30. Priceless
717 13 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It'd be nice to play with you~ So I'll wait for you 'til then… The end… Soooo,” I looked above a piece of paper to my audience of one, “...what’d you think?”

“I don’t like it,” Sylphy said.

“Ehhhhh!”

Et tu Fairy?!

“Why, I thought you’d love it?!”

This is my heart and soul you know! Please be gentle as you step all over it!

I worked so hard on it too…

“Why does the love interest have to have green hair, and why does she have to die?” She pouts, crossing her arms and looking away; mildly peeved.

“Ah…”

There’s that I suppose.

In the solace of my room I just read to her, read not sang, my story on the princess of evil. Singing it was a one time thing. I wasn’t going to go through that again, I’d die of embarrassment.

My voice simply isn’t as melodious as Roxy’s or Sylphy’s.

My apologies bards everywhere, you’re not all sexcraved lunatics that want to stick it in everything… mostly.

It’s a story very dear and near to my heart, so obviously I wanted to share it with those important to me. Wouldn’t want her feeling left out after everyone already experienced it.

I’m a little sad she didn’t like it though.

Hah… everyone’s a critic.

They are very nice tales, Vocaloid songs, and Sylphy being a fairy tale enthusiast, I thought would like them the best. I guessed wrong. I know her parents read her fairy tales, but I never did ask her what specifically she likes about them.

In any case, unlike the two ladies downstairs, I was confident she wouldn’t have broken down and cried during my read.

…but unfortunately she hates it.

Rudeus is sad. Rudeus will go now, and die in a ditch now. Don’t look for Rudeus, Rudeus is already dead.

“I see… I thought you’d like the heroine. She’s pretty, and loved by all, including a prince.”

Perhaps I should have swallowed my embarrassment, and sang it one more time, but… singing to a girl in private… somehow feels like I’d be triggering a flag. Again.

“And she dies. Can’t you change it?”

But-but, Vocaloid!

“...don’t want to,” I grumbled.

I really didn’t.

The song/story has a very special place in my heart. During my useless days in another world, back on earth, Vocaloid songs were my heart and soul. When I could barely move, and I separated myself from the world, not knowing what is popular or trending, I just went down the otaku rabbit hole, not caring what was ‘good,’ or popular, found Vocaloid songs, and fell in love with them. Those songs were my first source of happiness those days.

I must have heard those songs a thousand times. I listened to them at the beginning… and at the end. They were the last songs I heard the day I died.

“...if Rudy doesn’t want to change it… that’s fine too,” she concedes.

“...thanks… I’ll make you a fan yet.”

“If that’s what Rudy wants.”

“Sooo… there's a chance?”

“Maybe… The story was nice, but,” she twiddles her fingers, cycling them in circles in front of her, “wouldn’t it be better if the green haired girl married the blue-haired prince, and then they fought the queen.”

You have too much faith in my creative ability.

“But then the events of the story wouldn’t happen. Then it would just be a fairytale.”

“What’s wrong with fairytales?” She said mildly annoyed.

“Nothing, but it’s more than ‘just’ a fairytale. I want my sisters to think about its meaning.”

“Hmm…”

“Besides, the green haired girl isn’t a hated demon or anything. She’s the lovable commoner girl that the prince would risk everything for. So that’s pretty good right? I mean, if I, no, when I get this story to be popular, and spread the word over and over, then the image of green haired girls will become positive right? It will be nice when people start thinking of green haired girls as girls as kind and beautiful as princesses.”

“...that does sound nice. I guess the story isn’t that bad,” she twirls a stray hair curl dangling by the corner of her face. “Hey Rudy,” she played with her fingers, “do you like green haired girls?”

“...”

Now if that isn’t a flag I don’t know what is.

“I like all kinds of hair… green is vibrant.”

Her ears droop.

…that’s cheating.

“...but I like Sylphy’s luminous green hair the most. It’s bright, and lively, and reminds me of spring. Green is great.”

“He he~” she puts her hands to her cheek, eyes closed, smiling widely.

Well as long as she’s happy. Hmm… I wonder…

“Remind me again… how did you feel about my story again?”

“It’s the best!”

So easy.

Well, so am I. My mood has improved!

“Yosh, next time I need an actress you're definitely first on my list.”

“Sure!” She yells, hands still on cheeks, eyes still closed.

…she’s not even paying attention…

Well, that’s fine in its own way too.

“Alright, I got stuff to do, I’ll see you when I come back,” I stood up walking to the door.

“Eh?”

“Keep mama and Lilia company for me, I’ll see you when I see you.”

“I’m not coming?” She asked.

“Not a chance,” I shot her down. “I’m going to be… well it doesn’t matter where I’m going to be. What matters is I can’t take you with me, and I need to do some stuff by myself today. Besides… you’ll have more fun here with them then with me. There's finally enough people for Uno.”

What am I supposed to tell her?

‘Oh, I’m sorry, I’m going to go around monster hunting, and then sell the pieces to some shady villagers as compensation.

Yeah, I think not.

“Anyways, Sylphy look after my family, and see you soon,” I turned the handle ready to leave.

“Hmmm!” She pouts in protest.

Sorry fairy, but you have to be at least this tall, for that to have any effect.

