Chapter Ten: Shikai
468 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aisuri POV

Reishi was running wild—my reishi. I didn't know I had such power within me. I could feel a pulse move up my arm and into my core, filling me with strength. I can hear my fellow squadmates gasp and cry out in surprise, but I haven't yet been able to see. Reishi is surging visibly, shrouding my vision, and it's only after I swing my blade that I realize what has them so riled up. I see that my Zanpakuto has transformed from its usual slender self to a jagged blade of dark metal, with its edges held in place, not by more metal like one would expect of a sword, but pulsating, flesh. Where the blade meets the handle, a bright, fiery orange bulb beats like a heart. The sword looks fresh out of a nightmare, but the power it gives me is palpable. I can feel my muscles bulging, I can feel its power surging in my veins.

I look over to my opponent, who seems to be less eager to go on than before. Before I can call out, he surrenders.

I blink.

And before the next person goes up, they surrender as well.

Kaatei is livid, for some reason, screaming out and calling them craven cowards. But they all surrender! I'm kind of on his side! I just unlocked my Shikai, and now I can't test it?! This sucks!!

But the reason becomes apparent, None of them have their Shikai. Only the captain and vice-captain do. Which means I'm a shoo-in for the third seat.

"Fuck, I'm getting blue balled here. This is so anti-climactic."

I nod, mentally agreeing with Kaatei. Well, might as well give it a good few practice swings. I marvel at how easy it is to swing this behemoth greatsword but grimace when I see a wave of red reishi flowing along the ground at my blade, leaving scars along the ground. My physical power has increased, and it seems that Kaatei's release state causes Reishi to extend the reach of our attacks, ensuring damage done on what would be a near miss. I dismiss the release state and sheathe my blade, bowing to the captain.

 

General POV

Byakuya Kuchiki had seen many release states in his life, but none looked quite like the release of Kaatei. The call phrase, too, was concerning, but Byakuya figured that if it turned out to be a problem, he could snuff it out without issue. The girl was talented, and judging by her ease of gaining her Shikai, knew herself well. No one had ever gained a shikai within mere weeks of getting their Zanpakuto. Such growth was monstrous. Perhaps he should let the head captain know... No, It wouldn't do well to bother him with something so inconsequential. Rather, he seemed rather hopeful to have a new competent subordinate. Renji will have to teach her the duties of her new office. Poor girl. Renji is dutiful, but some of the work the man does is that of his subordinates. Now that all the officer's seats are filled, the girl may have bitten off more than she could chew.

Back with Kane, the man was stomping the ground and cursing, lamenting the loss of more blood points. He had spent what meager savings he had from the previous fights to unlock his Shikai form in the hopes it would make gathering more blood points easier in this fight. Not to mention it FELT GREAT. But, alas, it was not to be. No one wanted to fight them after she had gained her Shikai because they simply couldn't compete! What a letdown.  Kane stared at the three measly blood points he had left, and then at the completed missions he had. The quest to land in an officer seat was still calculating, but technically, everyone surrendering counted as a victory so the quest to beat ten soul reapers was done, so that would be a massive jump in power, at least comparatively to where they were now.

Not that Aisuri would have the time to inspect her gains, as when she was delivered to her office, she had paperwork stacked three feet high!

Kane stared at it blankly before he shouted.

"FUCK!"

21