Chapter 52: A Bit Difficult
227 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The human boy's expression didn't change much when he spoke, but there was no mistaking the barely hidden spite in his tone. 

Rula didn't look pleased, with her brows furrowed and a slight frown.

If Naya detected any sort of sadness or hurt from Rula, she would instantly lash out. The silence spell she destroyed earlier made her confidence soar; she believed she could kill everyone here.

Which was a dark thought, but such fantasy scenarios were things she enjoyed doing back home. Comparing her strength to others and guessing how she'd fare was a good way for self-improvement. 

It was only dampened because now, her opponents were mortal races.

While her musings didn't show on her face, the Arcanum convoy, or at least the boy at the front, brows twitched from what was likely a belief that Naya was disregarding him.

But Naya didn't care.

The older lady behind the boy suddenly snapped her head around the room, "The silencing spell is gone." 

"How?" The man asked, his one-eyed gaze narrowed as he scanned the individuals at the table. They stopped on Sophia and became sharper. "What did you do?"

Sophia, who had yet to remove her legs from the table and still leaned back in her chair, opened her eyes and smirked, "It reeked of Arcanum filth, so I got rid of it."

Naya caught her quick glance toward her and understood Sophia wanted to play the aggrevator. She didn't care, so she'd let her if that was what she wanted.

Verala hummed a faint laughter. I like her. 

It was an odd thing to say about one of the people who aided in her death. It made Naya wonder if there really wasn't any animosity in Verala.

Lia sadly sighed. It's a damn shame to see these great organizations carry animosity toward each other. 

"Tread carefully, Paragon. Do not forget that your words hold significance." The silver-haired boy said with narrowed eyes.

Sophia mockingly scoffed, "A brat couldn't possibly comprehend the words that come out of my mouth." 

"Your gross language is only going to further sour the relationship between our groups, Paragon." The old woman chimed in, with a well-practiced calm, had Naya not caught her fist tightening behind her back. "We only wish to know why our silencing spell was disabled."

"I don't appreciate magic being cast on my Hall without my acknowledgment, Arcanum." The Hall master spoke with a deep, authoritative voice as he tapped his finger on the table.

"We simply wished to ensure what we discuss here isn't passed on beyond the few here." The older male said, but his glare didn't leave Sophia.

It was actually surprising to Naya that they were ignoring her presence. It was a different feeling, and she wasn't sure how to feel about it.

I think they want nothing more than to speak with you, but they can't say too much, or they'll ruin their ridiculous image in front of the others. Lia made no attempt to hide her disgust at the scene before them. Her normally higher-pitched, child-like voice seemed a little deeper and more profound. It was odd.

It seemed the day was destined to be a weird one.

Naya already didn't think the meeting would be a good one. It was almost fate that she got her hands on some Arcana for the meeting. Or perhaps a bad omen. She wasn't sure yet, but she didn't harbor even the slightest amount of trepidation about offending any of the people there.

That didn't mean she would be purposefully confrontational, but the Arcanum people had already shown how little respect they had, especially toward Rula.

"I had the area evacuated early this morning, and if anyone were eavesdropping, surely the people here would be more than capable of sensing it." Rilious said, then shook his head, "Please, sit; we do not wish to waste any more of Naya's time."

The boy had been silent while his presumed parents spoke for him, but the struggle to keep his mouth closed was evident based on the twitches Naya observed.

"Fine, but if your folly leads to our conversation being leaked to the more... unsavory types, then don't say we didn't try." The boy said.

Then, the trip exchanged glances and went to sit at the table. 

While they moved, they glanced at Naya once more.

Arcanum is a group solely dedicated to magic, and though you won't catch them admitting it, a lot of how they function is based on Elven Society. Verala explained. 

What? How would they know how my people... function? 

The Elves weren't always isolated; I doubt your culture has changed much. Organizations such as Arcanum and Sanctum have been around since the time of the Elves.

Yet another weird feeling to add to the day. Verala was the one to explain things to her, while Lia was seemingly trapped in her own thoughts. Naya wasn't stupid; she knew that Verala wanted to win points. But could she really blame her? Naya cursed the pity she felt for the Witch. 