That said… Please stop… your eyes are glowing…

“Rudy’s leaving me out again. You said we could play after this.”

“And we will. After is still ahead.”

“Ruuuudy…” she whines.

“Yeah yeah, I know, but I really do have things to do. I can't always go out and adventure with you. Sometimes I have to go out, and figure it out myself. You know my magic, the flying and stuff?”

She nods slowly.

“Well, I had to do stuff beforehand. I couldn’t just risk my student’s safety all willy-nilly.”

“Willy who?”

“Forget about it. Point being, I have to teach you things properly, and in order to do that I gotta go out by lonesome, and figure it out first. And right now I’m learning battle tactics, and that means…” I let my sentence trail, letting her imagination fill the pieces.

“...”

Looks like she gets it.

“So yeah… please endure it for now, but I gotta do this by myself.”

“...I still wanna go…”

“Like I said-”

“Rudy would protect me!” She says undoubtedly, not a speck of doubt in her eyes.

“...I mean… you’re right, but we shouldn’t be tempting fate as is.”

Her ears droop, and her eyes narrow.

Critical hit!

“Trust me… it’s going to be boring anyway. Stay here and have some fun,” I cusp my hand upon her cheek as I look at her with the warmest expression I can manage. “I have to go ahead, so I can come back to you and teach you safely. We can train, or play, whatever you want, when I come back. Promise.”

I’m serious.

If she were to follow me as she is right now, well… her safety would be in trouble. I am a bit… reckless with my own being, but I draw the line with her.

I wasn’t aware of it at first, but… it turns out I’m a bit of the protective type. I never really had the opportunity to establish any deep connection in my previous life, so I never found out, but turns out I would go the extra mile for those important to me.

I don’t want Sylphy at the edge of the arena(read forest) as I figure out the in’s and out’s of fighting.

Honestly… I surprised myself.

“How long are you going to be gone for?”

I picked up the empty satchel. “Hmm… I’d say… let’s see two and two, plus travel time,” I looked at her pouty expression. “It’ll be a while.”

“...I see…”

I feel a little bad, but at least a decision was made.

“Ok,” she stands up and follows along. Carrying her kite with her.

…or maybe not

“Young lady… what are you doing?”

“...”

“Really? Sylphy.”

“I’m coming too,” she wraps her hand around mine.

I looked slightly below my eye level to see her determined expression.

“No, you’re not.”

She wraps tighter.

Her eyes are closed, and she’s now hanging on for dear life.

I have no intention of flying away, you know?

I see it would be difficult removing her.

She’s not gonna take no for an answer is she. What happened to the cute kohai that would do everything I say?

Oh that’s right, I beat it out of her!

…Prince of evil…

“...you promised you wouldn’t leave me alone today. Liars are bad people…” she whispered.

…well… shit.

“You… I can’t even tell if you’re doing that on purpose or not anymore.”

She looks up at me quizzically.

“And they call me trouble. Alright let’s go.”

She starts beaming at my surrender.

…didn’t know I was such a pushover as well…

The things I do…

I’ll just adjust my plans a little.

I was planning a monster hunting seccion, but there's plenty to do, and plenty to train. I’ll simply remove the most dangerous part of my day, and replace it with something tedious.

“Don’t come crying to me when you get bored.”

“I won’t. Rudy’s there.”

I face palm.

I can’t win… innocence is scary.

“...let’s go…”

She’s grown a little more confident in herself these days. She still listens to what I say, but… if it’s inconvenient, she can go against it. My worries of her being dependent on me are still there, but not as much as before. She’s growing up in her own way.

It’s both a win and a loss for me, as I have no idea what game we’re playing.

“Life is tricky ain’t it Sylphy?”

“Yes?”

“As long as you get it.”

After that I took her by the hand, and walk down the living room. As part of my routine I was going to check on the other two members of my family, before taking to the skies, and see how they were doing.

Poking my head through the entrance I see…

“Mmmh… not fair. I was playing this game before you, how are you this good?”

“Foresight?”

“Hmph. Foresight, I have it in spades. I won the last ten games in a row!” Zenith raises her chin, and crosses her arms, looking awfully haughty.

“...before I learned the rules,” Lilia adjusts her glasses. “It’s rather easy to expand one’s tactics when the receiving party doesn’t understand the rules of the game. On that note,” her glasses beam. “I’m sure it’s a coincidence that Madame’s king moved two spaces in the adjacent direction.”

“...that’s called castling…”

“There was no castle.”

“Oh, there wasn’t? My mistake.” Zenith looks out the window.

Just what are these two up to.

Well as long as they're having fun. And was that a glasses tilt I saw? Nice! I approve.

Before me are the two beauties of the Greyrat household.

On the left a demure, allegedly, maroon haired maiden hovering over black chess pieces, and on the right we have the queen of the household, and self proclaimed queen of games; Yugi-I mean! Zenith Greyrat, hovering over the white.

Rah-rah, the crowd goes wild.

Jokes aside, sights like these have become commonplace, and never fail to bring a smile to my face. After so much effort, I feel I did something right.

Muahaha, bow before me, mortals! For I have invented the game of kings!

I lean back, and admire my handiwork.

It’s the little things~

Now this should be good.

Oh, do explain, oh great chess master. Explain how you were trying to make her a great player, by beating her down when she doesn’t know the rules. Please, I need some entertainment.

