28. Matters of the Heart
933 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rudy[pov]

“I wouldn’t do it?”

“Hmm, how about this one?”

“Maybe~”

“Yosh, I got it!”

“How bold!” I declare.

She pulls a block from the bottom of a tower of blocks, and…

Clank!

The Jenga tower comes falling down.

Another day, another game. Right now we’re in the middle of one of our games. Jenga specifically. Needing something to do to combat the everyday boredom that is our lives, I felt the need to invent a few games from earth to help combat it.

Well… less invented, and more… ah… ‘repurposed,’ yeah that’s the word.

Copyright? Never heard of it.

Anyways, it the passing day it was becoming increasingly obvious, at least to me, that Zenith was becoming… increasingly bored out of her goddamn mind. Needless to say I was going to do something about that, and did.

Hence the games.

Finding some free time, I started… repurposing games from my old life, and started bringing them to her. It was a challenge at first, but she became quite fond of them. Some of them are a little too costly to make, but other’s not so much.

Hence Jenga.

This is just speculation…

But… I think she was planning on monopolizing me. I’m not sure, but with me having more time than usual, and the cold weather cutting into my training and teaching, it was a fair conclusion.

Too bad it was wrong.

Unfortunately for me, Laws already had me busy running his errands as well as a few things.

Damn Law. Down with the Po-Po.

But yeah… I didn’t have as much free time as she wanted.

Increasingly bored, increasingly needy. It’s funny how our roles have reversed. Where once I would struggle getting out of bed, because lazy bones and all that, now she’s the one snuggling tightly.

Fu fu fu. How does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot, Zeny. Mua ha ha, join the dark side, embrace the bed, become the bed, let yourself be engulfed into its folds and join the round table of Hikimmori fanatics.

I joke, but I get it. It’s cold, quiet, boring, and above all… the loneliness… it gets to you.

“A-ahhh! It fell down!” Zenith complains. “How did it even occur to you to make this?”

Needless to say, I did a good job taking her mind off it.

“What can I say, your son is a genius?”

“Now, now, don’t get ahead of yourself. It’s just a pile of blocks.”

Just a pile of Blocks! I’ll Have you kno-

Nah, even as a joke in my head, I can’t say it. It’s just a pile of blocks. How Jenga ever became a game I’ll never know.

“True, but it was still fun wasn’t it?”

“I suppose. Rudy sure does have a gifted mind, to think up so many games in such a little time.”

“He he, thanks,” I rub my head at her praise.

Too bad I'm not worthy of it.

Poker, chess, checkers, Uno, and of course Jenga. Their not exactly original ideas.

I will have to snuggle with her to ease my guilty conscience.

Funny enough, the word Uno still translates to one in this universe, so I didn't have to think hard for that one. Can’t play it yet unfortunately as it’s not exactly a two player game.

I mean we could, but… playing Uno between two players just sounds infuriating. I skip, I skip, I skip, plus four, plus four, plus… twenty. It feels like a test of one’s sanity than anything else.

However…

There is a third member we could invite… someone who is just a few feet away.

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Yeah… that is my underlying objective behind these games. I’m trying to make a meeting ground where I could have them both in the same room.

It was not successful.

“Alright, Zenith, it's time for me to go.”

“Already?! B-But we’ve only played four games,” she pulled out a board game. We still haven’t played the game; Life? You told me about it.” She holds a wooden board to her chest.

I think I’ve played the game of life one too many times.

Also, it’s incomplete. Ink is expensive, and I ran out during its creation. I also have yet to write scenarios for it, as the original game didn’t translate well.

“Sorry, but all good things must come to an end. Also, that game isn’t ready yet. I still need to add some squares.”

“Alright…” she pouts, squeezing the board to her.

“You can always ask Lilia. I’m sure if-”

She scrunches her face in displeasure.

Still not their huh.

“…you and Lilia have been talking lately, haven’t you?” She asks… but not really.

