Case 14: Combat training.
7.1k 13 277
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello there, I'm Sylvia, 13 years old. I'm going to have to save the world, in like, 22 more years.

Saving the world means that I'll probably have to go to war with demons someday. I am aware of that.

So I asked my dad, an Archmage to teach me combat when I turned 6. At first, it was just Dad teaching me magic, but then it evolved into me combating monsters that my dad made. Sometimes my friends join me too. Though Emy would usually train with her swordmaster dad and Liana would train with the Marquess.

I wonder what monster I'll face today...

Walking to the training field, I can see my dad standing there with my two friends.

''Hey Dad, you two as well. What are we doing today?''

''Ah, daughter, here you are.'' Dad and the gals turn to me ''Today I'll test the three of you together.''

''Sure, what monster are we fighting today?''

''Confident enough to face a dragon?'' Dad says, smiling.

''''...''''

For your information, a normal dragon is as strong as a 1 or 2-star Master, and he wants us to battle one.

''Honestly? I think we can do it.'' I reply.

''...I don't mind doing it.'' Emy speaks up after pondering for a bit.

''Well, I'm screwed.'' Liana smiles weakly. ''You guys are going to drag me in this anyway, right?''

Seeing this, my dad's smile grows wider. ''Don't worry, you won't die.''

That did not inspire confidence at all, Dad.


ย We start to get into position, Emy unsheathes her long sword with obsidian gems sticking on the cross guard on the end of the handle, she then mana coats the blade with the mana from her sword and her two bracelets, making the whole sword and her bracelets glow in golden.

Liana bounces the scythe sitting on the floor behind her with her feet, spinning it a few times before holding it horizontally to her right. Her new scythe is still longer than her height, it's a pitch-black one with emeralds on the end poles of the handle. Just like Emy, the scythe and the gem on her necklace begin to glow in green as she uses the mana to coat the scythe.

And I pull out, well, nothing, I can't exactly use my super AP bullets here, the dragon's scales and its magic shield are quite literally impossible to break normally, but I think I can banish it to the shadow realm in one shot through the mouth or the eyes, and that'll be cheating. So I'll have to do with my magic here.ย 

In fact, that's what people do to defeat dragons, just target the eyes and mouth, and sometimes its belly. Gotta take advantage of the opponent's weak points.

Dad concentrates a bit, then focuses the mana onto the other side of the field. Slowly, I can see a red dragon a size of a 4 stories building emerging, it has giant legs with sharp claws, thick scales everywhere except its belly, a long tail that moves like a snake, golden eyes with vertical black slits, an open mouth full of sharp teeth, and above all, a giant pair of wings.

ย 

ROARRRR

I instinctively use telekinesis to fix us in place and hastily make a mana shield for protection. Shit, almost got blown away there.

''How are we supposed to kill this thing?!'' Liana shouts.

''Just go unga bunga! Ain't got no time for strategy! Just target the eyes and mouth!'' I shout back.

''You're not being very helpful!''

''I know right!!''

BOOM

A tail strikes the place I was just standing before, chipping the cobber floor.

Why always me?!

Not the time for that now, those two have already charged toward the dragon, and I can see it already began to charge for a fire breath. I immediately imagine a giant ice spear that is about 3 meters long and 20cm thick, aim it straight at the dragon's mouth, and then launch it.

The spear hit perfectly at the red, molten-like tongue of the creature, causing it to hiss in pain and shake its head a bit.

My two teammates jump in with their weapons but unfortunately, the dragon manages to get back in time. It then uses the tail from before to whip both of them back, rendering their attacks useless and pushing them away.

Not wavering, they immediately go in again. On my part, I cast 3 more ice spears as the dragon tries to use its tail again.

Not this time, idiot.

I concentrate my mana to use telekinesis to the maximum of my ability, forcing the tail in its place.

Simultaneously, I launch my spears at its eyes, to which it responds by ducking down to dodge. Fortunately, both Emy and Liana each get a stab in its eyes because of the dodge, causing it to let out a piercing roar again. My teammates immediately fall back and stand beside me.

It went berserk.

''What do we do now?!'' Shouts Liana.

''I don't know! Dodge until it ran out of energy? It shouldn't be able to see us now.''ย 

''Then try flying above!'' This is Emy, it's weird hearing her voice this loud.

But she's right, we should fly above and wait.

So I use telekinesis to bring all three of us up into the sky, around 50m above the ground. It's not like they can't fly on their own, just that I'm more comfortable doing it, and I have no trouble moving all of us here.

The dragon starts to struggle in pain, shooting all kinds of magic everywhere. Dragons are just like some of those idiots who create a character in an RPG, put all the stats into power and magic and defense and whatnot, but put negative on the intelligence stat. So usually they're very dumb, only a selected few of higher bloodlines are smart.

So we wait above for a while, and I hatch a simple plan.

''Hey, can you guys poke its eyes one more time and make its mouth open? I'm going to freeze that bastard's brain.''

''Fine, but aim carefully.''

''Sure.''

I nod and start to conjure 5 more ice spears, then I use telekinesis to compress all of them together, tighter and tighter...

Eventually, what's beside me is a super hard compressed ice spear of 3.5 meters and only 10cm thick, ready to launch.

The dragon stops firing magic and seems to have run out of energy, my two teammates nod to me and I release them down.

While falling down, they use their own telekinesis to adjust the angle. Precisely, Emy's sword digs into its left eye once more, while Liana's scythe swings straight at its right eye.

The dragon yanks its head upward and points its open mouth at the sky due to the excruciating pain, leaving my mates hanging on their weapons. I fly to the angle at which I can see the palate of its mouth and launch the spear with maximum velocity towards my target.

The spear penetrates the relatively soft part of the mouth, going all the way through the brain, nearly freezing all of its content, I'd imagine.

The dragon pauses for a second and then drops down, vanishing into nothingness.

clap clap clap

''That was impressive, ladies.''

I fly to where my friends are, and I can see Dad coming out of the corner.

''Well, that one was annoying.'' I say.

''Your teamwork is still a little clumsy, but you'll get there.'' Dad replies, stroking his chin.

'''' Thank you, Your Majesty. '''' Emy and Liana bow lightly.

''You deserve it, now I only have magic to teach you guys.''

'''' ... ''''

''Hmm...'' Dad ponders. ''Do you guys have any interest in, say... Becoming diplomats?''

''For what?'' I ask.

''To negotiate something with the Empire.'' He smirks.

That smirk... There's something else to this, I'm sure.

277