Book 1 – Chapter 10
781 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hang on, mom is calling me back.” Isabella says, but I know it’s James.

Jasper is comforting Alice, who is getting vision after vision, no doubt due to the rapidly changing decisions by the tracker.

As they’re lost in their own little world, I step out, knowing Isabella has already left.

Rapidly making my way towards the studio, I linger on the outskirts where I know my scent won’t be detected.

Around 20 minutes later Isabella’s taxi arrives, and she runs into the studio, with me trailing behind her, her powerful scent masking my weak one.

I did debate whether killing James before she arrived would be better, but I know the girl needs to be bit. Not only to reaffirm her choice to become a vampire, but also for Edward’s growth.

“Little Mary Alice, the one who got away.” I hear James taunting, making me realise I never told Alice about her origins.

Stepping out of the shadows, James, who’s holding Isabella by the neck, whips his head towards me.

“The other human.” He smiles all teeth, and sadistic looking, making me snort, which puzzles him.

“You actually still believe I’m human?” I take a step closer. “Ah ah ah, not a step further.” He uses his other hand to bring Isabella’s hand to his mouth. I cast a glance at her leg, seeing it’s not broken. Seems I arrived before that, managing to spare her some pain.

His focus turns back to the girl. “At least you will have a witness in your final moments. I can’t wait for the boy to realise you’re dead.”

“No, please don’t hurt him!” She chokes out, and I’m angsty to intervene, but I can’t until she’s bit.

Taking another step closer, the tracker’s head whips back to me, his eyes glinting maliciously as he brings Isabella’s arm to his mouth, biting hard. Eyelids flutter like he’s tasting the most delicious thing in the world, which he might.

Taking the momentary distraction, I blur forwards to grab ahold of the girl with one hand, and throw the vampire away with the other.

He rights himself in the air, landing in a crouch and hissing. I cast a glance at the human, making sure she’s fine-ish, despite the painful cries.

I don’t say another word. Simply blurring towards the tracker, as he prepares to meet me like he would another vampire. My black wings unfurl, speeding me up as Lightbringer ignites in my hand. James momentarily distracted, I speed up even more, all happening in less than half a second.

With minimal movements, I slash at the distracted vampire, cutting off his head as it, and the rest of his body ignites.

Dismissing my sword as my wings fold on themselves, I cast one remaining glance at the ashes, before moving to Isabella’s side. 

Looking her over, she’s unharmed except for the bite and the venom, but I can already hear the Cullens arriving.

Edward ignores me as he blurs to the human’s side. Carlisle takes a look at the ashes, before nodding at me and moving towards his son and daughter-in-law.

Cold comforting arms wrap around me, and I relax into Rosalie, inhaling her scent. “You did good.” She mumbles into my hair as she kisses the top of my head.

“The pain! Make it stop!” Isabella’s screams snaps me out of my idle thoughts.

“She’s turning. Edward, you have to make a choice.”

“No! I don’t want this life for her.

“Then you know what you have to do.”

I step out of Rosalie’s arm, entwining my fingers with hers as I tug her towards the exit. “Come, you don’t need to stay here.” I know Isabella smells like a well grilled steak, mouthwatering. My tiger doesn’t need to stay here for that.

✧ ⋄ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋄ ✧ ⋄ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋄ ✧

 

As there are no broken limbs, we’re heading directly back to Forks instead of the hospital. I know there are questions regarding me now. While most of the vamps were too busy to notice upon arrival, I am certain that all of them now know that I defeated James and turned him into a pile of ashes.

I don’t particularly care about them knowing what I am, I just have to shut down Edward if he goes off on one of his ‘soul’ rants.

“You okay?” Rosalie asks as she nuzzles my neck. We’re seated at the back of the private plane, away from the rest, not that it matters, they can still hear everything.

“Hmm?” Is my response, as I’m not sure what she’s referring to.

“Regarding James? He was a monster, but you still had to take a life.” Oh, that’s what she meant. Honestly I’d rather not let the rest know of my views and morals, but it might as well come out now.

“I’m fine, I don’t really have human morals. I wouldn’t be particularly pleased about taking innocent lives, but only due to the lost potential. I don’t really feel remorse or regret the same way humans, or anyone who has been human, does.”

Rosalie tilts her head to look into my eyes, I don’t break contact, wanting her to find whatever it is she’s searching for. Eventually she nods, turning her head back to rest on my shoulder.

A growl reaches my ears, and I look over to see Edward glaring at me, then Rosalie. I glare back, I don’t mind him being mad at me, but I can feel my protective instincts flaring when the glare is directed at Rosalie.

He looks away, making satisfaction well up within me, and I lay my head on top of Rosalie’s, closing my eyes.

54