Witch Princess: Part 1: Chapter 19
527 13 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 19
 
Amirya’s attendance was not great. She mostly holed up somewhere else, learning history, culture, or the fundamentals she should already possess. 
 
Today, though, Gwynna’s class would introduce the higher tier of alchemy and practice potion making. This interested her; she wanted to know the difference between a witch’s magic potions and alchemy’s. First off, she already knew there would wasn’t any incantations or spells while dealing with alchemy.
 
Gwynna ignored her table, circling around to the others. They attempted a basic healing potion for superficial cuts, and healing was something Amirya still hadn’t figured out with her brewery. 
 
Lately, she had more luck mixing spun up spells while concocting. She reached out for the blood of a fairy tree, her hand pausing over it. Fairy trees in the Aureliun kingdom were only found in the very top of the north and in the witch’s forest, so it was an expensive but effective ingredient. 
 
Her stomach, though, churned nervously when she reached for it. Glancing to the table beside her, both their bottles had a blackish green color. In the corner of her vision, she saw Gwynna shoot her a glance with a smirk, her aura then flipped wickedly.
 
“...” Amirya picked up the vial and opened it, sniffing.
 
What was this scent?
 
What do you think, Cinna? 
 
Her beast stood up from his position on the floor, stretched out, and then leaned up, his nose wiggling. His lips pulled back, his sharp teeth barring behind them while a low growl emerged. He then sneezed with a dramatic jerk of his head.
 
Sephine, next to her, moved her eyes without shifting her head to watch but then returned to reading her book. She had been strangely quiet and reserved, and Amirya didn’t know how to approach or ask what was wrong; the girl’s aura often flickered in irritation. The princess felt if she said the right - or wrong, really - thing, then her friend would explode with the pent up feelings swirling within her.
 
The professor clapped her hands which drew the attention of everyone in the class.
 
“Of course, Lady Rivertill, your alchemy is top notch. As expected.” Gwynna smiled and lifted up a dark red liquid to show everyone. “How about we demonstrate how proper potions should work?”
 
Gwynna grabbed a knife from under her cloak. Izell gasped and said, “Professor, no -”
 
“Don’t worry, I have full confidence!” She smiled and cut her wrist.
 
What, am I watching a play right now? 
 
Amirya, unamused, watched the theatrical display as the professor splashed the liquid over. The skin knitted itself together, and the blood ceased to flow. Gasps erupted from others and a little applause. Only a small scar remained.
 
“Worthy of being an alchemist for the temple,” Gwynna praised. The temple hoarded potions and tried to hold all the rights to potion making to raise their importance in the kingdom. Unsurprisingly, Gwynna headed for Amirya next. 
 
A play indeed. 
 
“Princess,” Gwynna said in a sickening sweet voice. “Have you finished? I have no doubt the king’s daughter will also succeed. Let’s also show off your skills.”
 
What, is the fairy tree blood something that will hurt you? Then will this be spun that I’m an idiot who hurt a teacher? Or perhaps a malicious idiot? Or is the plan to embarrass me, get me to react?
 
Amirya stared into the lady’s eyes, trying to decipher. She felt something there; she could read her dark intentions.
 
“Please, let’s not keep the class waiting in such anticipation, Your Highness!” Gwynna’s grin stayed wide. 
 
The people from the alley came to mind - where had she taken them?
 
Amirya swallowed, thinking quickly. 
 
“Of course!” She said brightly. The sudden shift shocked those around - Gwynna stepped back, and Sephine straightened up from her book. Amirya dumped the fairy tree blood in along with the dust of a mountain flower - the color slightly different from the rest of the room’s - probably to dye the potion into the perfect dark red color. 
 
The potion gurgled unpleasantly and Amirya saw the reflection of her eyes in the dark liquid. It was acidic, she saw - there was a dark smoke around it, bordering on what a curse would like like. Cinna growled somewhere behind her.
 
Alchemy for Aureliuns was centered around drawing out the aura properties that all matter held to achieve certain results. Meanwhile, her alchemy - her brewery - aimed to manipulate the world around her with its effects.
 
