Chapter 8
1.8k 3 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few hours of searching around far past his normal range, making sure to mark the way back, Dan finds many different things to eat. But he found even better than that, a road. A dirt road, but a road never the less, and Dan knew what that meant. People used this road at least on a semi-regular basis, or else the road would have been overrun by plants.

Dan follows the road making sure to mark trees and rocks so he does not get lost when he wants to return. Following the road for a few minutes, Dan sees the main road, one made of asphalt. Observing the road, he can see that it is not a highway, and Dan does not see any cars traveling on it, so it is probably not a popular route. Dan decides to go the other direction on the dirt road and see where it leads.

Traveling the other direction for several minutes, Dan stumbles upon a huge log cabin inn or something. Dan climbs a nearby tree to see if there is a sign that says what it is. On a branch of the tree, Dan looks to see that the building is called, New Oak Log Cabin Lodge. "So its a log cabin lodge, it's pretty big. I wonder if anyone is staying there right now," Dan asks himself?

Dan searches around to see if there are any cars, but he does not find any. "I guess it is not open right now or something," Dan says to himself.

"I will come back here later, it's getting late, and I do not want to be caught out in the dark," Dan thinks to himself as he climbs down the tree he is on. "It is just a bit more than an hours walk from the stream to get here anyhow," Dan says to himself.

Dan got back home right as the sun is starting to set. Dan snacks on the snake for a little while. Looking at the snake, Dan sees there is about a third left to eat. Dan has enough bio-energy to evolve, but he is mauling over if he should evolve or upgrade his abilities more. Dan kept snacking until he is full, then goes to sleep for the night.

Waking up the next morning, Dan eats a bit of the snake and hears a notification.

[Devour trigged, gained ability Heat Sense Level 1.]

As the system notification rang out, Dan felt his face start to heat up. After a few seconds, Dan felt like his face is burning in a fire. After what felt like forever for Dan, the burning feeling stops. "Damn, the new abilities are awesome, but the itching, burning, and pain are awful," Dan says to himself while trying to catch his breath.

"So I got Heat Sense, I can now see heat just like a snake. I should try it out," Dan thinks to himself as he climbs down his tree.

On the ground, Dan looks around and faintly perceives the heat given off by things. He decides to close his eyes to see if he could perceive the heat better that way. With his eyes closed, Dan can see the heat much better than with his eyes open. As Dan thinks about uses for this ability, he realizes that as he never goes out at night, this ability will not be that useful to him.

"I better get moving if I want to see that lodge," Dan thinks to himself as he starts to walk to the lodge.

Back with Emma, she is talking to Catlin as she is getting on the bus. "I got a full night's rest, so I am fully energized for this trip," Emma tells Catlin with a happy tone.

"That good, we are going to have so much fun on this trip," Catlin says to Emma as they sit down together.

"Alright children, quiet down for a second," a female teacher says, then wait for everyone to settle down. "We will be heading to New Oak Log Cabin Lodge to stay,\ while learning about geology and plants in the forest. We will be staying there until Sunday afternoon, so be sure to keep track of your things. Also, if you need to take any medication be sure you packed it in your bag, New Oak Log Cabin Lodge is a half-hour trip, so we can't go back for it, your parents would have to bring it. From 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Ms. Brooks will be teaching you, the rest of the time you can play games or whatever you want to do. You will not be allowed to go into the forest or walk the hiking trail without supervision. Do you have any questions," the teacher asks?

A student with a black shirt and blond hair raises his hand. "Yes, William," the teacher says.

"When will we eat," William questions?

"Breakfast will be at 8 a.m., lunch at noon, and dinner at 5 p.m.," the teacher answers. "Any other questions?" Waiting for a few moments with no one raising their hand, she then says, "Alright then, let's get moving."

The bus driver starts the bus, and they were off.

Dan arrives by the lodge. He climbs a nearby tree to see if there are any cars today. Looking at the parking lot in front of the building, Dan sees three cars. "There are really people here," Dan says excitedly. "I could find out where I am, but I have to be careful. They could easily kill me either on accident or on purpose. I should stay out of sight. The other bonus of people is all the food they bring. I can massively expand the number of food types if I can get some of the food they bring," Dan thinks to himself, concocting a plan on how he can accomplish that.

Dan decides to upgrade his teeth before going down the tree and toward the cars.

40