26. Gathering Exp.
875 7 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rudy [pov]

“Jacket?”

“Check.”

“Gloves?”

“Check.”

“Hat?”

“Sigh, check.”

Look at me… I’m all nice and cuddly…

What am I a teddy bear?!

“Good!” She proclaims, fists at her hips.

Proud of yourself aren’t you?

“Kiss?”

I blush.

“Kiiiiss~” bending slightly, she brushes loose strands of hair out of her way, over her ear, exposing her cheekbone, before pointing at it. “Kiss?” She enunciates.

Standing on my tippy-toes, I kiss her on the cheek. My face feeling quite hot at the moment.

“He he, check~” she says, flipping an imaginary check off an imaginary board, before kissing me on my cheeks, one and two, for good measure. “Alright, now go out and have some fun.”

“Mmh…”

What else could I say?

I made my way out the door, and down the stairs.

We’re at the tail end of the winter months now, but we’re still sleeping together. After a couple of slow months, progress has been made in multiple ways. I’ve been putting my time to good use; training hard, Sylphy mostly, as well as figuring out a few adventurer tips here and there. I even learned a little about this region's geography.

I mean it’s something I probably should have done from the beginning, but come on geography? Next thing you’re going to do is tell me that I should learn speech and health.

During this time period I’ve managed to strengthen my bonds. Mostly just Sylphy and Zeny, but still, progress. That said, I can’t take much credit for Zenith’s progression. It would be disingenuous. Rather, then saying I progressed with her, it would be more accurate to say she’s progressed with me. She’s been exceptionally kissy lately.

Hormones?

Regardless, or rather because of it, we’ve gotten exceptionally closer.

It was simple at first; a kiss at awakening, a kiss goodnight. But it slowly changed over time. Then it was a kiss welcome back, a kiss good job, and now… whenever she’s in the mood. Which is to say often.

Not that I dislike it, but it catches me off guard.

…and I think she knows it.

This is just a guess, and it has nothing to do with her smug smile, but… I swear she gets a rise out of seeing me blush.

And they say I’m expressive.

You damn kiss demon!

This really isn't helping my mother-complex…

So yeah… an improvement?

My… confusing feelings aside, Zenith seems rather jubilant, so I don’t mind playing along.

My parents in my old life loved me, but they weren’t particularly affectionate. Hugs and kisses were just something not done. Hell, I wasn’t one to ask for them anyways, so it didn’t matter. This time around things are particularly different. Momma is very affectionate, and I really don’t want to let her down.

That and… Blonde Beauty, you know?

Banzai?

Well, if everyone is happy, enduring a couple seconds of embarrassment is a small price to pay.

Although that smug smile of hers makes me want to get her back.

You’re adorable, but don’t think that absolves you from payback. I’ll just hold off on it for another five months.

“Now then, from one kiss demon to another,” I clasp the door handle, before a voice catches me by surprise.

“Master Rudeus, your provisions are ready.”

Turning to it, it’s Lilia, with snacks and kite in hand.

The always dutiful maid has made an appearance.

“Thanks,” I grabbed the kite from her.

“It is my pleasure Master Rudeus,” she makes a small bow, before walking away.

“Ha…” I breathe out.

Dealing with her has gotten easier, I think, but it’s still awkward.

It helps that I haven’t seen her getting closer with Paul in any way or form. During these cumbersome months, in which Zeny, Sylphy, and I have seen a positive correlation, Paul and Lilia have seen a negative correlation.

Good riddance.

The last thing that bastard needed is Lilia as his prize for cheating.

Like hell, impartial party.

Although I hate to do it, ok maybe not that much, but if need be, I would definitely use my influence on Zenith to make sure that Mistress Lilia remains an impossibility.

Didn’t need to though. The problem solved itself.

It seems those two can’t stand each other. Which is good, but overall it does mean one thing. In this household the only one that is in a good mood is Zenith. I’m better these days, but I won’t say I feel like a million bucks.

“I’m gonna need to do something about them soon. Argh, this is going to be… frustrating,” I scratch at my scalp wildly.

There is a thin line between love, and hate. The fact that you can hate someone so much means that you cared enough about them once just as hard. The worst thing to feel for someone isn’t hate, but indifference.

