29. Princess of evil
1.2k 10 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN: Alright, small author notice; it's not everyday I put one in the beginning of a story, but I felt this time was fitting, for reasons that will become obvious as you read along.

Anyways, here is the Music Sheet: Vocaloid: (1)Daughter of Evil {JubyPhonic}, (2)Servant of evil {Lizz Robinett}, & (3)Regret Message {Lizz Robinett} all on you tube. Songs will also be labeled at point at point of 'playing,' if you wish to search for them then, or you can search them now, and have three tabs at the ready before hand, or even without. Whichever you prefer.

However, I do I highly recommend you read it with music, as it adds to the whole experience, and will make it much MUCH more enjoyable. Enjoy~


Ohohohoho.
Well, shall we start?

“The things I do for you two. I demand compensation in the form of headpats, and/or cash, preferably cash,” I mumbled to my reflection.

My hair is wet, and slit back. My skin is flawless, and clear. And my clothes are pristine and shining, without blemish.

Now if only I wasn’t wearing a dress.

Don’t look at me like that. It’s necessary!

It’s a sacrifice all great playwrights have to make. And the time calls for it.

I’m going on stage.

Honestly, I’m not quite sure if I’m up for it, or rather I’m not even sure if I have the talent for it, but I’m still going to do it. Singing that is. It’s been two days, but Operation Vocaloid is finally ready to go into effect. This cold war of words, or lack thereof, has to end. And so I’ll end it.

Rudeus Greyrat… revolutionary.

In a sense.

Yes, I know their past. Yes I know they were hurt. But beyond that, I see these two miss each other. And they would see it too if they just bothered to look their way. Taking furtive glances, asking how the other is doing by using me as proxy. It’s clear as day they care for each other, their just both too stubb-

…set in their ways, to admit it.

Honestly…

One stuck in a cycle of hatred, the other stuck in a cycle of penance. Feeding into each other like a ouroboros, they are stuck in a prison of their own making.

Yeah… I say no to that.

I’m out of my depth, but not out of my mind. Doing what’s necessary, rather than what’s easy, I’ll be playing the role of doctor as I start my little operation. Prying open their hearts, and exposing them to each other, I intend to show them the obvious. They miss each other.

Fuck the cold.

Call me impertinent if need be. Curse me if you want. But I need to do this, because they NEED each other. You can’t convince me otherwise.

“I wonder if I’ve grown a little impertinent lately…” I Soliloquy. “Nah, just my imagination. Still though,” I prodded at my cheek. “It’s still weird.”

Seven years… seven years, and it’s still all so surreal. It’s my face, but it isn’t. As I gaze upon ‘my’ reflection, I see ‘my’ hand touching ‘my’ face, and waving a dress about.

All too surreal.

The fact that I’m wearing a dress adding to it.

I’m wearing a simple piece. Yellow in color, there is nothing too strange about it. Common design reflecting a common area, it resembles Alice’s robes, except for its yellow fabric, and glistening golden highlights running throughout it. Interwoven into its seams small shards of Winter Whistle wings were sprinkled and interwoven into it giving the already vibrant dress, and even more radiant appearance. Light bouncing off it, it shines gold under the sun, bringing one’s attention to it, as I designed it, and adding a level of mystique to it. It even glows if one will’s it, as the wings are highly conductive to mana.

All in all the perfect piece for a special night. Exuding nobility, class, and femininity, I even made a wreath to match it so as to lay it thick with imagery tonight.

…I can feel my masculinity stock plummeting…

You're doing it for them, you're doing it for them… just remember.

I sang my mantra for what seemed the one thousandth time today.

…the things I do.

It couldn’t be helped. Theatrics are important.

When singing from the heart what has the most effect isn’t so much what you say, but how you say them, and so little gestures here and there add to the experience.

Alice said, small gestures go a long way, and I agree. However… If small gestures was all that was needed then our troubles would have ended long ago.

No… sometimes drastic measures are necessary.

Plays, stories, music, etc, you name it, if it’s a form of artistic expression, it’s popular. And in a world such as this that is more or less still in its infancy when it comes to the arts. Special presentations like these have an incredible effect.

A good story is a good story. And in the hands of someone like me they make for a good scalpel to cut into them. Being one of the few luxuries that both a commoner and noble could enjoy they make for the perfect middle ground for a reconciliation.

“It’s too bad Sylphy couldn’t be here, but…” I waved the flaps of the dress about. “It’s probably for the best…”

In many senses of the word.

Funny thing happened. As I was finishing the finishing touches yesterday, Sylphy caught wind of what I was doing, and wanted to join.

I shot her down.

She was more than a little annoyed.

She even threatened to tell Zenith for a bit! Saying: “Rudy is leaving me out again.”

How underhanded! Who taught you that?!

Oh, wait…

Anyways, me and her had a little heart to heart before this heart to heart, and I decided to be serious with her, and told her what’s up. She was still annoyed, but much more understanding. A little sad, but reasonable, she surrendered for the day, and left us be.

Almost…

As embarrassed as I am to say… after shooting her down, I still needed her help. Nothing large, but I needed someone to ‘work’ in the middle and keep a certain adulterer away.

This play is personal. It might look like a play, but in reality it’s more of a therapy session. Music is good for the soul, you know? But in order for it to be as effective as I need it to be, it needs to be an intimate affair. No stragglers aloud.

Hell, even my own appearance is less that of an actor, and more of a tool to bring them together.

Anyways, I still needed her help, and so I asked her to keep Paul away by using Laws as a proxy.

Nothing big, she just needed to add a few hints along the lines: ‘Don’t you think Rudy’s dad looks lonely? I know daddy will help his friend out.’

And considering Paul is out for the night… it seems operation house rat was a total success.

Daughter-con manipulation for the win! Banzai!

That said… I might have taught her TOO well.

I now owe her a massage.

I take one last look at my reflection.

Sylphy would look better in this. Maybe she’ll take this dress as payment?