“Yeah… we talk from time to time. That’s fine?”

“Hmph…” she turns her head.

Are… are you pouting? No, wait scratch that, did you just pout, and turn your head on me?!

“Does it bother you that much?”

I mean I know it does, but give something to work with. On a scale of 1-10 you are a…?

“Maybe…” she looks at me. “If I told you it bothered me, would you stop?”

“…”

“Never mind,” she sighs, dropping the board to her side.

“Sorry.”

“It’s fine. Besides,” she lowered her voice, “Lilia probably needs someone to talk to as well...” she mutters.

Heh~ Well how about that~

Four out of ten it is.

And that’s what I love about her. Despite everything, she still cares.

A weak heart? Perhaps, but I don’t think so. I feel it takes a strong heart to care about others even when they have hurt you.

How could a man’s heart not skip a beat when it’s warmed by the warmth that is Zenith. She needs no fire magic, to thaw a man’s heart. Her kindness itself is warmth. A healer in every sense of the word.

…but magic still helps.

Careful Zeny, all your warmth will thaw out the snow outside, and then Lilia would slip and fall in melted puddles. Then I will fall picking her. Are you perhaps trying to make us fall for you?!

I approve!

“Stop smiling,” she tells me.

Ah, I slipped.

“Eh? Sorry, I’m just thinking about something really nice.”

And funny!

“…somehow your smile is ticking me off.”

That hurts! What happened to having a face that only a mother could love?!

Gathering my bearings I get ready for another day. “Alright, I’m off.”

“Not yet,” she opens up her arms in invitation. “Hugs. You haven’t given me my daily dose of Rudy.”

So needy…

Not that I dislike it.

Not one to keep a lady waiting, I obliged, hugging her back and sinking into her warm embrace.

“Rudy… I know what you’re trying to do, but no,” she whispers in my ear. “I’ve noticed you and Lilia are close… again… and that’s… that’s fine, but me and her aren’t there yet.”

“You won’t be if neither of you make a move.”

“Well, why won’t she?”

“I think she’s scared of you. She’s literally hiding right now, you’re scary, you know~”

“Rudy!”

“Kya! My momma’s on a rage path,” I pushed away, putting my hands up ‘protecting’ myself from her fury.

“You!” She grabs me, we ‘battle,’ and I lose. Playfully putting me in a vice grip her hands squeeze my head lightly, no pressure, before they slacken, and drape over me instead wrapping around my neck, her chin resting on my shoulder. Hugging me, her whisper tickles my ear. “It’s difficult Rudy. Me and Lilia will figure things out. You just go out and have a nice day. Let Lilia and me do things at our own pace,” she kissed me on either side of my face, before giving me a small push from behind, causing me to stumble slightly.

“You’re adorable… stay adorable by the time I come back.”

A light blush graces her features.

“Hmph, saying such things to your mother. You’re growing up to become a real philanderer. You better not grow up to be another womanizer like your father, else I’ll punish you.”

She’s teasing, but… there’s a dangerous glint to her eye.

Let's keep the warmth in our eyes shall we. Please no laser vision.

“Well… I guess you’ll have to keep a close eye on me.”

“You count on that young man,” she smiles.

Ah, that’s what it’s all about.

All’s well it ends well.

“See you later Zeny,” I made my way out the door. “I’ll be back before you can say connect four.”

“Come back quickly!” She waves farewell, a safe distance away from the cold before I close the door, keeping the warmth in.

Slam.

Stepping off the porch by five feet and enjoying the morning sun as it hits my face. The brighter side of things is becoming easier to see.

Bringing my hand to the sky, I cover the sun, and look at the clear blue surrounding.

“It’s a beautiful day, cold or not, don’t you agree?”

“...”

No one responds.

“You can come out of hiding now.” I’m not talking to myself.

Step. Step. Step.

Ever so slowly Lilia snoops from around the corner.

“...I’m not hiding. I was simply performing my duties.”

By eavesdropping in our conversation.

