33. Zenith Wins
1.3k 13 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rudy[pov]

Hmm, it hasn’t breaked.

In. And out. In. And out…

I popped the glider in my arms over and over, testing it. I’ve been doing that for a while now. Almost hoping that it would break for me to recess on our deal, but I can’t, since he held up his end of the bargain.

At first I was a bit doubtful, if he really could provide anything of value. This was the man whose idea of teaching terms involved Kablow after all, but turns out he’s just an idiot when it comes to combat. When it comes to hands-on projects…

Well, no… he’s still an idiot, but he is unexpectedly useful.

He used subjective terms like ‘put the wheely hear,’ and ‘make sure it’s just right,’ but unlike toki where we’re literally working with an alien concept, I can at least understand the gist of what he’s saying, and so in exchange… In exchange all I had to do was to put Zenith and Paul in speaking terms.

…I still have mixed feelings about this.

Helping me out with the inner workings of certain skills that would make me some money. As a way to prove his skills, and get something for all my trouble, I convinced him to work on my kite-shield.

Or just kite now.

Unlike Sylphy whose kite is in pristine condition mine has…

Well… this is my third version.

Maybe I fly a little recklessly, or maybe it’s the fact that I’m gaining weight. It’s muscle I assure you. But I’m a bit reckless with my creations. Breaking down or getting torn, I had to recreate it from scratch many a times. Lucky for me it’s a simple enough process of replacing sticks and straps, every time except the last time, but it still leaves little to be desired.

Needless to say, kite 3.0 has had several modifications to it.

Thanks to Paul… I suppose.

The modifications we made were simple, but effective. Same as Paul. It went from being one big piece that I had to lug around, to being four interchangeable pieces attached together. Unlike before, where it was essentially a shield with slightly bigger straps to paraglide, it now has a pulley system at key parts, making it easier to bend inward and outward. Less of a shield and more of a glider I now have the ability to fold it completely, and pack it away nicely.

It’s essentially a pop-up book.

…although the design kind of reminds me a bit of a cootie catcher.

Anyways, It is extremely useful. It lost some of its durability as a shield, but it was already thin to begin with. I was never gonna stop much besides the occasional stray arrow or two, and I much prefer avoiding attacks altogether than tanking them head on. So sacrificing durability for mobility is a sacrifice I can live with.

Thanks to little beauty, I’m confident I can escape any situation.

Hmm, not a bad name; Little Beauty~

Name pending…

“In any case…”

Collapsing the shield one last time tucking it into my knapsack, I prepare for the walk back home. I can only delay the inevitable for so long. Besides, even if I did, I know Paul would not hesitate to throw me under the bus as a way to get on Zenith’s good side by showing his parenting side to her. It's a lose lose situation. So I might as well get something out of this.

“I really don’t have any leverage here do I. Don’t make me regret this old man.”

Still hate this though.

I learned a few other things. Sewing, crafting… speech, and a little bit of woodworking.

Now… now It’s time to pay the piper.

“Here goes nothing,” I opened the door, and got ready for my little mother-son bonding time.

…that Paul will ‘coincidentally’ interrupt later.

“Hahhhh…” my exasperation leaks.

How’s that saying goes? The road to hell is paved with good intentions?

Now I wonder… who fits that theme better, me, or him?

“Fuck my life,” I lament. “Well… at least I get to spend time with Zenith, so that’s a plus. Just focus on the beauty beside you, and not the devil by your shoulder. Yeah… that’s what I’ll do.”

///

Whoosh. Whoosh. Whoosh.

A kite dances merrily in the wind, as the wind dances it here and there.

Well, technically I’m making it dance in the wind, but it’s not like anyone can tell.

It’s good to have magic.

On a sunny day, with the scent of spring flowers in the air, me and Zenith are simply flying a kite. A nice and relaxing evening. So calming. So beautiful.

Just me, a beauty, and-

“I told Alice and Laws about the pond we visited that one time, and they seemed interested in visiting it,” said Paul.

Him.

“Oh. that’s nice.” Zenith says absentmindedly, before redoubling her efforts in flying the kite with me. Her figure draped over me, she stood behind me, as our hands intermingled and pulled at the string.