Even if my feelings are… complicated. Lilia is going to be a mother. Zenith is going to be a mother, and being in a good mood is what’s best for a pregnancy. And even though they haven’t said a thing, I do remember they were good friends before a man got between them.

Hell, they might as well be sisters.

So, the fact that they can be this hurt for each other means they were really important to the other. Thus I will do something about it. I can’t be Zenith’s ‘only’ pillar of support, especially with my future absence, and Lilia… if she’s not close to Paul… who is her pillar of support?

Everyone needs somebody.

I should receive an award for all my behind the scenes work.

And the academy award for best son goes to… Rudeus Greyrat!

…It would be easier fighting monsters.

“Speaking of monsters, I have a little one to train,” I said to empty air.

Putting it out of mind, I decide that there is very little I can do at the moment, and the answer wasn’t just going to fall on my lap, so might as well redirect that energy to someone that needs it.

Let’s focus on the young girl, who only gives me slight headaches from time to time, rather than the woman that gives me heartbreaking pain.

…self-deprecating jokes aren’t helping.

///

Thrust.

Block. Strike.

“Hnn!”

Thrust. Thrust.

Counter. Hit.

“Ahn,”

A hit once more.

Upon the same hill she nuzzled attacked me once again. We are training.

Kind of…

Keeping to my promise, we have been tackling the many skills she would need for adventuring. At least what I think she’ll need.

One of them being the way of the sword, but we didn’t stop there, we’ve also tackled healing magic, monster logic 101, and cartography, all good. As well as miscellaneous skills like pitching a tent, and cooking.

Work in progress that last one, as well as the cartography thing, but it’s not like we’re going to be pirates.

Do I look like Sanji to you?

There's also Toki to that list, but… it’s been kind of a bust.

I got on Paul’s case about using terms like wham, and kablow, but the truth of the matter is that that is as good a description as any. It’s heavily instinctual. There is no ‘feel a tingly feeling in your back,’ and let it flow through you, or open up your gate, or even a rudimentary explanation like extend muscles ‘a’ while extending muscle ‘b’ to perform said action. Nope, none of that, just feel.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

Basically.

“Ow…”

I stare at a young girl rubbing her butt in pain.

She’s still getting used to getting hit.

An essential part about sparring is familiarizing yourself with pain. Once you can get used to getting hit, you can focus on never getting hit again.

I do hope I’m not overdoing it.

For a moment I wondered if I was going too fast, and maybe this is too soon, but after a couple minutes of sparring she proved me wrong. So rather than just going through the forms, we’ve expedited our schedule.

Girl learns quickly.

In fact, she’s been better than fine.

She’s Grrreat!

Ahem! Anyways~

Normally we would still be going through the motions, as her body learns the forms properly.

That was a short time period.

Last month I was convinced I was just going to teach Sylphy the basic forms of the Water God style. That I was just going to train her to an extent, and buy me some time, ‘till I figure out what I could really train her in. I thought it was going to be easy.

Unfortunately, fortunately? She learns fast.

What I thought would take a couple of months, turned into a couple of weeks, and now we’re here.

The girl really took to it like a fish to water.

The power of a heroine can not be underestimated!

Maybe I have a talent for teaching?

That must be it! I must be a genius!

Ha! If only…

Usually a beginner would hesitate, or move slowly through the forms as she thinks. She’s doing quite well.

Buuuuut… well, butt.

Strike.

“Owie!”

Sylphie rubs her butt after I ‘bop' it, with my wooden blade. “Why do you keep hitting my butt?!”

“Would you rather I aimed for your head?”

I’m not being harsh on her, when I strike, healing magic or no healing magic, I do try and aim at the softer parts. Such as; her stomach, thighs, or butt.

She puffs her cheeks.

Don’t look at me like that, I’m immune to your charm. I have a plus ten mental resistance!

She’s fine. A little sore, but she’ll live.

Sylphy’s frustrations aside, her talent is high, but she still has a ways to go. She learns fast, without a doubt, but just because she’s learned a few things doesn’t mean she know how to apply it. There's a reason people value experience over everything else.

“Hmm… haya!” She tries to strike from a blindside.

I dodge.

And a swing at her butt.

"Uuuh!" She wobbles away waking funnily, hands on her butt.