“Alright, I’m not getting any prettier. It’s time to get this over with,” with a wave of my dress I make my way downstairs.

If I think of it as a cape it’s much less embarrassing.

I take a bell, and bring it with me. The guests of honor are waiting. Time to honor them.

“Alright, ready or not… showtime.”

Lilia and Zenith deeply care for each other. I deeply believe so. Now it’s their turn to see it.
///

Zenith [pov]

Wonder what Rudy has planned today?

Sitting in the comfort of my own room, all I can do is twiddle my thumbs as I wait on Rudy’s latest eccentricity. Earlier today, Rudy came to me with a large smile on his face, and when I asked him what got him in a good mood. He smirked saying, “you’ll see~” before prompting me upstairs, and telling me to wait.

‘All good things come to those that wait,’ is it?

When Rudy gets that look in his face it means that he’s up to no good.

Last time he had that smirk, I found, or didn’t find, a large number of bedsheets missing.

“I wonder what he’s up to downstairs?”

Ring. Ring.

A bell sounds.

Speak of the Superd.

“Well, only one way to find out.”

I exit my room, and-

“Madame.”

Run into Lilia bowing to me from across the hall.

“Lilia,” I stood still for a moment.

There she stands before me, bowing, heard arched, and in her monochrome uniform. Beautiful violet eyes, smoldering crimson hair, and beautiful pale skin; a real beauty… the type of beauty man throw away their marriage for.

Apparently.

Yet she bows her head to me.

I’m not blind.

I know what Rudy is trying to do, but it won’t work. I won’t forgive her. I won’t. But…

“You shouldn’t bow to me for the next five months. It’s not good for you, and your baby,” I told her.

I’m still a medic. I can’t have her in bad health. It reflects badly on me.

Yes… that is all…

“...Thank you Madame,” she stands upright.

“Hmph, let’s go downstairs. Rudy has a surprise for us,” I start walking down the hallway to the stairs.

She sighs, bringing a hand to the side of her face. “Indeed he does.”

I halt at the base of the stairs.

“Do you perhaps know what he has planned?”

“Not all Madame, but Rudeus has always been… unconventional.”

“Pfft. T-that’s true,” I stifle a laugh despite myself.

I-I’m mad at y-you, you know.

At least… my life would be easier if I was so.

Truth is… I’m not.

At least not as much as I should be.

Nobles taking advantage of young maiden’s is a common occurrence. Nobles taking advantage of young maids more so. So much that it’s almost part of their duty to take care of their master’s needs. Of course if Paul had such illusions when hiring her I would have utterly dismissed her upon our first meeting, but at the time, such things remained an impossibility.

So as much as I want to be angry with her I can’t. Not anymore. Paul taking advantage of such a beautiful woman should have been expected.

It was my fault for not seeing it. I was too naive.

I was angry with her. I felt betrayed. I just wanted to lash out on her, on that day, but… she was also my closest friend. Excluding my time with my siblings, I’ve never spent so much time with someone outside my immediate family. She was like a sister to me. For six years now…

That’s the longest I ever had a friend for. Even longer than Ghislaine and Eli.

She is… was, like family.

I hate her... but... I don't hate her. I don't know. I don’t know a lot of things. I just hate, 'this.’

I look behind me, and see her standing three paces behind me. She’s been keeping her distance since that day.

Rudy does want us to get closer… so it’s fine, if I talked to her a little more, right?

“Y-You don’t need to call me Madame all the time. I-It makes me sound old.”

“M-M-My apologies, mistress.”

“Nope. Not that one either.”

But... Why does it have to be so hard?

I don’t hate you, but how can I trust you?

“Let's go meet Rudy downstairs.”

“Yes, Mis-ma-um…Zenith?” She looks at me timidly.

“Zenith, is fine.”

“Yes, Zenith.”

We decided to ignore the awkward air between us, and stride down the stairs to see what Rudy had planned for the day. Making it down, we looked around, and-

“Rudy, what are you planning?” Questioned our eyes on what we were seeing.

I stood at the edge of the stairs, and saw a... stage?

There were two chairs before us. A table between them, and a series of torches, littering the room. Dimly lit, and placed around the room, the windows covered, and the room bare, it gave the room a rather somber feeling, only put off by the white sheet separating the other side of the room.

Well, there's one of my bedsheets accounted for.

“...there's even snacks,” I noticed a pile of fresh bread on top of the table. I look at Lilia at my side, only for her to give me a small smile.

Yeah, she’s right. Unconventional really describes Rudy the best.

A moment later Rudy’s head pokes between the drapes, and looks at us for a moment. “Well, are you going to sit?”

“Are those my satin bed sheets?”

“...you can punish me later if you like, but please ignore it for now. Can you sit?” he says with his head still poking through.

I stare at him.

“Please?” he pleaded.

“Master Rudy’s plans are a little… eccentric, but he always means well,” Lilia adds.

“It’s not like I was mad or anything…” I mumbled. “Alright, show mama, what you’ve been preparing for the last hour.”

Rudy pokes his head back inside, shrouding himself, and leaving us to ourselves.

Preparing myself for what's to come. We drift to our respective seats. Lilia to the left, and I to the right.

“...”

A long silence stretches between us.

It’s uncomfortable, but bearable. This is obviously another one of Rudy’s ploys, to get us closer.

“You’d think I was a child…” I mutter.

“Madame?”

“N-Nothing, I wonder when the-”

Ring. Ring.

He took his time.

The bell sounded and it looked like the ‘play’ was about to begin.

The drapes get pulled and I see my… son? I see a… pretty girl?

Standing in a yellow dress in the middle of a room, with a black tarp behind ‘her’ betraying nothing of the kitchen that was once there.

He sure is putting a lot of effort.

“Ladies, and… just ladies. I prepared a small story for you today, it’s about… well, that’s all up to you, but it is a fairytale about a kingdom long ago, known as the kingdom of yellow ruled by the princess of evil, please enjoy my three songs, as I lead you into this stories first telling, enjoy.”