“Your duties are your best impression of a tree?”

“...I was doing the laundry…”

“For how long?”

“A while.”

She lied as naturally as she breathed.

I look at the clothes hanging on the hangar. It’s not even that many.

Lilia’s and I’s relationship has improved, we’re civilized now, but her and Zenith are still on the outs. It doesn’t help that they seem to avoid each other every chance they get. One out of guilt, and other out of pride.

Honestly, these two…

They both want to reconcile, but neither is willing to make a move.

Zenith wants Lilia to make the first, and knowing Lilia, she’s fine keeping this status quo, probably thinking along the lines, I would accept any decision Madame imparts. ‘Whatever decision the Madame imparts is the right one.’

Or something along those lines.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I’ll figure out how to get them closer sooner or later.

Still, though it would help me greatly if she stopped hiding.

“Right…you know you could join us whenever you want, you know. Jenga is more fun with multiple players.”

“I don’t think Madame would enjoy my presence there, besides, Madame really enjoys her mother son bonding sessions, and it would be uncouth of me to interrupt such a thing.”

She isn’t wrong, but… she needs more than me, to save her from her loneliness. I am leaving her alone for several hours at a time. My worries would lessen considerably if I knew she was in good hands, and… I know you two used to be best friends.

“What about you?”

She smiled. “I am happy, Madame is happy.”

“I am sure she would be happier, if she had her best friend back.”

“Yeah… I as well… but it is fine. That is what her son is for.”

“Hah…” I lament.

Lilia and I have managed to gather our bearings. We were never a couple, we were-

Honestly I have no idea what we were.

We were in a weird middle ground. Between a relationship, and not in a relationship; a situationship. In short; we were the embodiment of its complicated. You really can’t choose who you fall for, if you could, I would not have chosen such a complex woman to be my first love in my new life.

Regardless, or rather because of it, it made making up easier as there was never a label to what we have to ‘fix.’

We’re now talking to each other similarly to how we used to be. Just without the flirting. We’re keeping it simple.

Now if only her and Zenith could manage the same thing.

Get together, not flirt.

Although…

“For now, but I’ll do something about that.”

The togetherness, definitely not the flirting.

“Rudy-”

“Master’s orders are absolute.”

“Rudy that’s not how-”

“Well! Would you look at the time! Gotta go. People to see, people to save, and all that see yah!”

I’ve interacted with Lilia long enough to know that she can be a bit wishy-washy, and if I follow her pace, we’ll just end up in a back and forth contest of what to do.

Not happening, never again.

I can’t afford to fail.

“Rudy-”

“Love yah, Lilia!” I dash away, before she could stop me.
///

Lilia [pov]

“...did he?”

The warmth in my face increases, as the meaning of Rudy’s words go ignored by him, and throw my head for a spin.

The things he does to me… even inadvertently.

Luckily for me, he was too busy running ahead, to see how red my face had gotten.

“Troublemaker…” I muttered, putting a hand to my chest, acknowledging its fast pace.

He’s always been good with words, but his intentions were transparent. That’s why when he says words from his heart, without thinking, that it leaves such an impact, as their was no intention behind the words.

“I swear… no matter what, Rudy will always be Rudy,” I pat it down, in the hope that it’s pace will slow. “I hope he won’t give me a heart attack.”

Rudy… the things you do to me.

I had accepted the fact that Rudy and I would never speak again.

That I was paying for my grievances against the Madame of the household, by having my heart gouged. That this was a fate fitting of a temptress. That I would have returned to my role, and strive for the Madame’s and young Master’s happiness from the background.

I only need to be a proper maid, as I always should have been, and everything would be fine.

But that wasn’t what happened.

He hugged me one day, and… I hugged him back.

The affair I had with… ‘that man,’ is a mistake that I would always regret.

It was the cumulation of a lost fool, who didn’t understand what love is, as well as the rejection of the idea that I could ever have fallen for someone so young. Because of it I sought a way out of my quandary, seeking his nearest equivalent.