What’s that they say? Experience is the greatest teacher. Also, why are you screaming? You think you’re a shonen protagonist?

She turns, making a swing, and I block once more, sliding off the retaliation, one step to the left, a twist of the pommel, and…

Bop. I striked in retaliation.

“Ow!” She rubs the top of her head. “I thought you weren’t going to aim for the head?!”

“My finger slipped. Also, no screaming. Screaming is for exercises, and distractions. Not actual battle.”

“What about sparring?”

“Hmm… good point, no screaming for sparring either.”

“Are… are you just making things up?!”

“Nope, that’s a real thing.”

Probably. Who knows.

Pretty sure there's at least one swordsman out there that has a spartan teaching style of treating every spar like a real battle.

Hmm should have gone with that. Makes me sound wise. Wait a minute! Does that mean that line is bullshit, and it’s just mentors being lazy?

“Liar!” she yells.

“What did I say about screaming? Anyways, let's take a break. I’m sure your bruises are bothering you by now. Let's take care of them.”

Don’t let the bruises fool you. She’s progressing rapidly. Maybe it’s the fact that she’s been watching my sparring for half a year now, or maybe she really is a genius, but in her one month of training, she’s probably around the same level I was during my first six months.

So yeah, fast progress.

That said, I was splitting my time between sword training and magic, so there's that. Yeah, the difference isn’t that bad… yeah.

Nope, I’m not jealous of her… nope, not at all… you’re jealous!

Damn, geniuses…

So this is how Roxy felt. My apologies

Her prodigious nature aside, we’ve also practiced our basics. The most important part about training.

Recuperation.

Turning to look at the young girl, sitting down, and calming her breathing, getting ready to cast a spell, “Healing,” she casts, surrounding her palm in a green glow, before rubbing at her injuries. “Uwuwu,” she whimpers.

“Arggg…” she groaned.

She’s really pulling at my heartstrings.

“Um… are you alright?”

I do try to hold back. I’m not activating my reinforcement spell, or using my toki, and make sure to pull my punches(swings?), but she’s still a young girl.

“Hmm? Yeah I’m good. It’s just hard to concentrate on a spell on the areas that hurt. Can’t Rudy give me a massage?”

Yeah-No. Not a chance. I’m not falling for that you little kiss devil; you Chloe Von Einzbern.

After that gentle… wake-up call, I know that if I give you an inch, you’ll take a mile.

Our relationship is fine. She hasn’t tried to pull anything on me after that, and, as far as I know, she doesn’t know I woke up at the end. So except for a couple days of blushing on her part.

…and a bit on mine.

We are right as rain.

I understand Lilia’s feelings a little better now.

Dealing with a child’s affections on a day by day basis, it has been…troublesome. And… I was more than your typical child. Sylphy’s childhood crush, can’t compare to my infatuation with Lilia.

So, if Sylphy is giving me a headache, then to Lilia I was…

“...”

“I must have driven her Mad.”

“Rudy?”

“Sorry… I zoned out there for a moment. But no, no massage for you. We’ve been over this. You need to train your healing magic on yourself in case of an emergency. It’s good training.”

That’s my story and I’m keeping to it.

She sulks.

Deal with it. Sparring is about dealing with pain, just as much as it is inflicting it.

It also helps as good training, as she learns the in’s and outs of healing magic. Her healing process is a little slower than mine, but after a little analysis, I realized that one's sense of pain correlates with one’s improvement in healing magic.

Who knew?!

Not me, that’s for sure. Turns out I have a freakishly high pain tolerance.

At least that’s the reason I figure Sylphy is having a harder time with the healing spell than I. Didn’t think about it too much until I started teaching it, but I realized I have a very intimate relationship with pain. Whether it be from Paul’s former sparrings, my own training, or you know… dying, but my sense of pain must have skewered somewhere down the line.

Still, helped out with learning healing magic, sooo… every cloud has its silver lining and all that.

“Rudy is a cheater… why won’t you let me use magic?”

“Now who's a cheater, you cheat character.”

She scrunches her brow.

“Besides, you won’t improve in the way of the sword, unless you train your basics first. Then we can mix it with magic.”

She narrows her eyes.

“You’re not lying to me right?”