She is currently using me as a shield.

It seems I am not the only one dissatisfied with this turn of events, of which I am a little happy about.

Ok, maybe more than a little, but nothing I can do about it.

A deal is a deal.

Flying kites over the hill I am holding up my end of the bargain. It's the same hill Sylphy and I usually hang out in. A pleasant place with a pleasant enough view that really calms the soul. Far enough from the village to avoid everyone, yet not far enough to be bothered by monsters. The perfect place to just sit down, and relax.

You know… excluding the time we’re not flying or hopping around this place.

That aside, it really is a calming place.

I can smell spring.

Ok, it’s kind of dull.

But Sylphiette likes it!

Anyways, we’ve done this dance from time to time, and it seemed like a good chance to play with Zenith. In this age with little to no entertainment even flying a kite is quite novel.

Hmm… I felt like there's a joke there?

Plus it’s the type of activity expected of my age. It makes Zenith happy.

I rarely get to act my age, and it’s irksome at times, but little things like this do put a smile on her face, and hence a smile on mine. So a little childish fun would do us both some good.

Too bad I have to share it with Paul.

True to my word, I’m letting him take his shot, giving him the tip that he wanted, and setting up the playdate.

But that’s it.

I am showing him the door, and that is all there is to it. If he happens to trip and fall, that’s also on him. I’m neutral.

That said…

I didn’t think being in the backseat to all this melodrama would be as annoying as it has been.

I now know how parents feel when their children are fighting in the back seat.

Behave yourselves or I will turn this Isekai around!

Paul has been trying his best to get Zenith’s attention, but has been getting less than stellar results. She keeps giving him curt responses. And he keeps trying to force it. What can you say, except that no plan survives initial implementation.

Good luck Paul.

Just kidding, keep failing.

Buuut… he just keeps going, and going, and going…

I turn to look at him.

At some point perseverance becomes annoying you know?

It seems he forgot that.

It seems he forgot a lot of things.

Like if he pushes her too hard I’d push back.

I’m a man of my word, but Zenith is still my number one, and I will easily go against my needs if the ‘price’ ever becomes too much. Call me childish, call me traitor, but you're the one that decided to make deals with children. Should have read the fine print.

Tee-hee~

Feeling my stare he looks back at me, and tries to communicate.

Yeahh-no, that wasn’t part of our deal. You don’t get any outside help. Now deal with it.

I wonder if that was communicated?

Turning away from him I go back to minding my own business. If I can’t see him, he doesn't exist.

I wonder what Sylphy is doing? What does she do when I’m not with her?

As I’m lost in thought, his voice starts fading, and I keep enjoying Zenith’s warm embrace as a gentle breeze blows by. Pleasant company making for pleasant memories.

If I didn’t have her, I’d be lost.

Distracting myself from the familial drama behind me I start manipulating the wind, and adjusting the Kite as I make it dance in the wind very much like Sylphiette did yesterday. Lost in my musings I imagine Sylphy tied to the end of the string, as I swing her about.

…maybe Laws was right about me…

It almost works as a suitable distraction if it wasn’t so noisy behind me. Fuddled rambling happening, That and… there's one… or two, distractions that constantly press upon my shoulders giving me even more mixed feelings.

They’re pressing against me. Zenith’s Zeniths are pressing softly into my back…

Every time Paul becomes particularly annoying, she hugs me a little tighter, and… certain assets of hers break me from my fancy. In essence every time she’s bothered, she ‘bothers’ me, but in a very different sense.

My feelings could not be more mixed.

Well… this too is part of spring.

…between heaven and hell…

As I’m battling my inner demons, I can only wonder how things look like from her point of view. One moment we’re flying kites about to bond, then all of a sudden a wild Paul appears.

Terrifying. Where’s my pepper spray?

…note to self: invent pepper spray...

But seriously, what a stupid plan?

He decides to show up midday, when he’s supposed to be doing his round, and he just so happens to have his own kite with him.

Really?

Don’t know if he thought hard about the implications. But he’s obviously ‘too’ well prepared for today. But this was his plan, so who am I to disagree.

