Chapter 42 ‘Two smiling eyes’
662 7 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

It was a game of chance. He shouldn't be losing this bad.

Ignavus gathered his courage once more. Picking one of the balls of paper between Teen's hand, he quickly directed his gaze to the paper in time to see the number present change.

"I'm the King again!"(V)

While the bird couldn't smile, Ignavus could have sworn it did.

'Oh no...'

The game they were playing was called crowns. The rules for this game were a little more complex than the last but relied more heavily on luck. To play said game, a person would require four strips of paper and something to write on them with. They would take the writing material and assign each one of the papers a number ranging from one to four. These papers would then be balled up and put in someone's hand to shuffle via shaking. After the paper balls had sufficiently been shuffled in someone's hand, each player would then pick a ball.

The winning conditions were easy. Whoever gets the paper with the number one is the winner. The winner then becomes King and has the power to order the other players around. Ignavus knew his odds of winning was one in four, but he didn't think they were so bad he would constantly lose.

"Teen, Gol! Come clean my feet"(V)

A weird rivalry had developed between the kids and the odd bird. It first started when Vultur won and ordered both kids to eat dirt. They walked out of the stone courtyard and into the garden, where to Ignavus' complete surprise, they actually ate dirt. Yes, even Teen. This single criminal act sparked an all-out war between the two side. Whenever each side got the role of the King, they would force the other to do something disgusting, embarrassing or downright harmful. There were points where the situation got totally out of hand like when the twins told Vultur to fly up high and stop flapping his wings when he saw them clap their hands. Ignavus understood the importance of following certain rules when playing games, but these guys were going to far!

"~Navy~ could you come pet my head gently?"(V)

'Speaking of going too far...'

Both competing sides seemed to have come to some sort of quiet agreement. One in which Ignavus was exempt from the most egregious orders in favour of him doing acts considered cute. Examples of this range from him doing embarrassing poses to him allowing them to pinch and play with his cheeks. It was like he was their reward for their bad acts.

Ignavus had wanted to quit the game multiple times by round ten when he realized just how rigged it was but... he didn't, and there were three good reasons why. One, both sides of the conflict knew when they had pushed him quite far and allowed him short breaks from each round to recover from his own embarrassment. Two, Ignavus wanted revenge for all the ridiculous things he been made to do. Winning through playing would allow for that. Three, justice. Ignavus wanted to catch whatever it was that was making him lose all the games and he felt like he was getting close.

Ignavus might not be able to put it in words but, he felt something. A short buzzing in his mind. A tingle in his gut. A twitch in his tail. Something.

"Are you ready for another round Navy?!"(T)

"Let's do this!"(G)

Teen and Gol were fired up and ready for payback.

"No..."(I)

Both their faces fell at his response.

"C-come on Navy, I'm sure you will win the next one..."(T)

"Yea... for sure..."(G)

"Ah man, I was having so much fun..."(V)

The twins didn't even sound like they believed their own words and Vultur... Ignavus didn't even want to get started.

'These guys...! Whatever! I got proof!'

Ignavus suppressed his anger and let out a smile.

The little prankster, or should he say pranksters, had gotten careless. 

"I refuse to continue a game that is rigged! And I have proof!"(I)

Ignavus pointed at a group of bushes where two pairs of eyes were presently watching them. A startled look shone on the eyes before they quickly retreated deeper into the bush.

A tired sigh escaped Teen's mouth.

"Navy, no one is cheating"(T)

'Did they seriously not see the eyes!'

"Of course, you didn't see..."(I)

A quiet resolve slowly built up in Ignavus.

'I'll just bring the guilty back!'

"Navy, I know losing sucks. It's okay, we can play a different game. We've been playing this too long anyway"(G)

Ignavus had had enough. 

"I am not seeing things and I will prove it! Wait until I get my proof!"(I)

He took off after the eyes before the others could get a response in.

 

Ignavus was catching up. His chest was burning, his feet were throbbing and his whole body was caked in sweat, but he was closer than he had ever been.

'Is this all part of the garden?!'

Ignavus had been on a hot pursuit for quite some time now and was starting to reach his limits. Whoever he was chasing was slightly slower than him but seemed to have endless stamina.

'Damn it! Damn it!'

If he didn't close the distance quicker, he would return empty handed.

Ignavus pushed himself to get closer to the point he could make out details of one of his assailants. A dark-skinned boy with puffy hair dressed in a full black outfit. The outfit was made up of charcoal-coloured shorts, long sleeved shirt, and a silly pointed hat.

'I got you kid!'

Just as Ignavus was about to grab the kid, the boy turned and faced his eyes towards Ignavus.

A black abyss reflected into Ignavus' eyes causing him to momentarily pause.

'What the hell!?'

The momentary pause caused him to lose pace. Allowing for the boy to get further away from him. With how exhausted Ignavus was there was no way he was going to catch up.

'How can he still move?!'

Ignavus had chased the boy into a small clearing allowing him a pleasant view to watch him get away.

'I really wish he would just trip on a log'

At those words Ignavus felt an odd reaction from within his body. At those words Ignavus felt his mana grow... excited?

'The heck?'

His mana felt just like it did after it awoke.

'Annoyingly uncontrollable and little'

Ignavus felt a sharp pain flare within his gut that caused him to completely crumble to the ground.

'AHH!'

Feelings of disapproval bubbled in Ignavus' mind. Feelings that seemed to come from his mana? 

'Sentient mana. As if I could get more abnor-'

The sharp pain quickly returned with a vicious revenge.

'Sorry! Sorry! I didn't mean that!'

Feelings of forgiveness flowed into Ignavus' head plus a little something more.

'You want to create a log?'

At the word create the mana practically beamed. Ignavus though was far from on-board with the idea. His mana had not proven to be the most helpful. It- feeling the pain in his gut grow again, Ignavus corrected himself- she had not been helpful when he was fighting Teen or running away from the twins. In fact, she had gotten him caught when he was trying to run away from the twins. Ignavus felt his mana justifying her actions by simply stating both situations were boring, and she didn't see the need to interfere greatly.

'I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work...'

Ignavus gazed at the boy who was just about to make it to the other side of the clearing. If he didn't do something the boy was going to get away.

'I got nothing to lose'

Ignavus gave the go ahead to his mana.

A block of wood materialised above the boy. It proceeded to drop like a stone and nail the kid's head.

Ignavus sat and watched the whole scene play with wide eyes.

'What happened to tripping him with a log?!'

Feelings of embarrassment flowed into Ignavus' head. Lifting his hand, he proceeded to smack his own head.

'I should have known...'

His mana was a complete screw up.

25