2 ♡ Our Home
1.3k 14 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I agreed to become Miho's sister on a whim. It wasn't a decision I had much say in; with what she thinks that happened with me in this apartment, she would’ve probably called the police if I hadn’t gone with her. Still, now, she held the title of my older sister, an editor from Dengeki Bunko. She was quite the beauty as well.

But first, we had to deal with the issue right in front of us.

With our sisterhood sealed in a spontaneous moment, Miho suggested we took on the daunting task of cleaning my cluttered apartment.

“By the way, Kawakami…san1A common Japanese honorific title used as a polite and neutral way to address someone, regardless of gender or familiarity. It is akin to using Mr., Mrs., or Ms. in English., What should I call you?”

“You can just call me onee-chan2A Japanese term used by a younger sibling to affectionately address their older sister. It reflects a sense of closeness and endearment within the sibling relationship.! Or just Miho, if you’re more comfortable with that.”

“Hmm, well then I’ll just call you Miho.”

“Okay, Kaede-chan!”

“By the way, are you sure you’re not going back to work? I feel kind of bad keeping you here to clean up the mess I—I mean my dad, made,” I confessed, a hint of guilt in my voice.

Miho's laughter filled the room, a heartwarming sound that eased my worries. "Don't sweat it; this is the least I can do for my beloved little sister!"

"T...thanks," I mumbled softly, my cheeks tinged with a bashful blush as I adjusted to my new role as Miho's little sister.

I’m never gonna get used to her calling me that.

Miho responded with an affectionate smile, her eyes radiating sisterly warmth. Then, after nearly an hour of cleaning, I finally sank onto my bed, releasing a relieved sigh.

Miho dusted off her hands. “Now that we’ve cleaned up the place, we're good to go. Go pack your things,”

“Good to go? What do you mean?” I questioned, my voice tinged with bewilderment.

“You’re moving in with me.”

“Heh? You sure?”

“Hundred percent. I can’t just leave you here alone, can I? Also, how can I take care of you if we’re not living together?”

With a sigh of resignation, I accepted the inevitable. There was no turning back; Miho was already too invested in being my older sister.

“There isn’t really much to pack, though. All I really need is my laptop and some other stuff.”

“Ooh, then we should sell all of the things you don’t need anymore, and go shopping for new ones together! It’ll be our first time shopping together as siblings!”

She’s really enthusiastic about this whole sibling thing, huh.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I do all of my shopping online. I never leave the house, you see!”

“Don’t worry," Miho said, her determination shining through, "I will guide you out of that hikikomori3A Japanese term used to describe individuals, typically young adults, who withdraw from social life and often confine themselves to their homes for an extended period, sometimes even years. This withdrawal is often driven by social anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues. lifestyle, help you become a normal human being, and turn you into a respectable young lady!”

A normal human being? Is she implying that I’m not?

Her words landed like a curveball I never saw coming, and the sheer absurdity of the situation left me dumbfounded. I could tell she meant well, but talk about backhanded…

"Thanks," I replied, forcing a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes.

I gathered my laptop, chargers, gaming consoles, and some reference material for my light novels. Then, I informed Miho that I was ready to leave.

"You got everything?" she asked.

"Mhm," I nodded.

As we left my apartment, I took one last glance inside. It had been about a year since I moved in here. I could count the number of times I'd actually left the apartment on one hand. Groceries, clothes, electronics—I ordered everything online. I would spend my days reading and writing novels, or watching anime. Looking back, I hated the NEET4An acronym standing for "Not in Education, Employment, or Training." that I had become. Though 'NEET' might not have been the right word for me, as I did manage to scrape by each month with the money I earned from my web serials.

I closed the door and turned around. I was leaving this apartment as a different person, quite literally. And with a stranger, an editor at that. As bizarre as this situation might’ve been, and how embarrassing this new "me" was for me, it seemed like a golden opportunity to piece my life back together.

Breaking the silence, Miho spoke up. "I'll call a taxi for today; it'd be a bother to bring all your stuff with us on the trains."

