behaviours.

While I was thinking about my summer holidays, ready to go back to the manor by apparating with my father and mother when I launched a last look to Harry, who had my patented smirk on his face.

 I will ask you for my fee back at school.

Good luck Dudley.

 

You better watch out,

You better not shout, 

You better not pout,

I'm telling you why,

Your bully is coming to town. 

10