She felt the discomfort of the students in the room. Well aware of the rumor that spread on how she used Cinna to attack people that annoy her, she shushed him. With her hand hovering over the liquid, Gwynna nearly smacked it away, “Your Highness! You could contaminate the product by touching it.”
 
“I won’t touch it,” Amirya almost joked she would bless it. “I’m trying to endow some good luck into it.”
 
Gwynna snickered, but the princess didn’t react. She focused. She couldn’t change the potion itself, but she negated the most harmful properties by pulling and pushing the energy within, manipulating it.
 
Purify. Purify.
 
Only the simplest spells worked with her silent casting, like a weak ball of fire or light. She couldn’t very well say a bit of poetry about purification in front of the class, though. Whatever that ingredient was, she could not completely eradicate the effect. She pushed the pre-made paper with symbols on it under the bowl that was raised on stilts and placed two fingers on it.
 
“Unify,” she mumbled and inserted a little of her energy. Gwynna lifted the knife once more, and the princess quickly snatched it.
The color drained from Gwynna’s face, “Princess?”
 
“How could I, a royal, dare make any subject harm themselves for my benefit? Even if it is to study and learn,” Amirya said innocently. “Plus, Professor - don’t you know my grades? How can you have so much confidence in me?”
 
A small bead of sweat traveled down the side of her weathered face, “Your Highness, do not-”
 
“There’s no way you’re giving me a command, right? Do you have a suggestion for me, perhaps?” Amirya blinked, opening up her eyes wider for an innocent look.
 
“Of… of course, Princess, allow me,” Gwynna reached out.
 
“Why?” She asked.
 
“It’s, dangerous-” Gwynna could not look away from the liquid.
 
“Then why would you do it?” Amirya asked.
 
“Well, I'm the teacher… I believe in you with a full heart.”
 
Even after these past few months, you still think I would jump at the chance to try and upstage my cousin? Or did you think I’d get red faced and scream that you couldn’t do it? 
 
One corner of her mouth lifted up in a smile, “Then what’s the problem?”
 
Gwynna’s eyes finally rose to Amirya’s. She swallowed, “A royal - bleed? In my class? Your Highness, don’t do this to an old woman…”
 
“We can just use my cousin’s potion if something goes wrong.” Amirya twirled around, her dress fluttering, “Right, Lady Izelle?”
 
Izelle’s mouth dropped a little but she completely composed herself, laughing some, “Sure, sure.”
 
“Great,” Amirya opened her hand, aiming the knife.
 
Sephine placed her hand over Amirya’s. A troubled expression crossed the silver-haired girl’s face and she said, “Princess, please use this one instead…”
 
“I could never,” Amirya said blankly. Sephine’s spirit suddenly shifted angrily. Sephine gripped her hand. 
 
“Then stop,” she said softly.
 
“Sure,” Amirya easily dropped it for Sephine’s sake. She turned back to Gwynna. “If I cannot be cut, then no one can be.”
 
“Your Highness,” Gwynna started.
 
“Cousin,” Izelle said from behind. She cleared her throat. “The teacher’s role is to teach. Please don’t be reckless and just heed her guidance.”
 
“But what if the potion is wrong?” Amirya said simply.
 
“Why do you have such little confidence? A noble, no, a royal, is capable of a healing potion.” Izelle smirked and tucked some of her dark blond hair behind her. “And the alchemist symbol was pre-made by the Alchemy school - there wouldn’t be anything wrong.” 
 
Amirya made an ah-ha noise at the girl’s true meaning - so Izelle is more royal than I? 
 
Besides the symbols on paper, the amount of energy, the way everything was added and mixed together, the quantity and quality to the slightest variation mattered. And in this case, it was more than evident it was not correctly done. 
 
She felt it without even looking. The other students, who watched in anticipation, most of them waited for her to fail; they were giddy for it. Amirya, in the past and maybe even recently, would have felt deeply wronged. 
 
Why her? Just because her mother was not the royal queen? She hadn’t asked for her birth. But, the images of last week roamed in her mind: the people in the streets and those still in that forsaken facility sold like cattle. This humiliation was so trivial and beneath her. 
 