“Ha ha… it’s an honest mistake you know,” she says rubbing the back of her head. “I-I mean I-It worked right?” She defended herself. “You learned the rules of the game thanks to me, so no harm no foul, right?” Zenith touches her fingertips slyly, looking timidly as she did so.

Nice try. But no. Even I don't believe that. You just wanted to win as long as possible didn’t you?

“Is that so?” Lilia grabs a knight, and places it strategically at an angle, giving her bishop a clear path at the king. “Checkmate,” adjusting her glasses, they shimmer once more.

I see what you did there.

“Eh? But my… eh?” Zenith mutters. She looks up and down from her board to Lilia.

Sorry, but no matter how much you turn your head, you can’t change it. You lost.

Zenith exe. has stopped working.

Good game scrub, but it’s over.

I walked to the table.

“Touch luck mama, but… you created a monster.”

“Rudy!” She rushes at me, and hugs me, dragging me into her chest in a heartbeat, “Lilia’s bullying me! Avenge me?”

“Nope~”

A lot can happen in a day. A lot can happen in an hour. It’s been one month since, and we’ve grown irrevocably closer. All of us. After that night with my performance, the barriers between us withered and fell, and only us remained.

It wasn’t anything immediate. The next day was an awkward day of furtive glances here and there from all parties, as we said only a few words to each other.

But we kept at it.

Pushing and pushing. One more word, one more game, and on, and on, and on. And… Now we’re here.

Where there was once awkward pauses, there are now laughs and banter.

Music is magic. Come at me bro!

A relationship that goes beyond titles and positions. Where honesty is not just the best policy, but the only policy. Lilia and Zenith are closer than ever. I’m closer to Zenith and Lilia, and we’re all much more in forefront with each other. Overall we’re just close.

Speaking of close…

“Air… Mama air,” I struggle to say, tapping at her back.

Maybe sometimes too close.

Rudeus Greyrat; deceased age seven. He died as he lived… smothered in breasts.

Ha! If only.

Pushing away from me, she throws a hand to her chests, dramatically. “Traitors, traitors. Mhuu! I’ll remember this! Next time we’ll play… play… um… checkers? Yeah, checkers. I’ll show you no mercy,” she declares.

So, you’ll cheat?

The funny thing is Zenith loves games.

The funny thing is Zenith sucks at games.

Well at least all the ones I've made.

Sidenote; she’s decent at checkers.

“Rudeus, Sylphiette” Lilia bows her head. “It's a pleasure to have you in our household. Has the master been treating you alright?”

“Mmh!” Sylphy nods her head. “Rudy’s been treating me great. He’s taught me a lot of things. We’re keeping busy,” she says behind me.

Rushing past me she closes the gap between her and Lilia, before pulling on her apron urging her to bend the knee. As she does, Sylphy covers her ear, and whispers into it.

“...I see. I look forward to it,” Lilia adjusts her glasses, glancing at me.

“…if you’re going to conspire against me. At least try to hide it.”

“Sylphy come!” Zenith opens up her arms asking for a hug.

To which Sylphy responds, by diving into her arms.

“Aww! What an adorable girl. If my next child is a girl, I hope she grows up to be as adorable as you.”

“...at adorable,” Sylphy mutters.

“Yes you are! Now how do you feel about playing checkers with me? Together we can get revenge on Rudy and Lily. He’s been hard on you lately right~ don’t you wanna beat him?” she tells her.

“Again, still here. And checkers is a two player game. What are you going to do? Take turns moving the pieces. Stop trying to turn my student against me.”

“What's mine is mine, and what’s yours is also mine. Since Rudy is mine, your students are also my students.”

“What kind of messed up logic is that?! You tyrant! You bully! Who's the real bully here?!”

“Rudy…” she lets go of Sylphy, and walks next to me, kneeling before me, with difficulty with her slightly round belly. before putting a hand on my shoulder, and giving me a tender eyed look. “Rudeus… if there is one truth in this world you should ingrain into your heart, it’s this…” she pauses, closing her eyes and gathering her breath, before reopening them. “A pregnant woman is always right.” She smirks, rubbing her belly as she did so.

Can I bite you?

“...I hate you.”

“Nope,” she boops my nose, tapping it with her index finger, before standing. “You don’t. Now come along,” she pulls me by the hand. “I know you want to play with us.”

A little.

“As tempting as that sounds, I really do have things to do. Maybe later,” I put my free hands on top of hers, and gently separated myself from her.

“Oh? That’s too bad. I guess it can’t be helped,” she turns to Lilia. “Looks like it’s just you and me again. But I’m changing the game! Oh! One more thing,” she turns to me, bending and whispering in my ear. “Could you invent something easier? I want to win one every once in a while too, you know.”

Ha! How Petty! I love it!

“Sure, I’ll think about it. My queen’s word is absolute afterall.”

Think doesn’t mean yes, just that I’ll think it. lol.

Smooch.

At my ‘admittance’ She wraps her arms around my head, and plants a wet one at the side of my face.

“Fugwa?” Words? Escaped my mouth.

…that was… unexpected.

Whoa…

Shit, she made my heart skip a beat.

At least give a man some warning. If I don’t expect it, I can’t react to it. You have any idea how dangerous you are to me?!

