17. How’d You Know I Flip Things For A Living?
1.1k 5 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Students were required to enter their dorms two weeks before the start of the semester, though classes did not start yet for the renowned Academy of Durova, the alleged Country of the Blue Sky. 

("Why is our country called the Country of the Blue Sky?" Ruth once wondered, craning her neck to make eye contact with Rebecca.

Roly answered from the side instead. "Because!" she shouted, spreading her arms wide in the air, "Durova never rains!"

"In Durova, it never rains," Becca corrected, smoothing out Ruth's rumpled hair. "Now let's go back before Rosa yells at us again.")

Durova's Academy was well-known throughout multiple nations, not only their own. Many diplomats and ambassadors that Durova sent out to other countries were graduates of this Academy, and to have attended the institution meant a great deal of prestige upon the family. Not only because it was ridiculously expensive, but also because of its rigorous education system.

The school was made up of three divisions: the lower, the middle, and the higher divisions. Noble children could begin attending the Academy at age seven, and they would graduate at age eighteen. But since the cost of the Academy increased with each higher division, most noble families only sent their children to the lower division or the middle division, if possible. Scholarships were available, but one had to be exceptionally exceptional to receive one. That hadn't happened for three decades.

As this was the case, very rare was the occasion of a student transferring into the Academy at a division higher than elementary.

"Okay, that's all good to know, but you're not answering my question," said a voice.

Seven subjects were offered at the Academy. Four were mandatory, and three were optional. Students took on schedules of six classes each semester, choosing two of the three optional subjects. The mandatory subjects were mathematics, language arts, history, and science. The three optional subjects were magical arts, fine arts, and the least popular class-- noble etiquette and manners. 

Honors classes were also possible for outstanding students, who made up perhaps the top 10% of the school. The higher division was not as competitive for the honors classes as the preceding divisions, for there were just less students in general, which meant more space for honors courses.

"Still not answering my question," the voice said. "Even now."

The most popular class in the school was, of course, magical arts: since only those with noble blood had enough magical substance running in their veins to practice magic, and since it was practically impossible to learn how to use magic without lessons at the Academy, most students clamored to save a spot for these optional classes. Meanwhile, the noble etiquette and manners class was usually empty.

Aside from academics, the Academy offered a variety of sports and leisurely activities for interested students. Since students were required to board at the school, the institution provided a wide repertoire of opportunities for their population while still remaining in the school properties. Students enjoyed water sports, tennis, tea, and many other recreational as well as academic clubs that were available.

The Academy was known for having the famous chef, Monsieur Dumont, as head of their cafeteria, as befitting the ludicrous nature of the centuries-long institution. Tea shops and cafes littered the streets right outside the Academy walls as well, providing the students with--

"Okay," interrupted Rosa. She had crossed her arms across her chest and was now staring at the speaker with the most deadpan eyes she could possibly make. "I came here to ask you a question, sir, not to listen to advertisements about the Academy that I'm in right now."

Quiet now, miss. This isn't for you. It's for--

She threw up her hands. "For whom? For the walls? For imaginary people across a fourth wall that may or may not be hearing you through their own imaginative voices they make in their head as they somehow read your meanings through numerical values culminating into projections on devices? As if that could be possible!"

Ahem. You never know--

Rosa slammed a fist onto the table, irritation flashing across her face. The wood cracked. "I'm going to ask you one last time," she said, dangerously close to the speaker's face. The speaker gulped. "Where in this *BEEEEEP* world is the *BEEEEP* *BEEP *BEEEEEP* bathroom?" [Note: The Heroine Buff automatically censors swear words to ensure the purity of the Heroine in the minds of surrounding people. One supreme example can be found here.]

T-the, uh, the bathroom is located in easily approachable positions within the premises for the comfortable use of students. The closest--

"Quickly!"

Eep! Theclosestbathroomwillberightacrossthehallwaynexttotheorangedoor.

"Thank you!" She stomped out of the room, which did not exist in the first place, which had not even had a space in this reality at all, that she had stumbled across in her voyage to the bathroom, it appeared.

"You do the explanations!" shouted a teary voice.

...narrator? What is happening? It appears that the previous narrator (sponsored by the Academy of Durovia, prestigious academic institution for the good of the country) has become an actual being after he was called out on by the Heroine! 

"I'm out of here!" he sobbed, though he had no face, and ran out the doorless room, though he had no body, into another plane of existence.

...

Well, then. How unexpected. But the show must go on.

Rosa was now walking out of the bathroom with a satisfied look on her face. Two students were watching her, from the side, two noble girls who dreamed of having curled hair and slits for eyes. "There she goes," they said to each other, venom dripping from their narrowed glares. "The girl who spurned Natalie."