A story? No, scratch that, singing?

“Rudy can sing?” I questioned.

He scratches his cheek, “...um, well… I’ll try my best. Anyways! Please save all questions ‘till after the performance. Let the show begin!” He thrusted his hand forward, as if giving a command.

I do remember Rudy writing a lot before going to bed these days, saying it was something about money making ideas.

My son is a playwright? Odd, but could be worse, he could grow up to be a mercenary.

That’s an unpleasant thought. Oh, he’s beginning.

He pulled out a piece of paper, and- [AN(1): Daughter Of Evil {JubyPhonic}, you tube]

“Once upon a time in a land so far away.
Was an evil kingdom that no one dared to face.
Ruling with an iron fist and standing center stage.
Was a noble princess of only fourteen years of age.”

He started singing.

Well, calling it singing might be too much, but it’s still pleasant.

“There wasn't anything the princess couldn’t have,
With a boy just right her serving as her right hand man.
Stable full of horses and her favorite, Jesaphine.
She could buy the world no matter what the price may be.”

“If there wasn't money for the tyrant left to spend,
She'd take it from her loyal subjects to no end.
Anyone opposing her was punished for their crime.

All those who defy me are to die!”

…well… this is different. What kind of story did Rudy prepare for us?

“Now, kneel before me, peasants.”

He thrusted his hand forward, and sneered.

“Rudy…” I whispered, questioning what kind of story he prepared, before he waved his hand at me, and I felt Lilia’s hand on my own.

“I’ve read a story or two with Rudy, " she placates me, “it’s best if we wait ‘till the end.”

“Ok… do you know this one?”

“No I do not.”

After noticing our discussion over, Rudy nods his head once, and continues.

“Blooming ever-sweet, the evil flower reaps.”

A wind appeared in the room, and I noticed an array of flowers? No, it’s paper. A series of paper’s dyed in yellow ink are sent flying around him. My son? No, the princess is surrounded by yellow flowers.

“Drowning in colors 'till it’s all you can see
Pitiful as ever, they were growing by her side.
Just to pave the road ahead for her, destined to die.”

…this isn’t your typical story, is it?

“Don't forget this princess was like any other girl,
Falling for a prince of blue who lived across the world.”

The wind dies down, and the ‘flowers,’ settle. Landing at his feet.

That was actually quite nice.

I start clapping, before Rudy keeps going.

Oh? Looks like Rudy really wants to make a big show about his song.

“But it came to pass he was in love with someone else,
A lady all in green who ruled a kingdom full of wealth.”

Rudy starts making moves, making hand gestures to the ‘audience,’ as if reaching out to us, and swaying his hands from left to right when the moment calls for it.

He at least has the dramatics down.

“Jealousy enveloping, she started seeing green,
Summoning her minister, so as not to make a scene.
Speaking very low, she gave a terrible command,
Go seek out the kingdom Green, destroy all of their land.”

The room gets warm. Rudy just warmed up the room with a heat spell.

“Quickly burning houses right before their very eyes,
No more crying out, they murdered everyone on sight.”
The torches in the room start lighting at his command.

“News of how the innocent were dying in the streets,
Never swayed the princess in the least.
‘Oh, my it’s tea time.’”

Rudy poses, bringing the script to his face as if it’s a fan.

Oh…

“Blooming ever-sweet, the evil flower reaps,
Drowning in colors that'll drive you crazy.
Beautiful as ever and still growing every day
And yet far too many thorns keeping all too far away.”

Rudy-No no, he’s making a play right now, so he’s a princess right now. ‘She,’ the princess, makes a curtsy towards me and Lilia.

“To overthrow the evil princess high above,
Taking to the streets at last, they all had had enough.
Leading from the front of such a violent mob, in red.”

Rudy gathers the mana once more, and makes a flame, in front of him.

A fireball spell?

“Was a noble dame in armor, coming for her head.” He sent it to himself.

“Rudy!” I get up briskly, while Lilia holds my arm.

“Mada-Zenith, it’s alright, look…” she points to Rudy in a slight green shimmer.

That’s…

He makes a thumbs up sign, and mouth’s ‘sorry, I’m fine.’

“Honestly…” I sit back down.

I changed my mind. I’m punishing him after this.

Cough. Cough. He coughs into his fist, continuing.

“Angry from the many years of suffering in vain,
Swallowing the kingdom's people in a wild strain.
Soldiers all too tired from a long and violent war.”

Rudy-no, Princess pulls out a sword.

“Didn't have the energy to even hold a sword,” before tossing it a foot, letting it fall.

“Finally they made it to the palace at the end,
Servants didn't wait and very quickly left.
Even then such a princess so adorable as she,
Captured by the people she should lead.”

The princess poses, standing upright, throwing a palm to us.

“How dare you, barbarians!”

…it’s honestly a little disconcerting how good Rudy is playing a snob.

“Blooming ever-sweet, the evil flower reaps,” the ‘flowers’ he set up earlier are flowing once more, flowing around the princes.

“Drowning in colors, growing sad and weeping.
Living in a paradise created by her mind,
Aah, everything will crumble in this fleeting dream of lies.”

A series of ice-shackles appear around Rud-Princess's wrists.

“Once upon a time in a land so far away.
Was an evil kingdom that no person dared to face,
“Ruling with an iron fist and standing center stage,
Was a noble princess only fourteen years of age.
Knowing her beheading is at three this very eve,
Listen to the sound because the bell will toll for thee.”

Ding. Ding.

A bell sounded, as ‘she’ walks slowly forward.

“Once a wealthy princess, now a prisoner to die,
What could she be thinking in her jail cell tonight?”

‘She’ sits down on the middle stage hugging her knees to her chest.

“Walking to the gallows, hear the chiming of the end,” as she walks, steps of ice are manifested before her.

“'Tis a better place they go than ever known ahead.
Never laying eyes upon the people in the crowd.”