Lol.

Zenith might be a little… on the naive side, but she’s not an idiot. An if you treat her as such…

Well… it’s your funeral.

“...so this summer-”

Oh! He was still talking.

“Me, you, Rudy, the babies, and even Lilia could go out with them, and make a whole af-... make a whole celebration of it.”

I heard that. Even if I’m rootin-

Oh, wait. I’m not.

Even if I’m ‘Rudy-ing,’ for your failure

Hmm nice, pun. I’m getting better at these. Where was I?

Even if I’m Rudy-ing for your failure, there are certain words you don’t say. Affair? Seriously? Did all that time sleeping outside freeze your brain? What happened to the suave adult that could dissect a conversation?

He has a strong case of foot-in-mouth itis.

Well, it works out better for me, so don’t let me stop you.

“Hmm~” Zenith hums. “Rudy, are you sure you don’t want to change locations?”

She’s getting annoyed.

Sorry, unfortunately you have to put up with him, if only for a little while. It’s part of the deal. Stay strong, and I’ll stay strong too.

…and sorry.

I apologized to her sincerely in my heart.

“Um… no, this is the best spot. I don’t think I’ll get a better view of the village than here. It’s all plains everywhere else.”

Realistically, I can fly a kite anywhere. I have wind magic after all, but hopefully she doesn’t pick up on that.

Sorry Blonde Fairy. Just humor this idiot. I’ll make it up to you later somehow, just not now.

Back massage?

“Fine…” she mutters.

“So dear, speaking of babies, how are you feeling these days? Is morning sickness still a thing? Has the baby started kicking? Oh! Do you have any cravings, I remember when-”

“I’m fine!” She hollers.

You’re coming off a bit strong, their old man.

“Rudy, the wind is hitting me from this angle, do you mind if we move over there?”

“No, not all.”

She grabs my hand, and leads me off to the tree in the distance and we stand with a tree to her back, and… outside a certain someone’s view.

I see.

“The wind huh,” I said in a low voice.

“You said something dear?” she said

“Nope~ Nada~ Just talking to myself.”

Standing under the tree, a gentle wind blows through as I continue to dance the kite in the wind. Standing under the tree's shadow, her hands on my shoulders, there is nothing but the plains before us, as a certain third wheel lays forgotten on the other side of the tree.

Nice. I approve.

“Dear?” Paul’s voice carries as he pokes his head through. Walking tentatively towards her he meekly falls to her side, and calms his approach.

Guess he hasn’t lost all his senses.

Should I praise his instincts or his guts?

“Yes? D-E-A-R?” She emphasizes every letter. She’s smiling sweetly, and still holding me, but… her smile doesn’t reach her eyes. Eyes closed, she does not radiate any of the warmth you usually associate with her.

Uh… yeah… you should really abort old man. In fact if you don’t I’m sending you off. I’ll be doing you a favor. Your life is in danger!

Well, probably not, but you’re starting to get on her nerves if her grip on my shoulders is anything to go by.

“Um… nothing. I just thought I told you I… ah… made you something?”

“Oh? What did you make me exactly?”

“Well, not you exactly, but… our baby, the next one.”

Her grip lessens…

I see…

“If you follow me I can show you. I’ll show you something I think you’d like.”

Zenith’s hold on me tightens once more.

“Hahh…” A sigh escapes my mouth.

People's hearts are a mysterious thing. The heart wants what the heart wants, but what if you don’t know what you want?

A person’s heart is a hard thing to understand, in any era, in any world, close or not, but feelings can still be understood for those willing to listen.

Yet, sometimes you don’t know if you should trust your ears.

I don’t know her exact thought process. I’m not a mind reader. But I do feel that through our time together, I’ve been able to pick a thing or two about her, like the sensitivity of her grip, the sensitivity of her heart, and her heart…

Or maybe mine…

Is saying that this is a step too far.

Calming her down I caress the back of her hand, a habit from our times in bed, as I remind her that I’m still here.

As per my deal I can’t say anything. But this much is still possible. Sometimes a touch is all one needs.

