Chapter 65 ‘Princess Power’
670 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

It was quiet in the lit hallways of the castle. 

Only the sound of soft footsteps bounced around. 

'I'm now supposed to be a princess, right?'

As Ignavus walked, he glared at the evil tail blocking his way.

'This is no way to treat a princess!!'

Ignavus was feeling a lot of things. Anger, annoyance and even a slight bit of resentment. These feelings, all of them, had been stirred up by one simple fact.

Ignavus was very uncomfortable.

He didn't know if it was the combination of the sudden lighting or the group of children following him that caused this reaction, but... Ignavus just felt plain uncomfortable.

He felt out of his element.

From meeting the kids to even walking here. He still remembered the way they all stared at him in silence. It was a reaction that reminded him of when he first met Teen and Gol. The twins had stared at him for an uncomfortable amount of time as well but, in their case, it made sense. He did randomly drop from the sky, but, in the case of the kids here, it was just plain creepy.

'Marie, please! I'll do anything, just let me leave!'

A hopeless silent plea.

Ignavus felt he lost his ability to socialise for long periods of time. Something likely due to somewhat realizing he was Navy. It was so much harder to socialise when you felt weaker than everyone in the room.

'Marie, I was wrong. So wrong. This is not fine!'

The maid had become a crutch for Ignavus. One he would use whenever his confidence started waning. There was a problem with this crutch though, it only lasted for a few fleeting moments before a complete breakdown.

The only thing keeping Ignavus going on now was his stubborn pride. At least whatever remained of it. It wouldn't let him go up to Marie and beg in front of so many people.

'No way... have I become an... an...'

An antisocial weirdo. Yes, he, himself had become such a type of person. A type of person he used to look down on.

'Th-this can't be my fault! I didn't choose this!'

Ignavus generally didn't leave the castle much. In fact, since coming here he had only left it twice. Once to train on the mountains and second to meet the twins. He had at first thought those activities would at least be somewhat regular, but fate proved him wrong. Maybe it was because of his mother's growing care or his past record of failure, but any request to leave the castle were quickly denied.

He had been trapped for what felt like months interacting with the same three people. It was no wonder he would develop a few odd complexes. 

'Yea... this is totally normal...'

"Ah, uhm... hello again princess"(S.S)

'Damn it, don't talk to me!'

Turning his head, Ignavus met the smiling green face of a lizardman. Despite her being the second person to introduce themselves, he still didn't remember her name.

"Hello again"(I)

With a light smile, Ignavus returned the greeting in a manner he hoped would end the conversation. He also increased his walking pace slightly, being extra careful as not get too close to the tail ahead.

It didn't dissuade the eager child.

"I was wondering if you happen to like dressing up?"(S.S)

Ignavus looked down at his clothes. 

Did this count as dressing up?

Raising his head, he was greeted to an overly enthusiastic face.

"I-I was just wondering because... I have never seen royalty wear such fine clothes"(S.S)

Ignavus stared at the girl for a brief second. It seemed her persona of being cool and collected had disappeared. In its place was a hungry-eyed lizard. One that was hungry for him.

Repressing the shiver that ran up his body, Ignavus started searching for an answer.

He needed to end things quick.

'Kids are simple. Come on now, don't overthink it'

The question itself was also simple. It was a getting to know you type of question.

So, did Ignavus like dressing up?

Of course not. He liked the clothes sure, but the act of dressing up had been forever ruined for him.

'Right, simple answer'

Just as Ignavus was about to open his mouth and answer, a new voice chimed in.

"Don't you dare bore the princess with such mundane topics"(L.T)

The boy to first introduce himself had appeared besides the lizard girl. He was wearing a widely overconfident smile.

"The princess would most likely like to discuss matters involving a more... strange element. Isn't that right princess?"(L.T)

'What?'

Ignavus didn't know to respond, but luckily, he didn't have to.

"Shut your crap. The princess doesn't have time for your weird shit"(S.S)

The voice of the lizard girl had lost its former ferventness.

It had returned to its cool and collected form.

'Uh-HUH!?' 

Ignavus nearly tripped while walking.