"Now that the late ones have arrived, please come sit, Naya, Rula." Sophia gestured to two chairs on either side of her. They were likely meant for whatever delegate she had, but it seemed she shook them off. Which was good because Naya didn't want to deal with the other male from Sanctum she met outside the Hall. 

"I assure you, our lateness was not intentional." The silver-haired boy quickly explained, but only while he stared at Naya.

"Okay!" Rula ran up to a seat on Sophia's left. 

Naya could detect the anxiety in her voice, and she realized another benefit of the meeting would be to get Rula used to dealing with things such as that. 

"Naya." Sophia smiled at her and gestured to the seat on her right.

It may have been her imagination, but Naya felt like that chair was slightly closer to Sophia than the one on the left.

She ignored it and moved to the seat.

Sophia pulled it out for her, and she sat.

That small action received a glare from the Arcanum trio, but even the others narrowed their eyes at the action.

Everything you do, everything you say, and everything you let them do will play a big part in perception.  Verala said.

Ridiculous. That was all Naya felt about it. She would not alter her behavior to such a degree just because other people may not like who she was close with. Did she do it on purpose?

 If so, then Sophia is more shrewd than I expected. Lia chimed in. But she doesn't seem that beholden to Sanctum, so maybe she just wanted to show off to the people here. 

Just ask for an explanation afterward. Don't jump to any hasty conclusions that could sour a good relationship. Verala spoke with a trace of sadness in her melodious voice. She clearly had experienced something similar.

Still, the action did put Naya in a sour mood.

Her cold eyes only locked onto the middle of the table.

Rilious cleared his throat and stood while he exchanged a glance with each table occupant, and he stopped on Naya, "First, I'd like to thank everyone for coming on such short notice." He turned toward the Hall Master, "Thank you, Hall Master Thorn, for allowing us the imprompt use of your Hall."

The Hall Master, who Naya only just found out was called Thorn, nodded with a smile.

Rilious's face became neutral, with a commanding gaze that scanned the table, "Let's not distract ourselves with meaningless frivolities: we are here today because the Necromantic Witch has been slain by none other than Lady Naya, Lady Rula, and Paragon Sophia. I'm sure the significance of this need not be said." After he finished, Rilious gently returned to his seat.

Naya's cold gaze watched the Arcanum trio, and she noticed a response when Sophia and Rula's names came out of Rilious's mouth.

They seemed to have not just a problem with Sophia but, for some reason, one with Rula.

"It seems we forgot our manners." The silver-haired boy stood, as did the two adults with him. "Please allow us to introduce ourselves." He nodded toward the male with the eye patch.

"My name is Callum Bradford, a General of Arcanum." After that simple introduction, he returned to his seat.

Next was the older woman, "And I am Layla Bradford, a Senior Scholar of Arcanum."

Finally, the silver-haired boy placed his hand on his chest and bowed slightly, aimed at Naya, "And I am Arthur Bradford, an Arcanum Saint."

"Oh?" Rilious and the Hall Master expressed shock simultaneously.

Rilious stared at the boy with a newfound interest, "At such a young age? Impressive; Arcanum is in good hands."

"Thank you, City Lord." Arthur's voice didn't carry emotion and was quite monotonous. He didn't look at the City Lord when he spoke; only Naya held his stare. He returned to his seat. 

I think he wanted you to react to that news. Lia said.

I don't know what that means, and even if I did, I do not care about how the humans rank themselves.

An Arcanum Saint is their version of a Sanctum Paragon.  Verala explained, once again showcasing her extensive knowledge. While Sanctum sees those people as a powerful weapon, Arcanum sees theirs as future leaders. 

Naya glanced at Sophia, and she didn't seem surprised by that. Rather, she seemed wholly uninterested in anything.

"Now, I'm sure everybody here has many questions, but first, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Lady Naya and Lady Rula for their aid. The threat of the Necromantic Witch cannot be understated: she could have placed our world in mortal peril," Rilious spoke that time without standing but directed all eyes toward Naya and Rula. "Lady Naya, you prove everything we thought we knew of Elves wrong, and Rozen will eternally remember what you have done for us."