How foolish.

To think there was anyone that could have taken Rudy’s place was utter foolishness. I’m disgusted at myself for even thinking such a thing. In my foolishness I let that man touch me another time, and like before… The result was dreadful.

Perhaps I really am spoiled goods.

But to accept the fact that I had fallen for a child at that time…

It was simply impossible.

It wasn’t something I was ready to accept.

It wasn’t something I should be forgiven for.

But even if it’s impossible, even if it shouldn’t be, part of me still seeks him.

My mind keeps saying, run as fast as you can, but my body refuses to listen. Every time, I swear I’m done, he pulls me back in.

My heart is on a leash, and he holds its reins.

I place a hand upon my chest.

“Why does it feel so good, yet hurt so bad?”

No one answers me.

Maybe I’m insane, but… even so… I feel my happiness can only be with him.

“Me too Rudy… me too…”

Nonetheless, this is fine.

In the absence of his touch I’ve realized something Important, about love. It doesn’t stop. No matter what, I will never stop loving him. Through this hate I will solder on, and continue being by his side, taking care of him with all my heart. If I am lucky, one day he will-

No, he definitely will…

Fall in love with another, perhaps with a girl with green hair, perhaps another, and forget about me, and when that time comes, I’ll…

I’ll send him off with a smile on my face.

Part of me wishes to confess those final three words I have never been able to say, even if they’ll never be returned now, but this is fine, because finally… I get to be by his side once more… forever more.

Isn’t that what love is?

Truly I might never know, but to be beside your most important person forever is what I want.

So even if my words are never heard, I will, ‘always,’ stand by him.

“I love you, Rudy.”

My whispers go unheard.

I go back inside where Zenith is idling. Even if we can’t speak to one another, I can still be of service. I can still stand by her when needed.

Master’s orders.
///

Alice [pov]

Ah, they're at it again.

I think as I look at the sight of my daughter and her best friend. Her cleaning a set of arrowheads, and him surrounded in monster scraps. My husband had caught the boy early on messing around in the forest fighting monsters, and decided to bring the child under his care, teaching him the necessary skills to defend himself.

Or at least, that’s what he told me.

Knowing my husband, he probably wanted to push around the boy a little, seeing the boy as the source of many of his headaches.

“Rudy, Rudy, how’s this?” Sylphiette revealed a set of arrows.

“Yup, all clean.” Rudeus answered, looking up from a pile of… wasps wings? Admiring my daughter’s work.

Honestly, what are you doing? My daughter is right there.

Going back to his bug pile, he starts rummaging through bug parts once again, before landing on a wing, and making it glow. “Hmm, not bad.” He admired it.

I can understand my husband’s feelings a bit better now.

Ignoring my daughter, playing with bugs, and what are you even teaching her?

Many mixed feelings mix within me.

And at the center of it is him.

Rudeus... the boy of the storm.

That is the nickname of his that floats around the village. Flying to and from our humble abode he’s started a veritable amount of rumors about him. Some positive, some… less than positive, and all of them a little outlandish.

And that boy became my husband's errand boy.

At first it took some time getting used to. The boy has a tenor about him that screams… well… unruly. But I know him to be a kind boy. He’s kind to my daughter, and always walks her home safely that I know many of those rumors were simply hyperbole or straight out lies, but the idea of him and my husband being together in an enclosed space for hours at a time…

It was worrisome.

More so when he came back many a time covered in sweat, dirt, grim or other.

For a moment I heavily considered if my husband had taken the opportunity to enact some form of petty justice at some preconceived slight he felt he had taken. However, my worries were quickly dismissed when I noticed a smile upon his face.

He still spoke ill of him, but with less spite in his tone.

That said, there was a snag in my husband’s plan. 

My daughter was the one feeling slighted.

As Rudeus’s… ‘training’ persisted, my daughter’s precious; ‘study time’ got cut in two, and it kept going, and going, and… she did not like it. A girl in love is a powerful thing. A girl slighted more so.