She thought, after Zee, she understood how pathetic she was, but now…
 
Amirya shoved her hand in the liquid.
 
A chaotic surge of energy followed. Though most remained quiet and just enjoyed their entertainment, spirits went wild, and Gwynna choked on air. Even Izelle staggered backwards.
 
“Princess!” Sephine screamed. He grabbed and yanked her arm out, and it came out red.
 
  “Oh,” Amirya said dumbly. “It burns and is painful. I wonder what would have happened with an open wound?”
 
“Your… your highness!” Gwynna said through clenched teeth. She had her arms outreached but dared not touch Amirya. Amirya turned and saw Izelle holding back laughter.
 
“Oh, cousin,” Izelle said in a tender voice. “What kind of behavior? And for such poor alchemy…” she trailed off and covered her mouth with her hand as though hurting for her cousin’s humiliation. 
 
No matter - the situation they wanted, that they envisioned, was far worse than this. Even if others understood the set up, no one would come to her side. Amirya blinked, surprised, as Sephine hurriedly snatched the bottle off Izelle’s desk.
 
“Ah, that’s for open wounds, right?” Amirya said and Sephine paused. 
 
Seph’s hands trembled and she lowered her head so that her bangs hid her face. 
 
Her anger and indignation at Gwynna and Izelle quickly dissipated as she faced her upset friend. 
 
“I’m sorry,” Amirya said in a gentle voice. “Truth was I knew my abilities were incompetent, and I feared to have anyone test a potion I made, so I did something reckless to prevent anyone from getting hurt. Se- Lady Sephine,” Amirya reached out her unhurt hand, but Sephine turned and tossed the bottle back on Izelle’s desk.
 
Sephine bowed to the teacher, “Excuse us. I must take Her Highness to the medical building.”
 
She grabbed their bag, and Cinna sprang up, circling her feet as she returned to the princess, taking her arm and leading her out. 
 
Amirya, a bit dazed, glanced up and saw the faces of the other students. Some stayed entertained and judgmental, but some… their spirits were soft as they looked at the princess. Not pity nor admiration, but a gentleness she did not see beyond Estel, Sephine, or Raven.
 
The hell?
 
 
 
 
Sitting on a soft bed, Cinna nudged her hurt hand with his nose.
 
“No,” she said softly. As her familiar, he could take any pain or damage from her, but Amirya didn’t like that.
 
Sephine sat across the room, her back to the princess as she stared out a window. She wanted to remember more of Seph’s life, but the book nor memories held anything for her. Seph wasn’t a character in them beyond Estel’s funeral. 
 
For a moment back there, she had panicked a little. The familiar sensation of being forced into a losing scenario had frightened her. The set-up brought a memory back, stinging her mind. She closed her eyes and focus. She grabbed the glimmering memory as soon as she could.
 
 
 
“I didn’t!” Amirya screamed. She knelt on the floor, tears streaking her face, only held up by the guard’s hand on her upper arm. “Shut up!” She hollered. She had been brought to the Sun Palace, in the front throne room.
 
Finri’s carriage to the north had diverged into the witch’s forest - a place where people do not return from. An assassin targeted her, drove her into there, attacked her, and left her. The news came before Finri’s return. Evidence pointed to Amirya, the princess who harassed and hated the Saint.
 
Corentine scoffed from her throne, opening her fan in front of her face, “Even in this kind of situation, you’re acting like that?”
“You-!” Amirya tried wrenching from the guard without success. “You liar!”
 
“Me?”
 
“Quiet,” Galien said, a deep tiredness in his voice.
 
“Father…” Amirya slumped, her body trembling. “Believe me!”
 
“Sister,” Cassivan said, his face contorted with thinly veiled unease. Usually, he was pleased by any potential failure of the princess, but right now, he seemed lackluster about it. “This is too much, even for you.”
 
Amirya looked up. Behind Galien, Raven stood. His eyes closed as he frowned. He could not say nor do anything here. Valerian was already in the north for his final year’s expedition, and even if was present, he would not come to her defense. 
 
“Against a Saint,” Corentine said, aghast.
 
“You’re lucky she lives,” Cassivan injected. 
 