“Thank you. Now go out, and have some fun of your own. Watch over him, Sylphy,” she walks to my student, and pats her head. “Rudy sometimes acts before thinking.”

“Yes Ma’am!” She salutes.

“I feel like everyone is having fun at my expense.”

“Not true master,” Lilia interjects. “We’re all having fun with Rudy,” she smiles devilishly. “At Rudy’s expense.”

Indeed very close.

Well… I don’t hate it.

“Hah… silly me, how could I not notice. Anyways, see you in a few hours,” I made for the door.

“Bye Miss Lily, bye Rudy’s mommy,” Sylphy followed.

“Bye, Sylphy. Bye Rudy,” Zenith waved us off.

“So long Sylphiette, so long Master,” Lilia bows.

Opening the house door, I take one last glance behind me to see how they’re doing.

“So what game shall we partake in?” Lilia questioned.

“How about hangman?” Zenith offered. She picks a game she has a keen advantage in. Having a diverse vocabulary, I assume she assumes she has the edge.

“Very well, I’ll get the tiles,” she walks to the case, and pulls out a box holding several tiles representing the alphabet.

Seeing as I’m running low on writing material, I decided to make something more permanent. That could also double as teaching material in the future, and made an alphabetical set ready for Norn and Aisha to play with.

I even went the extra mile and made small pictures representing the letter in the back. The A is for apples, and whatnot.

Two beauties playing with my games.

Priceless.

“Rudy?” Sylphy asks my dazed self.

“Sorry, just… got lost in the moment.” I step outside. “Anyways, let's go have some fun.”

“Lets!”

“Pfft-”

So excitable.

I approve!
///

Klink.

From priceless to pricey.

“I’ve been working on the railroad~”

Klink.

“Aaaalll the livelong day~”

Klink.

“IIII’ve been working on the rail~rail~road! Aaalll the livelong day~”

Klink!

I like singing. I’m not particularly good at it. But when has that ever stopped me?

Hey, I did warn her.

Stuck in the middle of a ditch I’m singing away all my worries, and boredom, as I continue on with the most trivial part of my routine. I was originally going to do this at a later point, digging not the singing, but needless to say there was a change of plans.

Life… surprises you at the weirdest moments.

“All the livelong day~” A melodious voice graces my ears.

Kind of like that.

“Heh~” I poke my head out of the hole, and look over to where my adorable kouhai is singing her heart away.

How nice~

“W-what,” she stops catching my look. “It’s catchy,” she turns her head brisky away from me, her cheeks a rosy complexion.

I approve.

“Hey hey, I didn’t say anything. In fact; I like it. Please keep at it. I’m a fan that you're a fan.” I said, the shit eating smile on my face tugging hard at the corners. “In fact I might become your biggest fan if you keep singing at this rate.”

“...I feel like Rudy’s teasing me,” She puffed out her cheeks.

“Most definitely. But that doesn’t mean I’m lying. A little bit of magic. A little bit of soul. When I hear a mix of both, it can’t be anything, but good. Your voice is sweet.”

Like honey to my ears.

Should I start a loli idol group? I got reincarnated in another world, so I started an Idol-

Wait a minute… That’s actually genius!

Noted for later.

“T-thanks,” she whispers, pulling at a loose hair strand.

“...of course I would tease you, when you make such adorable faces…” I said under my collar, and away from her.

That said…

“You're losing concentration.” I pointed out.

On her knees, the mana glow that was enveloping her hands started to dissipate.

Shaking herself in a panic, she turns away from me, and thrusts her hands back into the ground returning to her exercises. Her glow returning to her. Closing her eyes, and calming her breathing, the mana in the air stirs slightly as her mana invades the ground, and a green glow comes from her hands.

“How’s it going by the way?”

“Mhhu… it’s difficult…” she says through closed eyelids.

I know right!

Adapting accordingly I took Sylphy under my wing and started taking her through my training regime to test her mana sensitivity. I was saving it for a later date, but obviously she needed something to do, less she be stuck here watching me dig for hours.

I don’t care what she says, she would have gotten tired of watching me eventually.

A middle of the road approach was reached, and she now stands beside me as she works on her own little pet project.

I have been rejecting her for the veritable part of a month now that I was starting to feel a little guilty. She really didn't need to latch on my arm like she did, I was planning on making it up to her eventually, this... just sped things along.

Jokes on you green fairy; I was going to take you out sledding.

Honestly, it’s trivial.

Fighting Sudowoodos was fun and all, but it got old as quickly as it started. The limited experience they were giving me by that point was  minimal, and I was more or less just using them for target practice at that point. Their wood was valuable, and I was able to gain some experience fighting them, but by this point I have more wood then I know what to do with.

In any case... I do owe them my thanks. Them and Npc’s who taught them where to find, and scavenge them.

I will never forget you… um…

Laws… Dragonborn?

In any case, monster fighting tactics can wait another day, and we can build up our mana control in the meantime. Our reserves are pretty top tier, and we can increase them at any time. Or rather, just by performing flight, and ‘hops’ with a kite-shield strapped to our back, we're increasing our by the daily. Keeping your mana going while creating a lift is not easy.

As for mana control... mana control is a completely different monster.

