Witch Princess: Part 1: Chapter 17.1
472 8 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 17
 
Cassivan, Maertel, and Othid left their box, went down the stairs, and headed for a back room through a door. Finri followed them, dipping in and out of sight with the way she flitted between people. 
 
Amirya went the opposite way in the round room, towards a man calling out for people to come check out the auctions for slaves and fighters. He smiled at her as she approached and pointed down the hallway behind him and telling her to follow the purple light.
 
Amirya covered her nose as she walked, uncomfortable with the scent of dirt and blood. She already felt fried and overwhelmed by the powerful auras that exuded off the guests. In a plain room with wooden chairs lined up neatly before a small stage, a man with a fox mask laughed on stage, gesturing behind him. 
 
Amirya nearly froze up, a small lizard beast stood with a chain around its' neck, and the scales glistened in the candlelight, light green scales. It wearily blinked; its' yellow snake-like eyes darted across the room anxiously. The fear inside the beast made Amirya nauseated. 
 
In this room, too, she was careful not to look at the ghosts.
 
Her hands clenched into fists. 
 
This is why Finri is the main character - she stops the shitty things, caring about the people involved. Even though I read the book and knew about the Midnight Sins, I just… and what did I do before? Throw things in my room and demand for Valer?
 
She shook off her thoughts and forced herself back on track. They will be freed, but today, she had to stop Cassivan and that man from meeting.
 
She went to a servant off to the side and placed a couple gold coins in his hand, “I have someone in particular in mind. Take me to someone useful.”
 
The waiter bowed and handed his tray of drinks off to another girl, all in half face masks. He led Amirya to the far side of the room, through another hallway, towards a small office. She sat on a plush red couch and waited as the waiter directed.
 
“You must have quite the pouch to demand a private meeting - the meeting alone, it’s thirty gold coins.” A man said from behind her. She did not turn. He slowly circled the couch and plopped down on the twin furniture across from her. “You can pay that, won’t you?”
 
“You’ll have a lot more than thirty gold coins,” she said evenly, smiling beneath her own mask, a simple black one. She pulled a glass bottle from her bag and opened it. She drank half of it and then offered it to the man, who simply tilted his head. 
 
“A new drug,” she said casually. “It was cooked up in a noble’s house sponsoring alchemist, don’t worry. I’ll distribute this, and also, I want to buy a slave.”
 
“Even still, I can’t just…” The man trailed off as Amirya took off her mask.
 
She knew she was a beautiful girl. She smiled again, coyly this time. “They call it ecstasy.”  
 
Thank you, D.A.R.E. program on earth for teaching me all the things I shouldn’t have known as a kid. 
 
“It gives you a boost of energy for hours, reduces pain, and provides a sense of euphoria. The sheer pleasure of it removes any feelings of humiliation or shyness, and it’s completely safe to mix with alcohol and the like…”
 
The man watched her carefully and laughed loudly. “Well, normally, I’d say no way…” 
 
Amirya stared into his eyes. She saw them through the holes of his mask, and she pushed as hard as she could with her mental strength. “Drink it,” she said softly, encouraging. She leaned across the table and touched his hands, pushing her energy into his skin. “Go on…”
 
She had been practicing bewitching with Yanafir, but that girl was already subservient to her mentally, so there wasn’t much resistance. This wasn’t a power she wanted to depend on, either. Elle had taught her how dangerous and warped it could get as well as how easy it was to break.
 
A small light pink ring glowed around the man’s pupil, and he grabbed her hand and grinned, snatched the bottle and chugged it back, never releasing her. His mind was weak to a beautiful face.
 
“...” He licked his lips, and after a minute, he laughed. “Wow… this does feel amazing… it works so fast, too.”
 
Amirya watched him closely. “Good. Now release me, and take me to the white hair fighter with red eyes.”
 
The man stood. He wavered slightly and grabbed his head, “That… that’s one, bought…”
 
“You’re going to give him to me.” Amirya said.
 