“Enough,” Galien said again and rubbed his forehead with the tips of his fingers. Cassivan smirked but shook his head, making it look like an expression of disbelief, while Corentine’s smile was hidden behind her fan.
 
A chaotic motion flared outside. Shouting, high energy - Amirya, unable to set boundaries with auras, flinched and became even more riled up. She began to cry more, involuntarily, tears cascading down her red face as she was overcome with emotions. 
 
Cassivan, typically, loved making Amirya cry or freak out. Right now, his eyebrows knitted together and he stopped smirking. He looked uncomfortable.
 
A teal dragon’s head popped into the room, busting open the double throne doors. Everyone was speechless. It was not a fully grown dragon - they would not have fit, but a dragon that could still wiggle through the door. Behind it, a disheveled and dirty red head appeared - Finri.
 
“The saint!” A priest of the temple cried out and dropped to his knees, “With - a dragon! A dragon has returned to Aurelius! It’s a sign - my king -”
 
“Shut up,” Cassivan snapped. Jealousy ricocheted around inside his aura. He hated Finri, was jealous of her prestige and ability.
Finri blinked slowly then laughed, scratching her head. “Sorry for the dramatic entrance, but ah - I was a bit upset - with almost being murdered and all.” She averted her eyes at the word ‘murdered’ as though it was a lie.
 
Corentine, quickly adapting, cleared her throat and stood, “And you return… with a dragon.”
 
Corentine wanted to make Finri one of Cassivan’s queens. Not the first one to rule, never that because she was still of common origins, but one of them - if she was strong and a saint, she should belong to her son. 
 
Instead, that commoner broke Amirya’s engagement and took the young lord Valerian. While happy about the princess’s lack of support from this, the irritation at the whole situation evolved into the current predicament. If she won’t be Cassivan’s, then she could die. They didn’t need an independent Saint, especially in the north.
 
“I understand, child,” the queen said in her most motherly tone. “How frightening. Worry not, we already found the culprit. Your Majesty!” She turned to Galien. “We need to have a feast for the return of the saint and her dragon. The priest is right. It’s a sign.” Her mind already worked how to turn this into Cassivan’s favor.
 
“What a conversation turner,” Finri said. 
 
The nobles shifted uncomfortably; there was a limit to what they thought even the Saint should get away with, though her rude and brash behavior was well-known by now. 
 
“I’m surprised - I thought for sure the culprit would get away given their notoriety. Where are they?” Finri went as far as to place her hand on her forehead and turn her head left and right, searching.

“What do you mean,” Corentine said with a crooked smile. “It is a great shame, but the princess–”
 
“Who is the culprit, Saint?” Galien asked simply, cutting everyone off. He leaned back in his chair, staring at the girl without expression showing. 
 
Amirya perked up. It wasn’t her - and then she deflated. But what would stop Finri from saying it was her? Everyone hated -
“The midnight sins,” Finri said simply. “We took out most of them by taking out their headquarters and rooting out most of their operations. But not all were caught - by far. We missed so many of them. That’s evident. Given their hands are stuck in the middle of politics. The human experiments. All that noise.”
 
“What,” Corentine started, but Finri continued.
 
“Back when I was taking them down before, there was a notable man with white hair and red eyes.”
 
Without anyone noticing, Cassivan’s eyes widened.
 
“Strong fellow. He came to try and kill me. Vengeance? Political plan?” Finri cupped her chin, narrowing her brows. “One of those? Probably whoever owns the dogs of the gang.” Her eyes fell on the queen. “Probably?”
 
“It’s not nonsense,” Corentine said with false calm, “Which makes this all the more worrying, since we found the connection with your assassination attempt with the princess.”
 
“No way,” Finri said dismissively, waving her hand. “Princess Amirya has nothing to do with this.”
 
Finri’s yellow eyes caught Amirya’s pink ones, peeking through her dark strands of hair falling in her face. She breathed heavily, her chest noticeably rising and falling, and she yanked on her arm again. This time, the guard released his grip, and Amirya hugged herself.
 
“I told you!” she spat, glaring at the floor before raising her defiant gaze. “You opportunistic, hateful fools!”
 
