Chapter 63 ‘Gilded Will’
496 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<White>

White watched as the children left with the maid.

It felt like a huge mistake.

'This is necessary'

White held a clutched fist.

Reassurances must be held... even if they bare false witness.

"Now then, shall we take our seats?"(L)

In the quiet that had grown, Instructor Lucy spoke up.

Her voice seemed to upset a few.

"Of course, standing is rather tiresome"(W)

White moved and pulled the closest chair out.

"Thank you"(L)

"Certainly"(W)

White pulled out another chair, this time for herself.

Having taken a seat, she looked around. 

No one seemed even the slightest bit inclined to follow.

A hero's grace may only so free one of direct opposition. The faces worn by the small stood crowd was a testament to this sentiment.

'Their time will come... I just need to be patient' 

White unconsciously started stroking her bracelets.

She just had a wait.

White's initial plan had evolved. The simple act of gathering enough information to stroke a revolution did not satisfy her anymore. A small fire of ambition had begun to burn from within. It was born from the desire to be a hero. A true hero.

If one was to ask White what she saw as a true hero, she would simply point towards her commander. The fearless, fair man had been a beacon. A shining light that brought hope to many of the populace. His death marked the start of a peaceful era. It was a mark of a true hero. The ability to leave a long and truly impressive victory.

White's vain attempt to imitate a true hero had been lacking. It had been lacking this all-important victory. This all-important goal. What White needed to do was not merely carry on her Commander's legacy. She needed to build it up, she needed to develop it.

Her Commander's sacrifice had brought about the end of the war. It was an admirable feat but left undefeated monsters. 

The Yalery.

White planned to finish what her Commander left off.

It was time for the era of the Yalery to end.

A loud noise rang out.

A queen was walking in.

 

"Take your seats"(G.Q)

White watched in disgust as the gathered crowd tripped over themselves in order to obey. A short silence loomed over after as the queen's eyes scanned the seated assembly. They stopped on each seated person, giving them a second glance. The eyes slowly travelled person by person until finally they landed on White.

It was then something odd happened.

For the briefest of moments White's eyes saw something unimaginable.

The Golden Queen gave a light smile in her direction. 

It happened so quick that White thought it a figment of her imagination until she saw the looks others gave.

'A new breed of jealousy already?'

Attention from the queen was concerning, but the jealousy it invoked was enjoying.

'This really might get in the way of things'

After all, White's plan to end the reign of the Yalery required some discreetness.  A discreetness that had been somewhat lost when Marcey declined to work.

The giant figure of the Golden Queen walked to the head of the table. The chair, as if it had a will of its own, pulled out for her to sit.

Warm nervous smiles had found their way to faces. Most people gathered never had the need to bow to a greater power. It was sadly telling.

"It is such a great joy for all of you to join us on this important day"(G.Q)

The voice of the queen still carried its authoritative tone, yet it seemed to be missing something. A vigour of sorts.

"Today marks the day when I first conceived the idea of my daughter"(G.Q)

'Conceived the idea?'

The queen took a short pause.

"It was a joyous moment. A moment that deserves to be celebrated"(G.Q)

The queen lifted her hand which now contained a goblet.

"Let us eat, drink and enjoy this day"(G.Q)

White didn't blink. She still did not catch it.

She stared at the now full table.

Decorated in fine silver cutlery. It was accompanied by a matching set of golden plates and goblets. The goblets were full of a red liquid that almost seemed to glow. The plates, while empty, were large and for good reason too. The large trays of exotic looking food needed a home.

"It is my sincere hope to forge a greater relationship with your kind. Do help yourselves"(G.Q)

The queen lifted her now presumably filled goblet and took a drink.

White looked around. No one, not even the greedy eager or her headstrong mentor looked inclined to try the delicious food. 

She raised her hand and grabbed the cutlery. Slowly cutting out some of the delicious food in front of her, she felt all eyes drawn onto her.

White relaxed back in her seat and after giving thanks raised her own goblet.

"To a greater relationship"(W)

Taking a sip, she felt the cool liquid flow down into her body. 

It was a bold move. A move that bordered idiocy. 

But... a long and truly impressive victory required such boldness. Such idiocy.

White planned to end the era of the Yalery and to do that she needed power. Power that could end or at the very least defeat a Yalery. It may come from a strange source, but White heard rumours. Rumours detailing the defeat of a Yalery... at the hands of another.

Hearing this, White saw an opportunity. If she could just get the power of a Yalery, she could bring about their ruin. It was a task of grand undertaking. It was a task that would require skill, power and a lot of luck. White possessed skill as warrior, power as a hero but it was still lacking until fate shined on her. And shine it did. 

The announcement of the young Yalery was a sign. A sign that this was the right path.

White was going to take the child. It was going to serve as her power. 

White gazed at her now full plate. 

It appeared, that at the end of the day, she was no better than the greedy beasts she travelled with. They were here for the queen's power; she was here for the child's own.

'No, I am better'

She had to be. She wasn't doing this for herself after all. She was doing it for the people of Afia unlike those self-serving beasts. She was giving them a better future while taking down a monster. She was right to do this.

The sound of a goblet hitting the table followed by a satisfied sigh rang out next to her.

Instructor Lucy had been initially against this idea, but with time she had come around. Even she knew that this had to end.

'Even Instructor Lucy understands this, I am right'

She was a hero. 

When was she never?

 

21