She quickly found out that her father wasn’t quite living up to his end of the deal, and decided to ‘end it’ as it were.

By that being inviting herself into their duties.

It would have been hilarious if he wasn’t so pitiable.

Honey, children are innocent, not stupid. You can only fool them for so long.

One thing led to another, and Sylphy joined the group. My husband’s plan to cut into their bonding time fell apart, I can only assume that was his intention, and he now had to deal with their activities first hand.

I almost pity him.

Funny enough, Rudeus' tasks also decreased that day, but that is a different matter, or so my husband claims.

I am slightly proud of my daughter, but I'll hold those feelings close to my chest.

All that said… There is no way he’d allow our daughter gutting animals, hunting, or doing anything too unladylike. So as to the reasons for why my daughter is performing weapon maintenance, I can only attribute it to… his influence.

Rudeus… the trouble.

Another nickname of his comes to mind.

I’ll refrain from telling him, but I do see his point at times like this.

Honestly, I think his worries are for naught. Just my husband's jealousy at no longer being the only man in her heart.

She’s growing a bit… eccentric, but overall he’s a positive influence in her life.

Just the other day, she was a timid girl too scared to make eye contact with anyone, let alone her crush, and now…

I peek at them. I see my daughter laying on her stomach, waving her feet, hands under her chin, doing little to nothing to hide her feelings as she looks at her crush wistfully.

She now tries hard to look her crush in the eye.

“Alright, you two," I cut in, "come on over I have cookies and milk ready."

“Hai~ we’re coming. Rudy… you’re dirty.”

Glancing once more, I see my daughter, pulling out a handkerchief and wiping sweat and grime from her crush’s brow.

“I-I can do that myself, Sylphy.”

“I-it’s alright, I-I’ll do it for you.”

“Jeez, you’re so…fine,” he relents.

“He he…” she continued. “How did Rudy even get grime on his face?”

“If I knew I wouldn’t have done it.”

That’s because he has a habit of touching his face when in thought.

The more marks on his face the deeper in thought he is.

I’ve interacted with Rudeus enough times to notice some of his habits. He’s not particularly subtle after all. He must have had a lot in his mind today.

“As cute as you two are, cookies taste best when warm, hurry along love birds.”

I wonder if my daughter has enough sense not to flirt in front of her dad.

“Mama! Please don’t tease us, we’re not like that…” She sneaked a glance to Rudeus. “...yet.” she mumbled at the end.

Rudeus on the other hand is looking in the opposite direction, scratching his cheek nervously.

Ah, so he knows.

“Ah! Rudy! You got more grime on your face again!”

And so they repeated their actions once again.

How adorable.

To think the day would come when my daughter would be so brazen.

Although, that would probably frustrate my husband.

But tough.

I’ve never seen our daughter happier.

Granted change can be a little scary, but love is always a little scary.

Looking at these two, I can’t help but think what a lovely couple they're going to be in the future.

I stare at the scene before me: A young boy, and girl enjoying sweets.

It’s sweet.

I don’t care what my husband says, it won’t be so bad if our daughter becomes his future wife. Although, I do have to agree with him, that it’s too soon for that. Seven-no six years! Six years, and then they can get serious.

That said…

I take a glance at Rudeus.

I do hope they don’t grow too quickly. My mind wanders back to that incident. It would only realize my husband's fears, if Rudeus were to grow similarly to his father.

We taught our daughter early on, the moment she turned five, about certain things about boys and girls, nothing ‘too,’ in depth, but enough for her to understand the differences between them, and that it will be a long time before we would teach her the more important parts. Just enough information so that she could avoid certain salacious activities.

Certain activities like those in the Greyrat household.