“Amirya,” Galien said in a scolding tone.
 
“I hate you,” she cried. He did not react. “All of you.”
 
“How splendid of you, Lady Finri.” Corentine praised and walked up to stand next to her son. “To be so faithful and forgiving to someone who has harassed you so dutifully.”
 
“Harassed?” Finri asked with big ignorant doe eyes. “When did that happen?”
 
Even Amirya looked at her with confusion. 
 
“The princess likes to play pranks,” Finri said with a shrug, “and they’re so trivial and light-hearted. Who could ever be bothered by such things?”
 
  Some people looked at Finri’s cropped hair at chin length - a cut made thanks to Amirya. 
 
“You!” Amirya hissed. “Do you enjoy being so righteous? Trying to be my savior? I don’t need you!”
 
Galien raised his hand, “I’m pleased with the wisdom the Saint chosen by the temple shows. Until this can be sorted, Amirya, you will be secluded in the Northern tower. No one will come; no one will go. I’m sure the temple will want a meeting concerning the dragon.”
 
His eyes laid on the beast, who only the king had noticed stared at his daughter the entire time. The dragon turned his head and then brightly glowed, the image of it obscured, until a dark skinned girl with the same color hair as the dragon’s scales appeared. Small horns and pointed ears laid on her head and she stretched her arms and legs. Gold bands dangled on her wrists and ankles and she was wrapped in a loose dress tied with an ornament rope.
 
“I didn’t do anything!” Amirya screamed again, but Galien cut her off with a raised hand.
 
Her eyes whipped to Finri and she cried out, “If only you had died!”
 
“Oh?” Finri laughed. “That’s the spirit! No more crying!”
 
 
 
 
Amirya blinked. She touched her upper lip, but her hand came back dry - no nosebleed this time, only a minor ache behind her ears. That was right - Finri had came to her defense. The only one that ever did in her first life after Estel was gone. 
 
Not even her father stood up for her when it mattered.
 
As Amirya blushed, her thoughts on Finri, another recollection raced through her thoughts. She chased it, wanting to know, wanting to see.
 
 
 
Two days passed since Amirya’s seclusion in the Northern Tower. Her closest maids - who she detested - Etora and Yanafir accompanied her, but they rarely stayed in the tower. The good thing was that the Queen could not enter to have Petra discipline her.  

Yanafir came with food for her. That did not stop this order from feeling worse than anything else prior - a final testament to how she was abandoned and unloved. She trashed every corner of the tower, and the maids barely bothered to fix it.
 
Finri let out a whistle, perched on an open window. “What a mess!” 
 
“Why are you here!” Amirya yelled. “Who let you in! Get out!”
 
“Out?” Finri pursed her lips. “I came in here by myself. Aren’t you the one that wants out? And can’t you at least be a little impressed that I climbed this tall ass tower for you?”
 
Amirya grabbed something, anything, off the table and chucked it at the girl. Finri didn’t move and let the object bounce off her head.
 
“Ouch,” Finri said. “An insect bite me?” She touched her forehead.
 
Amirya let out a scream.
 
“The tantrums don’t seem to be working out well for you, yeah?” Finri mused.
 
“Leave! You’ve won! You’ve gotten everything! Get out!” Amirya screamed.
 
“Well, I do have to go to the north to keep a deal I made,” Finri said, swinging her feet. “Wanna come with, Amirya? Ah, Princess,” Finri quickly corrected at Amirya’s reddening face.
 
“Stop gloating! What a Saint you are!” Amirya yelled. She approached with her hands clenched tight. 
 
“Well, I could be persuaded to stay in the capital to play with you instead,” Finri continued.
 
“Why,” Amirya sobbed, tears falling heavily from her eyes. “You stole Valerian! He was mine! Mine, you had no right…”
 
Finri tilted her head; her eyes looked bright gold and yellow even though the sun was behind her, casting her front in shadow. “Ah, that’s right. Your kind - so selfish. The things you like must be yours. What? Was he bright and shiny, so you saw him as your toy? Ya didn’t get to play with him enough before I came along?”
 
Amirya glared and spoke through her gritted teeth, “It’s your fault.”
 