"Ah, yeah. Right," I murmured, my mind still fixated on the image of her home.

The taxi arrived promptly, and soon we were en route to Miho's place. As the cityscape blurred by outside the car window during the thirty-minute drive, my excitement and anxiety intensified.

“I haven’t told you about why I was interested in your work yet, right?” Miho broke the silence.

“Ahh, no. I don’t think you have.” I answered, my curiosity piqued.

A warm smile tugged at the corners of Miho’s lips. “It’s because I love the way you write and how you’re able to put so much feeling into your words."

I also started smiling. This was the first time anyone had ever complimented my novels.

But then I remembered the comments I got, and the smile quickly disappeared.

“But why does it get so much hate, then?”

Miho gave a soft nod. “You’ve probably read them as well, right? Your comments?”

I lowered my head, trying to hide my sad expression.

“Yeah.”

"While the internet may be a harsh place filled with people eager to see you fail, there's still a grain of truth in their words."

I shifted my gaze towards Miho, my curiosity piqued by what she had to say.

"Your characters, especially the female ones, tend to be rather one-dimensional. They share the same personalities, traits, and interests. This is perhaps your most significant challenge at the moment because characters are the lifeblood of your story. The next issue is your storytelling itself. You often introduce intriguing concepts early on, making the initial chapters engaging, but your lack of planning becomes evident as the story progressively loses its coherence."

My eyes widened in realization. Miho's critique echoed the harsh comments I had received before, but this time, it felt like a genuine learning experience.

"So, you're suggesting that if I work on those two things, I can become a successful author?" I asked, the sadness from earlier now replaced by a glimmer of hope.

"Hmm, well, it would certainly be a substantial improvement, potentially getting you published. However, whether those two factors alone guarantee 'success' is another matter," Miho replied, her expression stern.

"Oh..." I let out a subdued sigh.

"Don't worry. I'm not saying that you can't become successful; I'm just saying there's more to it than that."

"Such as?" I inquired.

"I believe you're a genius, a young writer without any significant technical errors. I've also noticed your frequent story updates and your ability to write fast. These are crucial skills for a successful author," Miho explained.

“But?” I said, already expecting the ‘but’.

"But there are also some other things holding you back. For instance, your pen name, 'HaremSama.' It's not a professional choice, and it hinders both readers and publishers from taking you seriously. Furthermore, the genre you write in doesn't align with your strengths. The few well-written characters you have created are often undermined by explicit or harem-related content. As for the genre itself, you usually write ecchi isekai stories with meaningless harems. It doesn't seem to suit you, and now that I've met you in person, I'm certain it doesn't."

I can’t tell her that I was writing harems because the protagonist was a self-insert of me that I’d always surround with pretty girls to make myself feel better.

"I genuinely believe that if you find the right genre, get a more normal pen name, focus on story plotting, and, most crucially, refine your skill in crafting realistic and relatable female characters, you can indeed become a successful author.”

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Thanks, Miho. When I first read those comments, I thought all the time I'd spent writing novels had been a waste. I was close to giving up on writing. You've really come at the perfect time."

Miho's eyes also glistened with tears as she leaned closer and embraced me. "I see, Kaede-chan. Let's make sure you become a successful writer. I'll be here to support you," she said, her comforting words soothing my worries.

I nodded with a heartfelt "Mhm."

After a few minutes, the taxi pulled up to our destination. "Ah, we’re here," Miho said, her voice filled with anticipation.

Miho expressed her gratitude to the taxi driver, and we both stepped out of the vehicle, each retrieving our bags from the trunk—Miho with her bag, and me with my suitcase and bags filled with electronics and other essentials.

When I turned around, an average-sized house with a pleasantly modern appearance stood before us. "This is it," Miho said.

She turned towards me, her eyes radiating warmth and excitement. "Welcome home," she said, her voice gentle yet profoundly heartfelt.

A surge of emotion washed over me upon hearing those two simple words. It was no longer just Miho's house; it was now "our" house.

I turned to Miho, my voice quivering. "...Thanks, Miho."

48