Chapter 53: The Witch Threat
228 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

New cover soon because I realized the old one makes it seem like Naya is some kind of forest Elf, and her skin is too dark for what I described as pale. Also, I'm not a fan of the darker theme.

Naya was still stuck on that coincidence. That she met Rula's father, the man Rula likely hadn't seen in years, right outside the tower where Rula was painting for a Witch.

The attention directed at Rula affected her as she started nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. Her head had tilted slightly when she asked what was wrong, but the meaning behind everyone's stares should have been clear.

"Uh..." Rula took a deep breath, "Do... do you guys know my Dad?" 

"Where is he?" Arthur asked, his emotionless facade broken into a glare.

Rula looked down toward her legs, "I-"

"She will not answer that." Naya interrupted, broken from her stupor, "Keep this about what you asked me here for, or we will leave."

Arthur looked conflicted, and so did Layla and Callum beside him. It surprised Naya to see that since it meant whatever worth Rula's father had was enough for them to struggle with listening to her demand.

The rest of the table quickly moved on from their shock, but they looked at Rula with a newfound respect. But worst of all, Naya detected their interest.

"Nobody will approach her for her father," Naya's words were not directed at anyone in particular, and she didn't make eye contact with anyone around the table. She simply spoke in the same cold, level tone, giving an order. And she expected it to be followed.

Rula flashed her a grateful smile, but it seemed she still didn't fully understand the significance.

Good. Verala spoke like a proud mother. You have all the power here; this is not an equal meeting.

But I don't think I need to explain how useful it would be if everyone here was on our side. Lia countered.

Ha! Verala laughed. These organizations couldn't care less about your mission. Even if they officially send you information, they would only do it expecting something in return. 

Which would still be faster than doing it alone!

I will not aggravate them unnecessarily as long as they know their places. Stop arguing in my head.

She wouldn't go out of her way to make them her enemies, but she wouldn't shy away if they overstepped. Naya realized she spoke a little arrogantly, but she just wanted to ensure nobody tried to use Rula as they wanted to use her.

Arthur lightly sighed and looked toward Naya, "Lady Naya, I hope you will at least allow us to ask her a few questions before we leave."

"No." Naya didn't look at him. She would not compromise on that, even if it meant souring her relations with the group.

Naya recalled the first words the boy said to her: Elf

Arthur didn't show her respect. She knew she detected some spite in his tone, though he was able to put on a professional facade quickly. He then changed his address to be more respectful, but the introduction cemented his image in her mind.

"Please, Lady Naya, just a few questions; it's related to-"

"I don't like repeating myself." Naya finally turned his way with a slight squint of her eyes. She dared him to keep asking.

Sophia snickered but didn't say anything, which surprised Naya since she figured she would take any chance to antagonize Arcanum.

Callum placed his hand on Arthur's shoulder and shook his head, "You're making this incredibly difficult for us, Lady Naya." he said calmly.

Marie clapped her hands again before Naya could say anything. Once all eyes were on her, she cleared her throat, "Please, let's keep this meeting on track."

"My Wife is right." Rilious looked toward Callum, "The Dragon's Plaza is one of the most active during the day; let us not keep the meeting longer than it should be."

After a few seconds, Arthur shook his head, "Fine." But his expression told Naya he would not give up so easily.

She would have to show him what it meant to catch her ire if he tried anything after the meeting.

Gregory stood, which drew attention to him. He had a big smile plastered on his face, "There are only a few things on the agenda for today, and I would like to highlight each for further discussion." He looked to Rilious for approval and received a nod. 

Naya was only happy that it was finally moving forward. 

She would not make it a habit to attend meetings.

"The first topic is the Witches themselves." Gregory paused to ensure all eyes were on him, "As you all know, they are appearing again in a much higher frequency; one even had the audacity to settle within these very walls."

Verala snorted. I would have been fine, normally...

Evelyn stood, "We have received reports of two near the capital." She couldn't hide her young tone, but it was level and confident, a sign of her royal upbringing.

"And you didn't report it to Sanctum?" Sophia asked accusingly with a raised brow.

"We did," Alex responded simply without opening his eyes.

"And they probably ignored it, as they always do; no financial benefit. That noble facade has long since crumbled." Layla said.

"At least we do more meaningful things than trying to catch up to a race that wouldn't even spit in their direction." Sophia didn't miss a beat and fired back immediately after Layla finished. She wore a smirk as if to challenge them to say more.

"Paragon, Senior Scholar." The Hall Master said, "You are bickering like children: remember your station and those you are in the presence of." 