“Mine?” Finri jumped off the sill, resting her arms behind her back as she leisurely closed the distance. “Were you trying to punish me all this time? For taking your toy? I just thought the princess was being so cute and silly - kind of like a pathetic puppy not getting it’s way. But I kind of like that sort of thing. But, why not punish Valerian-”
 
Amirya slapped Finri.
 
A slow smile spread on Finri’s face. “Oh, come on. That doesn’t even hurt. You need to get a lot stronger to measure up to me, ya know. Actually use your power.”
 
Anger flared. The princess took it as an insult. Everyone knew Amirya had basically no power. She began to hit Finri. She struck with all her strength, crying out in anger as nothing affected the other girl, until finally Finri grabbed Amirya’s wrists and held her hands up with great ease. Amirya began kicking at her instead, now.
 
“The only thing I had left!” She yelled. “Why did you take the only thing I had left!”
 
“Eh?” Finri leaned closed, her face inches from Amirya’s. “But you have yourself, yeah? Isn’t that better? Why are you so hung up on that loser? Was he that interesting to be so obsessed?” 
 
Finri stepped forward, and for the first time since they met, she seemed actually annoyed. Amirya stepped back, but the space she had was limited thanks to Finri’s grip. She struggled to get away, but her strength was a kitten’s compared to Finri’s. As she backed up, Finri followed, until she hit the table behind her. 
 
“But aren’t I more interesting, princess? If you’re going to obsess, chose me. I would play with you as much as you want. I don’t get it - everyone wants their grubby little hands on me. Want to use me for this and that. Why not you? You’re the only one I was ever interested in, in the first place. Everyone else is passing amusement. Aren’t I impressive? Haven’t you thought about how could use me at least once? I promise I’m more fun than that self-absorbed, self-righteous tool.”
 
As Amirya heard her words, she stopped struggling, a great confusion lapping over her. She gaped up at the girl now above her, closing and opening her mouth. What the hell was this? Finri released her wrists but dropped her hands on either side of the princess, boxing her in. 
 
“...Princess,” Finri smiled. “Why don’t you learn your own power? I think you’ll discover a lot of fun and find lots of toys beyond imagination. I’ll be back after the north. I won’t leave you here. Everyone else is content to abandon you. They’re all idiots. I can teach you things. I’ll stay with you.”
 
It took a long time for a now calm Amirya to respond with a simple, “Why?”
 
“Why?” Finri parroted. She hummed, standing straight and allowing Amirya to escape her hold, but Amirya didn’t move. 
 
Finri paced towards the window, her gaze upwards as thought pondering, “I’ve always wanted to know you. Still do - plus, you’re so cute!” Finri grinned. She took one leg and stepped onto the window perch, a chuckle leaving her, “I bet you could seduce me with just one smile. I don’t think I’ve ever received - no, even seen one from you. Ah, I really can’t get over you puppy-like eyes, begging and adorable.”
Amirya didn’t respond. Finri took her position to leap from the window. She glanced back and smirked, “You can do better than this. How about I show you the world? Or a brand new one? What do you say?”
 
Amirya hesitantly approached the window, eyeing her carefully. “How do I know you’re not lying?”
 
“I guess you’ll know when I come back for you and break you out of here,” Finri said and boldly placed her hand on Amirya’s hip, pulling her a little closer to the window. “So, be a good girl and wait.”
 
Finri grinned, leaned in, and kissed Amirya on the small mole below her left eye. Before Amirya responded, she jumped from the window.
 
 
 
 
Amirya shot up from the bed, her face turning completely red. The movement startled Sephine who gave her a crazy look, “Are you okay, Princess?”
 
“Y-yes,” Amirya stammered. Sephine’s worry soared though, and she rushed to Amirya, grabbing a handkerchief. Her nose started to bleed a little as a few other, smaller memories trickled in.
 
She pressed the fabric to her nose and averted her eyes. 
 
What the hell kind of memory was that?
 
How had she never remembered that from her memories or from the book? It was near the end of the story, but. Finri was coming back for her? 
 
The physician arrived. The entire time she was checked out by them, while they made the potion to heal her hand, she went through the memory over and over. 
 
