Case 205: Experience.
682 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hanazawa Hanako was a simple girl.

Lying on her hospital bed, playing games, and watching content, basically being terminally online all day. All she wanted was another episode of her favorite anime and a longer, healthier life.

Sylvia Everwood is also a simple girl.

She goes around and eats, sleeps, plays, trains, has sex—just normal stuff. All she wants is to spend peaceful days with her loved ones, build a big, happy family, and then carry on the experience—solidify them in her mind forever.

I'm both of those girls. I should be a simple, cookie-cutter kind of person, yet... Why do I feel so complicated?

''...''

On the balcony of my room, I stand, leaning on the railings and watching the sunset in silence. The wind is gentle, caressing my skin and making my hair flutter.

Sometimes, I feel like this.

An empty feeling, as if there is something missing in my heart, even though everything is going well. I mean, I know this is probably just some kind of spontaneous thing, and I'll recover right the next day, but it weighs on my mind.

What weighs my mind, though?

The fact that I suddenly have an existential crisis? Or something else entirely?

I don't know.

''Hah...''

Maybe I'm becoming a mentally unstable girl. But I heard that's quite popular nowadays, so...

As I'm having such silly thoughts, someone opens the door and walks up to me.

''...Mom?''

Standing next to me is a beautiful woman—an elf who has given me life in this world. She gently strokes my head, smiling elegantly like she always does.

''Tell me what's wrong.'' She says.

''How did you...'' I trail off. ''I mean, it's quite obvious, yeah.''

''No decent mother would not recognize her child's struggles.''

As Mom keeps moving her hand, expecting an answer, I close my eyes and begin to organize the information in my head.

''...I guess I'm still afraid.'' I speak up. ''I have realized, Mom.''

''Go on.''

''We're far behind our enemies. If one of the commanders under Eve appears again, and Eva is busy, I don't think we can fight them off without some serious sacrifice.''

''That is true.''

''I'm uncertain, Mom. Do we really have what it takes to defeat them? Their strength easily transcends our limits, yet I have barely scratched the depth of our power.''

''...''

''If someday... Someone I love was to perish because of my incompetence... I really do feel like that would be the end of me. What do I...''

''Stop.''

''...?''

At this point, Mom suddenly grabs my cheek and turns my face toward hers. A serious look has replaced the elegant mask.

''First of all, even if someone were to suffer, it would not be your fault.'' She says. ''This might sound selfish, but they chose to accompany you on your journey. It is their responsibility to manage the risks on their own. Of course, it would be different if you were intentionally harming them.''

''I... Guess?''

''And one more thing...''

This time, her expression softens. She looks at me melancholically, her violet eyes trembling ever so lightly.

''It seems I have not done enough to you as a mother.'' She sighs. ''Baby, listen. I owe you an apology.''

''What are you...?''

''You were born as an elf, Sylvia. To me and to your dad, your time, even counting your past life, is negligible to us. You are no different than a baby to us.'' She continues. ''And... It really does seem we have not paid enough attention to our only baby. We let you shoulder the heavy burden of saving the whole world alone all this time.''

I mean, you should blame Eva, then...

''Baby, I promise. We, Everwood, as a country, will do our utmost to assist you in your endeavor. We will be your reliable strength, your eternal home, and... Just remember, you are not alone, Sylvia.''

''...Mom.''

Suddenly, I feel my eyes burning. Unknowingly, ugly tears begin to trickle down my cheeks. I lean in and hug my mom tightly, letting her warmth embrace my body.

''There, there...'' She pats my back.

''sniff... sniff...''

At this moment, I am sure. 

This... Will be an experience I will never forget, even long, long into the future. And I am determined to carry this experience on and imprint it forever in my mind.

Once I have calmed down a bit, Mom wipes my tears with her handkerchief, and we both smile at each other.

Really, Dad is so lucky to have a woman like mom here.

''Well... It's time for dinner, no?'' I change the topic. ''Let us go inside. I'll ask Emy to make food again.''

For this occasion, both couples from Seymour and Campbell will remain here for the duration of our stay. They all seem to love Emy's cooking, which I totally understand.

I fear Emy is going to get snatched away if I don't pay attention... Should I marry them right now? But preparing for a wedding is going to take time, and we want to travel, too...

''That would be wonderful, dear.''

''Um.''

Anyway, food.

''Hm?''

When I turn around, I see the door is slightly open. In the gap, I notice a pair of familiar orange cat ears, and as I keep staring, they twitch lightly.

Anna...

So I pull the door open anyway.

''Ah.'' Anna exclaims.

Expectedly, my party members are all standing there, some leaning on the wall, some crouching. I can't help but smile.

''You guys, it's time for dinner.'' I put my hands on my hips. ''Emy, my love, can I ask you to cook for us again?''

''Mhm.''

With that, we happily move to the dining room and begin to anticipate today's meal. This time, the conversations flow much smoother than yesterday. My parents-in-law are rightfully curious about the fiancés and partner that they're not used to, so they're showering questions right now.

It's quite awkward with Sariel, though. She's literally the oldest in here.

Well, I suppose it'll be fine. Probably. Um.


''How long do you plan to stay in Everwood?''

''Hm... Maybe a week or two?''

''That short...?''

''Mhm... We plan to explore Ranka in full before Eve starts making troubles again.''

Today, the sun is warm, and the weather is just right.

The six of us are out in the streets, roaming the capital of Everwood. 

Normally, at least one of my party members would have been surprised by the technological level here, but, well, we spent almost three years in the modern world already, so there's that.

''Mhm...''

''What's wrong, Liana?'' I inquire my local sadist, who's licking her ice cream.

''I wanna play Apex again.''

''You're addicted...''

''It's fun.''

''I mean, yeah.'' I shrug. ''Well... Let me ask Eva if it's possible to calibrate a new internet system.''

''You're the best, Sylvie!''

Liana hugs me from the side. Seizing the chance, I take a bite of her ice cream.

''Be sure to reward me with something nice in bed, alright?'' I whisper into her ear.

''You bet.'' She grins.

Just like that, we continue our way, chatting, eating, and trying new stuff together. Things are going quite well, even several hours into the date, until...

''Ah.''

''Sariel?''

''That person...''

Sariel points to a woman in front of the bakery. She has an elegant aura—like Mom—and she is quite a beauty as well. Judging from her clothing and demeanor, she is probably noble.

''What about that person?'' I ask.

''Hm... I might be wrong, but I think I met her the previous time I was here...''

Oh?

21