"Fine, fine, forgive my poor manners, Lady Naya." Sophia turned toward Naya and exaggeratedly bowed like a pompous noble. The way she said Lady made Naya feel odd, but it was also true that the arguing was delaying the end of the meeting.

Layla didn't say anything.

Evelyn cleared her throat, the sound of which reminded Naya that the girl was merely a child. 

While it was impressive for her to be at a meeting of that scale, Elven children did such things all the time, so she wasn't too surprised. 

Still, of any friendship Rula could have, she would like that one to work out so Rula can gain more confidence in herself.  

As for the Witches near the capital, Evelyn told Naya already, so the information didn't surprise her. Going there was part of her plan, but she also wanted to train Rula a bit so what happened the night prior wouldn't happen again. 

Evelyn continued, "We don't know the exact details on either of them, but if there are 2 in the same place-"

Sophia removed her legs from the table and leaned forward, "That normally wouldn't be possible; they are gathering there."

Evelyn nodded, "Our thoughts exactly, Paragon. I'm sure you can explain for those here what that means."

"Please, do." Thorn added, "I need to know whether this constitutes a threat worthy of informing the Guild Master." 

That got a small reaction from some at the table, specifically from Callum and Rilious. Whoever the master was, they clearly meant far more than their station implied.

Evelyn returned to her seat, which Sophia took as a sign for her turn to stand. When it came to Witches, it seemed her earlier snark vanished.

"Witches are supposed to be rare; even active hunters won't see one for a year, sometimes longer. I have only killed a few within the last two years."

This sort of discussion seems unfit for such a small venue with only these people. 

It is. Lia said. But every word, probably verbatim, will be given to the rest of their factions. In other words, your presence will soon be known to pretty much every powerful and influential person on this continent.

That was a consequence Naya hadn't considered. She didn't care, but it probably would make her life a little more annoying if they tried to cozy up to her.

Sophia continued. "Two Witches should never work together: it is against the very nature of their Devils. That is why they haven't constituted a significant threat in the last few centuries."

"When one pops up, simply send someone stronger to kill it," Thorn said.

"Exactly." Sophia smiled. "And that is the neverending cycle."

"Because Devils cannot be killed," Evelyn said softly, with a bitter tone.

Sophia nodded but didn't say anything else about it.

Naya felt she should save her reveal for a better time and place. Maybe she was becoming a bit shrewd as well. 

She did not like that.

"Arcanum has been researching this for a few years now," Callum said. 

"Devil killing?" Sophia seemed shocked by that, "That's the first I've heard-"

"And that is all you will hear," Arthur said. "We will find a way to permanently kill Devils, and only then, if we feel you deserve it, we will let you know."

Sophia glared at the boy, "You would keep such a thing secret from the world?" Sophia's tone seemed genuinely upset by that. 

"We have just as much fighting strength as your group; we do not need your aid," Callum said.

"You-" 

Marie cleared her throat, and Sophia returned to her seat with a sigh.

Seems to be more than just some petty drama between their groups. Verala said.

Indeed.

Even a child would be able to tell that it seemed like Sanctum and Arcanum detested each other, especially if what Naya assumed were their higher-ups acted like that to each other.

"Anyway!" Sophia kicked her legs up again, which got her a glare from Callum and Layla, "We learned from the Necromantic Witch there's a faction of Witches, though it's a rocky group, and we found out a bit ago that there is a kingdom working with them." 

She dropped that information so easily, but it garnered collective awe from every person at the table. 

"What?!" Evelyn slammed her hands against the table and stood.

"And you didn't inform anyone of this?" Arthur asked and mimicked the same accusatory tone Sophia had earlier.

Sophia just shrugged.

"What are you saying, Paragon?" Rilious had a frown and furrowed brows.

"That..." Thorn shook his head, "Who would be so foolish as to invite their own doom?" 

Gregory was an outlier because Naya swore he seemed excited.

He's probably of the same mind you once were: a group of Witches, to him, might just mean easier access to a group of them to eliminate at once.

You really thought that? Verala spoke with barely contained laughter.

Shut up.

She was embarrassed that she thought it would be that easy. However, she also didn't think she was wrong in her thoughts. Sure, it would be difficult, but she didn't believe they would be strong enough to handle her. 

"And you trust a Witch would betray her own group?" Layla asked doubtfully.

How rude. Someone should teach that bag some manners.

"She is not wrong," Naya said.

Eyes then went to Naya, expecting her to say more.

"The Witches are working together for a greater purpose, a purpose not even their Devils informed them of." 