Finri said she was coming back for her. Finri said her life was capable of being better, that she could obtain strength. 
 
Elle taught me how to use my powers instead.
 
Amirya paused.
 
Aren’t Elle and Finri so similar? Even the way they smile, the sharp glint to their gaze…
 
Amirya brushed off what she considered impossible, not bothering to entertain it. Instead, she reminisced over the fact that it became obvious Finri never liked Valerian, even a little.
 
Amirya blushed again and touched her cool hands to her hot cheek, below her left eye.
 
 
 
 
“All of your general studies have improved,” Fayetta murmured as she flipped through the princess’s papers. “In the beginning, I was worried you were an idiot. Turns out you were just ignorant. Odd, you’d think-”
 
Solomon cut her off hurriedly, “S-sister! You can’t call the princess ignorant!”
 
“Well, she isn’t so ignorant anymore,” Fay clarified. Sol looked horrified.
 
Amirya smiled and turned her gaze away, flipping through her history book.
 
Finri leaned in close next to her, peering over her shoulder, “The continental war?”
 
Amirya blushed a little and moved away - not once could she meet Finri’s eyes today. And never did she blush so much in her life. 
Sephine sat at the corner of the table, ignoring the both of them as she read a novel and Cinna rested his head in her lap. Sephine attended the classes with the princess, but she didn’t actually have to study if she didn’t wish to, but she especially enjoyed the mathematics and literature classes.
 
“You have your own book,” Amirya tilted the book away from the redhead’s view.
 
“I lost it,” Finri lied.
 
“Stop it,” Amirya scolded. “It’s clearly right there.” She scooted forward, reading once more. 

“We’ve gone over that, don’t you know it?” Fay piped up.
 
“Well, yes,” Amirya admitted. “But I was just interested - the history of dragons in Aurelius…”
 
The continental started four hundred years ago; the settlements across this land entered an all-out battle to proclaim themselves the first empire. The Aurelius kingdom back then was actually four kingdoms, the central/west, the south, the north, and the east. The south and central merged and formed an alliance with the north, but the east at that time was formidable and a large military.
 
“A large factor was the witch’s forest?” Amirya said out loud.
 
“Hm?” Finri leaned back in, her breath ghosting over Amirya’s shoulder. Amirya still did not look her in the eye. She turned to the Vonne twins instead. “Is the story about the witch of the forest true?”
 
“Which one?” Fay said. “It’s true there was a witch of the forest, who sided with the northern kingdom, what, 600 years ago? Or at least there was someone who did. She helped subjugate the east and then blockade the north from the monsters and demons above. Apparently she moved mountains. There are many contradicting tales, though they’re all grand. They’ve about died out though, since the moment she disappeared 200 years ago is exactly when the portals opened and the demons invaded. Then, there was a Saint and her dragon who also disappeared after closing all the portals in Aurelius…”
 
“But-but really,” Sol added, “The four regions came together to form a kingdom because a dragon chose the Aurelius family to b-bond with. He shared his power. Made - made the kingdom strong enough to withstand all other enemies.”
 
“Is there a collection of the tales about the witch? I know all about the dragon,” Amirya said.
 
“You’re awfully interested in witches, Princess?” Finri teased, her tone indicating a question.
 
Amirya, involuntarily, glanced at the girl and was startled by the intense eye contact. “I suppose so,” she answered slowly.
 
“I wish there was still a witch!” Fay complained, closing her eyes and throwing her head back. “Their magic is different from a human’s, but there’s nothing in any of the records… imagine if we had that data…” 
 
  “It might just be similar to an elf’s,” Sol concluded. 
 
“Princess,” Finri whispered to gain her attention again. She cupped her hand to whisper in Amirya’s ear, “I have another lead if you want to join me again. Should we plan another charity outing?”
 
Amirya closed her eyes and tucked her hair around her ear to brush off the odd feeling Finri’s breath left. She nodded and sent a look towards Seph, who was still engrossed in her book. Finri touched Amirya’s hand for a moment and then withdrew.
 
I’m way too self aware when Finri is around.
 
[dragon girl]
r3VVlPE.png
40