Due to my mother-in-law’s… ‘nightly activities,’ my husband developed an aversion against lascivious activities of any kind. Being broughg up by a woman who was as... liberated as she was, my husband didn't want my daughter being led down the wrong path.  So when the time came and she developed a crush on a noble, an Asuran noble… and Asuran noble related to Paul… combined with all the rumors of that household... Well, needless to say, it was a nightmare.

Needless to say, she has been given a more in depth education since.

Regardless, except for ‘that' incident, everything is peachy.

Our daughter is livelier, energetic, and has picked up many things from the sword to the pen. Overall, our daughter is dazzling.

It’s good to see her happy.

Laws was worried that our daughter might be led astray, or pick up some of Rudeus’s… peculiarities, but if my husband was truly truthful, he’d realize these truths as well.

“Where is your father anyway?” I asked my daughter.

“He went back to the tower.”

“Why?”

“I left my satchel there.”

“You mean,” I tilt my head to the corner pointing to a satchel, “that satchel.”

“Oh. is it here? Whoops.” Her ears twitch momentarily, as she turns her head away.

Yes… peculiarities…

“Sweetheart~” she flinches. “Did you send your father on a wild goose chase?”

“Um…” she opens her mouth, flapping it open and closed, figuring out what to say, “yes-but daddy wouldn’t leave us alone, he kept splitting us up today.”

I reach for the cookies, and take them from her. “Young lady, you will be going back to the tower, and tell your father you made a mistake, and only then, can you eat your cookies.”

“...alright,” she droops, turning her head swiftly to Rudy following. “Rudy, I’ll be back real quick, we can play checkers when I come back!” She makes a dash out the door before slamming it.

“Checkers?”

“It’s a game I invented. It’s fun,” Rudeus waves his hand in the air.

“Is it safe?”

He frowns, “what do you think of me? It's a board game. Small wooden pieces, and the like, perfectly safe.”

“You know I know about your flying exercises right?”

“And I made sure she falls safely every time. No harm will come to her. Trust me.”

“Well, I’m not the one you should win over, but I’ll believe you. As for what I think of you. I think you're a good kid with a big heart, but… sometimes, I feel you’re a little too on the daring side.”

“Ha,” he snorts. “You really do remind me of her. I guess all moms are natural worrywarts.”

“Of course, a mother’s baby is a mother’s heart. If something were to happen to their baby, it would be as if someone ripped their heart from their chest. It’s only natural for a person to protect their heart.”

“...yeah… you’re definitely right about that,” he said wistfully.

I wonder if he’s fine.

I do not interact with him, besides the moments he's around my daughter, but even I’m aware of the Greyrat household’s situation.

“Is there something wrong Rudeus?” I inquired.

The child has never spoken about the validity of the rumors, but something is clearly on his mind. I don’t participate in the local housewife gossip, but it’s hard not to notice the village knight camping outside his home. With Sir Greyrat sleeping outside, and word getting out that the maid is pregnant, it doesn’t take a genius to put one and two together. This is a rather small village, and it's winter, the most tedious time of the year. People will talk, as people have little to do during this time, but endure and wait for spring.

So when gossip about Greyrat’s infidelity came out, it became a topic of discussion.

I’m not one for such talks, and neither is my husband, but it’s difficult for even us to ignore the drama.

Especially when the child is right before me.

He might be my future son in law one day, and even if he wasn’t, seeing such a young boy, with such a dejected expression, is just wrong. The least I can do is offer him a shoulder to lean on.

“Hmm, ah it’s nothing. Just lost in thought.”

I’ve noticed.

“Perhaps, you would like to share. I find lending an ear to those in need, is all one needs to let their worries wash away,” I sit next to him. Taking the chair my daughter was sitting in, and gently sliding the plates to him.

He raises an eyebrow.

This should help him open up.

He smirks. “That would be nice,” he smirks.

Well, that was rude.

“Ah...” he looks at my smiling face, not betraying my miffed feelings. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I’m just used to keeping things in, I didn’t mean anything by it,” he says while scratching the back of his head.

That’s the habit he has when he’s nervous. It seems he is being honest.