Naya felt good about the admiration; but didn't show it outwardly. She only nodded.

"I have a question." Arthur looked toward Rula, "Forgive my rudeness, but I must ask what... Lady Rula's relationship with you is Lady Naya."

"Why does that matter?" Sophia leaned forward and spoke before Naya could respond, "All you need to know is that she helped kill a Witch."

"Be that as it may-"

"Choose your next words carefully, Arthur Bradford: Rula is a close friend of mine, and I won't stand for disrespect." Sophia glared at the boy, but he didn't flinch.

"Do not try to threaten me, Paragon: you will find the consequences greater than you can bear."

"A few fireballs from Elven fanboys? We both know how that played out last time." Sophia smirked and gestured toward Callum's eye, which got a scowl from him.

"And next time, you won't be so lucky as to be allowed to flee like a city rat." Callum spits with no small amount of spite.

Sophia placed both hands on the table, "Let's go right-"

"Enough!" It was Marie who spoke as she stood and slammed her hand into the table. "We are here today to discuss something far above your ridiculous feuds."

Verala laughed. Sophia is quite good at aggravating people; that was a fantastic show! 

What did she mean by Elven fanboy?

Who knows. Maybe Arthur, in particular, is a huge Elf worshipper. Lia said.

Naya was a little happy Sophia took it upon herself to defend Rula because she would not have been so kind. But it was odd that they cared so much to ask that question despite seeing how close Rula was to her. It couldn't have been that she was a Halfling. She didn't believe they would ruin their chances with her over such a small matter.

You'd be surprised by the extent Halfling hatred goes with some people; there is a complicated history there. Verala said.

Indeed, but luckily, it has mostly died out. Lia added.

"I apologize." Arthur bowed toward Marie, "You are correct, Lady Marie, and I didn't mean anything by it."

"I did help fight the Witch." Rula's small voice filled the room during the brief silence after Arthur spoke. When all eyes landed on her, she looked like she wanted to bury herself.

"We don't doubt that." Layla said, "We simply wish to know what your relationship is to Lady Naya."

"I'm..." Rula paused and glanced at Naya.

"She is my friend and companion." 

Rula smiled and nodded. "Yes!" 

The Arcanum trio looked like they expected that, but the answer looked like it made things difficult for them.

"What is your surname?" Callum asked.

Rula, seemingly filled with a sudden burst of confidence, stared directly into Laya's eyes, "My name is Rula Deepstone, rich adventurer!" 

Arthur's emotionless face cracked and turned into a frown, "I was right." 

Callum and Layla mimicked Arthur shortly after as if it was the worst possible answer Rula could have given.

Deepstone?! Lia shouted in shock.

The name did seem familiar to Naya, but she couldn't recall exactly how.

Thrain Deepstone, likely the most powerful Dwarf alive and the greatest blacksmith in the land... probably even the world.  Verala explained. But that doesn't explain Lia's shock, does it?

Naya, you met that Dwarf already! Remember, it was only a bit over a week ago! Right outside Carla's tower, the Adventuring group with a few Humans and a Dwarf outside that shack!

Naya's ears perked up. She did remember, but that was crazy. That... that was Rula's father? 

The coincidence was too ridiculous, almost impossible to believe was natural.

Naya remembered the Dwarf: he made an impact because he was the first one outside Aleria to show any particular signs of caring for her race. He had a massive silver hammer larger than he was strapped to his back. Now that she looked, Naya did see some resemblance. The Dwarf's beard was the same shade of red as Rula's hair. She couldn't recall his face very well.

It wasn't just Naya that was surprised: everyone at the table collectively released signs of shock. 

Rula scanned the room: she caught Naya and Sophia's surprise, too. Her head tilted, "What's wrong?"

So it turns out Thrain is a pretty big deal. I wonder why, then, was his family so poor.

I was going to just continue writing until the meetings ended, but when I saw the word counter go over 2000, I figured it'd probably be best to end it there. I'm not sure if people are okay with chapters going on for 4,000+ words. Thoughts? 

15