How rude.

Not everything that comes out of my mouth is bullshit. Some of it is highly inspirational material… that I quoted from a previous life.

“I’m not. Believe it. Magic can only help you so much in direct combat.”

She tilts her head at me before speaking, “can’t we just blow anyone up?”

Did she…

“Sylphy come here.”

“Ah, sure.” she gets off her sitting position, and walks to me, tilting her head sideways.

Quickly, I engulf her into my arms, and give her a firm squeeze, lifting her off the ground.

“Eeeep!” she yells at my sudden action.

I’m sooo proud of you!

I couldn’t help it.

Look at this little loli terrorist. ‘Can’t we just blow them up?’ So adorable~

I couldn’t help but eat-up my little cute exploding-maniac.

Controlling myself, after that little bout of madness, I let her down gently. Looking upon her blushing form, her ears are flapping excitedly, a humming bird if I ever saw one, and eyes darting left and right, as she avoids meeting mine.

Must… resist… teasing…

“Ahem, anyways… As I was saying… no, you can’t just blow anyone up."

I mean we can… but that’s besides the point.

"Magic is powerful, but the most powerful magic, the blowing up kind takes time. In combat the best magic to use is the shortest; beginner, and intermediate. Maybe advanced, but it depends on the situation, as for saint rank and above… well… maybe in the future.”

She’s confused again.

“Alright, here, let me show,” Maneuvering around, I made to stand in front of her, my figure perpendicular to her, as my face and arm point away. My arm horizontal to the ground, pointed at a tree several yards away, and I started casting to prove my points.

“So we’re both strong enough to summon up the elements right?” I twist my wrist in the air manipulating an icicle to come into being, then a large wind, then a fireball, “but chantless magic lacks the proper ‘oomph’ that most spells do, right? Here,” I thrust my hand in the air, and a wind blast is shown.

It was basically just a strong wind.

“‘That’ is essentially a party trick. Concentrate a little bit, and we can make it stronger, but when a sword is coming to your face, you need to concentrate as much in the moment as anything else.”

She nods her head.

“Good, then there's this,” I lift my palm up once more and thrust it out, “Wind Blast,” a stronger wind is pointed from my fist. This time with considerable force behind it.

“Stronger right?”

She waves her head vigorously.

Standing up, she scurries her way quickly to my side, standing parallel to me, mimicking my stance, and throwing her fist to the side, “Wind Blast,” she hollers. A strong wind is formed as well, and blows in that direction.

She turns her head to me,  her doe-eyes beaming, her ears flapping.

“Yes, yes,” I patted her head. “Good job.”

“He he~”

“And finally there's this…” I stopped petting her, much to her disappointment, stepping off a foot, giving us some space, and prepared a big one. Gathering my mana, and mimicking my previous poze, I chant. “Supple spirits of wind and princesses of the winds that blow through the heavens, sway all that travel thy domain with unyielding force, Wind Blast.”

POOF!

That was an intermediate spell.

A massive wind was created. The winds bellowing, and blowing straight in the direction decided, lifting the snow that lay before me, and leaving a noticeable trail in its wake, revealing the ground. There now lays a notable trail that leads all the way to a tree some twenty meters away.

“Cool right?” I faced her. “Wait, why was I doing this?”

“You were showing me why we can’t go blowing everything up?”

Right right, explosion magic(read: lightning).

“Right, that. As I was saying, casting magic takes time, and the more powerful the spell the longer it takes. ‘That,’” pointing behind me with my thumb, and tilting my neck, I show what I just did, “was an intermediate spell. That was about ten seconds. Now, how many seconds does it take for me to reach you?”

“...”

“The answer is one. Now how many hits do you think I can get in, in ten seconds?”

“...a lot…”

“Good job. Ten stars. But yeah, strong magic takes time. Intermediate magic is about ten seconds cast, with a second delay. As for saint level magic and above, you know, ‘blowing up,’ magic. That takes about thirty seconds, with a ten second delay. That,” I pointed once more. “That is why we don’t blow someone up.”

She nods her head.