That’s good I would hate it if my daughter had to deal with you like this all the time. Troubled household or not, that’s no excuse for bad manners. I can see how he could get on my husband's bad side.

He seems to have a habit of poking the reverse scale, by pure accident at that.

“I’m not mad, Rudy, you can talk to me if you want, or not, I wouldn’t feel hurt if you didn’t.”

“Ah, yeah,” he sighs. “What the hell, I could use some advice. How would you get two people together, when one of them is keen on not talking to the other, and the other is waiting for the other one to talk to her.”

“Hmm~”

Two people that aren’t talking to each other. Oh, I see~

“Well, first thing first, I’d try to get them into the same room.”

“Tried that. That’s the easy part. I just can’t get them to talk to each other.”

“That is tricky. I know that if I were angry with my husband I would have a hard time talking to them, but anyone that hates each other that much, must have liked each other enough to hate them in the first place, sooo... I guess I’ll try to find that moment where I fell for them.”

“Fell for? Oh! You mean-wait! That’s actually a good idea, and yet… difficult” Rudeus ruffles his hair.

You should take care of your head more carefully young man, you’ll lose your hair before you grow it, at this rate.

I patted his head.

“Be calm young man. I’m sure everything will work out. When someone really cares for someone, as long as one of them keeps fighting, love will prevail,” I said to him.

“...you are a true romantic at heart aren’t you? I see where Sylphy gets it.”

My face grows warm.

He’s lucky he’s cute, or else he might come across as impertinent.

I’m starting to worry about my daughter’s future all over again, although in a different sense. It makes sense now why my daughter has been so headstrong these days.

She has to put up with this young man.

“I hope that was a compliment, young man.”

“Ha ha, of course what else could it be. How could romance be anything but bad.”

My eyebrow raises at his wording.

“Good! I mean good! Yeah... Still though…” he looks deep in thought. “I wished I could do something. Hey, out of curiosity, what do you do when you want to cheer up your husband or daughter.”

“Hmm…”

What do I do when I want to make them better?

“Let’s see, I cook.”

“Food is the way to a man’s heart,” he retorts.

“I play with my husband’s hair, and pat Sylphy's every once in a while.”

“So, you’re the reason…”

“I do…” turning to look at Rudy paying heavy attention to my words, I think on my words, “…do something, you shouldn’t ask your parents about ‘till fifteen, nothing to worry about.”

“…”

“Hmm, besides that, I can’t really think of much.”

My household is a very happy household after all. It’s hard just to imagine a dejected atmosphere here.

“Just little things like talking, or reading. Relationships aren’t usually fixed by big things in my experience, but by the little things. I know, I enjoy a good reading by the fireplace, with my family at my side. Sometimes all you need is their company. It really is the thought that counts.”

“…the little things…hmm, wait, reading!” He jerks up. “Alice, what do you usually read?”

“Oh, we’re not a fancy household. We only have fairy tales here. You know stories of princesses, love, and happily ever afters.”

“That’s-That’s it!” Moving briskly he hugs me.

“Eeep!”

“You, lovable beauty, you, I could kiss you!”

“Fueh?!” A weird sound escapes my mouth.

Before I could react, he clasped my hands tightly into his, holding them in a vise, palms facing up, and pulling them forcefully to his lips.

Chu!

Giving them a strong kiss.

Ehhhhhh!

“It was so simple, of course I could do that! Thanks, Sylphy’s mom,” he thanked me before running out that door.

Slam!

”...”

Leaving me disoriented.

“...that boy is going to be dangerous when he grows.” I said absentmindedly, in the tranquility of my own home. Now that Sylphy’s friend had finally gone away I look at the plate of cookies that was laid abandoned. Turning my head I notice the pile of bug wings still on the floor.

The boy left a mess in his wake.

“Sylphy is going to be sad. The cookies… what a waste.”
///

Rudy [pov]

That’s it!

Stories, I can work with that.