He had drank the obedience potion. That, combined with as much bewitching energy as she could muster, should have him listening to each command. Of course, the potion brewed with her blood as the master ingredient, made herself the apex of control, which meant it would not affect her if she drank it, only others. 
 
Perhaps - she could try a spell since the bewitching seemed much too weak.
 
After a moment of thought, Amirya said, “Cease any feeling of worry, obey me, quickly hurry, and let all the rest be blurry.”
Elle told her not to underestimate the power of a witch’s word. The power of a simple poem and how it can charm the will of the world around one to obey their magic. 
 
“Yes… yes,” the man shuffled to the wall and opened a secret door.
 
“Interesting.” Amirya muttered as she grabbed her mask and fit it back on, trailing after him down a dark staircase. It opened into a barely-lit basement with cobble floors and iron bars down both sides, animals and beasts in some of them. He walked past, and Amirya did her best to ignore the them. She felt their weary souls call to her. 
 
Soon… you’ll be released soon. I’m sorry.
 
They passed two guards who only nodded to the man in front of Amirya - they eyed her but said nothing. Through another door, there was a hallway with several prison-like doors instead of bars. Amirya felt even sicker than before. How could even more spirits linger here?
 
The man went to the third cell and slurred his words as he spoke, “...The handcuffs…” 
 
“Give the man to me,” she pressured again. The half-potion would only last for half an hour, maybe even less considering there was no telling what else mingled in this man’s system.
 
He unlocked the door and pushed it open. The man who sometimes tormented her dreams sat on a bed; his dull gray and blue aura lazily swirling within him. He looked up with half-lidded, bored eyes, and smirked, “Is it time to fight again? Already?”
 
“Bought… already bought…” the man murmured. 
 
On edge, Amirya casted a quick glance at him and beckoned the white haired one over. “Come quickly.”
 
“Hm?” The man tilted his head but stood up. He came to the door and smiled down at Amirya, holding out his hands, “The cuffs, right? While you change out the necklace.”
 
The chain that hung around his neck was inscribed by a wizard’s mark. These types of devices were supposedly outlawed nearly twenty years ago, but the production never stopped on the black market. A person could inject their energy into the necklace and whatever companion component that was made with it to connect the two and allow the owner to punish the one who wore the necklace with pain as a way of control.
 
“Take it off,” she told the man.
 
“Off,” the man mumbled. He shook his head, “Not me.”
 
“Take us then, already,” Amirya said, impatient. 
 
The white haired man whistled, wiggling his eyebrows. She spun, following the masked man as the slave trailed behind her. Her anxiety kicked up several notches with the man who killed Raven behind her. They left the hallway and headed down the opposite way they came, going into another doorway and up, leading back out into another office. Another man stood in the room. Amirya swallowed.
 
“This one, the necklace,” the man who led her there said.
 
The blue-haired man stood from the desk. He did not wear a mask. Amirya vaguely recognized him - one of Viscount Rowley’s vassals - he attended banquets she had. He frowned, staring at the masked man.
 
“Why didn’t you warn me you were coming? Why isn’t he masked? This isn’t the buyer for that one…” He started.
 
“I offered something better,” Amirya interjected, crossing her arms. “I want to leave with what’s mine, so I rushed him. Are you not capable of performing your job?”
 
Used to snobby nobles, the man did not flinch. He glanced at the masked man, “Sorry, miss, but for the sale…”
 
“Viscount Rowley promised me this wouldn’t be an issue,” Amirya name-dropped. She inspected her nails on the back of her hand. “Yet, here I am, having an issue.”
 
Her heart raced. Though Viscount Rowley ran this operation, that information was not easily known. It may be the biggest secret - next to the fact he was in the pocket of the queen. It clearly signaled Amirya’s status. Her nerves were so fried though, she couldn’t even think a proper sentence. 
 
Suddenly, she remembered the token Finri showed at the front door. She grabbed it and unceremoniously tossed it to the man. He managed to catch it and inspected it closely, his eyes widening.
 
