Chapter 59 ‘A Cat’s kitten’
577 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Golden Queen>

The Golden Queen stared down the gathered crowd.

It was truly a horrid sight.

'My sister must indeed be mad to care for such beings'

The lives of these mortals were ever so short. Ever so fickle. They were forever trapped in fear of their impending death.

The queen glanced at the head of the crowd. A question eating at her mind.

'Since when did I become so mad?'

The queen suddenly felt a familiar tug from within. Recognizing it, she responded. Letting it flow freely.

'Nothing of note... is this truly the best they could muster?'

As the sound of bodies hitting the ground reverberated out, the queen managed to contain her sigh. Expecting little and getting less was always disappointing.

"Mommy... can I... can I... please... just sleep?"(N)

The queen studied the little baby burrowed in her lap. With every passing day, she felt something within her grow stronger for her dear daughter. It was something beyond hard to describe. It left her with a craving that could only be satisfied by spending time with her daughter. It was maddening.

'Shall I still let you sleep my little one? Haven't you slept enough?'

It was mid-day. Her dear little daughter had been sleeping since early night yesterday. It seemed that the exhaustion brought about by the binding was greater than expected. Navy had even missed breakfast.

'Ah, have I spoiled you too much again?'

The queen had let Navy enjoy herself rather well after the binding. If the extra sleep wasn't enough, then the added cuddling definitely was. Throughout the entire last night, the queen had allowed Navy to sleep with her. Her sweet daughter had held onto her for the duration of the whole night. Even when morning came the small baby refused to let go. 

'How adorable...'

It was only normal that a child desired to stay with their parent. Such behaviour was to be expected... but shouldn't be overdone.

"Now, now, my little one. I can't have you sleeping. Not when there are guests to tend to"(G.Q)

"But... wait. Guests? What guests?"(N)

The voice of her dear daughter was always lovely to hear. Especially when confused.

"W-why are there people here!?"(N)

The mortals gathered here were there for her. Something the queen had purposely avoided answering. The queen had initially planned on telling her the purpose of their visit, after all, it would help with achieving its goal. Her becoming more aware of her status as a Yalery and princess. Her becoming more obedient.

Navy caved easily to expectations people held of her. Her knowing these people expected a Yalery princess would naturally help her fall into line. It was something so simple... but the queen's feelings had changed along the way.

The queen had started to feel like Navy needed to be tested. As the days had passed, she begun to notice something. Her daughter's inexcusable growing naivety. It was something the queen knew would happen. Something inevitable. This test was merely there to help counter some of it whilst checking its progress. Navy would learn how to deal with unexpected situations which should help curb the naivety. The only treatment to it was exposure and not to mention... her reaction to the surprise was also rather entertaining. Cura had been right.

With all that said... she still needed to answer her daughter's question. Her little daughter was clutching on to her for dear life after all. Maybe she should take a play from her sister's book?

"I wish I knew. I really have no idea"(G.Q)

"R-really?"(N)

"Unfortunately, yes. Though I do have a few ideas..."(G.Q)

"Like... like what?"(N)

"Young weak Yalery are a rare find. These people here might be merely playing to their advantage..."(G.Q)

The words spoken by the queen was a sick reality. Mortals, beasts and creatures of far reach all desired the powers granted by Yalery. They would often do absurd things to gain favour and when that failed... they would stoop low. Too low.

"Y-you wouldn't let them, r-right?"(N)

Such beings always go for the easy targets. Namely young foolish Yalery who are lured away from their protectors. The naivety of the child was their forever doom. It was that same naivety her own daughter held. 

"Of course, I wouldn't. Stop being so gullible"(G.Q)

The queen gazed at the little girl in her lap. She spotted a pouty face presumably due to the forehead flick she just received. 

It was a good thing Navy had her for it meant Navy's own naivety didn't matter.

It meant Navy would be safe with her.

Be happy with her.

Forever.


"Care to introduce yourself to our guests? It would be rather unbecoming not to"(G.Q)

"N-No thank you, please"(N)

'This little girl...'

The large golden eyes that stared up at the queen looked a little... lost? 

'Hmm...'

The queen was not expecting that. It was odd for her daughter to display such a face. The little girl was always so fiery and loud even when being obedient. Her strong headedness could only be matched by her stubbornness.

'You are really just a child'

 The lost look was new, but the queen had an effective counter for it. The child simply needed to affirm herself.

"Oh, but you certainly must"(G.Q)

At those words, the queen felt Navy begin to tighten her grip around her midsection. 

"Marie"(G.Q)

"Yes, my mistress. Let me be of service"(M)

It was times like these when the queen pondered the words of her sister. The debate on mortals was truly something.

The queen watched as Marie gently tried to extract her daughter. She still was quite the mortal though she failed.

"Navy... now is not the time to start misbehaving..."(G.Q)

"Don't worry, my mistress. I got just the thing!"(M)

The demon maid gave the queen a small wink before doing something rather strange.

"Don't- hehe! No! hehe- W-wait-hehehe!!"(N)

The little girl now resting in the arms of the demon maid.

Laughing.

The laughter rang throughout the entire hall. Filling it with a pleasant sound and drawing smiles.

While the little girl was carried, her hands rushed to cover her mouth before she was finally set down. 

"My mistress, would you like to learn how to do that?"(M)

Marie appeared beside the queen. A meeting of eyes answered the simple question.

"It would be my pleasure"(M)

The queen gazed at the crowd. She was not the only one to enjoy her daughter's lovely voice.

'Disgusting...'

By the time the queen refocused on Navy, she had already finished her introduction.

'What is she staring at?'

At the front of the crowd stood a warrior cladded in black armour. The warrior made up the only two people who appeared to possess higher than average fighting prowess. The queen stared at the warrior analysing them. Trying to figure out what caught her attention. It was then that her daughter's face lit up and her tail started wagging.

"Oh, I take it you must be the hero?"(G.Q)

There was only one thing that could excite her daughter so much. Heroes. She loved heroes to the point she would even play as them.

"Yes, I am. Golden Queen"(W)

There was no doubt her little girl would want to meet the hero.

A faint smile bloomed on the queen's face.

"Marie, show the guests to the hall and come back immediately"(G.Q)

"Certainly, my mistress"(M)

The Golden queen stood up.

"I welcome you to my grand home. Make yourselves comfortable. I will be joining you shortly"(G.Q)

Marie started to lead the crowd out as soon as the queen finished.

With the large doors finally closed, the queen turned her attention towards Navy.

Her tail flashed out from behind before grabbing her daughter and placing her in her arms. The queen then sat back in her seat.

"I take it you want to meet that little hero?"(G.Q)

The Golden queen decided to have a talk with her daughter. One that would need to end before her sister sauntered into the room.

She was really looking forward to it.

 

23