There are two kinds of monsters in this world. The monster of quantity, and the monster of quality. One pushes around other through the sheer size of their mana pool. Think Naruto. While the other does it through their sheer power of will. Think Shirou Emiya.

If a quantity monster casts a spell for 100 energy but has a pool of 1000, then the quality monster has a pool of 100 but uses 1 energy instead. Do the math, and the quality monster could theoretically fight ten times longer than the quantity monster, even if he can’t perform some of the top tier spells.

Theoretically.

Needless to say, reality has no reason to adhere to fiction, and doesn’t need to be that way.

Why be one kind of monster when you can be both?

At least that’s the plan, but as she said… It's difficult.

“Alright, tell me what you’re having trouble with?” I changed gears to what really matters; the Monster kouhai under my wing.

I say with love.

“Huh?” She breaks out of her stupor. “Oh right! That’s… hard to say…” She crosses her arm, thinking on it. “...it’s weird… like… I send my mana into the ground, like you told me, and I start seeing things, but… it’s… blurry? I think. Like someone keeps closing my eyes, but I see it! Except when I don’t… It’s weird. Sometimes I see too much, and then nothing at all. It’s weird!”

She said weird three times.

“It also makes my head hurt,” she rubs at the sides of her temple. “Like someone shook my head.”

“Yeahhh… that is… weird,” I shrug, “but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Truth. Mana sensitivity is a sense like any other. Just how everyone has a different sense of pain, and tastes, they have a different feels for mana as well. You can introduce someone to a new taste, but you can’t teach them ‘how’ to taste. It’s something she has to learn on her own.

“Sorry green fairy, but there's some battles you have to fight alone. That said,” I casted heal on her, putting a hand on her forehead, “don’t be too much of a lone-wolf you hear. Take care of yourself, and take breaks. Last thing you want is to pass out in the middle of a ditch.” I patted her. “Trust me, I know. Just keep at it. The fact that you can see anything at all is already leagues better than I was day one.”

Lie… but she doesn’t need to know that.

“Slow down, and enjoy the roses.”

“Hai!” She salutes. “But… can’t you teach me like you always do? It’s easier, when Rudy is guiding me along, and showing me my magic,” she looked up at me with a pleading look.

“Yeah… about that…”

I could… I most definitely could… buuut… considering this less of a spell, and more of a technique, and considering how personal, and... 'intimate' it can be, I'd have to say...

“No.”

Not a chance, little fairy. I know you well. If I give you an inch, you'll take a mile. And I’m not quite ready for that.

Nice try though.

The origin of this technique/exercise is from my good old, emphasis on good, days when I was laying my hands on Lilia, and trying to figure out what’s wrong with her. Prying her open, and ‘taking a look,’ as it were, I developed a technique unique in this world. We’re now using it to look into the ground.

It’s an exercise.

Much like the human body magic is a muscle. It develops through intensity, and effort. And just like their are exercises that focuses on strength, their are exercises that focuses on control. This is one of those exercises. The core which revolves around mana conductivity.

As you would think, it invites its own set of problems when conducting it on the ground rather than a person, but that level of difficulty also makes it ideal as an exercise. A human body consists mostly of water, which is already conductive to begin with, but the ground is... difficult to say the least. An array of elements, metals, solids, and not all of them conductive, and those that are being more or less conductive then others. When sending mana though which rather then getting a main signal like I did during my Lilia days one gets a... symphony of colors.

Truly it's like navigating a river of mud.

Or in simpler terms; it’s a CAT scan.

Bypassing the physical, and looking at the underneath; it's much then a massaging technique.

Using a series of mana pulses to ‘bounce’ around and gather an image, ‘feeling’ your surroundings. It’s a complicated experience, but it's complexities only make it ideal for training

“Why?!” She complained.

“I have my reasons.”

She must never know…

“Besides, everyone feels things differently. It’s better in the long run if you learn this by yourself as what might be ‘dizzy’ for you might be normal for me. You have to build your own normal first. Just keep sending the mana pulses into the ground so I can see where I’m digging.”

“Hmm… okay,” she grumbled, getting back to her knees, and placing her hands on the floor, sending pulses of green energy.

So dutiful~

“I like your hair by the way.” I flattered, before jumping back into the pit and not letting her good work go to waste.

Mana echo technique. Name pending. Is a tricky thing, but definitely worth developing. It might not seem like much from the outside, but... well, I have high aspirations for it in the future.

You know… besides massaging divine beauties…

Although…

In any case, sending waves of mana through the earth I, WE, get a clearer image of what is going on beneath us, and dig unabated. She is my light, and I am her scalpel, and together we reach the more mana sensitive areas underneath.

Mana sensitive areas usually being the most costly.

I’m a genius!

...the broke kind...

Funny thing about that...

As I’ve started making moves for myself, making plays, writing songs, games, kites, etc. etc. I’ve come to a grave realization.

Living is expensive~

I mean I knew, I always knew, but there's a difference between knowing, and ‘knowing.’

Being the young spoiled master I am, I simply didn’t notice. Not really lacking in anything, and being provided with everything I want. I never noticed the perception of money. In short; my monetary senses are skewered. It should have been obvious, but… I had other things on my mind.

Anyways I’m broke.

Needless to say I’m doing something about that, and taking liberties with today’s lesson.