A wind appears once more, and the drapes, curtains(?), start sliding, until they hide the princess's body, and her head is the only thing poking through.

“Whispering aloud their final sound; “oh, is it tea time?”

Shink. Before a sheathing sound is made, and the princess falls over.

“Eep!” I jerk a moment, before Lilia holds my hand once more, and points down, “it’s alright, look,” she points out. “There's no blood.”

I know! I know it’s just a performance, but still!

I turn to where she directed and notice she is indeed right, there is no blood.

He’s definitely punished after this! I demand a full day of Rudy’s attention, and he’s giving me a neck massage, and cooking, and… whatever I want! Hmph!

The princess gets up, and the curtain is pulled, revealing a sword, and a rock in his hand, before tossing the rock.

I’m glad I know how he did it, but I’m still angry.

“Blooming ever-sweet, the evil flower reaps,
Drowning in colors til it's all you can see.
History remembers, singing to this very day,
How a daughter of such evil lived such a wicked way~”

He strings out the last line, taking his sword, and slashing up, throwing the flowers high.

“Ha…” he drops the script. “And scene,” and pulls down the wreath off his head. “And so ends the chapter of the princess of evil.”

“Rudy, that was…”

“Passionate,” Lilia proposed.

I was going to say intense, but passionate work too.

“Ah, yeah, I was reading stories lately, and I felt that’s the one thing we all enjoy. So I thought that’s something we could all talk about, fairy tales, but I don't think the stories we have have enough material to work with… so I thought, I’d make something myself.”

“I mean those are fairy tales, your story was… too passionate to be called a fairy tale,” I say.

Fairy tales aren’t like that. They're supposed to be sweet and fluffy, not that… zealous.

“I mean sure, but I don’t think it was that passionate, it was just a poem. It’s only been five minutes.”

It’s been what?

I look at the torches around the room, and they're still going strong.

…it’s only been five minutes…

“Well did you like it?” Rudy pleads with us.

Ahhh, he’s doing it. Rudy is doing the puppy dog eyed technique. Funny enough, it isn’t a technique he can do on purpose. Everytime he tries to do it on purpose he fails, but… when he’s earnest, like right now, it’s incredibly effective.

How ironic, he can only do it when he’s not trying.

“It was very well done, master,” Lilia tilts her glasses, a bright glare reflecting off her features, revealing a smile on her face.

“Yes, not my cup of tea, but it was nice…” I admitted. “Still though… I’m more of a fan of love stories, not stories about kingdoms, and what-not.”

“It is.”

“What?”
”What?”

Me and Lilia responded immediately. Turning to each other to see if we heard wrong, before turning back to him.

What is going on inside your head to call that a love story?

“Hey, quit looking at me like that. I’m perfectly sane… but it is about love, well at least part of it, it’s also about regret… and… other things. I really like this story. There's just a lot to get into.”

“Rudy, I didn’t feel the love in it at all, it felt…”

“That was more of an adventure than anything young master.”

“Yeah yeah, she’s right Rudy. There was no heart in that,” I said.

“Well.. it is chapter one…”

“What?”
“What?”

We looked at each other again, blushing a little, before turning our heads in embarrassment back to Rudy, who had a smirk on his face.

He’s doing this on purpose.

“Interested now aren’t you?”

“A little…” I admitted.

“...I am slightly curious as well,” Lilia responds.

“Alright, that’s good. I can finally take off this dress. Oh, and by the way, all three chapters have a similar intense tone, sooo… look forward to that,” he starts reaching for behind, and… “...this is more difficult than I thought it would be.”

Seems to be struggling in taking it off. “Short intermission. I’ll be back. I’m going to get changed,” he turns back, going back through the apron, and closing it.

““...””

…I suppose having a daughter wouldn’t be so bad.

A small silence is left between us once more, as Rudeus retreats, but it’s not uncomfortable as the first time.

“My son looks pretty good in a dress.”

“Indeed… perhaps we should call him Julie all day tomorrow.”

“His actions, although dramatic by design, are a little much, no?”

“Of course, Madame.”

“It would be appropriate to punish him accordingly. Soooo, he should wear the dress all day tomorrow right?” I turn to Lilia, who smiles widely at my declaration.

“Of course Mada-Zenith… such punishment would be fitting. Might I propose wearing a maid uniform?” Lilia jokes.

At least I think so.

She said it in her standard impassive tone, she could just as easily be serious.

“Umm… I’m just changing you know? I can hear you,” Rudy’s voice comes from behind the curtain.

“Good! The next two chapters better be good, and less theatrics. You almost gave mama a heart attack.”

“...but it’s a play,” he says.

“Rudy~”

“Hai, hai. I got it. I’ll… try my best,”

“You better,” I turned to look at Lilia, who was smiling at me. “W-W-What is it?” I’m caught off guard by her smile.

It’s rare for her to have such bright features. At least having them directed at me.

“Ahem,” she coughs into her fist, composing herself, and putting on her default stony expression, “Nothing Madame, I was just thinking, it’s nice to see the Madame with such a large smile,” Lilia tells me.

“...”

I think I get why my husband would make such a mistake a little better now.

“L-Lets enjoy the show.”

“Yes,” she says.

I hope it’s a happier story this time.
///

Lilia [pov]

You’d think I would have gotten used to Rudy’s eccentricities. I have not.

When he said that he has plans for me and Zenith today, I wasn’t sure what to expect. After he and I rekindled our friendship he’s been hinting heavily, with Madame and I, that he wants us to bury the hatchet.

Of course, I would love that, but what a person wants just isn’t feasible sometimes.

Even if…

I take a look at the basket of fresh bread between us, and our hands on the same table, the madame and I.

This is probably the closest I can expect us to be.

“Master Rudeus, forgot to bring us refreshments,” I noticed.

He always had the habit of focusing too hard on a certain process that he forgets about everything else. He learned many things, more through pain, rather than by teaching.