“No reason to fret though, remember,” I pointed my hand out. “Wind blast.” Throwing a gust of wind. “Single line incantations can still blow a grown man off his feat, and if you’re creative…” I throw my hands and concentrate, as I’m about to gather multiple elements. “Earth spear. Ice Shard. Fireball.” three different attacks are sent at the tree in the distance. “You only need a little bit of magic to do a lot of damage. So I guess it’s more accurate to say, it’s not that we can’t go blowing everyone up, it's that we shouldn’t. ‘This,’” I make an ice shard in hand, before throwing it to the tree, “is simply more efficient.”

With great powers comes great responsibility.

Auntie Roxy taught me that once. Right before a mugger shot her down Crime alley.

Hmm, did I get a few details wrong? No, that can’t be the case. I’m a genius after all.

“Yosh, I got it Rudy, but… does that mean, we won’t ever use saint level magic?”

I am both proud, and terrified.

I’m prerrified.

“Well… I wouldn’t say that. Remember the thirty second wait time? We can’t do it in a one on one fight, but… if we had a partner,” I point to her, then back at me, “theeeen, the wait time becomes irrelevant, and one of us can bide time while the other prepares it. So we could blow a mass of monsters or something.”

Her eyes sparkled at my saying. Ears flapping excitedly.

“But first we have to work on your one-on-one capabilities, or else you’ll never be able to buy me, or someone else, the time they need, sooo…“It might hurt at times, but it’s for your future. While I’m covering your back, from some monsters, you should be able to heal yourself, before we fight together. Healing magic is the most important magic for adventuring.”

Besides, it does make for good training.

“You’re right! I’ll do my best Rudy,” she gathers her fist to her chest; a fire in her eyes.

“Of course I’m right. Now take a breather, heal, and tell me when you’re ready.”

She nods her head. Sits down cross legged and steadies her breathing, as she heals.

Sylphy used Recover.

“Alright, I’m ready,” Sylphy stated.

It’s super effective.

“You sure?”

She nods her head.

“Alright, here I come,” exploding off my toes, and appearing before her face. Followed by thrusting my weapon at her.

“Unn!”

I hit her shoulder.

I look at her, closing her eyes as my stick is falling on her once again.

“OW!”

Ouch.

Beat, heal, repeat.

Hope no one calls child protection services.
///

“Huff… huff… ha…” An hour later Sylphy is laying on the floor, sweaty, and breathing with difficulty. Battered, exhausted, and a little dirty I wonder if I should push her to her limit, or not.

A small wave of guilt washes over me.

“This might take a while,” I look down at her laying under a tree, taking a break. Getting over the pain threshold is also part of the training, but I wonder If I might be overdoing it.

That said… this is life and death matter for the future.

It’s a shame she was unable to access her toki, but then again, it’s still early in her training, so you’ll never know?

“Soo… ready for round three?”

Her ears droop.
///

“Rasengan!” I burst into a tree. “Hmm, needs work.”

Needless to say, I was not tha sadistic.

Yet.

After everything, my heart still works, good for me! And thought better of pushing the girl through the ringer. I’ve been on that side of the training pole before, and know better than anyone that a little rest does the body wonders. Just because she mimics me, is no reason for her to develop my bad habits.

Speaking of which… I’m blowing up trees again.

Moving back to the forest, I went back to working on my Rasengan. Working on Sylphy’s techniques day in and day out she’s made many improvements, but… I feel like the bridge is shortening, and I’m losing some of my credibility.

If I’m to keep being her teacher, I’m going to need to double my efforts in my own training less I somehow ‘over’ train her, and she surpasses me.

I can’t get lazy now.

Hence I’m here at the edge of the forest, practicing the Rasengan, and… well… picking a fight with monsters.

Yeah… I definitely couldn’t invite Sylphy here.

I’m being a little bit reckless, but progress requires risks, and I won’t be able to teach monster applications if I don’t know myself. Soooo… obviously, I need to know what I’m doing before I teach her. A modicum of risk was needed. I’m completely prepared.

Probably.

One; I made sure to bring my kite with me, in case I needed a speedy retreat.

Two; I brought an actual blade with me. Had one buried underneath a tree just for this occasion.

And three, just in case… I made sure to go to the edge of the forest close to the village’s watchtower so that in case the danger was higher than I thought, I could make a scramble to it, and to safety.

Just as a precaution of course.