Hence… Operation Gold digger… name pending.

“...I wish I could learn transmutation,” my inner wishes leak. “No… I wished I had paid enough attention in chemistry class to remember chemical compositions. If I could, I would cheat the fuck out of this world. Hahh… oh, well… lesson learned.”

Seriously, how was I supposed to know I would be isekaid?!

That would have been a good way to get your students attention. ‘Please pay attention class, you never know the day this equation would make you filthy rich.’

Another life~

Raising my head to the surface I take a look at all our hard work, and my little digger next to me.

A few holes here and there from my previous solo runs without her. Mounds of dirt ignored. A pile of profits in the distance, and a studious kouhai at my feet helping me as her hands glow a bright green. It's a unique sight to say the least.

So dutiful~

Good news; we found several metals. Zinc, copper, etc. Bad news; no gold.

Best news; I did get to strengthen her if the fact that she’s getting more headaches is anything to go by. All in all, a good day's work I suppose.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and these are my beginnings. On top of Red Dragon mountain.

“Phew,” I wiped the sweat off my brow as I took a break. “How you doing over there, Sylphy?!”

“Tired!”

Sounds about right.

“Take a break."

There is such a thing as ‘too’ dutiful.

“A little exercise is all good and all, but don’t be pulling a me now. Your father will be angry if he finds out you pulled a magic muscle,” I stretched my hands to the sky as easing my shoulders back into place.

“How do you pull magic?!”

“You want to find out?”

One leapfrog and I’m out of the pit.

“Seriously... at ease already," I offered her a hand as I look down at her. "Teacher’s orders.”

“...okay.” Demurely, but obediently, she takes it, and follows me out of the pit.

Teachers orders are absolute~

“Whew,” I breathed out. “We sure are finding quite a few things. No, gold though… kind of sad about that.”

“Why did Rudy think there would be gold here?”

“I mean… this is called the Red dragon mountain range, and dragon’s love gold, and… there's gold in mountains, sooo… you know… money?” I finished a little unsure of myself.

“...Rudy is silly.”

I flinched at that.

“T-that’s…” I couldn’t deny it.

Don’t blame me, blame the plot. In a world of cliches, of course I’d go cliche hunting if I thought I’d benefited.

It was a bust.

“I-it wasn’t a complete loss,” I patted the pile beneath me. “We made a good amount of money right? A-and we’re getting stronger, so i-it’s definitely time well spent."

“Rudy…” she pokes my face. “Your face is red.”

“It’s your imagination, and why do you keep poking me?”

“Miss Lilia said it’s how you show affection.”

“That’s…” not completely inaccurate. “What else has she told you?”

“Heh heh~” Sylphiette’s eyes squinted as she leaned in and smiled.

Ominous.

“Sooo,” I brushed off her finger, changing the subject. “How did you feel about today’s training anyway?”

She jolts.

“...hate it,” she grumbled, looking away from me.

That much huh.

“Well… It’s not like I don’t understand.”

“But…” she turns back to me. “I also know Rudy wants what’s best for me, and… he wouldn’t just push me around for the sake of pushing me. I trust Rudy’s teachings, sooo…” she played with her fingers, poking them tentatively, “I don’t mind a few headaches. That just means I'm getting stronger. And if I get stronger…” she peeks at me, “then I can be someone Rudy relies on..." She whispered the last part.

“...that’s not wrong.”

“Then I’ll do my best!” She pumps her fist. “If Rudy can think about our future then so can I!”

Uh… that’s also not wrong, but… wording.

“You sure say the craziest things.”

“???”

“Never mind,” I ruffled my hair. “I wonder what Roxy would say if she could see us now?”

She gave me a deadeye stare.

“...she’d probably tell you to take it easy on me, or else.”

“That's…”

I couldn’t outright deny that.

I look around at the holes around me, as well as her disheveled appearance. A muddy figure from playing in the dirt, messy hair glistening from sweat and ambient mana use, and dusty palms and knees from working all day.

…it probably would look like that for an outsider huh?

Her ears wiggle a little. Her lips a cheshire grin.

Fuck, she noticed.

“Payback~” she jumps at me, tickling me.

... or tried to.

“Ha ha ha… R-Rudy s-stop…”

Catching her mid stride, I threw her over my lap, and started attacking the back of her ear and nape. Applying a light mana touch here and there for added effect.

“You're a thousand years too early if you think you can get the jump on me. Try to be less obvious with your attacks. Roxy sensei is rolling in her grave.”

“She’s n-not d-deaaaad!”

“Oh that’s right,” I stopped tickling her to bop my head. “Tee-hee~”

“...If Roxy was here I would have won...”

“If Roxy were here she’d tell you to cut it down with the theatrics."

“All’s fair in love and war.”

“...I did say that, didn't I,” I admitted. “What have I created?” I fake acted, putting a hand to my forehead for dramatic effect.

“Heh heh~”

Taking a glance down at her on my lap I see a smile spreading across her face. From the bottom of her heart it’s a smile bright as day. A little dirty. A lot happy. And resting on top of me without a care in the world.

A fairy bathing in light.

In another life~

“Sylphy never grow up.”

“Why does everyone keep telling me that?!”

“As they should!”

“I want to grow too!”

“Rejected!”

“Rudy!”