For yes, the blonde-haired girl from the previous chapter was Natalie, their beloved mistress, though the true villainess was yet to come.

"Come on Lucie, let's follow her," hissed one of the girls.

The girl named Lucie nodded, her bleached and curled hair bouncing around her disgusted face. "We can't afford to lose her now, Kayla," she replied nastily, and the two sneaked away in the direction that Rosa had gone.

"There," pointed the first girl, Kayla, who also had bleached and curled hair.

Rosa Chesterfield had stopped in front of a giant oak tree, hand on her chin and seemingly contemplating something. "Right!" she suddenly exclaimed. "The letter event." She nodded to herself in satisfaction and moved on.

The two girls exchanged glances. The letter event? The oak tree? 

Once Rosa had skipped ahead enough for the two girls to determine it safe, they rushed to the oak tree and examined it. Nothing seemed out of order. What had she meant?

"Quick, she's getting away!" one cried, and the two left the oak tree as quickly as they had approached it. 

Rosa strolled along to the garden area. "So this is the garden area," she said aloud, spreading her hands wide and taking a deep breath. "Haha, roses." She snickered. "Like me."

With a cackle, she left, skipping through the grass, just as Kayla and Lucie stumbled into the clearing.

"Did she just... cackle?" Kayla asked, huffing from the physical exertion. That Rosa-- that commoner-- she walked fast.

Lucie was too out of breath to answer. She waved a hand generically towards the disappearing figure, however, to signal that they had to get going. With a groan, so they did.

They rounded the corner and skidded to a stop, bumping into each other and scrambling to get back behind some bushes, for Rosa stood right there, hiding behind a tree. She seemed to be spying on someone, too.

"What's she doing?" Lucie frowned. She followed the direction Rosa was looking towards and saw some upperclassmen. "Is she spying on someone?"

"How horrendous," Kayla said, taking deep breaths to calm herself down. "Of course she would be so base enough to spy on people."

Alas, it did not occur to them that spying was exactly what they had been doing for the last thirty minutes.

Anyhow, after a few minutes (perfect for the two to collect their breaths), Rosa finally turned back, casting a last glance towards the group in what looked like determination. She raised a fist to the air and shook it, as if in anger, and Kayla and Lucie exchanged bewildered looks.

Just what in the world was she?

"She's gone!" Kayla yelped, and then they were off running again.

Rosa was now looking up to the second floor of a school building. She began murmuring something under her breath.

"What's she saying?" Kayla whispered hotly.

"I don't know. Go closer!" Lucie hissed, then shoved Kayla forwards.

After shooting Lucie a dirty look, Kayla crept forward, entirely noticeable and obvious thanks to the special edition pink uniform she wore. When she was, oh, a good fifty centimeters from her target, she stooped and pretended to be interested in the grass in that area. Her mind and her ears, however, were focused on something much more important-- eavesdropping on a private conversation. 

Rosa to Rosa.

"... wish I had a ruler," the girl was saying. "I'll come measure the window later. Looks to be around three and a half windows high. The trajectory of a jump would have been more of a curve, rather than a straight line. Elliptical."

Kayla frowned in confusion and shuffled a little closer. E-lip-tickle? What was she talking about?

"Now, what was the formula for ellipses again?" she murmured, shifting her weight to her other foot. "(x-h)² over a² plus (y-k)² over b² equals 1, was it?"

What was that? Alien language?

"Though maybe the formula for trajectories would be much better for this kind of calculation. But I don't remember my physics... I know I'd need velocity for that, and I'm way too lazy to be sitting here contemplating possible velocities. Though maybe later when I get home, I can ask Filian to jump for me from her second floor window with a ribbon and--"

This was the moment that Kayla crawled away, deliberately ignoring the furious glances of Lucie in the bushes near her. She stood up after a while and walked straight on. 

And no matter what question Lucie asked about the little moment she'd had with the building and Rosa and her muttered sayings, all Kayla would say was one simple sentence. She was determined to stick to this pronouncement for the rest of her Academy years and keep her nose out of whatever Rosa Chesterfield happened to do in her vicinity.

Because nope, no way she was going to get involved with someone like Rosa Chesterfield.

"So what did she say?" Lucie cried out, for the hundredth time.

Kayla shook her head. In an even voice, she repeated, for the hundredth time, the same assertion. "Mark my words, Lucie," she said. "Rosa Chesterfield is going to flip tables."


A/N: Side note - The only thing Rosa Chesterfield doesn't flip are middle fingers because she has the Heroine Buff censor on.

44