I’m all prepared! That said…

“It sure is peaceful…” I looked around the snowy canopies around me.

I came here an hour ago, but I’ve yet to see some action, despite supposably the border brimming with monsters.

At this rate I’ll die of boredom more than anything else.

“Bzzz.”

“Ow,” a wasp stings me. Barely paying it any attention, I wave my mana around, freezing it, and throwing it against the trees. “What the hell, you’d think the snow would kill them off by now?”

Despite the cold weather I’d run into a few wasps here, and there, and have been throwing them against a tree, waiting for some monsters to appear.

“Rasengan!” I burst into a tree. The silvery wisp wall burst against the tree, giving it some scarring. “Better, where the hell are all the monsters? Do they hibernate? Figures, the one time I go out to looking for a fight, it’s peaceful.”

Being aware that monsters are sensitive to mana, and the Rasengan being a technique that heavily manipulates it, I thought I could kill two bir-wait! I thought I could kill two wasps with one stone.

See what I did there?

But all I've gotten is a few vermin.

“Bzzz, Bzzz, Bzzz” three more vermin, start flapping in. I lament my bad luck.

Aren’t these a little bigger than normal?

“How annoying. Can’t you see I’m trying to do something? Why don’t you make yourself useful, and call on your monster equivalent War wasps, while I continue Improving my Rasengan.”

Making a small whirlwind, I gather the wasps, and throw their bodies against the tree with its brethren.

The Rasengan technique I’ve been working on never quite became what I wanted it to. It can only take so much pressure, from the outside, before bursting. It’s like a really strong unstable bubble, but a bubble nonetheless

Rasengan, trace on, that’s the problem with these fictional techniques in their respective universes, they are techniques based on that world's logic. They have legitimacy in their own world, but in this world, even if it is a supernatural world, it doesn’t follow the same logic. Therefore I have to ‘find’ that logic. There have been complications.

I look at my hand. It’s red.

The Rasengan I’ve developed has a little bit of splash damage.

The amount of energy I put into it combined with its ability to self-harm, makes me wonder if the cons outweigh the pros.

But still, boyhood dreams are hard to grow out of. Guess only time will tell. Until the point the cons reach the level of suicidal, I’ll keep it going.

“Ice Shard,” I manipulated the condensation, made a small ice shuriken, and, performing a throwing motion, cast it at a tree.

Thud. It struck.

Depending on the opponent that could be a lethal maneuver. That took about 20 times less mana than a Rasengan, and almost no concentration. As powerful as the Rasengan technique may be, an ice shard to someone's jugular could just as easily get the job done, less they have Toki.

Maybe I should just eliminate the Rasengan?

Then again. “Rasengan,” I utter, manipulating the mana, but bringing in the water element this time, and holding it… and continuing to hold it, until… a small ice sphere is in my hand.

I might have to take it out of my combat menu… for now, but I don’t think I’ll stop myself from training with it. My control is just superb. Improving several times over the course of my training my control has improved several times over.

I spin the ice ball on my finger.

If it wasn’t for the Rasengan, the intricacies of magic creation; like ice statues and shurikens, would have been lost to me.

“Perhaps I should take up pottery.”

“Bzzz, BZZZ, BZZZ, BZZZ!” Bugs come from around behind some trees.

“Is there some kind of nest, or-” annoyed, I turned around noticing a noticeable amount of wasps coming my way. All of the same color, but some of them bigger than the ones I just took out, about a foot in length.

“Well… that’s something. Now that I remember, not all monster variants look like monsters, some can be mistaken for animals. Which means those are... Winter Whistles… neet." I remember reading about them in Zenith’s book. "Didn't think we were that far north."

They’re bigger in person.

…and they have the ability to fly.

“Well… careful what you wish for I guess,” I lament on my good luck.

“BZZZ, BZZZ, BZZZ, BZZZ…” Their annoying buzzing comes in as they start coming at me.

“Whatever, come at me. This daddy will teach you some manners, Ice Shard.”

“BZZZ, BZZZ,”

“Yeah, yeah, Icy Wind,” I casted at them.

It’s not very effective.

It diverts their path, making them miss their lounge at me, but the rest keep coming at me.

“Right, winter… they're resistant to cold weather, annoying,” I start running through the trees, using them for cover as I move. “Fireball,” I cast.