At least that’s my experience.

I hope she gets the message.

Without turning around I feel her grip lessen, and can feel her being more at ease.

“Hmph, can’t you see that this is our precious Rudy/Zeny time, you can show me later?” She says.

So there’s a later?

“Of course… dear,” he says with a smile on his face.

…it looks like he noticed it too.

Can I punch that face?

Maybe I really should retake those sparring lessons he offered if only so I can hit him.

I have… many dissatisfactions…with…’this,’ but… I can endure.

At least her mood is better.

Looking at Zenith on my shoulder, I try to get a good read on her face, only for her to notice me, and smile back in turn. Beautiful. She’s happy that is all that matters.

That said…

I summoned a wind, chantlessly, and directed it at Paul's kite, blowing it away.

“W-what is-oh no!” He yells. Running after it until his visage fades from view.

Sorry, not sorry, but your time is up.

All good things must come to an end, and you got what you wanted now it’s my turn. This is mother-son bonding time after all, and I want her smile all for myself at this moment. So good luck next time, and don’t lessen your grip.

Sayonara~

“I thought he’d never leave,” I muttered.

“You know your father,” she moves her hands from the kite string to my shoulders. “He can be… invasive.”

“You know you could have denied him.”

“Weren’t you the one that wanted to stay?”

“Well, yeah…”

But couldn’t you fight me on it. As long as I have some leeway I could have kicked him out.

It wouldn’t be that hard to convince me you know? It would have looked weird to him if I had set this date up, and then backed off so early in our deal, but if you had fought me on this, I would have enough plausible deniability to fight him a little.

Well it’s over now.

“I had to stay here, but you didn’t. It only takes one person to fly a kite.”

That’s my story, and sticking to it.

“And miss out on our mother-son bonding time. Never!” She squeezes me tightly.

…their pressing against me…

After sleeping with her for so long, I’ve long since become familiar with this feeling, but I’m usually too sleepy, to think too hard about it, and it’s only for a moment. Now I’m fully awake and fully aware of the situation. But really… I really have been sleeping with a supermodel this whole time haven’t I.

If this was the modern world, she would definitely be a model.

A pregnant one.

Before I get too lost in my musings, a third bump that takes notice, as it presses against me.

“Are you sure you should be hugging me like that, isn’t it hard on your belly?”

“Not really. I just have to arch my back a little to hug you. Besides, if I put a little pressure like this,” I feel a pressure against me as her belly is pressed slightly more against my back, “I get to hug both my babies simultaneously!”

You are… an angel.

“I guess… he did bring a good point though. How is the baby? Has she started kicking?”

“She? Rudy really wants a baby sister doesn’t he?” She says playfully in my ear.

Something like that.

“What can I say… it’s fate.”

Or plot… Whichever you prefer.

“Heeeh~ fate huh,” she says. Even without turning I can ‘feel’ the smirk as her voice carries into my ear.

“The baby is fine. She, or he, is starting to get lively. She starts to kick whenever she gets happy. Want a feel?” She walks over to my side, rubbing her belly in invitation.

“Uh… sure,” I accepted, kneeling down, and laying my hand on her stomach, rubbing her belly.

To think there's a life in here.

“She’s quiet,” I mutter.

“Or he,” she added, “but yeah… it’s a little early. She’s more active at night, but you never know… she might kick for her big brother.”

“I see…” I say in a daze, rubbing her belly.

Norn… Norn is in here. I wonder what life she is going to be born to.

The future is unknown. The future is terrifying. But still… I’m kind of excited. I’m… I’m going to be a brother… again… but… I won’t be around for them. So… much to think about. So many everythings. BUT! For sure, I will be there for her infancy. Maybe one day Zenith will tell her stories about her famous big brother.

Who knows. I’m looking forward to it.

Parenthood is something else.

Should I really just move out of the way, and let Paul do his thing?

Perhaps I should, but…

I look up at Zenith’s smiling face.

I don’t want to. Not yet. I want to be a little more selfish, just a little while longer. I won’t always be here, so while I can I want to spoil her, and be spoiled by her. Afterall, Paul has them for the rest of his lives. Me? I’ll only have them for a few years.