Teaching was difficult at times.

“Yeah, he did,” she concurred.

“I’ll see if I can provide us with some nourishment. I will return Zenith.”

“Ah… sure.”

I stand up, and…

Ding. Ding.

The bell sounds.

“It looks like Rudy is ready for the next chapter,” Zenith glances at me. “We can have tea later, let’s enjoy my son’s performance a little longer.”

…enjoy…

“Lilia?”

“Ah! Y-Yes, lets,” I declared.

Her admittance of her enjoyment caught me off guard.

The curtain is pulled, and like last time Rudeus appears once more, this time in a… noble attire?

He hates that though.

Where did he get that? No, where did he even get the dress?

You stopped paying attention to him for one moment, and he appears with a new wardrobe.

“Honestly…” I muttered. I sit back down, and get ready to enjoy his performance.

“As before,” he walks down, holding a jug, and two mugs, placing them between us, and pouring us a cup of water.

He was listening. Ignoring our expression, with closed eyes he continues.

“This is the continuation of the story you just heard, or…” he pauses dramatically. “The same tale, but from a different point of view. This one titled; The Servant of Evil. Now sit back and enjoy my tale of the ones that help us from the shadows,” he walks back upstage, and makes a bow.

As per before, he pulls up a script, and with a wave of his free hand, begins the next chapter.

[AN(2): Servant Of Evil{Lizz Robinett} you tube]

“I am your loyal servant,
And you're our country's queen
We, a pair of pitied twins
Burdened by our destiny
Let hell flames consume me,
If that's what must be done.
I will gladly play the part
So that you may shine, my sun.”

I see… it’s not a noble’s robes, it’s a servant. He’s trying to play a butler.

…he looks nice.

It’s all wrong though. Master, your collar needs to be completely buttoned, your socks are showing, and your bow isn’t low enough. Also, you forgot to comb your hair, that will reflect badly on-

Wait wait wait, that’s not the problem!

I’m getting ahead of myself. He shouldn’t be wearing servants' attire in the first place! It would be uncouth of me to tell him how to dress.

That said…

I sneak a glance at the madame.

She doesn’t seem to mind.

No! It’s improper for him to be wearing servants' attire… but…

He does look nice in it.

“Cough. Cough.” I refocus on the play.

“Lilia?” Zenith questioned.

“Sorry, a piece of bread got stuck on my throat.”

“Ah, alright.”

“Ahem,” Rudy coughs on his own, mimicking me, and looking upon me with a mildly peeved off expression. I bow my head slightly in apology, and Rudy continues.

“On the day the two of us
Were brought into this world.
The bells gave their blessings
To us twins, a pair of a boy and a girl.”

Bells sound offstage once more. Young master has really improved his magic control.

“But for reasons that we were
Too young to understand,
We were separated soon forth; I
Could no longer hold your hand…”

Rudy makes a pose reaching out to us.

I see…

“If the whole world plots
To extinguish your light.”

A series of fireballs is cast around Rudy, ten in total, hovering around Rudy. That's impressive.

“If they find the need
To make you dread or cry
Don't you worry, my dear, I
Am right by your side
So just smile for me;
It will all be alright.”

As soon as they came, they were soon put out, as Rudy cut the spell and let flames dissipate.

An interesting play.

“I am your loyal servant
And you're our country's queen.”

Rudeus walks off the ‘stage,’ and grabs Zeny’s hand. Kissing it in a matter of a knight.

“Rudy…” she whispers.

“Us, a pair of pitied twins
Burdened by our destiny,
Let hell flames consume me
If that's what must be done.”

An ice spell appears behind Lady Zenith’s head.

“I will gladly play the part
So that you may shine, my sun.”

A bright flash appears behind Zenith’s head, as Rudy casts a healing spell, making a strong reflection of the ice.

It’s dazzling.

He steps away from Zenith, and back on stage.

“While running errands
In the country to the east
I ran into a fair maiden
With hair of deep green,
Her smile and her voice, to me
Were sent from up above
Something moved in my chest;
You might even call it love.”

Rudeus’s eyes meet my own.
I swallowed my breath.

It was only a glance, but my heart skipped a beat.

“But we know all good things
Must come to an end.”

He closed his eyes, and continued.

“It is my queens orders
The girl must repent,
I will grant your wishes,
If that's all I live for
So then tell me, my sun
Just what caused me to pour?”

Rudeus makes a kneeling poze, and kneels facing Zenith, making a pained appearance, as he clutches his chest.

This song… it’s… too familiar…

“I am your loyal servant
And you're our country's queen
Us, a pair of cursed twins
Bound to a bloody destiny.”

He steps to the edge of the stage, as pulls a pitcher, he hides behind the curtain, pouring a cup of tea.

"Your highness, brioche
Will accompany your tea.
And you clapped your hands with glee;
So innocent and sweet…”

“It appears that soon this country
Will meet its fate,
Torn to pieces by its people
Crumbled under their hate.
The masses claim that justice
Will be brought on us today
But I won't see it through;
They will not get their way.”

A wind gathers, and from behind a curtain, the yellow dress is flown to Rudy’s hand once more. An Ice Mirror is made in center stage, and a reflection of Rudy appears.

"Listen now, my dear
Give your clothing to me.”

He speaks to his reflection. No, the queen.

“You and I must switch,
And away you must flee.
You will be okay
We are twins, don't you see?
They won't know, now dear
Don't look back and just leave."

With a floury of Rudy’s hands the flames are put out, and we are encompassed by darkness.

A moment later, a single flame is brought back up, in center stage Rudy stands, his figure illuminated in flames.

“I am only the double;
The true queen runs free.
Us, a pair of broken twins
Damned by cruel destiny,
If the devil's your Master,
As the people curse your name,
Then I'm a demon too,
For our blood's one and the same.”

A loyal servant, ‘till the end… a caring sibling, how tragic, how noble. The princess of evil was it, in this tale, she is responsible for many deaths it seems, but… even so, she was also someone precious to her servant. Someone irreplaceable.