Splat.

It worked, one popped, and three others received splash damage, and… they separated?

“BZZZ, BZZZ… BZZZ, BZZZ,” The remaining pack starts flying at me again. I dodge using the trees, and-

“Shit,” a wasp flew at my face. “Fireball!”

Alright, that was unex-

I dodge another one coming from a different angle.

There's no denying it now. They're doing hit and run tactics, keeping the attacks flowing.

“These things are bugs, they're barely supposed to have brains, let alone have tactics.”

“BZZZ, BZZZ… BZZZ, BZZZ,” they buzz.

“Yeah, yeah. I heard you the first time, Fireball,” I cast. Continuing the run, and blasting them. Again, and again.

Splat. Splat. Splat.

I’m getting repeated kills.

Better brains don’t make them any less of an idiot, a bug is a bug, but… where the hell are they coming from?

Splat. Splat. Splat.

At this rate, I might actually run out of mana.

“Hnn!” a small pang of pain hits my side.

I don’t need to look at it, to know it’s stuck on me.

“Fireball,” at the pack. Then I grab the wings- “Son-of-a…” I rip them and throw the body screeching as it soars in the air without its wings.

Well, that was a pain in the… hands. Its blades are razor sharp.

I kept activating the Rasengan, so I could attract monsters, but I might have attracted too many. “Trace on,” I cast a green glow over my form, giving me a form of physical protection.

In retrospect, I should have led with that, but it sort of left my mind when one foot wasps were flying at my face.

I look at my bleeding palm.

“Mistakes were made,” I continued running, this time making a run for the tower.

“Bzzz…” they start trailing me. Their razor wings nicking me, but doing little against me. The green glow of small bops happens everytime they strike my skin.

“Tch, Rasengan!” I growled in frustration.

Splat.

It kills the one it makes contact with, while blowing the others to the wind, they start flying, and…

What?

“...what are they doing?”

After casting it, they start flying at random locations, with a small hive? Of wasps attacking a tree, a few flying away, and a few on the ground twitching their legs, as if they just got hit by bug spray.

“Bzzzt, Bzzzt, Bzzzt...” they continue off for a minute before, halting for a moment, hovering in place, and then coming back to me.

“Ok… Well, that was interesting… is it?”

A strategy starts forming in my head.

Let’s test it.

I continue running to the tower, just to be on the safe side. “Ice Shard, Ice Shard…” they react normally, and dodge, or try to employ tactics.

Why Ice over fire? It’s easier to manipulate the elements around you, then casting new ones. They're resistant to ice, but not to sharp objects. I cast as I go. I want to save my reserves, in case Murphy's laws start kicking in.

Annoying, but… let’s see...

“Rasengan…” this time I put a good amount of my reserves in this, they start coming at me. I aim at the center one.

Splat. One dies, and…

“Bzz, Bzt, Bzzz…”

They start flying around erratically in different directions.

So that’s how it is~ A bug is still a bug~

I don’t know how they have the mind to come up with tactics, but not the mind to see through this. But they can’t see me, or more accurate to say, they see too much.

Monster logic 101: Number, etc; Monsters are extremely attuned with mana, and whether or not a beast can cast a spell, all monsters, in some sense, can sense mana. That’s how I was going to get their attention in the first place.

But this technique, it’s too much. They can’t see. They're just attacking blindly.

“Well, I’m not taking this advantage for granted, sooo...” I slowly draw out my blade.

Thrust, thrust, thrust…

And start making work of them.

Splat. Splat. Splat.

Several minutes later they're all dead.

“Whew, well… just as planned.”

What? Who's going to disagree with me? Not these guys that’s for sure.

I poke a corpse with my sword.

“BBBZZZZZZ!”

“Ok, what… now?” My neck titls up at a slightly bigger Winter Whistle makes an appearance. It’s the size of a small child.

A.k.a; me.

An alpha, or in bug terms, a queen, has made an appearance. And it’s pissed.

“Makes sense now… I dub thee Murphy,” I start running.

Going through the forest we dash through the trees as my bodies glimmering green defenses start going up as I go, the beast at my rear, swaying around and shooting air bullets at me, and trying to cut me with its wings, or pierce me with its pincers.