On top of things to kill the boredom, right next to games, I’ve also been writing stories. They are still works in progress, just a series of one shots really, but now I have extra motivation to bring them into reality. As I have an audience to read them to.

Fucking fairy tales.

I’ve talked with both of them long enough that I’m honestly surprised I didn’t think of it sooner. I had trouble figuring out what they have in common, but from spending time with them, I know they are both fans of stories.

‘Though Lilia prefers Drama and Horror, and Zenith prefers Romance, and Adventure, in the end they’re both fans of a good story.

And that I can do.

Zenith and Lilia have a ceasefire relationship at the moment. And if I let them be, they'll stay like that. For the time being their doing leagues better than whatever is happening with Paul, but that’s a very low bar, and I know we can do better.

Or rather I won’t settle for anything less.

If I remember correctly… The first ones to win a war is usually the one that strikes first, so… if I’m to ‘win’ then they need to lose.

I’m breaking into their hearts.

Alice said small signs of affection go a long way, and normally I would be inclined to agree.

However…

We’re not exactly a normal family, or rather ‘small’ signs of affection are for small situations of which we’re anything but.

And so… it’s time to go big or go home.

Of which I’m the master of, if I do say so myself!

Honestly, I couldn’t be more thankful for having a conversation than I am right now. I was seriously considering locking them in a room, and locking them there until they're ready to make up.

Needless to say this plan feels like it has an actual modicum of success.

Probably.

The other plan was playing the innocent card and saying; ‘mama I would like it if you and Lilia became best friends again.’

…so needless to say I was running out of ideas.

Zenith has gotten to know me well enough these days that she knows there ain’t a single innocent bone in my body, and as for Lilia…

Yup, no.

Pulling the Sylphy technique(Puppy-dog eyes) wouldn’t work against them either.

But storytelling… I can work with that.

I was a professional otaku after all.

While plagiarizing-borrowing! Borrowing ideas from my previous life, and putting them to practice have been a little more difficult than expected. I’m confident I can do it one more time. Especially if it's for my family.

Not to mention this world’s literature is a few centuries behind my own. I’m confident I could write a few stories, and earn a pretty penny.

Pretty copper?

Luckily I saved quite a few one-shots just for such an occasion.

Okay not really.

I was saving them for when I went to the capital, and make a copyright on them, and make some serious bang, but obviously my priorities have shifted.

…I’ll do that later.

I’ll just have to hold to my screenplay about star wars, or better known as; War Of The Realms for the time being.

Anyways, I’m going to be a big brother in a few months anyway, so I might as well start acting like it. I wrote one or two fairy-tales that are ready to go.

Tales are good for the soul, you know? They nourish, and help us grow, especially fairy tales, teaching us right from, or other lessons. Like not taking others for granted.

And so…

There's a certain fairy tale I want to share.

“It has to be ‘that’ one doesn’t it. I was saving it for Sylphy, but seeing as it’s the only one that is mostly finished, it will have to do. Besides, who doesn’t like Vocaloid?” I voiced my thoughts.

A fairy tale by the name of; Evilia. Specifically; the princess of evil chronicles.

“It was going to be a tale for my sisters, but you're never too old to learn a lesson.”

…I humbly apologize for using old as a description, please don’t strike me down, oh Millis from above.

Still though, I slap the sides of my face, “It’s Rudy Sensei time! Time to teach those mothers-to-be a lesson. Operation Vocaloid is a Go!” I strike a pose pointing to the sky.

“...”

Looking around I see no one around, before breathing a sigh of relief.

“I’m glad no one was here to witness that…”

But I couldn’t help it, for the first time in weeks, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, and… I see them down it.

“All good things come to those that wait. All great things come to those who make. Let’s go!” I throw a fist to the air, caught up in my own fervor.

Walking down the road I can’t help, but whistle, my mood better.

Music is magic, let’s cast it~


AN: Small note for next chapter; the next one is a... musical? 

Yup~

29