"A greater purpose..." Evelyn muttered.

"Thanks, Lady Naya!" Sophia smiled and stealthily reached behind Naya's chair and patted her back.

Naya nearly snapped backward. Annoying human! I might have to break her hand lest she believe she can keep getting away with that!

Lia chortled. 

Sophia had a natural smile, "Well, you guys know what that means. A purpose, not from mortal minds, but from the Devils."

"If this information is accurate, then we must report back to our leaders at once," Thorn said. 

"Indeed." Callum nodded, "What else do you wish to discuss, Priest?" 

"W-well, the next subject isn't comparable to the threat of a world-ending calamity." Gregory cleared his throat, then continued. "I would like to discuss the possibility of forming an alliance between-"

"Not happening." Sophia interrupted. 

"I concur," Callum said. 

Rilious slammed his fist into the table and scowled. "You would place your petty political maneuvering above the threats we face?" 

Arthur nodded, "We will not work with the usurpers." 

"That's one I haven't heard in a while!" Sophia chuckled.

Thorn raised his hands placatingly toward Rilious, "It's not as simple as that, Lord Rilious. None here have the authority to create an alliance; that would require a meeting on a much grander scale than this." 

"But still, you could at least-" 

Evelyn cleared her throat to interrupt him. "I'm sorry, Priest Gregory, but I wouldn't dare entertain those thoughts without my Father present."

Gregory deflated. It looked like the shutdown was something he took personally as if his life goal was taken from him.

Verala laughed, and even Lia chuckled lightly. 

The Priest offered it so he could squeeze his way inside it. Lia explained to the curious Naya.

"Anything else?" Callum asked, directed at the whole table.

"Ah..." Gregory noticeably had a depressed tone, "T-there is one last thing, Lady Naya; I would like to discuss the Elven presence-"

Naya's suddenly perked upward, Sophia glanced at the ceiling, and Arthur launched from his chair. Callum and Layla followed, and they were the first to step back as they watched the ceiling.

"Someone is coming, Lord." The two guards spoke simultaneously, a jarring thing to hear due to their synch. They both stood and unsheathed their blades as they glared at the ceiling. 

Rilious pulled Marie closer.

The two priests, who had their faces covered by a mask, pulled Gregory behind them and stood without any signs of outwardly prepping for battle.

Naya and Sophia stood at once and moved behind Rula.

Rula stood, "W-what's wrong?" 

"Unsure yet," Sophia spoke, but her eyes never left the ceiling.

"Stay quiet," Naya said.

She could hear what sounded like a slight whistle, albeit slightly distorted. It was getting closer and louder from above. 

"Take Rula out of here," Naya said. 

"What? No!" Rula shouted immediately. 

Sophia looked into Naya's eyes, "What is it?"

"I don't know." 

Naya could hear whatever was rapidly approaching, and the room was too small for her to have to worry for Rula's safety.

"I can't take someone unwilling, so..." 

"I'm staying!" Rula shouted defiantly.

"Fine."

Naya didn't bother arguing, but it was something she would absolutely have to discuss with Rula if she wanted to stick around. 

Either she got strong enough for Naya to fight without concern for her safety, or she would have to go before any substantial battles.

Of course, someone would want to take advantage of a meeting like this; I just highly doubt they really know who's here.  Lia said.

That was true: the meeting was too impromptu and only happened because the relevant people just so happened to be in the area. 

To Naya, it meant whoever was coming here was either targeting Rilious or her.

Everyone moved away from the table slowly, which included Naya, Sophia, and Rula. 

"I guess this was to be expected, but I wonder which of you they're after?" Sophia didn't sound concerned in the slightest.

Of course, the people in this room could be said to be among the most powerful in the world. 

Whoever thought they could take advantage was bound to be in a world of surprise.

But Naya did feel some gratitude since they stopped whatever stupid question Gregory tried to ask.

Oooh~ I can't wait! Verala sounded far too excited. 

The whistling intensified for a brief moment. Enough to make Naya almost wish to cover her ears as it seemed to intentionally boost its volume.

Then the floor caved in, not the ceiling which caught everyone there off guard. A cacophony of splintering wood and surprised yells accompanied the sudden, dramatic plunge through the ground into a swirling white vortex.

"I can't activate my portal!"

"Hold on to me, Rula!" Naya shouted.

A blinding white light forced Naya to snap her head away, intensified since she was enhanced by the Arcana she absorbed earlier.

Everything went silent.

I figured it'd be a cool idea to make the next arc start abruptly!

15