I take a glance at Zenith at my side, caught up on the tale, then back at Rudy with his performance.

To give yourself thoroughly for those you care for. How marvelous… how envious.

If I could…

Even evil has a heart.

“Long ago,” Rudeus continued.

“There was a kingdom
Ruled by a queen,
At that time the two of us
We're barely aged fourteen.
A ‘daughter of evil’
Ruled the kingdom from within
But the stories lie, for she
Was my cute little twin.”

“I wonder what my sister is doing?” Zenith mumbled.

Ding Ding. A wind spell is cast, and a bell sounds.

“To extinguish your light,
If they find the need.”

Rudy starts walking left, pulling the drape across. Then right, pulling the opposite.

“To make you break and cry,
Don't you worry, dear, I
Am right by your side.”

Rudy places his head between them, mirroring his earlier greeting when we entered this room.

“So just smile for me.
It'll all be alright.”

A wind is summoned, and the flame goes out.

“I am your loyal servant
And you're my precious queen.
Us, a pair of pitied twins
Burdened by our destiny
Let hellfire consume me.
If that's what must be done
I will gladly play my part
So that you my shine, my sun~”

The heat rises in the room, and all the torches around the room are lit up, one by one, once more. Rudeus unbuttoned his collar, while the flames were extinguished, giving him a more disheveled appearance.

“If the day comes that we
Are reborn once again,
It'd be nice to play with you;
So I'll wait for you 'til then~”

“The end…” he sighs, “and so concludes chapter two.”

Clap. Clap. “Wow, that was amazing Rudy, wasn’t that-Lilia?”

“Yes? Yes, it was quite beautiful Master Rudeus, as expected of the young master.”

They both look at me with confused eyes.

“Um… Lilia-” Rudy started.

“Lilia are you alright?” Madame’s voice cuts in.

“Hmm, of course Madame, why would there be anything wrong?”

“You haven’t noticed?”

I’m puzzled, and can’t help but tilt my head.

“It’s just…” Rudy comes closer to me, reaching out his hand, pausing a moment to look at the madam for a moment, before back to me, “It’s just that,” he rubs his thumb on my face, and…

Ah, this is familiar.

As Rudeus gets closer, he gets blurrier.

That’s funny, when did I take off my glasses?

Oh… I didn’t.

My vision is blurry… and… my face is wet.

“You’re crying,” he whispered.

“O-Oh, it appears so. Ah, um, I-I was moved to tears by Rudeus’s performance, i-it was amazing, w-wasn’t it madame?”

How unsightly of me. This is supposed to be a bonding moment, and here I am ruining it with my tears.

“...it was… but… Rudy, how many chapters did you say, there were?” Zenith asked.

“...three.”

“Out of curiosity, what is the last one called?”

“...it’s called; message in the bottle.”

“...and its meaning?” Zenith questioned.

“It’s the conclusion, to me… it’s a story about love, regret, and forgiveness,” Rudy takes a glance at me. “We can stop for to-”

“Let’s continue Masters,” I voiced my opinion. “I apologize for my unsightly appearance, but I will control myself. I won’t ruin your performance, from here on.”

“This isn’t about… never mind. I’m gonna go in the back now. Help yourself to the snacks and refreshments,” he walks past me, and stops holding my arm and looking at me. I nod my head, and he sighs before walking away, back behind the curtain

The fact that it swayed my heart was surprising, but I’m sure the Madam is enjoying such a performance, and I won’t let myself be a burden.

These are not your average fairy tales, but we are not an average crowd, and… I take a glance at Zenith.

“I want to see the conclusion of this with Madame.” I don’t want to throw away this opportunity, and want to see it through.

“Lilia, I…” Zenith briskly turns towards the curtain. “Rudy, is it sad?”

“Yeah…” his voice comes through. She looks at me, and her brow scrunches up, as she debilitates what to say. “Let's watch it,” she concludes.

“Thank you, Madame.”

“...we’re just watching a play… there's nothing to be thankful for,” she whispered while looking away.

It will probably be a few minutes while Rudy gets ready. Noticing the tea set left to the side, as well as some props, that Rudy forgot about after my distraction. “Would Madame care for some tea?” I gestured to the set.

“No… I don’t think I would.”

“Alright.”

“Brioche…” she mutters.

“Madame?”

“Brioche… do you know what that is?”

“I believe it’s a famous sweet among Asuran courts.”

“I see,” she mutters. “I would like to have some tomorrow, if you please.”

“Y-Yes, I don’t-Of course, Madame.”

“I am not familiar with that sweet, but I will try my best.”

She turns her head to me, before turning away from me once more, “...oo attentive,” she mutters something about attentiveness.

It’s fine though. This is pleasant.

In the months since the incident, I’ve been performing my duties as is expected of me, I haven’t received a direct order from the Mistress in months.

This is progress.

This is why I must see this play to the end. By the end of it, I’m sure I’ll find an answer.

Perhaps at the end of it, Madame and I…

No, I dare not think about it.

I wonder… What is evil?
///

Rudy [pov]

That was… unexpected.

Tears poured out of Lilia’s face. It’s a touching story, but I don’t really do it justice. I don’t even have the benefit of having music to go with it.

Yet, she still cried.

I can’t deny I was going for a touchy feeling, and trying to create something that would leave an impression, but… this was for Zenith. It was, or supposed to be, a story of not taking others for granted. I guess Lilia found meaning in that story as well.

I wonder how they’ll deal with the next chapter, message in a bottle, or as it was known back on Earth; regret message. As it is more or less just a second half to the last chapter, as they have similar tones.

Should I take a peek?

I breach the curtain, just a bit, and peek outside of it.

“Well… how about that?”

It’s subtle, but they’re interacting a bit more with each other. I see them talking. Granted Zenith looks away from her more than I would like, but they are definitely talking. I even see Lilia smile.