“You know… I don’t see Paul near here, I don’t think he’ll notice if we leave.”

Plus if we leave now, while he’s away, I have plausible deniability that we simply decided to leave for clearer skies, and he can’t say otherwise.

Magic really is the best.

“I thought you said the wind was best here.”

“My mistake,” I opened my hands letting go of the kite string that was in between her stomach and my palm, creating a small gust of wind, and with a twist of my wrist, sent it flying away. “It seems the wind is stronger in that direction,” I give her a wink.

“Rudy, that’s so…” she turns her head from side to side, before bending down and whispering, “let's go quickly before he comes back.”

“Ha ha…” I kiss her on the cheek. “I love you.”

I grab her hand and pull her along, intending to lead her to quieter plains, before feeling resistance, and turning around to see what happened.

Standing stock still, Zenith freezes in place, her eyes wide open.

It confuses me for a moment, before I decide to reset her, squeezing her hand and waking her from her stupor.

“What are you waiting for? Are you going to let him get between us? Or are you going to have some fun. Let’s go!” I pull.

“Y-yes, l-lets go,” she followed along, tripping a little on the first step.

This is nice.

I promised him his chance, and I did. Now it’s my turn.

Sorry not sorry, but my time with her is limited while yours is not.

Until our next deal, I’ll be monopolizing Zenith’s time exclusively. For at least three more months. After that…

Who knows?

Better luck next time Paul.

Loser.

///

Zenith [pov]

“Hmm~ mmh~ Hmm~”

This isn’t half bad. I am currently the most popular woman in the household-no, the village, and… I like it.

A couple weeks ago, Paul finally decided to up his game, and started to try and woo my favor. It was slightly annoying at first, but… I didn’t dislike it. In fact, I kind of like the attention, all of the attention.

Including Rudy’s.

It’s been an interesting couple of days.

For a second I thought Rudy would have taken the first opportunity to escape such situations. Lord knows he looked like he ate something sour every time it happened, but despite it all, he stayed, and let Paul make things up to me.

It was surprising at first but I wasn't against it. Now that I’ve buried things with Lilia a lot of my anger has dissipated, so hearing him out was the least I could do. At least a little. It reminds of our early days, when my husband was trying his best to woo me. It was annoying at time, but quite endearing to look back upon, but the best part is… Rudy is jealous.

“Heh heh~”

I’m a bad mama~

For a moment I did consider shutting Paul down, if only to see his face, but there was an unintended side effect to his doings. Rudy was getting possessive. Every time his father comes along, and tries to woo me, he did the same and try to carry my favor. Paul brings a kite, he brings his own. Paul would bring in sweets, Rudy would help me cook. Paul would show me the stroller he made for the baby, Rudy would show me stories he’s prepared for them. Paul would do chores to help ease my burden, and Rudeus would give me a foot massage for all my efforts.

Again, and again this cycle would repeat.

“He he~ I’m being spoiled~”

And I love it.

Does this make me a bad mom?

Don’t care!

Right now I have my two favorite men jumping through hoops to please me, and it’s… thrilling. It’s unfortunate one of them is my own son, but it doesn’t change the fact how nice it feels to be attended to.

I feel like I’m queen of a castle.

I put my hands to my face, as the blood rushes to it.

No good… the smile on my face won’t go down.

Honestly, it’s difficult to hide my smile at times like these. I’m almost ‘too’ happy with how everything turned out. That my Rudy time comes after my Paul time is just the cherry on the cake.

But seriously no good… at this rate I’ll become a sloven woman.

I look down at my belly.

I-it’s fine. It's a baby bump, and that’s all it is! I’m not fat! I'm radiant! Radiant, I say!

“Lilia!”

“Yes, Zenith.”

“Kya!” I jerked up, off guard. “W-Where did you come from?”

How does she do that?!

“I’ve been here the whole time ma-Zenith.”

“W-Why didn’t you say anything?”

I almost said some embarrassing things! Please tell me when you’re here!

“You looked quite jovial. I didn’t want to interrupt.”