“Ah, I see,” he said. He quickly came around the desk and stood in front of the white haired man, who watched the entire interaction with careful, apt attention. 
 
The blue haired man rolled up his sleeves, which revealed nearly two dozen bracelets, each unique. He touched the necklace on the slave, and one of the bracelets lightly glowed in response. He grabbed it, tugged it off, and held it against the clasp on his neck, allowing it to undo. With the jewelry in hand, he went back to his desk but remained anxious. 
 
“Lady, still, I strongly suggest something to control him with…” he started.
 
The masked man groaned, leaning forward and grabbing his head. “Bought… already… give to her…”
 
Everyone in the room stood very still and silent. The blue haired man glanced between the girl and his comrade, then he reached across his desk toward a golden bell. Panic struck Amirya’s heart. She lifted her hand, mentally grasping a crystal ball on the desk, and flicked her wrist. It flew across and slammed into his head. He went down fast. 
 
The masked man winced at the sound and mumbled, “Wait, wait-”
 
Amirya searched her bag quickly and snagged the dagger Cassivan gifted her on her birthday. She grabbed the masked man’s arm and nicked his forearm.
 
The man blinked a few times and then slowly closed his eyes and slumped down. She stepped back so his weight would not land on her and quickly stepped over and cut the blue haired man too, just in case.
 
She turned her gaze onto the red eyed man who had his lips pursed. He scratched his neck, “Well, that’s awkward, and that kind of thing–” he narrowed his eyes, a wolfish grin stretching on his face, “What characteristic, wind? But I didn’t feel a gust - is it a skill? That’s interesting.”
 
“Follow me,” Amirya said as she headed for the door. For a moment, she worried when she realized he could simply… not listen to her. With his strength - no, he could kill her. But when she turned her head, he was right behind her, smiling and amused. 
 
“Mmm, who is my buyer?” He asked. 
 
Amirya ignored him, starting down a hallway with quick steps. She had no clue if this was the right way. He then caressed her hair, his fingers touching her neck.
 
Amirya flinched, hard, and jumped away from him, grabbing at her neck. “Don’t touch!”
 
“But I’m so curious,” he said, eyes glinting. “You won’t even say who you are, but I did heard a whisper of who was supposed to buy me.”
 
Amirya swallowed. He knew Cassivan, the prince, came here? That he was planning on purchasing this slave? How could he know such a thing in a place where identities were secret? No, how could he know that when his status was that of a slave, trapped here? He became even more mysterious and dangerous so fast.
 
“Behave,” she said, forcing her bravado. 
 
She faced the hallway again, but before she moved forward, his cold hands clutched her upper arms tightly. He angled his head next to hers from behind and whispered in her ear, “Are you looking for the way out? I know the way.”
 
Amirya shuddered and shrugged him off. If he hadn’t let her, would she have been able to escape his grasp? She stepped away. “Show me, then.”
 
The man looked her over slowly and clicked his tongue. He strode forward and Amirya quickly followed him, and soon, they were back in the large lobby of the casino she and Finri originally arrived in. 
 
None of the people in the room looked at them, like they couldn’t sense their presence. He spun around and grabbed her waist, then jumped, landing on the second level. She yelped and pushed against him, but his casual strength beat all of hers, and he slammed open a window, stepping out onto the balcony. 
 
“Let-” she said.
 
He jumped from the balcony and landed in the alleyway. He let her slip through her hands, and Amirya stumbled, standing a few feet away from him, an incredulous look in her eyes.
 
“What now, master?” He said, something dark lurking beneath his words. He smiled, but there was something sinister in his eyes. His aura, the entire time, emanated boredom and curiosity with a tinge of annoyance. He felt dangerous. If she made the wrong move here… but the high-intensity situation left Amirya a bit numb to her instincts and emotions. 
 
“Don’t call me master,” she said, straightening her cloak. 
 
“You’re my master, no?” He slinked forward. When Amirya backed away, he continued. He plucked her mask so fast that she couldn’t stop it. She blinked, and he seemed slightly surprised as well. “My master is pretty. What was she in such a hurry for, I wonder.”
 