Annoying. It has no intention of letting me rest. It doesn’t help that it’s fast. However…

A bug is still a bug.

Wait for it, wait for it, and…

Pivot.

“BBBZZZZZ,” It screeches by my ear, as it flies by, it’s stinger missing, it’s wings hitting, and drawing blood, and... I aim to take it's in turn.

“...”

Time freezing, I forget everything, and it's just the two of us, its body almost frozen in my eye, as I aim at its head, and...

Thrust. Stab through the side of the head, as the body falls to the ground.

Spasming a few moments, it lays still a moment after.

“Just to be sure, Fireball,” I casted, burning the body.

I have enough knowledge about bugs to know that they don’t always die right away when you cut off the head. I’m not gonna die, because I let my guard down at the last second. Best to be safe than sorry.

“Plop…”

Several disgusting pops later, and it’s finally dead.

“Whew, that was intense. That said, I definitely didn’t make that easy on myself, that was definitely harder than it had to be,” I talk to myself. “Back in the woods talking to myself. All I need is a cute elf coming around the corner, and telling me she wants to be friends,” I turn my head.

Nothing happens.

“Figures... Monsters sure, but maidens, nah. Then again,” I noticed the vermin around me, “it’s probably for the best. Well, guess I’ll call it a day.”

I stand up and get ready to go home.

Whoosh. Thud.

Before an arrow strikes a tree a few feet to my side.

Ah, come on!

Jumping to the side, I gather my reserves, and get ready to fight one more time, cursing the fact that I tempted fate, and waiting for another attack.

…and waiting… and waiting…

And nothing happens.

Great, a sniper.

Wondering where the arrow came from. I make an Ice mirror, tilting it from around the corner, and taking a peek.

Standing behind a tree for so long, and having my reserves up, I start getting anxious, as I wonder if the sniper is just camping out there waiting for his moment. Before turning my head, and noticing a note attached to the arrow in the tree.

“What the…”

I hope I’m not wrong about this.

Whoosh.

I jump at the arrow, a magical wind pushing me faster, and snatching the note from the tree, before running to cover, and opening it, and…

Became highly embarrassed about this situation immediately afterward.

“Ah,” calming down, I walk back out to the open, and stand in the direction where the arrow came from. I take the note from my hand and wave at the tower in the horizon, acknowledging I read it. I bow my head in thanks, followed by a pose of me pointing to the sky as the note instructed, and get ready to go home.

“Well, that’s enough fun for one day.”
///

Laws [pov]

“Did that boy just dance?” Geralt questioned me.

“Hmm, who knows, children do the oddest things...”

“I suppose… and the reason we did nothing was because…” he questioned.

“He looked like he had everything handled. Didn’t know if he needed any help. You know, son of a knight and all that,” I answered.

It has nothing to do with the fact that I wanted him to sweat a bit, before I rescued him.

“True, he did surprisingly well, you know, for a noble.”

“True,” I admitted.

It’s almost unfortunate.

I don’t mind saving him, but is it too much to ask for at least a few tears?

Then again…

“I wonder what my daughter has to say?” I admit.

“Sure sure, here,” he passed me a drink. “Nothing better to pass the time after a good show than a couple of drinks,” Geralt says.

“I don’t think your wife will like that,” I say.

“Are you going to tell her?” he questions.

“...”

I grab the drink. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.”

“What yah wrote anyway?” he asks.

“Oh, standard worried parent stuff. To go away, or else I’ll tell his father.”

“Hmm… that’s good.” Geralt sips a drink.

I just made sure he doesn’t do anything stupid. I wonder if should tell his father anyway…
///

Dear Rudeus Greyrat,

What in a dragon’s maw are you doing here?! No, more importantly, my daughter better not be anywhere around you right now! Do you know where you’re at? There are monsters out here! Now get going, before I mistake you for a monster and put an arrow in your butt. Also, when you’re done reading this note, make a wave over here, and point to the sky as a sign that Sylphy isn’t here, and safe.

P.S. I’m gonna ask her what you’ve been doing today, and if I don’t like it , I’m telling your father where you were.

PPS. Keep your hands away from my daughter.

Not Sincerely yours; Laws Dragonroad.

29