“W-Well… you’re right, just… ahem,” I cleared my throat, “please tell me next time.”

“Of course,” she tilted her glasses.

Is she… smiling?

“Mhhhu! Anyways! I’m bored. Let's do something.”

She flinches.

“Ah… madame… that’s fine. I can do everything myself,” she states.

“That’s fine Lily, but I want to do something. I’ve been a little… lazy lately. Oh!” I clap my hands, “I know let’s tend to my garden. It’s spring now, and we almost forgotten. We should start moving my babies, and prepare for the coming season.”

“Um… that.... those pots are a little heavy. I-I’ll tend to it. There’s no reason for you to force yours-”

“Nonsense, I love gardening. I want to do it.”

“I… see…” Lilia looks over her shoulder.

Something is off?

“Is something wrong Lilia?”

“No, nothing. It’s just…” she looks behind her, before returning to face me, “...I am simply talking to myself. I didn’t say anything to you madame, but… the young master ordered me to not let you do any heavy lifting… including gardening.”

“Heavy… lifting?” I raised a brow.

“Heavy lifting,” she reiterated.

“My flower pots are hardly heavy.”

“He was insistent.”

“Well,” I put a finger to her lips, shushing her. “What Rudy doesn’t know won’t hurt him?”

“B-but Zenith-”

“It’s fine. We’ll only grab the little one’s. We’ll save the big ones for Rudy. That should be fine right, everyone wins.”

“I… I don’t know,” Lilia looks down crestfallen.

Eh? Is it really that bad?

“It’s not that big of a deal is it? I’m pregnant, not handicapped. Rudy has a tendency to… overindulge me at times.”

“That’s true, but I promised,” she raises her head to look at me, a fiery look consuming her. “I must insist that we don’t do that.”

I frown.

“...if that would be alright with you lady Zenith,” before bowing her head anew.

How can you go from overbearing to meek in a heartbeat?

“Fine… but you have to help me find something to do. Something to keep me busy, not games.”

I’ll get fat at this rate.

“Leave it to me!” She raises her head, a fierce glare in her eye.

Is it really that important to you?!

…I almost feel bad that I had started preparing my garden in secret. I didn't think she was going to say no. The ground is already tended to, and it’s simply missing some plants. Luckily for me Lilia was too busy to notice.

Thank Millis for little mercies.

Now, I just gotta convince Rudy into working in the garden with me. I wonder how I should go about it?

Ah! I got it, maybe I’ll hint during the next Paul session, after he leaves that having my garden tended to would make me quite happy. That should make him happy.

No wait!

Then he might just do all the gardening himself...

“Mhhu!”

“Zenith?”

“Nothing. Just thinking of how I’m going to tri-” I tap my chin, then freeze. “Wait a minute,” I turn to the charming redhead beside me. There's another woman Rudy attends to, if to a lesser degree. “If we team up, we can convince Rudy to do anything we want.”

“Madame?”

“He he~”

We can wrap Rudy around our finger. I’m such a bad mama~

“Z-Zenith?”

Ah! My intentions are leaking.

“Lilia~” I hugged her.

I’m-not-letting-you-go~

“Let’s go. Show me what to do so we could… ah, stay busy.” I muttered looking at her with doe-like eyes.

“...yes, Zenith.”

Maybe it’s not so bad to be spoiled every once in a while.

Then again…

“Z-Zenith?”

Doing the spoiling is better.

I rub my cheek against hers.

So soft~

“Lilia, your skin is so smooth. Are you sure you’re not a healing mage?”

“Y-yes I am sure. I merely… take care of myself thoroughly. Good diet, and exercise.”

“Wait, did you say exercise?

“Yes?”

“So you admit, being active is good for you.”

“...”

Did… did I just win one?

“You're so cute Lily!” I squeeze her arm, as we walk along, rubbing my cheek next to hers.

Victory~

///

Rudy [pov]

Well… that’s a beautiful sight.

Making my way to the kitchen I see the women of this household cleaning plates. Zenith just humming to herself, and Lilia wiping dishes as they're passed over. It’s a funny sight to see, Zeny finds pleasure in the most menial things, but she wouldn't be Zenith otherwise. She could simply rely on Lilia, but she wouldn't have it.

