Chapter 49 ‘The ruminations of a lost child hero’
705 12 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

Ignavus could only sit on his tiny stool while being a mix and mess of emotions.

"~By the seas, the stars cried for me!~ Ohhhh, pretty lady what do you see?!~"(M)

The source of his confusion was happily singing a song that sounded like a nursery rhyme. The comb and scissors contained within her hands flashed around with the intention of bringing his hair to a desired length. It was almost like she was oblivious to the conflict raging within Ignavus. If Ignavus didn't know better, he would think she was, but luckily, he did. After all, he just learned a very important lesson. A scary one.

"My lady, would you please try and control your tail. It's kind of getting in the way of things"(M)

"I-I'm trying. It's just a little hard..."(I)

Ignavus could only helplessly watch as his tail danced back and forth. Despite furrowing his brows in concentration, he still couldn't control the unruly thing. Its rebellious actions could only remind Ignavus of a certain entity that should not be named.

'Stupid tail'

Ignavus hadn't really been paying much attention to his tail in spite of its fragility. He had just designated it as a weakness that needed to be controlled. Such thinking was probably why he had never noticed just how reactive it was to his mental state. If his tail had been acting up like this the entire time... it... it would explain a lot.

"It appears that my lady is still very happy?"(M)

As much as Ignavus didn't want to answer the question, his tail once again completely sold his feelings out. Its little dance suddenly increased tempo as it begun wagging like some happy pup. If that wasn't an answer, he didn't know what was.

The smile that bloomed on Marie's face couldn't be hidden. It was a smile that could outshine the sun.

'What's wrong with me?! Being happy at something so trivial is... is so...'

Ignavus didn't dare finish those words. They would feel most redundant.

'Have I truly gone past the point of no return?'

Here he was again. Taking comfort from Marie so shamelessly. Ignavus knew very well that Marie didn't really believe he was a hero. She was just saying this to make him feel good, feel better. As to why she felt the need to, he didn't really understand.

' I can't even do anything! I can't fight! I can't use magic! I can't even win a trivial game! What kind of hero-!'

That was a lie, he did know why. He did understand. His previous words were proof enough.

It had happened. At some point in time Ignavus had stopped thinking of himself as a hero. 

A slow creep. A gradual encroachment. 

The truth had been eating him and quietly so. 

Loss after loss. Embarrassment after embarrassment. It was becoming increasingly impossible to ignore.

Ignavus was not himself and hadn't been for a while now. He was no hero.

What kind of hero cries when spanked? What kind of hero wears dresses all day long? What kind of hero can't even feed or clothe themselves? None, that was the answer. Simple and precise. By plain proof of words Ignavus was in no way a hero.

Failing to stand up for himself, failing to best his enemy mother and aunt, failing to control his very own body. Ignavus had suffered failure after failure. Setbacks were no longer an exception but the norm. They had become so numerous that even thinking about them was almost enough to bring him to tears. Another failing.

With each and every passing day, Ignavus had grown more doubtful of his ability. It felt like everything he tried failed. He no longer fought as hard about anything he was told to do. From the totally random surprise dress up parties his dear auntie Cura fancied to the sporadic bouts of coddling from his queen mother. Ignavus took much of it without truly fighting back. Doubt and uncertainty would accost him anytime he so much as tried so. It was something Ignavus had been wilfully blind to... until Marie brought it out.

Her calling him a hero felt good. Too good, great even. The term hero held a special kind of significance to Ignavus. It was a word given to him by his admirers. It always served as a reminder to why he was so great. It filled him with a confidence like nothing else could for one simple reason. It meant someone believed in him and his abilities. It meant that even if he didn't think he could do it someone else thought he could. With the title he could conquer anything. Doubt be damned.

"Marie... do you really, truly think I am a hero?"(I)

Ignavus already knew the answer. It may not be a serious one, but it could be the start of one.

"Tut tut, is my lady really fishing for compliments?"(M)

Ignavus could only hung his head in shame as a deep red hue overtook his face. He may have been but... he just really needed it now.

Marie hovered around Ignavus waiting for an answer. One that wasn't exactly the most forth coming.

"My lady, for as long as I live. You will always be a hero, my hero. Don't ever forget that!"(M)

Ignavus lifted his head the moment Marie finished her proclamation. For a few odd seconds he would almost say she looked cool.

'Wow'

Seeing her stirred something within Ignavus. 

'My new admirer...'

A hero had died the day Ignavus had encountered his queen mother and with them their loyal admirers. It was about time for something, someone new to be born. A new hero greater than the last. One that didn't grieve over the past.

"I might have been a little"(I)

In a voice that was barely a whisper, Ignavus found himself speaking.

"What was that my lady?"(M)

"Nothing!"(I)

Most demons were known to have excellent hearing.

'Talk about fishing...'

 

Ignavus could only stare at the dinning hall door.

"So, shall we go in?"(M)

Losing face in front of his first new admirer would be pitiful. Ignavus had already simply refused to count all those times before.

'A new hero... much easier said than done'

Ignavus didn't really know where he was going with this or what even the point of doing it was. He never really wanted to be a hero; it was just something that happened by chance. All he ever thought he desired was an easy free life. One without worry or pain, but somewhere along the way that changed. The taste of power had corrupted him.

The white doors of the dining room shuddered once more as they tried to contain a surge of golden mana.

'This is too much...'

Ignavus might be a little scared, but fear has never seriously stopped him. It was just one of the many problems he had to face.

Ignavus took a deep breath and prepared himself.

'You think turning me into some weak little girl will destroy my spirit?! Think again!'

With the quick pep talk Ignavus marched toward the dinner gates.

 

<Marie>

Marie watched as her little lady march up the doors with some of her former confidence.

It was a lovely site. For only the sky knows she was going to need it.

 

33