What do girls her age like? Fairy tales?

“I’m going to spoil you.”

“Rud-” she stops. “...wait, really?”

This girl…
///

Klink.

One break later, and I’m still going at it. Maybe I was being paranoid. Maybe I was reading too much into things, but something just didn't feel right by me. The more we dig the easier it’s supposed to get. The dizzy feeling she kept reporting should have stopped, not persisted as we kept digging on. That’s when I decided to get to the bottom of this, and did some Mana Echoes of my own, and… found a familiar pattern from long ago. Specifically; Lilia’s Cat scan day’s.

Klink!

“Finally!” I yelled.

Throwing away the pickaxe, I moved the earth, swiping at the ground and revealing an obsidian piece underneath. The same piece that was annoying us so persistently.

“Jackpot~”

“What is it?!” Sylphy’s voice washes over me as she yells from the surface.

“No idea!”

“Then why did you yell?!”

“Dramatic effect!

“Rudy!”

“Sylphiette!”

It’s the little things.

Anyways!

Throwing my hands into the pit, I part the earth around me, picked at the rocks, and finally pulled out the dark piece as the dark as the night sky. Holding it above me I admired its porcelain beauty. Like an eclipse in my hand.

“It’s like someone cut out the sky, and dropped it there.”

“Ruuudyyy!” Her voice washes over me one more time.

I should go up.

Drawing the mana to the soles of my feet, I raise a small wind, and leapfrog my way to the surface, joining her finally.

“...kept you waiting huh?”

“You said you’d be done in five minutes,” she crosses her arms looking crossed.

“That’s true… but in my defense, it’s very hard digging blind.”

“...the sun is setting…” she looks at the sunset, pursing her lips.

Well… when all else fails, play to your strengths. I snuck my hand behind her, and patted her head.

“It will rise tomorrow. Tomorrow is all yours. We can do whatever you want,” I whispered in her ear.

“...you promise?” She tilts her head to the side looking up at me with puppy dog eyes.

“Yep.”

“Pinky?”

“The pinkiest.”

“Okay… I don’t mind a few more minutes.”

“That’s my Sylphiette for you,” I ruffled her hair. “Anyways, here you go.” I tossed the small black stone to her. “It took up more of my attention than I thought, but I finally found the source of all our headaches. Send your mana through it, and we can call it a day."

Blinking owlishly at me, she looks over the stone, holding it to her eye, before bringing it to her chest, and running her mana over it

Yup, over.

“Heh?”

Her eyes go wide as she stops, before looking in my direction.

“I know right.”

“B-b-but, huh?!” She waved it around. “...did… Did I mess up?” She sends mana into it again, or trying to, as the mana slides over it instead, giving it a green glow.

“Ha ha… nope all good on all accounts. It’s just not registering. No matter how much mana you send to it, it’s just gonna bounce off it. Weird right~”

“...”

Lost in her own little world she didn’t notice my little jab, and continued sending pulses at it.

I’m being ignored.

Well that's fine too.

It, whatever it is, is a mana resistant stone to the point of immunity. I’m not quite sure what that entails, but I do know the implications. In a world filled where everything is mana conductive to a degree something like this can’t be anything but valuable.

Jackpot.

As I kept sending pulses of mana into the ground I kept receiving little to no signal in return. It kept happening again and again, when it shouldn’t have, so I got serious, and started sending stronger pulses in return. Getting a clearer image, but not of the stone itself, but of its surroundings. The obsidian piece  simply persisted my attempts of viewing it, and instead only appeared as a black dot on my radar then anything else. 

…just like Lilia’s blockage from all those days ago…

“So… weird…” Sylphy continued playing. Waving it around, and sending mana through it, or trying to, she persists as if she found a new toy.

Priceless.

I still don’t know what it is. Technically. But… it’s clearly of similar origin to Lilia’s blockage.

It was a crazy twist of fate, but somehow I encountered a material similar to what I found in Lilia’s bloodstream. Mana resistant materials are either more prominent then I first thought, or Lilia’s leg had some kind of shrapnel mixed into her, that somehow diluted over time.

In any case, my massages with her helped me to ‘see’ what’s supposed to be impossible to see, and get to the bottom of this.

A lack of presence is still a presence.

“...soo…” She places the stone right next to me. “That’s… cool and all, but… you’re done now right? Can we play now?”

But Sylphy could care less about that.

“Yes, we can play.”

“Yay!” She starts jumping. Like a bunny on a sugar high her excitement is contagious.

Seriously, what is this adorable creature? Can I keep it? I just wanna stuff her into my right pocket, with all my treasures. Dibs?

I stuffed away the stone at my hip, before reaching out and patting her.

“Yeah, yeah, I get it. Settle down, you’ll fall into a hole.”

“Heh heh~” Nuzzling against me, she leaned her head in, a cute giggle escaping her. Mixed with her dusty appearance calling her a bunny type beastman wouldn’t be wrong.

I’m definitely trademarking her.

“Anyways, we’re done here,” I stopped patting her, earning me a pout, but continuing nonetheless. “These grounds are no good to train in as there one too many mana resistant stones mixed with regular ones that it’s going to mess with your senses, before you even get a good sense to begin with. We’ll just get headaches if we keep at it,” I patted my satchel, “For now let’s call it a day, and do something else.”