When she was in charge of her clinic her and Lilia had to split their duties. Lilia’s first and main job being to take care of me, and secondary being the housework, they would be split their tasks. Zenith enjoying cooking, as such wouldn’t let anyone take that from her. Even if that's why they were hired.

Now?

Now she can’t be a medic, and is going full housewife mode.

I wonder what they’re talking about?

Getting closer, but not too close so as to break their moment, I lean by the entrance wall, and eavesdrop on them. I walk behind them, slightly hypnotized by them as they stand there, bathed in the sunlight and glowing in their maternal glory I am almost entranced, if not for the fact that I've gotten used to it. 

Enlightening their figure, the sun does well to show of their figure. Lilia’s normally maroon hair, sparkling a radiant red, and Zenith’s blond locks looking especially golden. And their curves, their curves...

No, wait waitwait. Stop that! I just came to eavesdrop. I’m getting lost in… getting lost in... in...

I’m lost.

Let's listen in.

“...then he went running off looking for some persimmons,” Zenith said.

“But we don’t have any in this region,” Lilia responded.

“I know, isn’t it hilarious.”

“And master Rudeus?”

“Tangerines.”

“Well… at least we have those. Did you even have a craving?”

“I did… for entertainment. But let's keep that between us.”

“You’re incorrigible Zenith.”

“Don’t mock it ‘till you try it. You have to admit, having the ability to push around somebody, with love of course,” she adds in quickly.

“Of course,” Lilia agreed.

“-Is more then a little bit tempting. Think of it. I know you don’t enjoy being around Paul, but you enjoy being around Rudy right. Sooo… can you imagine it? Rudy running around with a flustered face? A little haggard, a little red, and a little charming. So, how about it? Wanna give it a try?”

“...”

“Come on, don’t you want to boss Rudy around a little bit. I know he's driven you crazy at times. Think of it. What’s your favorite snack?”

“...I like grapes…”

“Oh Rudy, Rudy~” she put a hand to her forehead ‘dramatically.’ “I am feeling so famished. Can you bring me some grapes? I think there are some in the village. Pleeease~ If you bring some you will be the best son,” she halts her dramatics, “well in your case master, but still!,” she composes herself and resumes her act once more, putting her hands together in mock prayer, “ahem, you’ll be the best master ever. Please~” she wipes her hands at her sides before talking in a regular state. “See? Easy, peasy.”

…what did I just walk into? If I didn’t know any better I’d say she’s…

“...I don’t think I have the gall to be as bold as you Zenith.”

“Come on. It’s just between us girls. You’re telling me you’ve never dreamed of pushing Rudy around even a little.”

Yes Lilia. Do tell. Have you ever dreamed of pushing me around?

I take back everything I’ve ever said about Zenith being an angel. She’s a demon.

Stop corrupting Lilia! That’s my job!

Let’s see what she says…

“...please…grapes,” she whispered. In a voice too low for me to hear, with her head tilted down she whispers something.

“Not like that, he’ll never fall for it. Come on be bolder. Put your soul in it! It’s not like he’s here.”

Yeah! What she said! I’m not even here!

“Please Rudy. I’m peckish.” She even made the praying poze. “Will you please buy me something?”

These two…

Walking from behind, I snuck from behind them, careful with my steps so as to avoid notice, before hugging them from behind, and wrapping them in my arms. Inserting my head between them; Lilia on my left, and Zenith on my right, I make it clear I’m here.

“Kya!/Eep!” they screamed respectively.

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” I muttered.

“...”
“...”

“What are you in the mood for?” I ended.

They quietly turned their heads to me, and then slowly turned them back looking at each other, as I waited for their answer.

What? Why so quiet?

“Sooo… I heard my name mentioned. Wasn’t there something you wanted?”

“...nothing in particular, master,” Lilia said.

“...grapes?” Zenith stated.

You shameless, you!

Give me all my worries I had! Turns out she was fine! Here I was worried about the ethics of using someone as a pawn in this game of love, without the person in question knowing about it. Battling with my conscience if I’m doing right by her, or if I'm just selling out, my heart does backflips as it solves this mystery.