Such vulgar words felt wrong coming from a child.

He quickly looked up and ahead at Marie. There was no way she didn't hear that.

"Couldn't you watch your words for even a second you dumb brute!"(L.T)

The boy's intended whisper came out more as a stifled yell.

"What did you call me, freak?"(S.S)

Ignavus silently increased his walking speed once more while the duo started bickering. It appeared the tail had allowed him just a little bit closer.

 

"Okay children, help yourselves!"(M)

Ignavus watched as the children flocked to the delicious looking food. They all gave respectful bows before passing by and heading to feast. Even the bickering duo made way to the food after calming down.

Ignavus could only really watch in envy from the entrance as he eyed them. 

The only thing he was allowed to eat was regurgitated mush. It maybe tasty and all but that didn't stop it from being regurgitated mush.

"Psssst! Over here, my lady!"(M)

Turning his head, Ignavus came face to face with a crouched Marie.

"Eek!"(I)

After quickly collecting himself, he questioned the maid.

"Marie... what are you doing?"(I)

"I know my lady just ate, but I did prepare something small for you"(M)

'She... she really did? Is it real food?!'

"R-really!?"(I)

As much as Ignavus complained about Marie, she was really the only person looking out for him. He should be a little grateful that he at least had her.

"Of course, my lady! It's right out there"(M)

Ignavus followed the direction where Marie had indicated.

His eyes slowly scanned the tree line until they came upon a small clearing. It would have been hard to see unless one knew where to look. Surrounded by trees of notably lesser height, the clearing, even from a distance, had a hidden beauty to it. A beauty that was ruined by what was sat right in the middle of it.

"I hid it a little away because I know you still find it quite embarrassing"(M)

Ignavus suddenly felt his whole face twitch uncontrollably.

That 'it' Marie was talking about was his stupid highchair.

"I can take you there for a quick moment and you can have your snack peacefully"(M)

Her voice sounded oddly pleased with itself.

Ignavus took a deep breath. He looked around for a quick minute before making his way to the walls of the entrance.

"My lady?"(M)

It was a good thing all the kids were so focused on their food. They didn't need to see this.

Raising his head, Ignavus gently touched the wall then smiled.

It seemed he still had some delusions to beat out.

Before he could get started though, two hands swiftly grabbed him.

"You shouldn't touch the walls, my lady. They are not the cleanest"(M)

After being set on the ground, Marie again crouched down and then proceeded to whispered to Ignavus.

"I know you don't really like this my lady, but please, please do try and enjoy. You won't be able to always do these sort of things"(M)

Marie held Ignavus' hands as she spoke.

"How about... just one friend, that's all I ask. Just try and make one friend today"(M)

Ignavus looked at Marie. Her eyes held all the sincerity in the world.

He looked away.

"Marie... I-I don't think I can..."(I)

It was such a simple request. He should be able to do it. Everyone who had come here, had come here with the express goal of doing just that. Making friends with him. It was simple. It was easy... yet he couldn't even do it.

Such a task would be better suited to the real Ignavus. The charismatic hero. He hardly struggled with anything unlike Navy. Navy didn't really exceed in anything and could hardly do anything. Being paraded as a fake hero was just about all she was good for. She couldn't do this. Ignavus couldn't do this.

"Of course, you can my lady. You've already done it before"(M)

"That... that was different"(I/N)

S/He was still delusional.

Marie took a deep breath.

"Well, I may not know what changed but I do know one thing"(M)

A gentle hand pulled a tiny head up.

"My Navy is the most special, loud and cute little girl I've ever had the joy of meeting and I know anyone else would feel the same"(M)

Ignavus/Navy stared at Marie.

She really did have a way with words.

The gazes were held until smiles were wore.

Hands dropped.

This comparison really needed to be stopped. It wouldn't change anything.

A brief look at the crowd showed the challenge present.

"I guess I could try..."(I/N)

A target had been selected.

The small outcast standing a part seemed to repel those around them.

The perfect one on one situation.

Plus, it appeared he was doing something interesting, something magical.

'Right, let's do this!'

26