Chapter 64 ‘Centre of attention’
556 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
500 READERS!!

<Marie>

"Wait, wait! Marie, what are you doing?! I still don't know what I'm supposed to-"(N)

As Marie forced the gate open, her lady begun muttering softly while trying to pull her back.

Marie smiled back.

Her lady had a small habit of overthinking every interaction. If Marie started to make allowances for that behaviour, they wouldn't go anywhere. Plus, such behaviour threatened to hinder her lady's growth as a ruler. The ability to make random public address should come in handy.

It was a shame her lady didn't see it that way.

"Maaaarie!"(N)

She had even adopted her whiney voice.

'I know you'll thank me in the future my lady!'

Marie just continued to smile until the gate fully opened.

Fifteen pairs of eyes simultaneously locked on Marie, or more accurately, her legs. Half hidden behind a maid dress, her lady stood, farrowed brows aimed at Marie.

'My, my...'

The children present all stared at her lady. Some had even unconsciously opened their mouths.

'This might be a little much for her right now' 

The reaction the children had were very normal. Her lady was a Yalery after all. They all carried an enchanting beauty and powerful aura by nature. For an adult though, the beauty they held was often unseen due to the terrifying aura forever present but, for a child...

'My lady's cuteness truly knows no bounds!!'

The children were simply taking it in. They would snap out of it soon enough.

Marie's tail flew out from behind her and started poking her lady's sides. She was going to be the one to snap them out.

"O-ouch, stop that!"(N)

One.

Two.

And finally, three made her let go.

"Just greet them my lady. Nothing more is needed"(M)

Marie watched her lady debate with herself before she loudly whispered.

"Fine! They're just some kids anyway! I can do this! It's a really simple thing!"(N)

"Yes, but of course"(M)

Marie saw a familiar fire light in her lady's eyes as she walked forward to the group of children.

'Too adorable'

"Greetings, chil-cough-guests. As you already know, I am Navy...."(N)

Her lady took a pause. A rather long one. It seems she already ran out of things to say.

"I-I am not sure why exactly you're here, but! Feel welcomed and... stuff..."(N)

As soon as her lady stopped talking, an awkward silence descended upon the room. The children merely continued to stare at her.

'I guess that's not so bad for her first- no, second attempt'

It was much better than making demands while calling people bigger than her tiny.

A dark-haired boy suddenly made a step forward.

With a respectful bow, the boy introduced himself,

"Greetings, Princess Navy. I am Lucais Treerem, born to a merchant family that sells oddities. It is a pleasure meeting you"(L.T)

'Oh, how well spoken' 

The boy's words sounded warm and inviting.

It was quite evident these children had been coached.

The boy finished his greetings by raising his head and giving a light smile.

Soon enough after, a green scaled girl took a step forward.

"Greetings, Princess. I am Slace Solace, a friendly lizardman. Meeting you is a great pleasure"(S.S)

The girl gave a very formal curtsy while also wearing a proper smile. Unlike the boy, her words felt more curt and crisp. They lacked a subtle brag.

More children stepped forward and introduced themselves. They had finally managed to collect themselves enough.

'These kids...'

Marie had hoped her lady would be able to make more mortal friends, but from the way things were going, it was unlikely to happen. All the kids present were holding themselves back from forming a true connection. It was no doubt the work of their supervisors...

'Ah, well. It's not like I didn't see this coming'  

Forming friendships with someone of unequal status was always hard. Marie knew this. It was why today she planned to tear down those barriers, if even for a little bit. Her lady deserved that much. Having good companionship was truly something special. It was a shame that Marie knew the more her lady grows, the less such opportunities will showcase themselves. 

After the last child spoke, Marie loudly clapped her hands to garner attention.

"Alright! Let us have some refreshments then we can get to today's activities"(M)

Marie made her way through the still open gates. It felt abnormal to have this many gates and doors around, but it was something her mistress insisted on since her lady's arrival. 

The sound of multiple soft footsteps rang out behind. They all maintained a steady distance from her... except for one. It repeatedly tried to bridge the distance. Luckily though, Marie's tail was there to foil any and all attempts.

'Hehe, go make some more dear friends my lady'

 

<Marcey>

The walking had resumed.

Marcey frowned.

It appeared getting closer to the princess was much harder than he realised.

Gazing at the two children ahead, who appeared to be the unofficial group leaders, made his teeth clench. After the brief introduction, both children had begun walking side by side with the princess. This itself was not a problem. The only problem arose from their little "followers" who barred Marcey from getting anywhere near close to the princess.

'I can't believe children get up to this kind of nonsense at such a young age'

Most kids seemed to know each other. A weird sort of social hierarchy was built upon this seemly common knowledge.

'I really should have studied these kids'

Such knowledge would have definitely come in handy though, it would be tough to gauge how handy. Marcey had never met with these kids before and didn't try to build a relationship with them. They didn't know him; he didn't know them. They quite simply didn't trust him.

Marcey lifted his hand to his chin. He needed a new plan.

The walking continued for about fifteen more minutes until they arrived at their destination. Exiting the hall, the group passed through a large archway that led to an open field.

'Phew, finally out of those creepy halls'

The lay out of the palace halls were nothing more than strange. Except for the halls they travelled, all windows were covered up. It felt like they were walking into their deaths.

"Okay children, help yourselves!"(M)

Three white tables were laid out in the field. They were filled to the brim with delicacies Marcey couldn't even recognise. Staring at the food, an idea came to mind.

Forget trying to approach the princess, he would make her come to him.

'It's been awhile; I hope I'm not to rusty'

It was time to whip out the old party tricks.

22