Turns out my worries were nonsense!

While I was debating biting the bullet and just confessing about my monster slaying shenanigans, and Paul's little deal, she’s out here playing her own game.

I’ve been played!

All this time I've been playing checkers, turns out she was playing chess.

What is my heart to do?! My heart is more fragile than a maiden’s you know!

...

Just kidding.

Subtle she is not. She is lucky I already noticed what she was doing a while back or else I might actually have been peeved off.

…but I never considered she would rope Lilia into this as well.

She really does love her games huh.

“I didn’t realize you liked grapes mom. You wouldn’t happen to want some tangerines to go with them?” I looked up to her, my head still very much between them.

“Um… tee-hee?” She placed her knuckles on top of her head, giving it a bop.

How do you know that?

“...you get a pass.”

You’re so lucky you're adorable.

“Lilia…” Zenith makes eye contact with Lilia, and stares for a second, trying to silently communicate something.

What is she trying to-

“Rudy…” Lilia says quietly.

“Hmm, yes?”

Slowly she raises a fist to her head, and… bops it, mirroring Zeny.

“T-tee-hee…” she says in a very low voice, that if I wasn’t right there next to her I would never hear it. A blush starts spreading on her face, starting a rosy pink, into a passionate red, matching her hair. Her face is red, her eyes are slightly teary, and she’s having a hard time looking me in the eye. I think she’s even shaking a little.

“...”

That caught me off-guard. If it wasn’t for the context. I would assume this is the appearance of a maiden in love.

Maybe she can corrupt her just a little.

“Pfft-” I turned my head, and hid it in Zenith’s robes, before I could burst into laughter.

“R-R-Rudy?!”

“N-No, s-sorry. T-that just caught me off guard, ahem, yeah… um… you also get a pass. Also, that was adorable… please do so again.”

“I know, wasn’t she!” Zenith yells.

“...you’re both incorrigible…” Lilia grumbles, turning her head away.

“Yeah, but you love us anyway don’t yah,” I told her as I hugged Zenith.

“...”

Turning to face me, her face matches her hair one more time as she looks us over, before turning her head away once more.

Hey she pulled a Zenith.

Alright, it's settled. You can definitely corrupt her. But only a little.

“So Rudy, why did you come here? It’s still early in the day. Aren’t you going to play with Sylphy today?” Zenith asked.

“Oh, that…”

Funny thing about that... before I realized her shenanigans I was worried about how she was doing so I cut my Sylphy time in half for the time being, and put our training on hold.

“We just play these days, and you can only play for so long.”

“Oh? That’s too bad. I haven’t seen Sylphy here in a while.”

And invite her to this mess! I think not. If I had to combine taking care of you, along with being alert of Paul, and Sylphy being corrupted by you, I’ll die! Again!

My family drama is convoluted enough without inviting a precocious elf.

“You're unfair…”

“Ah… sorry?” Zenith apologizes, reaching down with her hand, and prepares to ruffle my hair as usual.

I dodge.

Nice try, but I know your game.

In fact… I just had the greatest idea ever; two birds one stone.

“Li-Li-Ah~” Avoiding Zenith’s grasp, I stride towards Lilia's side, and latch my self onto her, placing her between Zenith and I.

“Eeep! Ru-Rudeus?!”

“Lilia is so much nicer than Zenith. So nice and comforting, and doesn’t make me do everything on a whim. I don’t know how my heart could take it. I should sleep with Lily instead~”

There, take that!

Two can play this game. If you're going to play around with me, I can play around with you.

“...”
“...”

…I think.

For some reason or another it got awfully quiet awfully quickly.

What's with the silence?

Looking up from Lilia's folds I look behind me to see Zenith staring at me with wide open eyes. Hand frozen, she's locked into place as if reaching for me. Curious... I looked up, and noticed a similar expression on Lilia as well, hand frozen too as if reaching for my hair.

…and a blush as deep as her hair.

“...um… I was joking, you know. Why is everyone being so stiff?”

They continued staring at me.

“What?”

27