It’s the little things.

Mission failed successfully?

Closing the drape, I sneak back behind the drapes.

The plan, if I could call it that, isn’t exactly going to plan, but I am seeing results, and I am too far through to stop now. It’s time to see where this goes.

Sometimes a little pain is good. It helps you deal with everything you’re holding in, and those two, feel like they need to let things out.

Please don’t blow up on my face.

I wonder if there's some kind of soothing magic in this world. Healing does feel pleasant after all. Don’t bards have skills like that in fiction.

Well… maybe next time.

I take off my clothes, and go back to my casual attire. Although, I could go back to wearing a dress for dramatic effect.

No, too much of a pain. In several meanings of the word.

That and… Lilia and Zenith had a weird look in their eyes when I wore it.

I’ll pass.

I won’t tempt fate, more than once today. I’m bold not suicidal.

After getting dressed, I take a small peek at where the torches are placed, let the mana flow through me, and start casting fireballs along the wall, where everything was set up.

“The show must go on.”

Sending the mana to the bell hanging by a nail, behind drape, act three is ready to begin. “Show time.”
///

Zenith [pov]

I wonder if she’s okay?

Lilia broke into tears a moment ago, and it caught me off guard.

Why was she crying? I should ask her, but… can I?

Similar thoughts have been going through my head as I sneak glances at her here and again, and the answer is, I just don’t know.

I wish my sister was here.

I've been thinking of my family a lot recently, and I can’t help but wonder what advice my sister would give in this scenario. A near identical sibling… I have someone like that. We’re sisters not twins, but from the last time I saw her, it would be difficult to tell.

I can’t imagine her, nor I, ever becoming the other’s shadow like in that tale, but we are close.

All of my siblings had their strengths and their weaknesses, for me, my strengths were Magic and etiquette. For her, she had great instincts. When it came to knowing what she wanted, she would focus on it, and target it with a vigor, that’s almost scary.

She didn’t hesitate.

She hugged me once. No, she hugged me hundreds of times. Sister was a hugger, but there was one time that stands out the most.

The day she left to become a knight, she hugged me in my bed before disappearing into the night.

We made up later, but I didn’t think of it until now, how hard it must have been doing something like that, but she did it anyway.

…if one day I had discovered that I will never see her again, that… that would have been painful

To have the bravery to find something for yourself.

She did that.

I did that!

So, why can’t I talk to Lily?!

Because…

Maybe I don’t want to be kind! Maybe I want them to PAY!

…I remember the words I said to her.

Do I still feel like that, am I really that vile, I…

No, I’m not, but… maybe I am

Do I hate her? Do I just want to hate her? Am I guilty? Do I feel I want to be guilty?

I glance at her once more.

Do I know she’s sorry…

Yes…

Do I care?

“...”

Ding. Ding.

The bell sounds, and the story is about to come to an end.

“Oh, here we go again,” I lamented.

“Indeed,” Lilia says.

The curtain is pulled, and Rudy makes an appearance wearing his normal attire for once.

Oh, what a shame.

Regardless, he still has a script in hand. Pulling it out he starts. “For the conclusion, there is one more chapter to go. It’s titled; message in a bottle. The end of the story of the princess and her servant, and her wish, enjoy.”

He raises the pages to his face, and looks at me and Lilia, making a long pause this time around.

I am a little uneased, but there's no way I’m stopping now.

““We’re fine, Rudy/Master,”” we said simultaneously. We then turn to each other.

Oh? I guess we do think alike.

Turning back to him, we nodded our approval.

He sighs, and mana starts flowing through the room, making a small breeze. “Okay,” he says, he closes his eyes, and begins to sing.

[AN(3): Regret Message {Lisa Robinett) you tube]

“Far away at the shore,
in a town beside the sea,
Alone stands a girl, staring longingly.”

He sends his arms to us.

“It is here, at the shore,
that she holds to her chest,
A secret she dare never speak.”

Rudy brings his hands to his chest, as if holding something tight.

“If you write a wish upon
a paper and you place
It into a glass bottle
And it’s washed away by
the ocean then someday,
There’s a chance that
it may just come true.”

Rudy releases his hands from his chest, and parts them as if swimming. Bringing his hands closely, back to him he reads the next lines in his script once more.

I guess he didn’t memorize the whole thing.

“Drifting farther away,
riding swiftly on the waves.”

Rudy summoned a mild mist, and shaped as waves. So magic can be used like that…

“A message containing a wish was made
Heading steadily toward the horizon,
And gradually fading away.”

A wind is summoned, and a… bottle is blown into Rudy’s hand.

“Nada-na, na na, nada-na, na na…” an odd melody comes from Rudy’s voice, as he slowly bends to his knees, and collapses slowly until he hugs his knees.

“...”

He holds still for a minute, then…

“Through the darkest of days,” he starts getting back up.
“you were always by my side,
No matter what I would
say, you would always abide.”

He reaches out to us.

“Constantly I let my
selfishness take control of me.”

I look at his hand, and Rudy for a moment, our eyes meeting, before his gaze flickers to Lilia. I turn to my side, and… look at Lilia.

Our eyes meet, and… her eyes are red…

“And caused you a life full of grief…” feeling my gaze she turns to stare at me. We stare into each other’s eyes, unblinkingly for a moment, before she turns her head away.

…we’re all hurting each other aren’t we.

What did he call it earlier; a story of Love, and Regret?

“But now, all because of the
mistakes that I have made
You’re no longer here with me~”

Oh…

“In order to get all this
pain off of my chest,
I must spill my woes into the sea…”

I see…

“Drifting farther away,
little wish upon the waves.
With eyes full of tears,
She regrets those days.
It is then that she realizes this:
Her sin has taken everything away.”

“Madame, I-”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.
“Madame?”

The truth is I know she was sorry. I knew she meant it. I knew… I was hurting her. I wanted her to hurt. I… wanted her to feel how I feel.