“-yes…” She says in a rushed whisper, pumping her fist to her chest, and huddling.

I saw that.

“But~” I say, earning her a flinch, “we still have to clean.”

“Eh?” She looks around. Looking from side to side, she sees the veritable mess we made while training, a hole here, several holes there; It’s a minefield.

“Eh?”

Her ears droop.

She looks at me with a slightly aghast look.

It’s the little things~

///

One clean up later, and we’re now going down the mountain.

It took only a few minutes much to her chagrin, as Sylphy looked at me with saucer-like eyes when I finished. I think she thought we were going to stay there as long as we started.

Hmph! I’ll have you know I’m your teacher for a reason.

Because there's no one here too teach you-

But besides that it’s because I’m amazing!

Anyhow, one small clean up later, and we're now going down the mountain, and heading to our next destination. That being the horse prepared at the bottom of the mountain. Having decided this was going to be a profit day over an experience day, we made a quick stop by Geralt’s first, Law’s fried, and asked to borrow his horse. In exchange he gets a few metals, and we get something to carry it all the way home.

Flying is simple enough business when it’s just us and our twenty pound kite shield on our back, but carrying around a hundred pounds worth of metals while doing so…

That's a little beyond our abilities. Even with strengthening magic such a trip would be pushing it.

Anyhow, all in all, a very productive day.

I didn’t get as much done as I would like, and I’m not much richer then when I started, but in the end I was able to teach Sylphy something new, and found a rare element to boot.

So all in all… success?

I took a glance at her, knees shaking, and knapsack heavy with all her efforts.

“...”

Truly… I’m indebted to her in many ways. It wasn’t in the plan, it never is, but… it was fun. It always is.

If nothing else I can say that much.

Just having someone to talk to goes a long way.

“Sylphy, stand still for a moment.”

“Hmm?”

Going around her, I picked at her bag a little, and tossed a few stones at the side.

“We don’t need them that badly.”

“...thank you?”

“Don’t mention it.”

Seriously, don’t. I’m the one that’s thankful here.

“Soooo… sledding?” She asks, never skipping a beat, skipping alongside me.

“You never miss a chance do yah?”

“You’ve kept me waiting.”

“Well... I can't deny that... and a promise is a promise.”

“Yes, yes it is. Lying is bad. Rudy said so!”

“Undoubtably. A pinky promise too.”

“Pinky promises are sacred!”

“Indeed they are, but… please be patient with me. I still have to return Geralt’s horse and pickaxe. We can’t slide anywhere with all this weight on us.”

“...mhuu…” She pouts.

“I’m not saying no. I just gotta finish this chores first. Or did you want to follow me-”

“I’ll follow you everywhere!” She yells, stumbling a little.

“...”

…somehow I feel like she was waiting all day to yell that…

“Do as you want. Your fault if you get bored.”

“Yay!” She smiles brightly, throwing her hands in the air, and hobbling a little for her troubles.

Well how about that~ Don’t mind if I do~

“Boop.” I step.

“Kya!”

Sneaking a mana pulse to the ground beneath us I cause her to slip a little, and stumble. Throwing her hands she tries to catch herself, before I catch her half-way.

“Ha ha ha.. I’m s-sorry, I’m s-sorry! I couldn’t resist.”

Looking up at me, her face is priceless.

Befuddled, red, dizzy, and slightly dazed. She makes for a wonderfully cute tomato as she looks up at me in my arms more than a little confused. If this was an anime I swear her eyes would be spinning.

I want to tease her!

“What? Are you falling for me?” I said playfully, running a finger in her hair, while giving her a little smirk before she takes it too seriously.

“I hate you…” she said, face still red. And a pout to boot.

“No, you don’t,” I prop her back up.

Can only play with someone's heart for so long, before you're cruel.

I’ll stop for now.

“Alright, let’s go!”

Regardless, I’ll protect her with my life. More valuable than gold is the relations we make along the way. From housewives to friends next door. It's for my friends I'd go to the ends of the earth for them.

I almost sounded like a shonen protagonist there...

I get the appeal now.

But seriously…

“Thank you.”

Two happy women back home. One adorable student. And a mountain of goodies filling my pockets. All smiles everywhere I turn.

You know what… fuck it. Let’s throw caution to the wind one last time.

“Sylphy... is your kite in good condition?”

“Huh? Ah! H-hai! I t-take good care of my treasures.”

“Perfect, did Roxy ever tell you about windsurfing?”

She nods her head slowly.

“Perfect. Get ready to experience a water slide.”

The kite might be thin, but it should be able to endure one trip.

“What about the bags?” She tilts her head looking over her shoulder.

“Fuck them. We’ll take it off, and leave it here. It’s not like there's thieves scour the mountains anyways. We’ll come back when we need 'em. As for you, you’ve waited long enough. Let’s have fun.”

She blushes, turning her head to the side, and putting a sleeve over her mouth.

I patted her.

This is probably a flag, but at the moment I don’t care. My heart is just overwhelmed with treasure.

“R-Rudy, what are you doing?”

“Nothing~ just something I promised myself today.  Want me to stop?” With one arm around her, my other pats her head.

“...I didn’t say that,” she leans into it before going quiet.

So calming.

This is priceless.

25