“Nothing! You have no master!” Amirya said. She reached for the mask but he held it away, so she gave up rather than participate a game of keep away. “Just leave here; don’t take any master.” 
 
Don’t come back!
 
That thought sobered her up. She already knew he could escape anytime. She was so caught up on keeping the prince and this man away from one another, she failed to realize this man could go back to the ring. Whatever he wanted to obtain by staying at this place… he shouldn’t get it. But was there a way to stop him from going back?
 
“...Who sent you?” he asked.
 
“I sent myself.”
 
“Why me?”
 
Amirya looked down the alley, hoping to see Finri. “Well, it’ll be everyone, soon enough.”
 
“But, it’s just me, right now.” He stepped into her space again, casting a shadow over her face. 
 
Amirya met his eyes, refusing to back down even though she trembled. “Well, you know who had their eye on you. That wasn’t going to end well.” 
 
For me.
 
Raven’s bloody face with his mutilated eye tormented her mind, over and over.
 
“I could be someone evil, too,” he whispered. He reached up and placed his hands loosely around her neck, resting them on her shoulders. “I could strangle your delicate white throat.”
 
Some part of her logical brain was well aware that fear was the appropriate response. She was exhausted though. She was sick of picturing Raven. A strong spike of irritation and anger had her snap, “It’s not my time yet, and you’re more of an errand boy than an executioner.” 
 
A lump settled in her throat even as she glared at him. He blinked and laughed at her response. Amirya shoved his hands away from her, and he caught a strand of her hair, bringing it up to his nose - he was right, the scent was expensive and luxurious.
 
“You must not have seen me fight much, then.” He smirked.
 
Amirya harshly slapped his hand that held her hair.
 
He chuckled again and asked, “What’s the name of my master?” 
 
“I’m not! No! Stop it! Go!”
 
“What? You free me and then drop me like I’m trash? I have nowhere to go - what if I just go back there?” he asked.
 
“You are ridiculous,” Amirya said. Then, a question crossed her mind. “Your name? Who are you?” Did the book ever name him?
 
This stunned him, leaving him for a loss of words. Finally, he said, “You don’t know? Then why-” he cleared his throat. He easily slipped back into the attitude he had prior to his shock, smirking again. 
 
Oddly, Amirya thought how endearing Finri’s smirks were and how incredibly annoying this man’s was. He realized the girl didn’t know. The suspicion in his aura dissipated. Amirya wasn’t sure why he felt more comfortable, all of the sudden. 
 
“Since you’re my mas… my benefactor, please give me a name, because I don’t have one.”
 
“I don’t believe you,” Amirya said nastily.
 
She felt it, then. Cinna trying to peer through the shadow, to reach her. He couldn’t though, he hadn’t transformed fully, and their bond wasn’t there. He must have been feeling her emotions, this entire time. She tried to take a calming breath.
 
“But what can I do? Please name me,” he tried to step closer again.
 
“Nix,” Amirya blurted.  
 
She felt pressured to make this man leave already, so she simply said the first name that came to mind - her other familiar. Immediately, a sense of disgust pervaded her body. How could she do that?
 
“...Odd, I like it.” His eyes dropped, following her curly hair. Amirya glanced down and saw the edges of her hair turned purple. She threw her ponytail behind her back and snatched her hood up.
 
“Don’t follow me!” She commanded as she ran away. “And don’t go back! It’ll be worthless, anyways!”
 
Nix watched her with a blank expression, muttering to himself, “Either I need to get rid of an annoyance, or something interesting just happened.”
 
  He jumped up, way higher than the average person was capable of, floating a bit before landing softly on a rooftop. From the view, he saw where the girl with quickly turning purple hair turned. 
 
“Well, I knew the prince was involved in this… but doesn’t the princess have pink eyes and purple hair?” He rubbed his chin, falling deep in thought. It probably, still, would be easier if the prince bought him as a servant and took him into the palace, but he felt he should investigate this first.
 
hhEx2GL.png
 
33