I don’t like what I’ve become.

I know her well, I know what she thinks, and… I even know what she thought when Rudy sang that last line.

“I know you were sorry. You, nor Paul, have tried to interact with each other, I know… I know you have no intention of pursuing ‘it,’ and that you were sorry I just-”

“Zenith, it’s alright, everything I’ve gotten is because of my own folly I deserv-”

“Stop… just stop.”

I’m hurting her… and I know I’m hurting her, and… I know her well enough that I know she will let me hurt her.

I… I am evil…

““Lilia/Zenith”” we whispered each other's names. Upon hearing each other’s names we turn to each other, and I see… a maid with tears in her eyes.

No… my best friend. My reflection.

“...”

At this moment… we’re probably thinking the same thing.

“Drifting farther away,” Rudy whispers, breaking the silence. We turn to look at him, and see him with eyes closed. Pretending he didn’t see us.

“A message containing a wish was made,
Heading steadily toward the horizon,
And gradually fading away…”

“I wish to hear the end of this song, Zenith.”

“Yeah… me too,” I agreed.

“Drifting farther away,
riding swiftly on the waves.
A message containing a wish was made,
Heading steadily toward the horizon,
And gradually fading away."

Rudy casts a wind spell, and… sends the bottle up the fireplace. So that’s why it’s off.

“Drifting farther away,
little wish upon the waves
With eyes full of tears,
she regrets those days.”

Regret…

I turn to Lilia, who is looking at Rudy with intensity, who turns to me at feeling my stare.

“If the day comes that
we are reborn again....”

Rudy stops, and bows, without saying a word, he gives us a meaningful look, and walks behind the curtain closing it.

“...”

He leaves us in silence. It looks like he has no intention of coming with another chapter. A moment later a paper is dancing on the wind, and it lands before my lap.

It reads: ‘If you want a happy ending, make it.’

“Do you regret it?” I asked her.

“Yes…”

“Are you sorry?”

“Yes.”

“Then, that’s that. I forgive you.

“But-”

“Quiet! I’m giving you an order, and you will hear it. I’m accepting your apology, and you will let me do so, and! And! If you still insist on punishment, then,” I grab her hand, squeezing it tightly. “Help me, take care of this child. Your child. My child. They're going to be sisters, sooo… you’re going to be my sister too. Your punishment to be by my side! Forever! And!” I raised my head high. “Their aunty shouldn’t be crying all the time in front of my children, I wouldn’t allow it!”

I turn to look at Lilia, who has wide eyes, and is flapping her mouth up and down wordlessly.

I made her speechless, how cute.

She squeezes my hand back. “Is this alright?”

“Am I not your master as well?”

“Yes.”

“Then this is my order; stay by my side!”

“Wahh…” she cried into my arms, as I hugged her.

…so did I.

I looked around, looking for the perpetrator of all this. Seeing as he was nowhere around, I redoubled my efforts into hugging my sister.

Honestly, Rudy… only seven and already bringing women to tears. What a handful you're growing up to be. I don’t know where you went, but… thank you.
///

Rudy [pov]

“Endddd, exit scene…” I muttered from atop the roof. “Hahh… hahh…” I blew into my hands, “It’s cold…”

I’ve been stirring on the roof since the waterworks began.

Don’t call me dense, even I know when I’m being a third wheel, and for times like these, it’s best if the aforementioned parties deal everything by themselves.

I’ve gathered my gear, kite, and winter clothing, and decided that it would be best if I stargaze for the rest of the night.

“But it sure is beautiful,” I look up at the starry lights.

No pollution. No stench. No damaged ozone. No abundance of lights blocking out the heavens. Just pure beauty before me.

Eventually all cloudy skies have to part, and let the light through.

I think I just used up a lifetime's worth of liberal arts talent.

I was worried it might not be enough.

If it didn’t… well… there was no adequate plan two.

Still… looks like my efforts paid off.

“Music really is therapy for the soul.”

Although… I don’t think I have a particular talent for singing. Being a kid helps. I have a plus five bonus in charisma.

My lack of talent is not as noticeable as it should be, or maybe it was, and they were just being nice… or distracted by other matters.

Regardless, you have my thanks. Now enjoy your time together.

“And here I thought Sylphy was the only one that was going to hear my early copy. Well, this works out just nicely. Things didn’t go exactly as planned, but in the end; happily ever after.”

The waterworks weren't supposed to happen, at least until the third act. My intention was directed more at Zenith than Lilia. The intention was to make her aware that she might be taking advantage of Lilia’s presence, and the time might come in the future when she would regret it. Zenith was supposed to make the first move, and from there something could grow from it, if not today, then maybe tomorrow.

Instead they both made moves.

It seems there was a great deal of repressed feeling on both sides.

Juggling the bottle I sent through the chimney earlier. I opened it up and read it.

“For happier days together…”

I wonder if I should toss this at the pond just for luck.

“Nah,” I fold the note into a paper plane, and tossed it into the sky. Strapping off the kite I had set up behind my back, I summoned a wind, and made haste, following into the skies. The updraft carried me, and my wishes into the heavens.

Whoosh.

Happily ever afters aren’t gifted, they’re made.

Wishes are all well, and good, but in the end it takes some genuine effort to bring about miracles.

Following the wind, I fly up… up… and up. The sky never closes, but the ground behind me becomes a blur the higher I go.

It gets colder and colder, and at the apex of my height-

“hah…” I breathe out, and let everything go…

The world at a standstill, my wishes above me, the sky twinkling before me…

Pure tranquility.

…then time resumes, and gravity comes back. Arching my body backward, neck tilted back, and ankles pointed backwards, and my body upside down. My body contorts, as I let it spin before diving down.

Falling… and falling… the ground gets closer.

So liberating.

“Rise,” I command the mana, and my body goes up once more.

It’s good to be free.

With my burden lessened, I soar back into the heavens, and fly to the horizon.

“Here’s to clearer skies.”

27